Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

stingray1381 posted:

I really don't think an $80K job out of law school as a lawyer actually exists. All the big firm jobs start at $160K and the rest of the jobs are small-mid size firms and government jobs. Those types of job all start much lower than $80K.

But our moms are so proud of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

No cheese on tacos in madison?
Wow, hell has frozen over.

Is La bamba still around? I was fond of their burritos the size of my head.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Kumo posted:

I'll try this again.

Taking the Bar this summer, should I complain here, or start up a new thread?

Please complain here!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Defleshed posted:

Ok so newb lawyer question here:

Do I need to sue the insurance company of the guy who hit my wife's car (since they declined to pay us to fix the damage) or do I just sue the guy himself and let him worry about his insurance company and what they do? I feel like I know the answer is to just sue the guy, but I want to make sure before I go ahead and do that.

Solo Huckster Chat ITT

Try and find a cause of action against the insurance company too. Conspiracy, Deceptive Trade Practices, any private cause for an insurance company not meeting statutory requirements?

Your going to settle anyway so you might as well raise the "possible payout" on the insurance company even if there is only a 1% of winning at trial.

Also see if your state has any sort of Stowers demand available.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1276634/

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 13, 2010

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I got a job offer today at a small firm which is great. Bad news is he can't match my current salary until I pass the bar (have one year left of school). Is practicing law (something I want to do) worth a 10%-20% haircut?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

What field?

I'd be hired in as mass tort but as the youngest associate I'd be doing family law, PI, and general business law as needed.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Incredulous Red posted:

What guarantees do you have that you'll actually be brought back up to the same level of pay

None but he volunteered that he could bring me back up after the bar. I guess if I could get him to pay me for studying for the bar it would come out as a wash.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

prussian advisor posted:

What's your current job?

I'm a practice administrator (in function if not title) for a large group of physicians. Not a career, at least not on the path I'm on.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Applebee123 posted:

Looks like a new low for salaries for new lawyers. According to abovethelaw some firms may move to offers of salaries of negative $42,000 a year.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/smu-will-pay-you-to-hire-their-graduates/

If I can get them to allow part time students to dip into the sweet sweet sauce, I'll get to practice law and not take a pay cut!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

J Miracle posted:

Any other 3Ls feel like they don't have enough credits left to take all the classes they want, or am I just a freak? I have 19 credits of classes all 3L year and I have a shitload I want to take. I know it won't matter because I'll die alone and penniless anyway, but...arrrggghh.

I want to learn more than I have time for, but that doesn't really translate into wanting to take more classes. (I'm personally more of an autodidact)

So yes and no?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

The taco place near where I work makes their own tortillas for the tacos. MMMMMM.

When properly made, a tortilla can surpass the taco stuffing as a meal..... mmmmm tortillas.

Everyone should come down to Texas, you can get real BBQ (mesquite), real Tex-Mex, and real Mexican food... just saying.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

No, that's the worst part - these were people who actually had jobs, but just weren't starting as early as they wanted to.

Hey, MJ's death hit him hard ok?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Solomon Grundy posted:

The answer to the question "do you have time to . . . .?" is always yes.

Also if you think the partner has the law wrong, stick to your guns. He or she will appreciate your gumption and determination.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

I think that the subordinate attorney should stick to his guns if he thinks the partner is wrong, but the subordinate must have good data to back his position up, and must be very polite and respectful when arguing back. Don't just "stick to your guns" in typical layperson argument mode.

What are the odds that a summer associate knows the "correct" law? ;)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Hot drat, I love me some IzzyFnStradlin! :clint:

I like to imagine that he isn't a troll and that somewhere there is some bi-polar angry guy furiously pounding on his keyboard.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

SWATJester posted:

A very very important question remains:

What is the correct term to use between now and the bar exam: Lawyer, or Attorney? I always thought Lawyer meant licensed to practice, but various web searches are informing me that it simply means that you were schooled in legal education, whereas an attorney need not necessarily have had formal education (i.e., Cali-style reading for the bar).

Why do some folks put "Attorney at Law"? Are there other types? Can I be an "Attorney at Computer Games"?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Is it like that at small firms too? I mean I understand the urgency of work (as I type this at work while not working) but I like having a life.... I mean StarCraft 2 is about to come out!

My impression (back when there were jobs) was that everyone worked in the biglaw meat grinder to pay off loans and then found a reasonable job that didn't destroy their souls? Is it all a sausage factory?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

SWATJester posted:

Lol LLMs and Israel: my school hates Israel so much. The school had movie screenings accepting donations for convicted terrorists, and held fundraisers to give to organizations who then donate to Hamas.

At graduation for the LLMs half of them were listed as "Palestine" as their "country" of graduation, ignoring that no such thing exists.

I love how progressive my school was, except for issues of Israel. They don't realize how many Jewish students they've pissed off who absolutely won't donate anything to the school because of it.

Start political rant: Those silly idiots, I bet they were against apartheid too! Think of all the Afrikaner money they lost.

*end rant

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Izzy got a job offer!

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/a-massachusetts-lawyer-you-dont-want-to-work-for-and-a-law-student-you-dont-want-to-hire/

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Zikan posted:

How bad is McGeorge School of Law at University of the Pacific? It break Top 100 (at 98). How hosed are the both of them?

Assuming they aren't in the top 10 of their class? very hosed.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this since ElieKash didn't make a new post, only edited the old post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrQSdSSbDQ&feature=player_embedded

dude's got pictures of the founding fathers and law books, he ain't fuckin around

Wow, I don't know what is worse; the content of the video or the fact that he thought it might help him in "the legal community". His office was very impressive by why didn't he mention the vintage coke machine?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Special A posted:

Does anyone have any information on how financial aid works with law school? I'm thinking about applying for for Class of 2014 and I've been out of school and working since 2006. According to the FAFSA, I'm considered an independent, so does that mean that I'd potentially have an income of $0 once I leave my job? I wouldn't plan on leaving until a month or so before class started, so I imagine at least my first year I'd have to list an income, but after that, would I be able to qualify for federal money?

Pro tip #1: don't go to law school.
Pro tip #2: if you do, go to night school and keep working.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I'm really interested in international human rights law.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Solomon Grundy posted:

Now her resentment begins to build, as she tries to find something to do with a rhetoric degree. As she slogs from fast food restaurant to temp agency, she will hold one person, and one person only, responsible for her miserable lot in life - you. You, the Warp, you. You who crushed her life's dream of being a lawyer. But for you and your desire to keep her down, she would be wearing Ally McBeal skirts and making $200,000. Why did you have to ruin her life?

This is true, your relationship is now doomed but you saved her from modern serfdom. Win some, lose some.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

HiddenReplaced posted:

Hey Scraps, I'm fine with putting up with your bullshit rambling about malpractice, but please stop talking out of your rear end about employment law.

:drat:

Granted I know nothing about employment law but where did he misspeak?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Can't find a job? Maybe it's time to take your search on the road.

The U.S. trucking industry will need to hire about 200,000 drivers by the end of this year, and will need to add another 200,000 by the end of 2011, according to the state of logistics report from the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/09/news/economy/truck_driver_shortage/index.htm?hpt=T2

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'd rather be a truck-driving lawyer who goes from truck stop to truck stop offering cheap legal advice while hauling goods.

And arm wrestling. :bustem:

I smell a Lost replacement on ABC called "The rules of the road".

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
The Rules of the Road: Pilot Intro

Scene: Run down trucker bar, at one time it had a "western" theme, now it's just a mess.

Big John sits on a bar stool heavy with drink.

Big John pays the bar tender, his thoughts are narrated:

"It wasn't always like this, I had a wife, a son and a most importantly a Mercedes, I wish that loving case had never slid across my desk."

Big John stumbles towards Trixie on the way out of the bar

Trixie: "Want some company Big John?"
Big John: "Not tonight darling"

Big John narration: "Not any night Trixie, your no Ashley Dupre"

Further stumbling towards the door

Big John narration: "I guess I'm no Robert Pattinson either, you know, me and Trixie have more in common than I'm willing to admit"

Door opens, sunlight is blinding and the camera goes completely white
*Theme Song

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I poor my heart out to you guys and don't even get a single reply?

That's it, I'm turning this car around.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Blinkz0rz posted:

Eh, VO narration is a pretty weak device, especially to open a pilot. Plus, I think it speaks to the condition of the economy if the lawyer gets downsized rather than fired for cause.

What's your arching serialized plot then if not "the case"? :colbert:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Alaemon posted:

words

Not enough trucking for my tastes.

/\/\
I do like the Soprano's ending.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

OptimistPrime posted:

What are some examples of good questions? This is an area where I worry I may fall flat as an interviewee, so I appreciate any tips to really up that part of my interview game.

I think the answers to these questions can only really lose you points. By this point in the interview they already know if they want to hire you or not. No one's gotten the job by acing the "5 year question" but I'm sure many have lost it.

People like themselves and are looking to hire themselves. To the extent you can truthfully mirror them you are better off. Find some commonality and beat that dead horse until you find some other commonality.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Nothing is better than your future employer advising you to stay put at your current job because he can't come near your current salary.

Go to law school, get 150k in debt and a chance to negotiate your salary decrease!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

As in (I think) we brought in a federal circuit appeal that I will be working on.

Recoveries are pretty minimal to non-existent in false-marking suits, but there is some motivation to settle, given that the plaintiff often push it past summary judgment if you can plead it right.

You sir are incorrect, a pro sea attorney can file suit after purchasing the false marketed product and receive $500 per widget sold ($500 x 1000's = a lot of money).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

I should have been clear that I was talking about actual recoveries, not potential receoveries. No plaintiff has received $500 per widget. One dude received like $180 per widget for a grand total of like six grand. Another received 35 cents per widget, albeit for a total of like $220,000. That's two plaintiffs who received some money. Very few other plaintiffs have entered settlements.

Edit: I am the one who licks balls. The articles were about "possible" judgments.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 18, 2010

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

GamingHyena posted:

There's no question that the flood of law school grads is putting a massive downward pressure on wages for new attorneys.

In medicine, fee for service pay systems have lead to an increase in the number of services preformed.

I'm not sure why a massive increase in lawyers doesn't = a massive increase in lawsuits. Economically it should be so cheap to bring a suit that many more suits will be brought.

I don't know why this doesn't occur but it doesn't appear to be.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

lipstick thespian posted:

Because lawyers need lawsuits. This requires a client, and it also (if the lawyer wants to eat) requires a client with money and a will to spend that money on attorney fees for lawsuits, frivolous or not.

Why would it be cheap to bring suits, exactly? Even if you go pro se, getting smacked with paying for the opposite side's attorney fees can completely ruin your economy and possibly even force you into bankruptcy. I'm not sure you've thought this through. :shobon:

Your assumption is that all clients with valid suits are currently being represented and thus a lower price wouldn't increase the "suit pool". I think there are plenty of suits (meritorious or not) left on the table because of price.

The majority of the cost of a law suit is not in court fees or opposing attorney's fees but in the client paying their own attorney + witnesses. One would assume that a large pool of attorneys would drive down the cost for clients as attorneys compete on price.

My argument isn't that this is happening, but I'm wondering why it's not.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

lipstick thespian posted:

No. I'm sure a lot of people have valid suits and then don't find it in them to bring it to court. And that is exactly the problem. Lower prices might very well increase the amount of suits brought to bear, but given that we do not like in a market with perfect information, a lot of people don't know or care about their possibilities of winning regardless of the merit of their potential case (or the cost of their potential attorney). As such, they don't sue.

Information inadequacies in markets is some serious 101 stuff. If you want to keep your analysis of what's happening on the most basic level possible, you should probably incorporate it into your model.

Sure there isn't perfect market information. One would assume an army of hungry lawyers would advertise their low low costs and help correct the inadequacies. I'd like to see a study of the # of traffic tickets contested as the market price has gone from ~$100 to ~$50 here locally.

Is your argument that there are structural problems in the legal market or the market is working fine?

"serious 101 stuff"

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

poofactory posted:

I'm looking to retire from the law business in the next couple years. How possible is it to sell my practice that would consist of client files, contacts, web site, work product and some lovely used furniture? I can thrown in a secretary and law clerk but can't guarantee they'll stay. Is there a revenue or profit multiple I can apply or is this a pipe dream?

What state? If Texas then PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/business/22law.html?hp

"One day next month every student at Loyola Law School Los Angeles will awake to a higher grade point average.

But it’s not because they are all working harder.

The school is retroactively inflating its grades, tacking on 0.333 to every grade recorded in the last few years. The goal is to make its students look more attractive in a competitive job market."