Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Also, thread, apparently I'm supposed to do jury instructions and a proposed verdict form. I am completely lost. Help.

Here are some Michigan civil instructions; verdict forms are included. Or is the question how to select which specific instructions to propose?

Mookie posted:

While I was in law school, this confrontation clause cases, as well as the Sentencing Guideline cases, were still new and/or unsettled. It was pretty amusing to watch people in class have a knee-jerk "Scalia is in favor of this, so it must be bad" reaction, without realizing that these decisions greatly expanded the protections afforded to criminal defendants, which these same students (and one or two professors) were typically in favor of.

You know the pendulum has swung too far when ... Scalia is leading the charge in support of (selected) Constitutional rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

evilweasel posted:

if you got worse than a 175 you're barely smarter than a rock

I got a 46 :(
Maybe that's why I make less than the median pay for an '09 grad...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

fougera posted:

I'm writing a cover letter to carpet bomb firms with. How do I say something particular about the firm that interests me when they all have the same practice areas?

Find a recent case that the firm has worked and comment positively on it. "I followed with interest your firm's efforts on behalf of DynaMegaCorp to protect the rights of customer-oriented family businesses against the predations of rapacious widows and overreaching regulatory interference"

VVVVVVV
of course you can:

VVVVVVV
e2: [/gum flapping]

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 29, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Draile posted:

"You are prosecuting a man for stealing an old lady's purse. There are no witnesses other than the victim, but the lady got a great view of the defendant and has rock-solid testimony. Defense counsel has indicated to you that the defendant is willing to plead out. The day before the defendant is scheduled to give his plea, the lady has a heart attack and dies. Defense counsel doesn't know about this. Do you disclose the death of the lady to defense counsel, thereby threatening your case and his plea, or do you not make the disclosure and take the plea?"

holybartender posted:

Out of curiosity what is the answer?

Amend the charge to First Degree Felony Murder.

e:

lipstick thespian posted:

How would you be able to know the answer without knowing wheter the guy was a minority or not? :rolleyes:

and more importantly, the race of the little old lady.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 29, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

nm posted:

If you are asked a question like "Is your witness ready?" you probably have to.
Always, always ask a question like this before you plead your guy/girl.
You can't stop a DA from flat-out lying, but this way you can at least remove the temptation for him/her to take the ethical low road where there's a (barely) arguable question as to what is ethically/legally required.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

NoodleBaby posted:

One of my classmates signed up for the Marine Corp after 1L year, so he spent his summers doing Marine Corp poo poo. He was all signed up for Marine JAG, just had to pass the bar and he was in.

So on the first day of the exam, about an hour in, he freaks out, starts crying and runs out of the room, never to return.

Yay! Let's put THAT guy in high pressure situations AND give him a gun with which to deal with them!

(Actually that is exactly what he's doing: the Marines took pity on him, which I didn't know they did, and let him retake in February. He is now deployed in Iraq, presumably carrying a weapon at all times. Wouldn't want to be his bunkmate).

Not pity, everyone in the program gets two tries to pass the bar.

and its Corps, not Corp :ughh:

(We'd get paid better if we were a Corp.)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

while we're on the topic, or at least we were earlier, do defence attorneys at least know they're supposed to quit the case or plead guilty if they know their client did it? Or do they not have that rule in America, idk

DUH. How else would we have enough spare time for whores, poker and cocaine?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

There is no honour in defending a lie knowingly made, or actively deceiving the honourable judge presiding.

And you want to be a DA?

In Chicago?

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Or were you merely abstractly cogitating from your Olympian heights, where Perfect Knowledge prevails and Objective Truth is immediately discernable by all?

In that case, there would be no need for a Constitution and no need for an adversarial system to determine factual matters. The Watchers, blessed with their perfect powers of perspicacity, would simply sweep in, punish wrongdoers in exactly the right manner and exactly the right amount and return to Olympus where their empyrean radiance would continue to illuminate the world.

Well, given those ground rules, it would be irrational and immoral to disagree with you. In fact, in your world I would be unable even to conceive that disagreement would be possible.

I don't live in that world.
My clients and my witnesses don't live in that world.
The cops and the judges and the DAs and their witnesses don't live in that world.

We poor mortals have to make do with our incomplete knowledge, fallible memories and imperfect judgment. In order to get as close as we can to Truth and Justice, we approximate. The adversarial system is a pretty good approximation of your Perfect Knowledge. Our Constitution embodies a commendable effort to reach for your True Justice. To paraphrase Churchill, our judicial system is the worst way in the world to run a judicial system; except for all the other judicial systems.

It's what we got. Your sophistry (and I mean that descriptively, not pejoratively) is fine for college bull sessions, but there's a real world out there that will not turn according to your feelings on how it should behave.
You're in for a interesting time.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

billion dollar bitch posted:

A seventeen year old defendant displays a weapon, says, "empty your loving pockets," and takes a cellphone off the victim. Upon collecting the phone, he kicks the victim's brother, runs off, and is apprehended by a police officer. He has the cellphone and a BB pistol on him. He has a prior youthful offender adjudication for Robbery in the First Degree, and was on probation when he committed the crime.

What would you charge, and what sentence would you give? This is in NYC.

Don't know NYC, but out here in the hinterlands, it'd be First Degree Robbery. Assuming the YO case did not end up with an adult sentence, the plea bargain recommendation would be 15-20 years, approx. 90% to be served. After negotiations, it would be 8-10 at 90%, or 15-18 with approx. 45% to serve and parole eligible at 33%. If it went to trial, he'd get 10-12 at 90%.
e: We have jury sentencing. Sentencing is determinate.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 30, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

Yeh, no. My views have worked out p well so far, and the judges and ASAs I've worked with have all been great. A learned society of Olympian judges and prosecutorial titans is not some unrealistic vision. You'd be half way there if you just partition the land and enfeoff judges as earls and dukes. Imagine a hearing before the Honourable Duke of Cicero, or perhaps spending time in chambers with the Earl of Lincoln Parkshire.

Yeh, no. I know too many Judges.

[obligatory]
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I do.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

never liked latins much, but if you have to say it: they would be a self regulating body of learned gentlemen, divorced from the common, monetary society. Like Spartans, dealing in iron spits and dedicating themselves to the good life; their feudal estates tilled by helots, and forum servers kept online by perioikoi. With such well raised men in charge, whatever could go wrong. Mistakes are ungentlemanly.

lol yes a serf is going to watch them :laffo:

Strange, coming from a serf. Granted, a serf with an endearing veneer of classicism, but a serf nonetheless.

And look what the last clique of effete, entitled and insular anglo-saxons turned into:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyr1ugzxXM

So, how would you break into such a system, my fine fellow?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

If you think that video is on topic then you are seriously troubled. I did a short pupilage with people you might consider to be effete, entitled and insular, and they were nothing like that. I don't take them as my model, but that video is so far from the truth it hurts.

That was humor, but I expect you'd consider humor (and the performing arts in general) to be corruptive elements of the common culture, to be eschewed by those concerned with identifying with the propertied class.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

nm posted:

Yes, you can tell them it is a really lovely idea, but every once in a while the dumbass wants to testify that the officer who testified wasn't the officer who stopped him for DUI. He is an impostor.
Yes, this did happen, and surprisingly, he was convicted.

Actual juror quote:
"We were all going to vote not guilty...

until your client testified."

(he insisted on testifying)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

I started some of the posts made by the guy with the fiestacat avatar in the legal questions thread and god I'm never doing defense work ever ever

GamingHyena posted:

Cases like this are why I'm glad I no longer do criminal law.

I'll take an indigent criminal defendant over an insurance company defendant any day.
e: Besides, clients like this and ^^the black death penalty guy using white separatist/tax dodger tactics^^ are problems for the judge, not counsel.

Chakron posted:

Ugh. It's not the weak chin or the bad suit or the obesity that makes him look like a slob. Couldn't he at least make the effort to square his shoulders, face his hand toward the Court and put his fingers together, rather than looking like he's telling somebody in the jury box to 'talk to the hand'?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 1, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

poofactory posted:

Hey guys, when sending my office your unsolicited resumes, please address it to someone in particular and include a cover letter so we at least know for which job you are begging.

But make sure you correctly name the job for which you are begging:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here's a hypo for you bar exam types.

Driver's car catches on fire while he's driving it down the interstate, so he pulls off onto the shoulder and gets out and calls 911. Traffic is very light and cars are passing without any problem. The car burns for ten minutes or so and the police arrive, followed almost immediately by the fire department. The police close down traffic on the interstate completely while the fire is put out and a wrecker shows up to load the burned husk.

Plaintiff pulls up to the accident scene and stops in the standstill traffic behind the police barricade. He's stuck in traffic for about 5 minutes at a dead stop when suddenly he's rear-ended by Trucker, and now he claims injuries from the accident.

Who's liable for Plaintiff's damages?

Phillip Morris.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Abugadu posted:

I'm just surprised private firms didn't think of it before the US Atty's office.

If one of the AUSA's bitches screws up there's no individual client to complain/sue, and even if there was, they've got prosecutorial immunity. The worst that happens is a misdemeanant goes free after spending a few weeks in jail.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Yeah, but you could have the volunteers doing something harmless like doc review, or at least have their work looked over before being sent out the door.

But how would you bill them out? Can you bill the client for associate hours even if that 'associate' is unpaid? You can't not bill the work, that doesn't make any sense for the firm.
And even if the freebie lawyers could get on the firm's malpractice policy, the direct exam of the partner by the legal malpractice lawyer would be brutal.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SWATJester posted:

Also, where can I apply for that prosecutor position because I'll do that poo poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3ePAOUK7U#t=4m18s

She was applying for a mid-level position; I'm sure she applied at the DA's too. They're really hurting for mid-level attorneys. They've usually got enough newbies, though. They start at 38,500. If you really want the info, I'll PM you.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 3, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SWATJester posted:

I'm rusty on crim pro, but won't that count as a de facto arrest? I don't see any exceptions to the warrant requirement in play here, making any statements the fruit of an illegal seizure, regardless of Miranda.

He was "investigatorially detained"
And he struck up the conversation with the cops; since he "voluntarily initiated" the conversation, they didn't need to Mirandize him.

Abugadu posted:

it may be a sign that you aren't reviewing your own work carefully when you hand a judge a set of jury instructions for Official Misconduct as a misdemeanor that include provisions for the death penalty.

The judge asked him where he got it from, and he said from the JI's of the previous law clerk (which he did not). The judge called him on it, then reamed him.

1. Humorous mistakes like this are good for morale and give you an opportunity to show how well you can take being given a full ration of well deserved poo poo for your error. If it happened once and wasn't repeated, the overall effect toward future employment would be positive.
2. Throwing someone else under the bus + lying = You're done. Getthefuckout.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 5, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Alaemon posted:

Erstwhile Police Officer...
Defendant in handcuffs and no intention of letting him leave...
A) Strike up a conversation about illegal activities?

joat mon posted:

And Defendant struck up the conversation with the cops; since he "voluntarily initiated" the conversation, they didn't need to Mirandize him.

Alaemon posted:

No he didn't.

I'll take dumb and honest over smart and crooked any day.
Buy the cop a beer and give him a hint.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 5, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I also didn't really even open my books.

Each semester, I would tear out each page of each textbook and stuff a mattress with the paper and some hickory chips. I then slept on the mattress, every night.
During pre-finals week, I used the contents of the mattress to slow roast a suckling pig, while breathing deeply of the smoke. Before each final, I would eat two pork sandwiches.
Worked fine for me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

By the way, if law school doesn't kill all the relationships in your life, your first job will.
Law school wasn't that bad on our marriage; she was already used to me thinking like a lawyer and I learned quickly that relationship issues are not cases to analyze and wives are not witnesses to be cross-examined. My first 'job' after lawschool was Marine School (TBS, not OCS) which definitely put a strain on our marriage. I had to be/was interested enough to be obsessively focused in a way that law school never was, and she had a very rough culture shock.

Lykourgos posted:

Was your job at some lovely bigmidlaw firm?
That one was only killing me, though toward the end, my unhappiness was getting infectious.

nm posted:

[Working] for a PD's office.
The good news for me is I had no personal life to kill.
Overheard:
Church lady to my 13 year old son: So, do you want to be a lawyer like your dad?
Son: No.
Lady: Oh, why not?
Son: Because I want to be able to actually see my family.

Fortuitously, I was able to get off the trial docket (60 hours) I'd been on for 5 years and moved to appeals (45 hours, raise, weekends free). (But man, I miss the adrenaline)

nm posted:

Being a prosecutor is easier than being a PD though. I've done both.
I've done both, too. Being a PD is so much easier.
The actual work isn't very different, but the moral quandries and psychological toll that being a DA took made/makes me want never to be a DA again.

VVVVVV
I'm willfully innocent, so PD work suits me.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 11, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

qwertyman posted:

Please let me know if any of you have ever seen an appellate brief this awful.

Yes, it was a pro se brief from a schizophrenic who was very unhappy that he was found incompetent to stand trial.

May I suggest to the 9th Circuit:

Order Denying Motion For Incomprehensibility

Page 2,The Billy Madison footnote

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Welp, got handed another batch of files on Friday so it looks like I'll be spending another weekend at the office

Is it possible to be burned out after 3 years? gently caress this profession.

Well I mean who doesn't enjoy a 7 day work week?

I seriously think I'm getting burned out. Older lawyers, does it ever get better? :(

I don't think burnout is a function of age or experience or "getting used to it." However, older attorneys may feel less burnout because they're less willing to put up with situations that cause burnout.

I think there are three primary factors that cause burnout. In descending order of importance, they are:
The kind of work you're doing.
Who you're working for/with
How much you work.

The more interesting and meaningful your work is, the less likely you are to burn out. This is by far the most important factor.
The more you like and get along with your bosses, coworkers and clients, the less likely you are to burn out.
The less time you spend at work, the less likely you are to burn out. This is the least important factor in avoiding burnout.

It's definitely possible to be burned out after 3 years.

I did semi-interesting but utterly value-less, soul crushing work for for bosses I couldn't stand for 45 hours a week, no weekends. I was burned out in three months.
How did it feel? Like what depression is supposed to feel like, except limited to one's work life. When that feeling started spilling over into the rest of my life, I quit.

On the other hand, for five years I did interesting, valuable work, for people who actually needed me, with people I love working with, for a good boss. I worked 60 hours a week, more during trial, and a couple weekends a month. I never felt burned out. I got tired, and balancing my family was hard and stressful (and not always successful) But burnout was never a factor.

Now I work less hours, with the same people, doing similar work (appeals rather than trial) Right now I've got temporary burnout, because of the particular case I'm working on. Although this case is about as vital as it gets, my work on it is ultimately meaningless. I know that no matter what I do, I will fail, and as a result a man will die. But when I'm done with this case, I'll take some leave and recharge and I won't feel burned out anymore.

Does it ever get better? If you're stuck doing work you hate, probably not. Sorry. Will you lose that "in trouble" feeling Solomon Grundy mentioned? Yes, but after three years at the same job you should be getting over that. (Unless there's a "who you're working for" problem - then you'll never lose that feeling until one of you leaves)

Do what gives your life meaning. If you have to eat at home and drive an old car, so be it. At least you won't be burned out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

nm posted:

I wrote a memo to the court (no, not a motion) that got an (alleged*) sex offender's case dropped. That was pretty rewarding.
Congratulations!

nm posted:

You people just need to stop doing civil law.

JudicialRestraints posted:

You shouldn't have done that. He was probably guilty of something.

That's another nice thing about criminal law - guilt doesn't always mean you don't win.

A brief I wrote eight months ago finally bore fruit and my guy is no longer doing 80 years for the drugs that were in his backpack.

On the other hand, full, 'walk out of jail' victories like nm's are rare - my guy still owes 10 years for the case he was on probation for when he picked up his new case.

And I'd rather pick fleas off a dog's dick with my mouth than write the brief I'm working on now, so it's not all whores and hashish on the criminal side...
...but its still better than civil law

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Save me Jeebus posted:

I just plowed my savings into a taco stand startup.

or cupcakes:

Jalopnik posted:

Kate Carrara runs the Buttercream Cupcake Lady service out of a truck she trundles through Philadelphia every day, announcing her location via Twitter. That's how police knew where she'd be at noon on Tuesday, when they surrounded her converted postal truck with a blockade.

"Three enforcement guys came out with badges blazing," Carrara told the Philadelphia Daily News. "Scared the crap out of me. The three cops with them were looking at me like, 'We can't believe we're doing this.'

"And I'm like, there's crack deals a block away and three cops are surrounding the Cupcake Lady? I mean, really?"

The officers impounded the van and drove away with dozens of uneaten desserts, indifferent to the city's never-ceasing demand for cream cheese.

In any other place, someone who calls themself the Cupcake Lady might have folded like softened butter. But this is Philadelphia, and so of course the woman who sells cupcakes from a truck is also a lawyer with 4,000 followers on Twitter, with whom she was quickly plotting escape scenarios.

http://jalopnik.com/5621812/philadelphia-confiscates-cupcake-ladys-truck-adds-crack-to-liberty-bell

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

Yes, who doesn't love a zerg rush of senseless reasonable doubt arguments, look lively lads! Defense attorneys have the right to pee their pants, doesn't mean they ought to do it. Not every day, repeatedly, at least.

Would you rather the defense (you spelled that wrong, is your Anglophilia slipping?) attorney write the argument or get a pro se one?

If only prosecutors would stop making GBS threads the bed/record. They don't need to, not every trial, not repeatedly.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The fiesta cat guy has to teach CrimPro.

e: yeah, he's not a JD, but in order to raise startup funds you could grant honorary degrees a polite period of time after receiving generous donations.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 31, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Would "Pathological Self Entitlement" be a course or a prerequisite?

And drat that Grundy whipper-snapper for snatching the emeritus spot from my soft but gnarled hands. If only I weren't so slow on this confounded electronical amusement-box!

I even had my Trial Advocacy text picked out:

1. Ambition of Young Lawyers.- Every newly admitted lawyer has an ambition to become a famous trial lawyer. He looks forward to the time, in his career, when he will cause those in attendance at court to marvel at his ability and enquire who the talented attorney is.
5. Young lawyer is handicapped.- The novice who begins the practice of law is handicapped. He lacks clients, practice and experience. He is timid and has no confidence in his ability of judgment. Those who come for advice, or to employ him, inevitably have no money, because those with money retain an experienced lawyer. Thus, the rising lawyer must virtually starve while attempting to give the best that is in him, and often to a charity client.

CHAPTER XXI. THE FEMALE WITNESS
239. Cross-examination.-
The advocate who is to cross-examine the female witness is confronted with a grave and intricate situation, for no man has yet lived who could fathom the depths of a woman's mind. From the prophets of old, to those of the present day, all have been extremely silent in stating rules of psychology that particularly refer or relate to women.
She is not a natural born reasoner, is not logical, but relies almost entirely upon intuition, and when you consider how often she is right, it is remarkable.
A beautiful female, shapely, vivacious, with fascinating and hypnotic eye, well-groomed and attractively dressed, is a dangerous witness to cross-examine before a jury. Some say "it can't be done" because she will flirt with the elder juror and at the proper time weep for the younger, and play for sympathy and preferment from the judge.

CHAPTER XXIX. THE UNFORTUNATE TYPES OF WITNESSES
294. The unsuccessful.
The unsuccessful man finds fault with conditions in general and complains that everything and everyone is against him. He changes from one vocation to the other and continually criticizes the way of the world; if he is a dependent and in an institution, which is frequently the case, the institution is not run properly. He is a chronic kicker because he is a failure.
He is pessimistic, sarcastic, bitter and envious of the success of others. He lives in the past and takes pleasure in having a good listener, such as a wife, relative or a friend, but seldom more than one person, to pour out his narrow view of life and complain of things in general.
(b)Direct examination.- The lawyer who calls such a witness has a difficult task before him for this type of witness is narrow in his views, ignorant, exacting, technical and stubborn.
(c)Cross-examination.-...He will, under proper questioning, show his bitterness toward the world, his envy of the successful man, and forget all the caution given him before the trial, for he is an egoist, and a pessimist.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: The unsuccessful

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Incredulous Red posted:

Question: can we make select students eligible to work as strippers as part of our law school work/study program?

A lap dance is so much better when the stripper is paying your salary.

But really, I think stripping should be reserved for graduates, so that Goon Law School can boast 100% post-graduation employment. Also, the Environmental Law prof needs to have a lawn care business on the side for the same purpose.

291. The prostitute.-
To be compelled to call this type of witness, for direct examination, is indeed unfortunate, when her reputation is known, for it casts a doubt upon the truth of her statements.
The method of examination and the treatment is the same as an ordinary female, with the following few additions.
It is dangerous to call such a witness for if the opponent should probe her past he will throw doubt upon her veracity, except insofar as it may be corroborated by other witnesses, so the first rule is not to call such a type if you can prove your case by any other means.

e:late 90's song names

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 31, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon posted:

But make sure you correctly name the job for which you are begging:

Boss called her back, and left a message that she could come interview if she was sure what job it was for. She called back with a honest and humorous mea culpa and came out for an interview. Hired.

There's another spot opening up in a couple months. If anyone wants more info, PM me.

\/\/\/
e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3ePAOUK7U#t=4m19s
no, I'll never get tired of that movie or that clip.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 31, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SWATJester posted:

What is the information on this book? Name, author, publisher, edition, etc. Because seriously I am going to hit every rare book store offline and on the web until I find a copy.

nm found several copies on amazon.

There's actually some decent material in it, but the sexism and witness-typing is a special bonus. The lack of outward classism and assumption of meritocratic selection was one of the things that stuck me as unusual for the period.

e: Looking further on Amazon, the 1927 editions are available criminally cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00085HV7M/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 31, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

OptimistPrime posted:

Now I get to spend the time between today and my start date drunk off my rear end,

284. The drug addict.-
The witness who is the victim of a drug habit frequently is found to be well educated, refined and with a good reputation, able to conceal his habit and his condition.
The person addicted to the use of drugs, by his appearance shows a lack of veracity, makes strange statements, will make contradictions after an extended examination, stating something entirely different from that which he has previously stated. He seems to lose track of his connected thoughts. His thoughts, and especially his memory, are very faulty, in that he will forget what he has said a few days before, or even a longer time previous to his examination. He will change his statements many times until one loses patience with him.
A positive, egoistic manner is displayed immediately after the use of a drug, and before its effect wears off. Therefore, on direct examination he should be hurried through his testimony, examined only on important facts that cannot be obtained elsewhere, turned over to the opponent as quickly as possible, that he will have the strength and nerve to withstand the cross-examination.
As his [cross] examination proceeds, the bravado and decline of his vitality is very noticeable. Consider him more as a shrewd insane person, unreliable and untruthful.
What has been said of the drug user is applicable to the inebriate, with the addition that the inebriate is more inclined to be careless about his answer and is not suspicious while the drug user is.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Purchased that loving awesome book.

CHAPTER XVII. THE BOLD TYPES OF WITNESSES
218. The eager.-
The eager witness is in an excited state of desire to attain his object, which is to tell a strong story. He pursues his object, ardently, vehemently and impetuously...His weak traits are, excitement, rash statements, impetuosity, enthusiasm, impatience, partisanship, agitation, anticipation of questions and rapid talk.
Unless the one producing the witness objects and interferes during the cross examination it will not be difficult to belittle the testimony of the eager witness.

Macnigore posted:

Choice time.
Macnigore, I changed from a firm like n°2 to a firm like n°1. It cost me a 1/3 reduction in pay. It was worth every centime.
What is #1's dark secret? What is making your choice so difficult?

[no access to the scanner at this time]
CHAPTER XVIII. THE CAUTIOUS TYPES OF WITNESSES
225. The cautious.-
The careful witness is the type here described. The truthful, honest, and over-cautious type, as distinguished from the lying person... Look for the cause of his trait. He may be guarded in his answers for fear the answer will be used later to his detriment. He may be fearful the cross-examiner will make sport of him and hold him up to ridicule if he is careless in his answers. He may be cautious from his natural prudent habit; he may be discreet for fear of offending by his answers.
The type who fears to be positive in his statements can be stirred through rough treatment, and made to realize that he must not straddle and must be careful in his answers while on the witness stand (See Evasive types of witnesses) After each question he immediately registers doubt that he may not have answered as he should.
An examiner by patience may overcome the timidity and nervousness of this type, and gain his confidence.
[this almost sounds like something from the i ching]

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 1, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

J Miracle posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that the professor still solicits public-policy debate or the fact that there are still 3Ls with a gunner mentality that actually engage in it.

Public policy debates were the only thing that made classes bearable.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You guys might like this, part of a pro se filing from a looney fringe type. I have the rest but it's just a bunch of poo poo about how JOHN PETERS is not the true person, while John Peters is the real party in interest, and the corporate entity known as "the United States of America" has no personal subject matter jurisdiction over the real party in interest since he is a sovereign "American Citizen" as opposed to a "U.S. Citizen"

This is the clearest, most concise and well organized 'sovereign citizen' argument I've seen. What's new to me is that the Rothchilds are also involved. Is this one from a Yahweh ben Yahweh fan/follower?

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you're the judge, what do you even do with that
"Defendant's argument that he is not subject to the laws of the United States and of the State of ___ are frivolous."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Incredulous Red posted:

your mother stops bugging you to go to law school

No, then your mother will bug you about why you chose to be a public defender instead of getting a real job.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

nm posted:

I'm glad my mommy is a hippy.

I internalized my folk's views on :patriot: and service to country more deeply than my mom realized. She's much better now.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

^^^^
Use it. Footnote it like this:
Counsel has been unable to find a published decision which directly addresses the issue before the Court. Pursuant to MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3) a copy of the xxxx decision is attached and has been provided to opposing counsel.

Our highest (and only) appellate court only publishes about 30 cases a year. The unpublished cases are just about all we've got.
^^^^

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think Legal Rebel is just code for "I'm a smug douche"

The Legal Rebel Manifesto is equal parts hokum and pablum:

Legal Rebels posted:

I am a proud member of America's essential profession. Without lawyers and the rule of law, a free, fair and open society is not sustainable.

I recognize that the legal profession's traditions - the world's most respected legal education system, most successful law firms and fairest court system - were once radical innovations.

In this time of economic crisis, I am committed to improving those institutions and creating innovation in the practice of law. I will question and, when appropriate, change the status quo. And I will use technology to serve my clients and society.

I'll help remake the profession I hold dear so it can continue to deliver on America's promise.

I'm an innovator. A maverick. A pathfinder.

I am a Legal Rebel.
Wow. You really have to take a personal and professional risk to sign on to the 'Rebel' 'manifesto.'

You can tell by the mani-photo:

Very rebelicious. How mavericky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SWATJester posted:

"Ladies and gentleman of the jury, we can't make Defendant's medical recovery any less painful. We aren't miracle workers. But we can compensate him for the pain and suffering that he went through. Imagine you had to wake up every day in pain. Imagine that you were unable to work for <insert lost wages time here>. What price tag would you put on that? What would you want if you were in their situation? $500,000 can't bring my client back to health. But it can compensate him for the wrongs that have been done."

Stuff like that.

Nice.

You could also let the jury do the calculating (they like to have stuff to figure out for themselves) "Denise Defendant can still drive; Johnny can't drive because he has seizures. How much is it worth to you to have the independence to drive yourself from place to place? $5 a trip? 10? 20? How much would it be worth to you to not worry about having a seizure when you're a high school kid on a date? Or out with your wife? $20? $50? How much is it worth to you to be able to carry your sleeping daughter in from the car without worrying about having a seizure? $50? $100? That is Johnny's day, every day. How much is it worth to you to avoid just one hour of Johnny's life? Mr. Actuarial said Johnny might another 60 years. 60 years of hours of the same dependence, the same embarrassment, the same fears for yourself and for your loved ones. Every hour of every day. You do the math."

Or:
ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this here watermelon is little Johnny’s head that Denise Defendant ran over. This here big 'ol hammer is Denise's big 'ol SUV. This big 'ol roll of plastic sheeting is a verdict for Johnny in the amount of $500,000. Now who wants some plastic sheeting?

caveat: if the first one was used in a criminal trial, it'd be objectionable because it tries to put the jurors in the victim's place. I dunno if that applies in civil cases or not, but if it does, you can still use it by comparing it to an undamaged johnny - how much would he pay to...

joat mon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 7, 2010