Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

he has two gay dads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The surgeon is Christian Shephard

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Related question - what do you do about question marks at the end of a sentence that ends with a quote when the question mark isn't part of the sentence? For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point"? Should the ? go inside the quotation? If it goes outside, should something go inside the quotation?

Related question to the related question - what do you do when you're quoting a question in the middle of a sentence? For example, some guy just asked me "do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point?"

For example, some guy just asked me "Do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

Basically the punctuation of the quote takes precedence unless the main sentence ends with an exclamation or question mark and the quote would end with a period.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You don't need a JD to do public service work, just go do that now instead of waiting 3 years and spending a hundred thousand dollars.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

GregNorc posted:

I can't really beat myself up too bad though... "Being the next JZ" is probably a bit ambitious of a goal...

You should just gently caress that guy you're so in love with instead.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't know, I can kind of feel for people just graduating and getting ready for finals/the bar and being scared shitless at having no job.

But they're probably just douchebags though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I wish I could make something that wasn't paper.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wow what a hard hitting look at the state of the legal profession, 5 T1 students who all have jobs.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

BrotherAdso posted:

edit: I've always been interested in social law, legal history, jurisprudence, and philosophy of law since forever, and have a friend working as an ADA who I admire and can see doing the sort of work he does, so it's not "but mom, I don't WANT to be a lawyer!"

Most of those things are not lawyers.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Warp posted:

and she doesn't consider where she lives to be as important as the education she receives

If you let her go she won't be getting an education, just a piece of paper from somewhere that isn't accredited (provisional doesn't count) and a shitload of debt.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

New schools are a joke, when she sends her resume out and people see the name of the school she went to on it they will laugh for ten minutes then toss it out instead of just tossing it out.

It's difficult to get across to people because for non-lawyers law school is seen as a prestigious thing. It's a point of pride for a parent to say "My daughter goes to law school". Once you're a lawyer you know what a farce it is, however interesting it may or may not have been. You end up with people who go to law school because it's such an honor and have no idea they're just throwing away money and happiness in most cases.

The best strategy for you is to show how bad of an investment it is. The amount she forgoes by not working, the cost of loans (factoring in interest), and the dismal job prospects. Then explain the arbitrary nature of grading and the near-impossiblity of transferring to a good school from one of the shitholes she got admitted to. If that doesn't work prey on her ego and convince her that she's way too smart to waste herself at those schools, and get a job for a couple years that will make her resume look a lot better and give her a lot of time to study for and destroy the LSATs and get into the school she deserves (use this word) to go to. Hopefully after a couple years of making money she'll have just forgotten all about law school.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 27, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Warp posted:

Stuff

She has literally no idea what the legal profession, law school, or her prospective school choices entail. She is only going because she's "supposed" to go to law school. There's really no reasoning with that and the more evidence she's presented with that law school is an awful idea the more sure she will be that going to Western or that other school is a good idea.

Please don't end up marrying this girl, she's probably going to wreck her future but you can save yourself!

The Warp posted:

She's wondering who the gently caress you guys are and where are all the unemployed lawyers you're talking about?

There's like a hundred thousand at home living with their parents. Does she think that there's not a lot of unemployed lawyers because she doesn't see day laborers in suits standing outside law firms getting into pickup trucks to do document review?

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 28, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

diospadre posted:

There's like a hundred thousand at home living with their parents. Does she think that there's not a lot of unemployed lawyers because she doesn't see day laborers in suits standing outside law firms getting into pickup trucks to do document review?

You know I bet I could make good money starting a document review firm with this exact business model.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm going to give up on law and just put on my resume that I sucked dick for coke since 04, hopefully they won't ask for professional references.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

newberstein posted:

So a few pages back I asked about how much of an effect knowing the dean in a non-related department would help my chances at a T14. The general consensus was that it wouldn't really make a difference but I found out today that he got promoted to Vice President. How much more of an impact am I looking at?

He's going to know better than any of us would, go ask him.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hey it could be true, they're only talking about one lawyer after all.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

OptimistPrime posted:

Eh, sort of. There are a couple backgrounds that are particularly in demand - EE (any level) and PhD level biotech.

I'm curious, why are electrical engineers always mentioned as being in demand? Is there just a shortage of them?

I ask because I always wanted to be an electrical engineer, but not badly enough to put forth any effort in any math class past 4th grade.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Lemonus posted:

Firtly, I have no intention of going to Law School in the USA. poo poo sounds awful.

I am a dual NZ/USA citizen in my third year of a LLB/BA in New Zealand.

I was wondering if people had some sources of info on Non-Bar law-ish jobs in the USA and such? Perhaps consultancy and stuff for multinational corporations that trade with New Zealand or something like that. Maybe someone here has some idea of what opportunities are out there?.

Its a long way off but Im starting to get interested in living and working in Seattle, San Francisco or Atlanta after I graduate which would be like 2.5 years from now. Figured I should start exploring ideas.

I have a summer clerkship lined up with a top 4 NZ firm the summer after next it appears. The law job climate here does not seem nearly as awful as it is over in the USA. I am doing pretty well for myself grade-wise etc. which is nice too.

Hey man you already asked this and got an answer you probably didn't like, asking again won't get you a better answer.

Warp: good job convincing your girlfriend! You must be a skilled arguer; have you ever considered going to law school?

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 4, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How do people wear nice shirts without undershirts? Especially if they're starchy, they'd tear the poo poo out of my skin. Maybe I've just got baby princess skin though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Kaufman is the best BarBri professor.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You'd have to take a lot of bar exams.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

And it probably teaches you how to practice chiropracty.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Forever Zero posted:

Nope not at all. Think 150k debt with an avg starting salary of 40k. Also try going to the mall to set up a kiosk to get patients. Also the profession isn't respected at all because it is all quackery. Trust me lawyers have a much easier life than the life of freshly minted chiropractors.

http://www.wisconsinchiropractic.com/aca.htm

So law school/chiropractic school are exactly the same.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Do you goals involve getting a job somewhere that isn't your dad's law firm? If not don't go to law school.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I Am Not Clever posted:

Is the outlook really that grim? I was under the impression that schools like Lewis & Clark and University of Oregon are well-regarded within their region, the pacific northwest, though they may not get me far in New York City or Washington, DC, for example.

Every single law school claims this. They say "Yeah, you'd have to go to a T1 school if you wanted to practice anywhere in the US, but we are well regarded here in state/city. In fact regional firms love us because they see our graduates are better prepared to practice than those from other schools in the area."

As for your question about employment statistics, yes they are bullshit. You will graduate and go back to Walmart, and your school will count you as another successful student employed full-time at graduation. Unless your uncle will hire you out of school, do not go. Even then do not go unless you actually want to be a lawyer. Not wanting to work at Walmart anymore is not the same thing as wanting to be a lawyer.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I bet that's something that may keep you from passing a character and fitness test for admittance to the bar.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

_areaman posted:

one of the guys who made the hiring decisions is an ex-lawyer

He wanted to save you from law school.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You seem that you generally like your current job (to the extent that one enjoys work) and you're making good money for a young single person. Take a year or two to decide what you really want to do and keep your eyes open for new opportunities. You've got money and plenty of time, and anyone who tells you you're getting too old is projecting their own insecurities and failures on you.

Ask yourself what's worse: a whole life of being miserable and saddled with debt, or having a fight with your parents about law school every few months for a few years before they realize it's just not gonna happen?

Also, lol at your mom telling you to quit your legal job to get away from the negative environment in favor of fully committing your entire life to the exact same environment. She just told you not to go to law school.

edit: Also why exactly do people need self-actualization from their job? This isn't really a question for you but in general. I think our society puts way too much value and identity into whatever one does for money. Jobs are to finance your life, they shouldn't be your life.

gently caress america

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 26, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Oh yeah, if you want to defer this issue with your parents for another year you should rob a bank like that one guy so Fordham rescinds your admission. Just make sure to steal enough so it's a felony.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How do you even get to the topic of cybering in a MUD in conversation?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nor is 90th percentile on the LSAT that good.

how loving ridiculous is that

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Don't practice MPTs.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Kinda easy to say all that when you don't need to find clients.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I remember sitting in the Commercial Paper and Secured Transactions lectures and thinking that there would be no way I'd have any loving clue as to what they were talking about if I didn't actually take those classes.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah, you've got it. You need to practice the essays enough so that you're comfortable writing an answer, but practicing the multiple choice a lot more for MBE subjects will teach you the stuff you need to know so you can answer the essays.

Basically start making flash cards now, 80% of the work is memorization and you'll be surprised at how much you can pack into your head if you work at it.

Also as soon as you're comfortable writing full essay answers stop doing that for the majority of them and just jot down outlines for answers and compare those to the sample answer instead of wasting time writing for 20 minutes.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 7, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nobody ever went to medical school because they didn't know what else to do after finishing undergrad!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

loving the secretary isn't as much fun in that situation.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

poo poo

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Mr. Fictitious posted:

yeah i'm gonna go ahead and say that that's extremely difficult unless you already had that amount in the bank before law school and then got a full tuition scholarship and lived with your parents

I could have done it if I knew that's what it took to be successful before law school, but like everyone else I was a loving idiot 22 year old whose first mistake was going to law school so the odds were against me from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Even if it turns out being a paralegal sucks that's fine because if you leave you don't owe $150k and will be able to get another job doing anything else.