Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

yo that site got me through my conlaw exam

Anyway I just got done getting the poo poo kicked out of me by Copyright, and now somehow I'm half done with law school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Merry Christmas thread

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

yo taking tim wu's communications law/policy class

watched a bunch of howdy doody and gi joe on the projector, it was tight

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

I tend to ignore your opinion on interviewing and job applications, simply because you go to Harvard Law so I assume that you could basically get away with anything and still have a job. Is that bad/inaccurate? I don't mean to be a jerk!

The law review kids are still doing fine for themselves, but the rest of us have definitely been feeling it (but then it may just be me because every day I wonder a little more how I ever got in in the first place)

Oh, and take Corps, with Subramanian if you can get in.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Speaking of hornbooks, what's a good one for Corporations with the Klein book?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Harvard grades are out, I got a percentage of H's more than last year that is indeterminate because it would require me to divide by 0

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Jove posted:

Apparently, grades came out today (HLS). I cannot bear to check them. Literally curled up in a ball on my bed, shaking.

Advice, lawgoons? I'm thinking wait a week and check while drunk.

What I did was keep a bottle of Mayflower IPA on my desk. If I did good I'd chug it to celebrate, if I did bad I'd chug it to dull the pain

(seriously check that poo poo)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

law sucks, draw cartoons everyday

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Here's an oddly relevant new cartoon.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

What's the "zzz" in the right panel?

Associate sleeping on the floor, it's a bit harder to see with the guy in the way

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

So I know there's a few posters in here that know about intellectual property law, and I know Petey has mentioned Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic. Is it even worth looking into the Berkman Center Cyberlaw Clinic given that I don't have an engineering/hard science undergrad background? Are there decent "soft" intellectual property jobs out there, or am I going to be completely hamstrung by an inability to sit for the patent bar? I haven't really had a huge interest in intellectual property until looking into Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic, but it's definitely not something I would want to pursue if it's poor employment without being able to sit for the patent bar.

Berkman has an amazing array of projects going on. Last semester I helped out with an access-to-justice thing, plus a little copyright/defamation on the side.

Chris Conley at ACLUNC once told me that it's not so much whether you understand the technology at the nuts-and-bolts level, but whether you understand what it means in a social/legal sense. I think that's very much the case at Berkman, too.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

gvibes posted:

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket - you're at Harvard, you'll be fine.

I'm not sure I would go that far. I've got a buddy--smart guy, did some neat stuff with the FCC his 2L summer--who's struggling even now.

Don't get me wrong, Berkman's great and you get to work shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the finest tech and cyber lawyers. But all that isn't going to change the reality of the job market, especially in a field that's already as marginal as soft IP.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Is anybody going to the Tenenbaum oral argument before the First Circuit Monday? Seems like it'd be a good way to get some nerdlaw cred in.

Also, where once there was but a ball of anxiety and rejection e-mails, there is a new comic

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

mrtoodles posted:

At least have a line at the bottom of your resume that says:
"Interests: I draw awesome legal cartoons. http://www.iamfuckingcool.com"

Actually, I do have something to that effect, and I get asked about it a lot in interviews. Maybe that's why I've never been on a callback?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

Red Bean Juice, please never stop making law comics. And when you finally become a judge with your shiny Harvard JD, please let me litigate in front of you so you can lay down an Order of Judgment that's purely in law comic format.

With that said, I'm going to go hit up these two new updates for Deadly Premonition LP. Saturday Night Thug Life.

Way ahead of you :smugdog:

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Hey, LA goons. I'll be summering downtown, but I am a hippie and hate cars. Would it be reasonably feasible for me to rely on public transit and not live out of the office? I was thinking of poking some friends at USC for sublets, or something like that.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Edit: I also really need a new username, this one was a throwaway in like 2007. I'm thinking awful obnoxious 1L joke so you can all automatically loathe me, since that is most efficient.

renvoi and stimpy

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

gold

I just want to add that even if you end up lucky and get into a school beyond your credentials (like me), the effect will be roughly analogous to signing up for an underground rugby league populated entirely by grizzly bears

Anyway, here's some dumb comics.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

you go to HLS, right? I feel like I'm in a comparable situation with regard to getting in to HLS beyond my credentials. I'm guessing my worries are well founded? any elaboration would be helpful. I don't want to be eaten alive by grizzly bears

To be fair, I think the public interest side has it worse. My one 3L friend who worked at the FTC last summer and seems pretty on top of things still doesn't have a job even now. I'm pretty afraid of ending up in the same boat, since I got killed at EIP (no callbacks, even from my safeties) and will be doing state government my 2L summer.

As for what happened at EIP, it's hard to say because--stop me if you've heard this before--I did everything I was supposed to. OCS podcasts, OCS-appointed headhunters, job search books, reading the latest news on each employer the morning of, that sort of thing. I can only speculate that employers were driven off by a confluence of A) straight P's, and B) my resume "looking like an academic's" (something I was told in the Quinn Emanuel hospitality suite), and C) my face being dumb.

But then, I have a 1L friend who actually has pretty good grades and didn't have his summer lined up until literally last week (and needless to say, it's no firm job), so consider that as well.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people here doing amazing things, but I get the feeling they're the type who would be leading the free world, HLS or no HLS. So where does that leave the rest of us? Well, the HLS brand is a weighty one. My wild speculation is it carries with it two main presumptions--that you're smart, and that you're a pompous East-Coast elitist rear end in a top hat. So when an employer sees your transcript and decides that maybe you're not actually that smart, what does that leave you with?

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

yeah, the "no grades" thing is sort of a misnomer. any firm that hires a lot of HLS grads know how to convert the HLS system into more conventional grading. only YLS 1L legitimately has no grades.

The P/H dichotomy (because that's what it is) literally maps perfectly onto the B+/A- dichotomy from undergrad

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not that smart and I'm not a pompous East Coast elitist rear end in a top hat, so it sounds like we're in about the same boat. It sounds like you did everything right and they just didn't like your resume (I also have a bit of a weird resume), but would you have any suggestions if you had to do it over? Anything you would have done differently?

Secondly, I'm headed to the ASW this weekend, is there anything you'd recommend specifically checking out?

As to your first question, the big thing would probably be to lowball your EIP bids. Take more safeties than you think you need, use the add/drop period if necessary, don't worry too hard about the V10 or even the V50.

Another thing is interview practice--I had two formal mocks over the summer, random networking, and some practice in front of the mirror, and while I think all my interviews went well in the sense that they were fairly cordial and I was never caught unprepared, I realize that OCI interviewers are always cordial regardless of whether they're actually interested.

Regarding your second question, I'm actually of the opinion that you'll have time to familiarize yourself with hangouts around campus (and most of them aren't that amazing.) For my ASW, I went to Wonder Bar in Allston with some friends from town. That's far enough out that girls will be impressed by the HLS name.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Blakkout posted:

Some of these journals must only publish annually and consist of like 5 people. That or every single person in the 2L class is staffing on one of them. I mean, 17 journals? That's so many.

Harvard has a class of 550

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

samglover posted:

proposition (non-sexy)

It's never sexy, is it :mad:

(check your e-mail)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I will refrain from commenting on my HLS OCI experience and instead post a comic

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I was up late watching the announcement, burned the seasoning right off my cast iron pan while attempting to make popcorn for the occasion, and had a 9 a.m. final this morning, but it's all okay because I'm doing a weekly comic for Bitter Lawyer now. I hope you'll check in even when I run out of ideas and all my comics are about a furry lawyer and a sarcastic gamer lawyer who sit on a couch and crib jokes from old Arsenio Hall routines

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Incitatus posted:

I look forward to taking my first case to appellate court so my Facebook status can be "Albert Wang is up on appeal"

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

A bit off topic, do you have any experience with on campus housing at HLS? I just got a waitlist number and I'm wondering if I'll manage to get into Gropius.

Petey might know about this too!

I don't know anyone who had a problem getting in as an incoming 1L. That said, this year might be a little dicey because the academic calendar was pushed up, but the summer rental schedule was not--resulting in, e.g. a block of my hall being straight-up unavailable for the lottery.

Gropius is a nice enough place for 1L year, even if you won't see much of it due to being in the library all the time.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MaximumBob posted:

People here are always saying you shouldn't go to law school, there are no jobs, nobody's making really money.

I say you can't have this job without going to law school.

I wish I could pull down $45m/year

and also be popular with women ages 25-34

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I appreciate all the advice I can get, so thanks for this. Do you have any recommended charting/outlining programs?

I just use Photoshop, plunk down blocks of text wherever and draw in lines, but for courses like Corporations that usually just ends up resulting in 200 MB PSD files.

I mapped for Admin last semester and managed to do pretty well despite being up against a room of 200 gunners, though

e: Prof. Fisher does amazing stuff with Mindjet for all his courses

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 7, 2011

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Omerta posted:

right click save as. Thanks a lot, that looks awesome. I haven't figured out how to do super cool things with the program yet. I kinda want to go to Kinkos and print this out on a big poster.

Acrobat lets you print one image to multiple pieces of paper if you're into cutting and taping, 6 pages did it for me

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I have literally never gotten one A in law school (because we're on the HP/P/LP system) (though even then my transcript is basically straight P's) (basically I never stood out in law school, not even in a bad way)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

P's in the two classes where I used outlines, did all the past exams and went over them with the professor in office hours, organized the study groups, even did past exams from other schools

H in the class where we just watched My Cousin Vinny and gave each other quizzes on SurveyMonkey all semester

pretty much convinced the effort I put in is about as determinative of my grade as the solar winds and the alignment of the planets

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just read a resume from some retard who professes an interest in "nutrition law"

What the gently caress are they teaching you entitled little shits in law school these days?

At my school we have a group called FoodSoc

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MoFauxHawk posted:

Can somebody just sum up Getting to Maybe here? I don't want to read it.

literally the only thing I remember from that book is that if you use IRAC, your professors will be IRATE

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

nic olas posted:

San Francisco . . . public interest

About 8000 people will slit your throat for one of those positions (including me) (this is true of most legal markets right now but especially NorCal)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Here are some comics based on random tidbits I overheard at work and didn't bother researching (also this thread)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

srsly posted:

These are uniformly fantastic.

I especially like XKJD. Spot on. (I assume the caption is what the alt-text would be.)

He actually does caption some of his comics in plain text, I think. If I had to write an alt-text, it'd probably be about what happens when an interlocutory appeal happens on the malpractice suit.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Direwolf posted:

Do you mind if I chop out one of the comics and make it my FB profile picture?

Please do! Mi animes es su animes.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I wrote about doing my section's T-shirt and beer label in my Interests section, and ended up talking about it in literally every one of 24 screening interviews during OCI

of course I didn't get any callbacks so make of that what you will

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Remind me real quick--you're a 2L or 3L at Harvard, right? When was this exactly?

I'm a 3L now, so this was during Fall 2010 OCI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Blakkout posted:

I just mailed out 98 clerkship applications this morning. The people at the post office in the Loop hate me, and I'm $125 further in debt. Here's to hoping someone calls me back. Are most of the judges who accept applications via OSCAR pretty flooded with apps? I'm trying to decide if it's even worth my time.

ahhhhhhhh I'm still preparing for HLS's centralized mailing that doesn't go out till September