Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
20 hours to learn con ii (1st and 14th amendments). i'm sure i'll just get a B anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Lee
May 16, 2003

if i'm going to buy one supplement for evidence, which should it be?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

does anyone know if personal statements and other similar writings are forwarded to the bar along with your application?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Linguica posted:

Yes, of course they are.

thanks, won that bet. my friend was convinced they weren't. sucks for him and his embellished story

William Lee
May 16, 2003

entris posted:

I would like to hear the backstory to this.

from what he's told me, he did a bit of "humanitarian" work in college (katrina related) but his personal statement said he did humanitarian work in africa

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Does anyone have any helpful exam materials (e.g., flow charts, outlines) for Bankruptcy? I feel like I know nothing about the subject after an entire semester. Since the exam is open book/materials, I'm trying to focus more on studying for other courses.

Protip: Do not take a course such as Bankruptcy solely because it filled a gap in your schedule.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

in absentia posted:

Final exam in 13 hours. Haven't opened the book in 2 days. Barely looked over the outline. But, you know . . . 3L.

This. My last law school exam ever is in 11.5 hours and I only really started looking over the material this afternoon. What better way to end it all than one final all-nighter?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Here's another C&F question - would an apartment lease application somehow fall within the purview of the background check? When I filled out my lease application, I had a part-time law clerk position and was receiving money from my parents for living expenses. I added these two numbers together and wrote that on the application. Should I be concerned about this?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Wow, the guy doing the BarBri multistate preview for crim law is so loving annoying... I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of going to the classes as opposed to watching online. Thoughts?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Has anyone figured out a way to speed up BarBri videos on a mac?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

BarBri needs more lecturers like the torts professor. 4 hours with him today was actually bearable.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Torts professor loves :420:. You can just tell...

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Has anyone used any of the commercial MBE flashcards? Namely Dominate the Bar...

I'd like to save some time by not writing out hundreds upon hundreds of cards and use that time for actual reviewing.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

BarBri was the last place I expected to see a Snakes on a Plane reference...

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Can anyone compare the difficulty of the online practice exams offered by the NCBE to the actual MBE?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Assuming you're talking about the BarBri ones, does this send anyone else into a boiling rage? Specifically, I'm talking about horribly worded answers to the multiple-choice questions, where you know the answer is "because it's res ipsa loquitur," for example, but the right MC answer is "plaintiff recovers, because the limb-eating elevator can only be activated from the first floor."

I've done about 600 MBE practice questions at this point, but at least two dozen times I've known exactly what the right answer is and why but still gotten it wrong because the questions are worded vaguely and shittily.

I just took the 100 question half-day exam in the step 5 book, and so many of the questions were just like this. You know the answer, yet it's not present in any discernible form.

Here's to hoping BarBri's claim that their questions are "statistically more difficult" than the actual MBE proves to be true.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Is anyone else taking a bar exam that has state multiple-choice questions? Or is it just Florida?

P.S., they're loving atrocious.

Some of those FL MC questions today were really, really bad. The first essay was a piece of poo poo too. On the other hand, the other two were so straightforward it surprised me.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Well, I'm enjoying my two forearms full of splinters courtesy of the Florida Board of Bar Examiners. I hope for my own sake that they have newer tables for the February administration.

Linguica hosed around with this message at July 27, 2011 around 17:56

You too, huh? My table had an uneven leg and the girl next to me was erasing every other answer today and the table was shaking like mad.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Nah man, she was just rubbing her arms against the table to collect all the complimentary wood.

Also did you also find it kind of amazing just how many people there were crammed into one gargantuan room? I sat up near the front and the first time I got up and turned around and saw just how many people (literally thousands I assume) there were in the gigantic convention room, quietly scribbling away, despite the room being almost totally silent, I was a little shocked.

I had heard from my dad (who took the FL bar in 1992) about the size of that room. I never really thought much of it until I walked in on the first day. I sat somewhere in the middle, seat number 018xx, and I could almost hardly see either wall on each end. It really was amazing.

Edit: I heard there were about 3,000 people taking the exam.

William Lee fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 28, 2011

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Surprisingly, the hivemind of xoxohth has made me feel better about the MBE. I'm positive I got most of the questions they discussed correct.

Now to go get so drunk I'll forget what I did over the last 2 days!

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Things I saw at the bar exam:

- A guy wearing a checkered bow tie and snakeskin boots.

- Several guys wearing suits and ties. Most of them looked like they'd also wear a fedora if hats were allowed.

- Many, many shirts made specifically for the bar exam.

- A girl in line frantically reading ~20 pages of handwritten notes all the way up to the metal detectors then pausing before she walked through so she could finish a sentence. The guards urged her through and she then defeatedly threw all the notes away.

- A guy sitting diagonal across an aisle from me getting up about 5 times per 3 hour session.

- A quite heavy-handed girl in front of me repeatedly signaling proctors for new pencils throughout the entire MBE.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Hahahaha. We were only given 2 sharpened but obviously used pencils. The eraser on one of mine looked like it'd been chewed on at the February exam.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Do you know what you're doing for work in FL btw, Lee?

My dad's a solo, doing mostly real estate and probate work, but he also does trusts, incorporations, etc. I've been working alongside him on and off since I was 13. The natural progression of things has landed me a spot in his practice. I have several good friends who are realtors, so I plan to bring in some closings through them initially, and I'd like to also expand into a new practice area, but I haven't really determined which.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

That's cool, you have the one background where it unambiguously makes sense to go to law school. How have the last 6 years or so impacted his practice? I certainly know that the local attorneys who do lots of real estate work complain about it endlessly, although obviously I'm not in a position to determine how much those complaints are justified.

When the bubble initially burst, that part of the business took a little hit for a while. Since then, it has either maintained or increased year-to-year. Where I live in south FL, there's an abundance of money being spent freely and those with it haven't really been affected by any of the nationwide economic issues.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

nm posted:

Please tell me this means t-shirts with "Bar Exam Shirt" or the like stenciled on them. Because if there are custom bar exam shirts, I'm kind of pissed I didn't invent them.
If they don't exist, I'm going to make them and set up a marketing campaign through barbri.

Notably, Barry University students wearing some kind of shirt about when in doubt, pick B.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Speaking of bar shirts, I was thinking about what would have to be on your shirt in order to be denied admission to the exam.

For example, what if you had a shirt that was just covered in things like MYLEGS and BARRK in some decorative script?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Anyone else taking the MPRE tomorrow?

I managed to fail the first time by a few points by not doing any prep whatsoever and being so hung over during the exam, I left after an hour.

Watched the BarBri lecture, went over the handout a few times, and did a few practice exams today. I'm going to be golden.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

Passed the FL bar. Wooooooo. What about you, Prussian?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

This is a thing of beauty. Prussian, did you end up passing both parts or did you fail FL as predicted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Lee
May 16, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

I failed the FL portion but my MBE portion surplus score was enough to eke out an overall pass anyway. You?

I managed to get passes across the board, which is quite surprising given what a mess the mortgage essay and FL MC questions were.