Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I swear computers have chips installed in them that detect when you're almost ready to turn in that paper that's the only thing left between you and graduation, and then signal everything else to stop working.

It's all backed up on Dropbox and I think it's mostly fixed now, but there's some Murphy's Law in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

Awesome, looks like the curve is nice and low already.

Thank god for illiteracy at state schools.

So the question was Comstock, basically? That sounds more interesting than our conlaw exam.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Elotana posted:

There's a law-school-only ceremony that I plan on attending and my parents are driving up for, but a cap and gown rental for JDs was like $500 or something ludicrous like that, and UT is a huge loving university, so I have zero interest in another huge-rear end graduation.

Holy poo poo. I think ours were $80.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

His assumption was that because a person didn't fit his initial profile of a person who would make it into a T14 school, there must be some other mitigating factor. That could be true. He could be a legacy, or famous, or any number of other things that might make this T14's admissions department choose him over someone else. But ewr2870 went with the guy being a URM.

URMs are going to be more common than famous college athletes, so it's probably a fair assumption.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

methamphetamine posted:

I love how so many people is this thread think it's nerdy and lame to work hard and get good grades but then whine 24/7 about no jobs.

Well at least now it won't be awkward at all if you run into him there next year. :laugh:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

BigHead posted:

and North Minneapolis, Witch Doctor vs Aorta (NMPLSMDVSAO) but don't remember what it's for. Oh, god.

What the christ?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

entris posted:

I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana, seeing as how it is still illegal.

I think this is an exact quote of me from some pot thread a few months ago.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

TheBestDeception posted:

As much as I don't like agreeing with this gimmick, the bar exam pisses me off for this reason. 90% of the Texas bar is from knowing specific rules about specific areas of law, many of which are irrelevant. 10% (MPT) tests actual and useful lawyering skills that one should have picked up during law school.

Memorization is dumb. If the board of law examiners REALLY think the essay portion tests analyzation (it doesn't), then we should be able to use outlines for it.

We don't even do the MPT; 6 MEE questions, 6 state questions, and the MBE. If I tackled a real-life issue the way I'm supposed to on the bar, I'd be liable for malpractice.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Felt really good about two or three of the essays and thankfully didn't get any that flat-out stumped me, but the MBE was a beast. Still optimistic and can't remember a pretty good chunk of last night. :cheers:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh give it a rest already

That's what tipped you over the edge?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

terrorist ambulance posted:

Reading books where every second word is highlighted is irritating and distracting, I have no idea how people find that helpful

Amazon's Marketplace comments are actually pretty useful here. I never did any writing in the margins but I liked to highlight things myself that looked important (when I was a 1L, every other word; later on, a few important phrases), so I'd go through the listings looking for anything marked as Good+ quality with "minimal notes in margins" or "lots of notes, no highlighting". Saved hundreds of dollars buying casebooks that were almost untouched and then sold them back to the bookstore, often for more than I paid for them.

jake1357 posted:

What about the rest of the materials in the casebook? The commentary and practice questions, etc

Skim them and squiggly-mark anything that the professor seems to spend a lot of time on and/or says "this is something I like to put on the exam."

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Defleshed posted:

Also, what the gently caress is this forum cancer thing

If you're on Firefox, a guy in the comments forum posted this, which can be added to <profile>\chrome\userContent.css to get rid of the opacity effect. Seems to do the trick.

code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(http://forums.somethingawful.com) {
 td.postbody .cancerous { opacity: 1 !important; }
}

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Either that or I'd kill to import one of the thai women from Bangkok

Don't they have websites for that?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Seems like more of a horrible possibility of reading and understanding it.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

What? No. Don't say stuff like this if you don't actually know. Those aren't Yale numbers. He has a shot at Yale, but probably wouldn't get in. And he's only a maybe at Harvard and Stanford. Stanford is also pretty grade-heavy so his chances at Harvard are probably better. He has a very good chance of not making it into HYS altogether. The GPA is a little low for those schools.

No more "Have fun at Yale/Stanford/Harvard" posts unless you know what you're talking about please, it's annoying (if I missed the part where he said he's a URM, I apologize).

Edit: Also Petey I think you mean admittances instead of applicants.

Unless the ranges have gone way up in the last few years, 178/3.7 will almost certainly get into Harvard, and Stanford and Yale are both good shots that are worth applying for. My bet would be Stanford.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Passed!

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~

:hfive:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Totally loving the GBS hysterics over "6 year old girl can be sued for bicycle accident."

The court orders garnishment of any future wages from lawn-mowings, lemonade stands, and/or bake sales. :doink:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

evilweasel posted:

High-potency for a toddler maybe, dogfish fort and dogfish 120 minute are where it's at.

I tried the 120 once, it came in this adorable little chalice-thingy and was kind of like drinking wine. 60 and 90 are terrific, though.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

nm posted:

In theory this doesn't mean that that isn't untrue.

Now that's a sentence.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

nm posted:

Uhm, yeah. . . .

Scotch (and Canadian whisky, IIRC) is spelled without the 'e', whereas everything else is 'whiskey.'

Edit: You were correcting him; read that wrong. :blush:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

The highly scientific TLS forums. Someone did an analysis of last cycle and found that HYS generally appeared to actually assess retakes by averaging the scores, as some schools claim to do. I have no doubt that a 178+ retake would get someone in to HYS, and if they otherwise like you a median retake might get you in, but it seemed rather conclusive that 173 retakes weren't being treated the same as 173 single scores.

I wish I had a source, but I don't dare comb through hundreds of pages of HYS threads on TLS again. Given that it used self-selecting LSN data the analysis is of course flawed, but it was convincing enough to dissuade me from a retake when I was considering it. I imagine HYS just gets enough applicants with a score around a 173 first try that everything else equal, they can and would go for the person who "got it right" the first time.

I don't actually live in the Bay Area itself anymore, but I'm close, with weather comparable to Cambridge (I think). That being said, I enjoy the cold and snow, and I've spent enough time around Palo Alto to want to leave the entire area for a while before coming back. I'm also more studious when going outside means freezing to death.

It's not a non-issue, but I'm used to 80 mph winds, snow, and freezing wind chill. It doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure why you're worried about retaking to begin with. You're in at H and S, and if you wanted to take time off, Harvard should still allow you to defer your acceptance for 1-2 years and I'm sure Stanford has a similar option. Your score would be good to re-apply for five years at any rate, so it sounds like the retake would only be playing the small chance that you score high enough to get into Yale. You also run the risk of wrecking your average at schools who look at that, not to mention paying / studying for the LSAT a second time around.

People tend to over-think the weather part of it; Boston's an awesome city, especially if your plan is to spend a few years and then move back to the best coast. The difference to me would be that if you know you want to work in California - the Bay Area in particular - going to Stanford makes it easy to demonstrate your interest in working there when you start applying for jobs. Otherwise prospects from both are solid, but not as guaranteed as a certain hippie commune in CT.

zzyzx fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 3, 2022

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

entris posted:

I don't get why people (mostly liberals) criticize him for this.

I'd imagine a lot of people don't particularly mind his courtroom behavior so much as they dislike his politics and see an easy angle of attack.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Patent and other technical firms will generally ask for them, I think.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

You'll do great. Good luck! :cheers:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Shouldn't the "no jobs" clause exempt this thread from moving to the careers subforum?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Also, and I don't know HLS's program (LRAP, I think), but a lot of schools will contribute to your loan repayment if you work in public interest and/or make below a certain amount. I know at Yale, if you make below 100k the school contributes to your loan repayment and under 60k they take over your loans entirely.

LRAP is the general acronym for a loan repayment assistance program; Harvard has the LIPP (low income protection plan), which is a generous LRAP and probably similar to Yale. Below $45K, the law school covers all of your loan payments, and there's a sliding scale of expected payments as income increases past that. Applies to any government/nonprofit/academic job and private-sector legal jobs.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Client sounds like a real loose cannon.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

gvibes posted:

I was really close to failing the MPRE.

The best MPRE score isn't the highest, but the one just above what you need to pass. Means you studied exactly the right amount.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

PIZZA posted:

I should mention that I think I'd like to work for some sort of animal or human rights cause, perhaps as in-house counsel for something along the lines of the ASPCA, but I really don't know my options and holy poo poo the OP is depressing, is it even worth saying I want a specific kind of job?

According to this article, the ASPCA has ten attorneys who work in-house - they're probably all in NYC and are experienced attorneys doing a lot of contracts work. I have no idea when it's dated, but:

quote:

Q: What does the ASPCA look for when hiring associate counsels?

A: I hired someone three weeks ago to replace me in the counsel role. She's actually someone who worked at three of the largest law firms in the world. She also had done some pro bono work for me in the past. The thing I liked about her was she had a stellar legal resume, but she also had a dog that was a rescue. She is someone who took on pro bono work in the past, not just for my organization but for other organizations. She obviously cares about animals and has a strong legal background. You don't have to have a love of animals to work here, but it really helps.

Not going to happen.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

entris posted:

How does something like this get resolved?

BigHead sends him a roll of tin foil and a pattern for folding it into a hat.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

I need some advice.

I'm loving with my resume to try and get a job at a firm that just decided to start doing legal malpractice.

Should I put in that I worked with legal doctrines specific to legal malpractice (things like the no-fracturing rule, the attorney judgment rule) or should I say that I worked on legal malpractice cases and then write the litigation-specific tasks that I did?

The second one.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Seluin posted:

At the moment, he's past the late registration deadline, but the people there said he could send them the materials again along with a waiver request. That would go to a committee who would then vote on whether or not to accept it.

If they say no, it sounds like the next time he'd be able to take the exam is February.

...so.

Any idea what his chances are?

Obvious advice that you guys have probably already covered, but here (not TX) we have the deadline, the late deadline, and then the really late deadline after which you can't submit anything - the fee increases with each step but the close of filing isn't until April 30th.

If you're past the close of filing, though, he's probably taking it next February.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

What'd you do to get that new title?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

It's most likely an unpaid internship that won't result in an offer. DAs are as broke as ever, but free help is free help.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Can I Phaser You posted:

Fake edit: I understand that some people might be inclined to ask "why the hell are you giving up a 45K job with bonuses to get into a shitload of debt and go to law school", but I have my reasons. I have spent a VERY long time (years) coming to the decision to apply to law school, and finally am set on doing it.

Since you're taking the LSAT in about a month, what are your practice results so far?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Yeah I had a feeling about that. Looks like I have painted myself into a corner rather nicely.

Chances are you're better off without the J.D. than with it. You tried law school for a year, it didn't work out, you cut your losses / had them cut for you. This way you avoid spending an extra three years and $100,000 only to be passed over for legal jobs (T4 school with middle-of-the-road grades if you're very lucky) and non-legal jobs (overqualified flight risk) while trying to deal with a whole bunch of student loans, and that's all provided you don't fail out again.

You have a polisci degree and some experience with finance stuff; use those. Like Scraps suggested, you might want to pick up a copy of Elements of Style first.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Seems like there'd be so many more fulfilling things to use it on than admin law.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Jesus, Matt, tell us how you really feel.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Where do you folks come down on the closing/valediction section of letters? Am I stuck with "very truly yours" or do you think I can be a renegade and go with "sincerely"?

"Sincerely yours" and split the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

The only correct answer is "Yours in Christ, (Your name) Bergstein."

I'm partial to "I beg to remain your most humble servant," personally.