Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Best website I have ever seen posted:

[Cormack]
The name above appears on the pass list for the February 2010 California Bar Examination.

Holy poo poo I don't have to study for the bar exam again.
yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

poofactory posted:

drat, that's harsh.

Did you insert the "No JD's" for comedy value or are you getting a different version of that page than I am?

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

Has anybody used examsoft for the bar? I just got an e-mail for the IL bar asking whether or not I wanted to pay $100 for the honour of taking the bar on my laptop. Is it worth $100? What is it like?

I type about four times faster than I handwrite and about a million percent more legibly. Combine that with the ability to edit what I wrote and taking the test on a laptop was invaluable to me.

Of course, tons of people take the test with pen and paper and supposedly the passage rates between the two formats are similar. But I wouldn't skip out on using your laptop just to save $100 if it will at all impact your ability to successfully complete the test.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

lipstick thespian posted:

Just got my grades back. 0.5 points away from the highest grade. :qq:

gently caress. MY. LIFE. gently caress IT. I AM UNDONE. :negative:

I took a class with a 200 point final, missed the top spot in the class by a point.

Top score on the final got a $5k prize.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Someone once described litigation to me as "state-sanctioned bloodlust." Never have I wanted to do something more.

Bloodlust where your weapons are negotiating strenuously and maybe faxing something on a Friday afternoon to be a dick.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
From a three attorney firm's listing on my school's job bank:

quote:

JOB DESCRIPTION
We are looking to hire a new associate attorney with approximately 3-5 years litigation experience (either civil or criminal), including trial experience.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2009/09/some-advice-and-a-gift-for-recent-unemployed-law-graduates.html

In which in an attempt to cheer up 3L's and unemployed grads about the job market, the author compares it to the war in Vietnam.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Save me jeebus posted:

We find out in an hour and 15 minutes whether my husband has passed the bar.

Pass: Paulaner Hef
Fail: Natty Ice

This is pretty much the longest wait, best of luck.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

KA-POW!

I think that if the legal job market ever actually recovers somehow, I'll never believe it. I'll be a crotchety old man till the day I die, yelling at law students and telling them there are no jobs, even if law ever actually does become a golden ticket again.

This cohort of lawyers is the equivalent of the kids who grew up during the Depression. They will forever be hoarding the equivalent after dinner mints and old newspapers in case the Bad Times come again.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Someone tell me I'm a retard because I'm applying to law firms again so I can leave my $150k job where I work from home.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

nm posted:

I got up at noon and since have been watching anthony bourdain wondering how I'm going to burn my 4 weeks of vacation per year (actually won't burn all 4 weeks because I'm trying to kiss rear end to get tenure, but i can accumulate up to 14 weeks, so whatever). That entry level. After 10 years, I get 6 weeks.

I, uh, took two sick days last year.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Ever seen someone get yelled at by the Judge for chewing gum?

I saw a clerk chew out an attorney for reading a book while waiting for his appearance to come up on the docket.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Elotana posted:

Multiply it by three, duh

No, divide it by 1/3 so then you're technically dividing the time among them. Then if someone finds out you just say you're bad at math. They will believe you since you went to law school.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Who wants a career in space law?

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/313416500

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Martin Random posted:

Welp, things aren't as hopeless as I thought. I sent out 6 resumes yesterday and got a call back today for an interview tomorrow. Corporate transactional associate in Oakland, California.

Dammit, I am too late to talk to you about practicing The Law in Long Beach. Ahh, well, good luck with your norcal shenanigans.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

nm posted:

The small problem is that bar law is still not state law.

Also, you'll need to use the shift key in the bar exam. :)

Nah, just caps lock everything for emphasis, it will be fine.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Slyfrog's posting is some serious ghost of Christmas yet to come stuff for me. Time to get cracking on some alternate plans.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Burn it down.

BURN IT ALL DOWN.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

nm posted:

CA won't be out until Thanksgiving

Well, the weekend before Thanksgiving. The great twist of the knife after waiting four months for results is that they come out right before a bit family holiday. Fun times for those who fail and then get together with their families 4 days later.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

The most heartless soul-sucking motherfuckers are insurance defense attorneys though. I don't know how they live with themselves.

By screwing each other over as much as possible.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah. Recently our marketing department basically put a gun to our heads and made us update our bios and it's so loving rough

I wound up taking the profile of an associate who just quit, changing like 5 words, and claiming it as my own

Started 2.5 years ago, was told to submit a firm bio last summer. Did so. It's still not posted to the website. Can't figure out why.

Because they can't bill a client for it.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
I remain firm in my conviction that nobody gives a poo poo about anything unless it has a direct, measurable impact on billable hours. :colbert:

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

10-8 posted:

Yep. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts because I have half a dozen spreadsheets tracking various financial issues. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to know exactly how much money you'll have in 192 days.

Because you know the answer isn't going to be a happy one.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Canada goons: I am a dirty American trying to figure out if a trade association based in Montreal has been a defendant in any Canadian personal injury lawsuits (based on doling out hazardous advice). Is there a publicly available resource that would be a good place to start (e.g. low level court with a publicly searchable database of case filings)?

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
You forgot "seeing you in the bathroom and telling what changes they want while you're taking a leak."

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
The "flexible degree" rebuttal box skips straight from D to F. What do I win?

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
A most Aladeen outcome.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

A Game of Chess posted:

We are definitely getting some asbestos cases, luckily that won't be all that we're doing. It's basically any large complex tort case with multiple plaintiffs and generally a corporation for a defendant, there are a bunch of categories within it and I think we're getting assigned to an arbitration and appeals room.

It's definitely considered a promotion for her but drat it, I LOVED my current job. I've only been here a few months and I've written like ten opinions already. Give me an aggravated assault any day. (I know it's ghoulish but I love criminal and was hoping to piggyback into the DA or PD's office from here after my commitment is over. :()

Nah, ghoulish would be loving asbestos cases. (No love here, just a hollowed out soul.)

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Green Crayons posted:

From what little I know about it, asbestos litigation is all about (1) apportioning liability via causation and (2) damages attributable to the asbestos.

Have fun, I guess.

(3) managing the insane clusterfuck that comes with having 50-100 defendants in a single case.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Relatively old blog by a dude who clerked in Palau for a year: http://stuffedwombat.com/faq.html

quote:

[T]hink of it this way: if Hawaii is the Pacific's version of New York City, Guam would be the Pacific's version of, say, Cleveland, and Palau would be, say, Tulsa, Oklahoma. If you can't picture yourself learning to like living in Tulsa, you probably shouldn't be considering Palau.

Of course, this was before the space aliens dropped the replica of the US Capitol into the jungle, so it's probably a little more cosmopolitan now.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Seriously, this and purple prose are the two worst things. I've seen some bad writing.

One of the partners I write summary judgment motions for really, really likes to EMPHASIZE POINTS in annoying ways.

A little piece of me dies each time.

VVV I'd like to think that my writing doesn't need that kind of emphasis. Especially when I'm trying to subtly slip in that opposing counsel is dumber than a kindergartner.

Cormack fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

nm posted:

California doesn't recognize jesus.

Its courts pay unto Cesar on his day though.