Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Elotana posted:

Alice just seems to collapse 101 into 103 anyway because the universe of what constitutes "conventional" steps will be mostly bounded by the same art. For every hypothetical 101 rejection of a Bilski-type hedging program you could issue a 103 rejection for the combination of the known hedging method and the conventional computer steps.

On an unrelated note, what's the best agency to go through to get doc review jobs? :v: Are they national or does it vary by city? And if so, how would I begin to go about figuring out which one is the best for Houston? (Serious question. Haven't technically lost my job yet, but at the point where I'm 33% of the patent department and playing bad cop in collections calls, well, it's happening one way or the other soon enough.)

It varies by city. If Counsel on Call has an office in your city, I'd recommend them. I had good experiences and their staffing jobs are sometimes full counsel jobs at corporations rather than just doc review. The director for your region, Julie Brown, is really nice and goes out of her way to help place attorneys. YMMV, I wasn't in Houston. They do use the worst billing site known to man.

nm posted:

So how is that whole examsoft thing working?

That was cludgy poo poo back in 2009, apparently it is even worse now.

It's not working as shown by the latest server outage. Everyone uses it but it's a pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

beefart posted:

Texas essays tomorrow... the gatekeeper to a week-long bender. I'd be more excited if I wasn't completely hosed on non-oil/gas real property and commercial paper.

I definitely bullshited half my essays when I took it and I was fine. Bar prep scares you into thinking they are graded much more harshly than they actually are. If you get commercial paper just identify the issues, claim someone is a holder in due course (or isn't), and run with it. You'll get at least half the points so unless you totally cocked up the multiple choice you'll be fine.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Lawyer requests withdrawal after notebook throwing incident

Really want to read the full motion and/or transcript.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DarkFleetOne posted:

I have the LSAT Saturday. I have contacts in LA that can get me school and a job. For reference, 60k is more than my parents ever made combined, and I've done an internship. How hosed am I? I have a cognitive science major, law is somehow more attractive than grad school

Convince your contacts to pay for school in exchange for slave labor clerkship and three years of free westlaw.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Local City Attorney throws fit and ends plea bargains:

http://5newsonline.com/2014/12/09/rogers-city-attorney-ends-plea-bargaining/

I'm sure that will end well.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Roger_Mudd posted:

Love to hear the expletives coming from the local Judge's chambers.

The local PDs are making GBS threads bricks over it. I can't imagine what a cluster gently caress it will be.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hey remember that city attorney who said he wasn't going to do plea bargains any more as some sort of dumb power play? Turns out that was a bad idea

He's become quite the laughingstock up here. He's always been a little off but now it's downright embarrassing. I can't wait to see what crazy poo poo he stands up now that he has had all of his duties taken away.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I don't know how people who believe that way think they will ever make a meaningful impact or much even less practice law. poo poo sucks and will affect you emotionally. That's life. You have to be able to deal with that poo poo to be a productive adult.

Moreover, that is so loving offensive and infuriating for people that have actually been through rough poo poo. My fiance had a horribly traumatic childhood that took her years of counseling to come to terms with. She works in higher ed and has one of those loving tumblerites on her staff. It's everything she can do to not go off on the staffer on a daily basis.

The staffer is terrible at the job, constantly claims she can't perform her duties because of the her "trauma" (which I won't get into other than it is completely made-up), and talks about triggers constantly. This has been going on for two years and the school will not terminate the staffer. They have a massive folder of evidence against her but HR refuses to pull the trigger for fear of it being seen as retaliatory.

So unfortunately, it's not only a few people. Because of the Internet those 70 tumblerites have spread their gospel far and wide and recruited every mealworm that heard the call. And it's going to get much worse before it gets better.

Sorry for the tangent but this poo poo has become an everyday frustration for the fiance.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 20, 2014

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
A few months ago, I posted a few articles about a local city attorney who lost the majority of his job duties after flashing his city ID to get into a VIP area at a concert. He threw a fit after that, declared that he would no longer plea bargain again case he prosecuted. As a result, the state refused to commission him as a prosecutor. This meant that he effectively had no job duties as both his civil and criminal duties were revoked.

And now this: http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltext-news/d/story/rogers-city-council-votes-to-pay-390000-for-city-a/35653/oMnNYE5tN0GcYdkvgoIBkQ

$400,000 to buy him out of his office. The city is literally paying him because he's such a gently caress up.

I should run for his spot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

sullat posted:

It's kind of like a Walmart; there isn't like, a warehouse of milk just behind the store. The just-in-time delivery system estimates how much milk is needed during the day, and only that amount is delivered that day. So if you've been with the baby all day, chances are there hasn't been an opportunity to pump some out to use later. Also, if demand starts dropping, then the store manager reports that to the suppliers, and they stop sending as much milk. So you gotta keep demand up so that they keep having shipments of milk delivered.

This is the best analogy I've seen in this thread. And it really works both ways. I'm going to start using breastfeeding to explain supply chain management. No joke.