Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
So write on sucks. I know its way early but would it be a bad idea to not do whatever crappy journal I get placed with and do an SEC internship instead? None of the journals are relevant to the practice area I'm working in this summer/hope to work in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Anyone here familiar with FINRA/NYSE arbitration? My supervisor sent me the procedural code to read before I start and I have a few questions (email/pm/chat).

Also any advice specific to interning for in-house counsel? Generally speaking, I'm a little worried about my writing, particularly whether I can crank it out in a timely fashion (I always took forever on our LRW assignments). Any general advice appreciated. I'm sure its come up numerous times in the thread given the time of the year but I figure its better than talking about URMs, splitters, and DGNJDA.

Also, can we bring back work-attire-chat? I didn't notice anyone wearing a suit during my interviews, will I be fine not bringing a jacket?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

TheBestDeception posted:

Deal with it.

(it was very mild and rainy last summer in Manhattan. Subway still sucked though.)

Ps let me know when nyc figures out central air conditioning.

I was shivering in my office today. :smug:

fougera fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 5, 2010

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Now that I'm below median do you think I should drop out?
Some things I might have going for me for EIW and would like comment:
1) I'm getting some great experience in securities and enjoying law practice thus far. Does it matter if I emphasize this experience and express a devotion to that practice area?
2) I know some hiring partners at big firms. (not my uncle or anything so its probably no guarantee)
3) I got a scholarship, debt will be below 90K AFTER interest.
4) I'm good at interviewing. Or I might just be lucky.
I know I should be worried about my GPA since most of these firms list "B+ average preferred". I guess I'm looking for people's experience on how much soft factors (factors besides GPA) can help. I know there isn't one answer.

Just trying to make the best decision possible.

My contingency plan is to keep developing good contacts at the brokerage I'm working at, hopefully leading to a career, legal or not. Of course my preference is law, that's why I signed those promissory notes.

Anyway, I know I'm going all over the place but I figure to start a more meaningful topic than the typical 0L posts...

LESS SERIOUS QUESTION: The place I work at has both litigation and transactional attorneys on staff. The litigators are all cool, nice, sociable and seem to enjoy life. The corporate folks all avoid eye contact, never say good morning or good night, and one of them has a significant personality disorder (something like tourettes and autism). Is this typical? I always thought it was the opposite under the presumption that transactional attorneys were more business-oriented.

fougera fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 19, 2010

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/nyregion/23critic.html

Writing responses to these people (basically con artists) is like arguing with "I know you are but what am I?" Their statements of claims are barely in English with vague references to fiduciary duties and the "laws of Respondent[sic] Superior".

While its good experience for me nonetheless, I have this strange dread that this is what legal practice is like.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I wish my grades were better.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm going to go practice Lebron law.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I applied to become a TestMasters instructor this semester, good idea or bad idea? I'm a little worried how I can pull this off with job searching (lol), possible journal, and coursework. On the other hand it pays so well it should be able to cover drinking living expenses sans rent for the spring semester. Would I be in trouble only taking 12 credits in a semester?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
While waiting for the bus ride home today I ran into an old family friend. He asked what I was up to and I told him law school, where I was going, where I was working for the summer etc. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a girl standing a couple of people down suddenly perk up when I mentioned law school. On the bus she sat next to me and proceeded to take out a Brooklyn Law brochure. I pretended not to notice. I knew what she was trying to do but I just didn't have the heart to play along, ask her if shes applying, suggest that she think about it a little longer/harder (she was clearly younger than me), or tell her that I heard they had a total of ten firms for OCI last year. Does this make me a bad person?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

At least you didn't try to sleep with her

I thought of it but I noticed she had hairy arms. So basically it was either ignore or shatter her dreams.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm writing a cover letter to carpet bomb firms with. How do I say something particular about the firm that interests me when they all have the same practice areas?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
so how possible is biglaw without being on a journal?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
any advice for callback interviews?

believe it or not, serious post

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

billion dollar bitch posted:

Yay I got another callback through email spamming places that didn't interview with us!

aren't you at CLS? is it that brutal?

I mean, its pretty bad down here at GULC...

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

billion dollar bitch posted:

Well, firms are kind of silly in that they will only call back a certain number of us, leading to some people who are fantastic getting about fifteen callbacks, a few people getting from like... one to three, and some people getting zero. I have two atm...

It's kind of frustrating, since the top 10% and Law Review people aren't going to work at your v30-100 firm! Why are you bothering!

I aimed low and scored. The firms I got a callback are not even V100 but they pay close to market.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Am I boned if I don't get the offer right after the callback? I had it on Monday and am wigging out.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Are class of 2008 associates still second-year associates or third-years? Depends on the firm?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
if you don't take advantage of it you deserve the gut and the debt.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Now that I officially struck out of EIW, my future law degree is officially a useless graduate degree.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I admit its very stress relieving to say "I'm not going to be a lawyer." whenever people ask.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
found a jerb... in finance

don't go to law school, not worth it

fougera fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 16, 2010

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I blame the fact that I'm not studying today on Four Loko

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
As a 2L, there are no jobs so you shouldn't go.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Can anyone recommend a supplement for evidence I can read over thanksgiving break?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

hahahah are you kidding me? Cambridge is amazing! Locals are fine, just don't be a pussy.

And the food is great. Go to Central square. Go eat at the Kebab Factory. Also, you do know that Boston is a quick T ride away, right? You do know there is GREAT food and stuff to do in Boston, right? Cause saying Cambridge is a downside to HLS is laughable.

Wah, Harkness doesn't have an ice rink any more! There used to be nothing. Hemenway used to be a dank horrible maze of rooms, now it's fantastic.

I hope James Barr Ames rises from his grave and beats you with an ivy covered stick.

The downside is going to law school homie.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Man-quits-job-makes-living-apf-4229922732.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

The problem with you law students is your sense of entitlement. No jobs yes, but plenty of work!

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
From what I understand, HYS don't have night programs. Therefore if you go to a school with a night program, who cares which one you are enrolled in, you are boned either way.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
For those who are working at a six-figure-salary firm job, do you really enjoy it? Is the money worth it? Honest question. Even though I'm pretty set on something not law I can't help but think of "what ifs." Also I'm jealous of my classmates who will be making more than me out of the gate...

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Thus far, lawyer work has been extremely boring.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Hi Lawthread, still depressed? Thought I'd check in.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
What's the cheapest way to prepare for the bar? Aside from having the firm pay for it, I won't be at a law firm.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
So what's the smartest way to deal with student loans v. long-term saving?

If you are borrowing at 7% it seems prudent to forget about savings until that's gone, but what about 401K matching? Is it best to take advantage of the "free" money first and then focus the rest on principal repayment?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

If I was getting paid enough to cover my loans here's what I'd do:
1) save 6 month cushion while paying minimums
2) take free money in 401k
3) Pay off student loans

and by cushion you mean rent + insurance + food?

The real challenge is living off of a small base in NYC. I really need a gf to move in with, splitting a studio would be mad cheap.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Math Debater posted:

...because I am under the impression that it is becoming one of the fastest growing occupations as law firms and organizations in general continue to try to cut costs as much as possible in the current economic climate.
I believe it, but do you want to be a career paralegal? Its not much different from being a general office administrator, the upward mobility and exit opportunities are limited.

quote:

There's an ABA recognized paralegal certificate program at a local university that I could finish in a year. That school also offers an MA in "legal studies," and the paralegal certificate can also be obtained in the course of getting that degree. I'm a really unambitious person and am just drawn to this option because the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook says that it is one of the fastest growing jobs, so it seems like something that I could get a decent enough job out of with the appropriate training.
You don't need any of the above, as far as qualifications go, a high school education suffices. Don't waste money on this. When you get out of school you will realise how much of a scam education is.

quote:

Also, I would much rather do officey computery work than physical labor. Any thoughts about this possibility would be appreciated.
Being a paralegal is a lot like physical labor. Sure its not coal mining, but hole-punching, copying, etc. is equally mind-numbing.

EDIT: Honestly, I'd rather be in coal mining. Better industry/demand.

fougera fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 12, 2011

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
How do you determine the "I" in IBR? I'm particularly concerned with how they treat discretionary year end bonuses for the first year.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

AGI on your tax return.

So if I start working in July, they are going to use AGI from this year? (meaning not much) This would actually help a lot for the first year.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
What are the hours really like? My classmates vary even in NYC biglaw, but they were just summers.

fougera fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 25, 2011

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm a first year at a "lifestyle" firm, which has much lower billable hour requirements than biglaw firms. I need to work about 45-50 hours a week to make my hours, because I don't bill at 100% efficiency and poo poo like practice group meetings doesn't count. I've only worked a full Saturday once. Every other Wednesday I get big buckets of money that, while less big than you'll get in NYC, are still big

Midlaw owns yall

45-50 hours sounds cake. What do you spend most of your billables doing?

Considering what's going on in the financial sector, anyone think there will be more cuts in biglaw? I'm trying to grasp the economics of the whole thing. From what I understand clients hate getting bills with juniors on them, if they contest and get write offs, how does this business model persist? Do salaries get paid from a partner's illiquid carry interest?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I hope so, I have an exam for a 2-credit INcome Tax Accounting exam next wednesday. Only went to two classes all semester, never did reading, just started reading the code/regs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Tax question: can someone tell me the difference between deductible service costs and capitalized service costs? Examples of each?