Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

MPC? Are we in the magical realm of make believe because to the best of my knowledge that's the only place this fruity poo poo applies.

in elite schools we don't learn anything that could be considered applicable to actual practice, that's extremely crass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress you faggots law school owns

also "go to valpo dine on alpo" now pops up on google's autocomplete, hahahahaha

Whoa, check out some of the stuff that comes up:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1064743072-post23.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/865976-teen-lawyer-volunteer-programs.html

http://www.wellcultured.com/culture/848/5-ways-to-save-money-in-college

comment one on here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValparaisoLaw

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I slipped something into my corporations exam needling my german professor about the tendency for german companies to bribe everyone.

I'm not sure if it was too subtle but it was satisfying.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBestDeception posted:

Via Email: Job Alert!

Hahaha I just got that and was also thinking 'seriously what the hell'.

Makes sense for 3l's studying for the bar I suppose though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

I got my CLS housing today! $830 a month, one roommate, and I'll be living on 113th St. Am I right in thinking that I got pretty lucky?

Yeah. That's the more fun side of campus.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

more prestigious school like Seton

Seton isn't prestigious in any way shape or form. This is harsh but you need to be aware that anytime someone sees you went there you will need a stellar GPA to avoid getting your resume immediately binned.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

billion dollar bitch posted:

Professor is a nice guy, and probably wouldn't do anything if he notices it.

He'll notice, trust me.

I mean hell, even if he wouldn't notice it alone, he will notice the one out of thirty that has tiny margins because there's 29 that look the same and one that looks different and will probably be insulted.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

billion dollar bitch posted:

Would he mark down for that, if he notices? Or would he default to thinking that it's not a big deal, and then change his mind when a student brings it to his attention?

I have no idea since I've literally never picked up an exam/paper that's been graded in law school. I would assume though that he'll notice and do the same thing regardless of if you tell him or not, and it might not look great if you ever want to ask him for a recommendation.

Like print out ten sheets with normal margins and narrow margins on one (with text) to see for yourself how obvious it is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Avalanche posted:

There is a local community college near me promoting a two year paralegal program, and it is kind of temping;

You don't need that to be a paralegal a college degree will do.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

_areaman posted:

How does this work? Everyone's tests are different/rearranged, so copying off a bubble sheet won't do any good. I personally cheated by going back to previous sections when I had extra time, and used a mechanical pencil instead of a #2 wooden pencil, but copying would never work.

maybe that's why she only got into American :v:

But no, from what I remember there's only three different versions of the exam so there's a 56.44% chance (1-.66^2) she could copy off one of the two people she sat next to.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

For t2 colleges, which live and die by their US News ranking alone, however USNews calculates your GPA is what they'll look at. Why it's that way doesn't matter to the school because it doesn't matter to USNews.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SWATJester posted:

Hate you.

It's true, WCL sucks.

Hahaha I felt slightly bad about that. My only experience with American is that while I was working at a firm between college and law school, one of the people I was working with was going to American at night. He applied to the firm we were working at, and even though he was already working there (in a non-lawyer capacity) they still just trashed his resume without even a rejection letter, and this was in either 2007 or 2008 (before the economy blew up).

He then quit to study for the bar without a job offer from anywhere and I'm sure that didn't turn out well for him :smith:

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 10, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've been working full time for six years almost, so I'm basically trying to get a better job (journalism). Not totally grasping at straws yet! I was always moderately interested in law, and figured I'd give it a try.

Rutgers is significantly worse than American (#48) in the rankings, so see the above story.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBestDeception posted:

Got a grade back already for a test I took a week ago, thus proving profs are capable of making deadlines. Maybe I should have clicked "candidate for graduation this semester" every semester, might have sped up stuff before.

I hope your paper had a majestic flight down the stairs to the "A" level

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Civil posted:

I think most people that get a law degree are highly employable because of the general amount of knowledge and "learning to learn" that law school involves.

"throw together a well-designed outline the week before the final"?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tau posted:

This is a more accurate reflection in my experience.

Law students put together terribly designed but exceptionally complete outlines, but cribbing the actual law from theirs and then organizing it better works pretty well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blinkz0rz posted:

You assumed that a dude who had lovely SAT scores and was placed on academic probation during college but got into a T14 was a URM.

If that's not racist as gently caress then I don't know what is.

Then you don't know what one is, yeah.

If he has bad test-taking abilities, it's reasonable to assume he didn't knock the LSAT out of the park, if he was placed on academic probation, it's reasonable to assume his GPA wasn't stellar.

That means it's likely he had some other "in" and URM is a reasonable guess because in law school given the rankings there are few others.

It's not racist in any way because you're not linking his grades or his intelligence to his race in any way: you're linking the fact that he got in despite them to it.

Without the "got into a T14" it's racist to assume that, with that it's not. If you consider that racist, I don't know how you deal with that chart in the first post.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I'm looking at this profile on okcupid and at first I'm like she seems pretty cool but then I get to this

I don't....know what to do. I want to save her but....I don't think I can

at what school

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

Good theory. Here, I've compiled a list of every Harvard Law student or graduate who is reluctant to tell people they go/went to Harvard Law:

my dad went to harvard (undergrad), my mom says when she met him and he said he went to harvard she didn't believe him because he hadn't been boasting about it and being an rear end in a top hat about it

so, yeah

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SWATJester posted:

AHAHAHAHHA Got a B+ on that terrible rear end paper on whether avatars in MMORPGs should be afforded human rights protections. The one I had to re-write after exam period because I didn't do enough work the first time.

Awesome. I graduate Sunday. gently caress yes.

I just got a B+ in a class I rarely showed up to, studied for the exam for all of a day, and thought I bombed the exam.

woooooooooooooooooooooo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh I forgot to mention I didn't buy the statute book and just printed off the ones I thought were relevant, and guessed wrong on a few and had to infer what they were from the textbook

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thoras Hammer posted:

I talked to a Suffolk student on TF2 the other day. I asked him what he was doing for the summer and he said he was taking EMT classes. Didn't surprise me all that much.

that's brilliant: he doesn't need to be an ambulance chaser, he is already in the ambulance

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There's nothing wrong with giving their students jobs, what's wrong is using those cynically to manipulate employment statistics and using those employment statistics to recruit new students. The timing, nature, and reporting of those jobs all lean towards the cynical manipulation side.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Anyone have any tips on being a summer associate?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

What are the odds that a summer associate knows the "correct" law? ;)

I assume because they spent 8 hours reading every detail and the partner is going off memory.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

I disagree. You'd rather do amazing work on fewer projects while saying no "to" a few people than spreading yourself too thin.

We were specifically warned to not take on too much work since doing a bad job on one thing will significantly outweigh having done a lot of things. However, you'd better be able to justify why you're too busy (and they suggested you say "well, I have all these things to do: x,y,z, I don't think I can do an excellent job on all those and this", and let them work out which one you should stop working on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solomon Grundy posted:

Yes, we always tell the lawclerks this too. And we don't mean it. But you say the nice thing to be nice. And the ones who are going to work out "get it" and say yes to all work and do whatever they have to do to get it done and do a good job. The ones who were too busy just never seem to work out.

This is awesome, thanks. Are there any other things I might be getting told that are complete lies and I need to not believe?

Solomon Grundy posted:

The point is, try to put yourself in the attorney's shoes and find a way to make his or her life easier. I am not saying you should hide or minimize contrary authority, but be aware of how you present your result and don't be part of a problem, be part of a solution.

This is also really helpful, thanks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I've got a friend who got a partner mentor in a field they'd hate: does that mean they're likely to end up in that part of the firm this summer? This firm has a pretty small summer class this year, if it matters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solomon Grundy posted:

Alright, maybe I overstated things. I guess at the time we tell the law clerks not to overextend themselves, we probably mean it. But then later, in the heat of battle, it is the furthest thing from from our minds. The point stands - the clerks who don't take work never seem to work out.

No, I fully believe you and I'm sure it's important, what I gathered from what they were saying is that doing a lovely job on something was going to hurt you more than turning something down.

Obviously, doing a great job on everything is going to be the best thing and they did emphasize you better have a real good reason why you turned it down, and people who turned work down without a good reason weren't kindly looked on.

Plus, your perspective is more likely to be useful because you're not trying to impress students about your firm and so you can be bluntly honest about this stuff. They're not going to say "if you go home before me often it looks very bad" because part of the recruiting thing is appealing to students.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

diospadre posted:

Wow what a hard hitting look at the state of the legal profession, 5 T1 students who all have jobs.

I think two of them have an actual job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HooKars posted:

I wish my boyfriend could see how awesome he has it. He works from 9:30/10ish am - 5:30 - 7 pm on most nights. He takes an hour out of the day to workout, then grabs lunch. During his time in the office, he bills almost every hour he's at work and then he just comes home. If he has extra work to do, he works from home but it's rare. I've never seen him actually go into the office on a weekend and he rarely ever works on weekends but if he does, it's usually contained to Sunday night for a few hours. The Iphone stays in the kitchen and not by the bed while we sleep. His paycheck is over $100k, he doesn't kill himself over it, he's hitting his billables, and he likes every single person in his department. He's a second year but both of us still get invited to the firm box for client ball games and hockey games so there are also actually some perks.

Yet he still manages to hate his job. Drives me crazy.

what practice group is this and how do I get it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

Day 1 of internship: Apparently our entire class got summer work because our agency didn't want to pay for real lawyers. I am unsure whether to hate myself for undercutting graduating 3Ls (by working for free) or just be grateful that I'm replacing a real lawyer and get to handle a real lawyer's work.

Now how the gently caress do I write this motion for summary judgment? I don't even know my state's rules of civil procedure.

Find a motion for summary judgment someone else wrote and ape the relevant parts.

Remember when you're at work, plagiarism is encouraged and efficient instead of a bad thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyChan posted:

What kind of practice would just let an intern write a SJ motion?

I got to write one as a 1L and the court directly quoted a sentence out of it (I noticed because you can see the judge suddenly start overusing commas) :hellyeah:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

no, but for the love of god don't go to law school because you are "under family pressure to stop teaching, man up, and go to law school."

if you insist on being retarded: 3.8 is great but nobody can tell you anything till you know what range your lsat might be

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BrotherAdso posted:

That's why I'm feeling around first. My primary question is probably about my gap filled with teaching and an MA -- does anyone know how admissions folks look at that / if they care?

edit: I've always been interested in social law, legal history, jurisprudence, and philosophy of law since forever, and have a friend working as an ADA who I admire and can see doing the sort of work he does, so it's not "but mom, I don't WANT to be a lawyer!"

They don't care but everything I've heard is that doing things between college and law school is a plus, not a minus.

Also, I love legal history, jurisprudence, and philosophy of law and the last thing that I did that related to those was a question on Dworkin on an LSAT practice test. I mean, I still like law school but not because of those interests.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BrotherAdso posted:

That's unfortunate but not really unexpected. Does a larger diversity of specializations/interests occur in the last year that allows you to study those things a little more closely?

I wouldn't know, I just finished my second year. The choice of classes I have second year is the same as third year though, I'm just more likely to get the classes I want this year.

You can take some conlaw classes that do that sort of stuff, but it's really not at all what law school is about. The question is virtually never what the law should be, it's what the law is or what you can claim the law is.

edit: what JudicialRestraints said too: law school is training for a job and none of those interests apply to jobs

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 25, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BrotherAdso posted:

Knowing about the history, nature, and ideas behind law has to have some jobs somewhere, but I won't argue that -- you two are speaking from experience. The idea of spending most of my time learning in deep detail the facts of law and methods of interpretation/use doesn't bother me, if that's worth anything.

There are, but you basically need to go to Yale to get them. Yale isn't in Virginia.

BrotherAdso posted:

Thanks for the info, maybe someone else can address some of the more specific school/admissions stuff I was asking about.

Take a LSAT practice test under real conditions, check your score, and we can tell you a whole lot more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BrotherAdso posted:

I'll be doing so over the summer, most likely. Teaching takes up too much time to study as much as I ought to, and public schools aren't out until mid-June. I'm hoping taking logic in undergrad and extensive hardass academic writing in grad school will be a help. Thanks for the preliminary lay of the land, both here and in the encyclopedic OP.

You don't even need to study, where you get on a cold try is still helpful.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Defleshed posted:

Heroic tasks of great import doesn't put liquor in my tummy!

you're doing the wrong heroic tasks of great import

might I suggest the world series of flipcup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hello I have missed the past 500 posts. What tragedies have befallen you all

I got the same grade on an exam I didn't study for and legit thought I failed as I do on all the others.