Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sometimes I think about sitting for another bar just to have something to do

Don't do it. Just think how much life sucked for us about this time last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HooKars posted:

Retreat to the Hamptons for the weekend - just a good drunken time.

Fancy pants. We went to some place in Florida, Gulf side. The highlight of the weekend was an impromptu office vs office flip cup competition that included summers, associates, and partners. Trash talking ensued. Words got heated. Bottles of beer were broken, but not from anger. No, someone just fell on the table holding the empties.

The smallest satellite office won. All the other offices were scrubs. Only one of us puked, but that was hours later.

Do firms even do retreats anymore?

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HooKars posted:

Anyone have any really good made-up excuses for wanting to work in a specific state that you have no connection to (and haven't even ever been to)?

Like a few have said now, engaged to someone from that state is the standard.

I managed to find one client over the last month and did some relatively simple things for them. Why didn't someone else line up already? :( drat it, I'm going to starve when deferral money runs out.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HooKars posted:

This seems easier for a guy. Do I have to go out and buy a cubic zirconia ring?

A female law school friend actually did this for one of her 2L summer firms. Her lie was elaborate and involved him being a consultant that was traveling constantly during the week. During the weekend, he had things to do at the ranch and couldn't be in the city.

She was ultimately no offered, so its possible they saw through the lie since no one ever showed. Or she mentioned too many details and they did a check to see if he existed.

So be sure to make a fake Facebook account for him too :)

wacko_- fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 15, 2010

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

loving MOTHERFUCK PIECE OF poo poo SUPREME COURT gently caress YOU

EIGHT loving MONTHS OF WAITING FOR A PIECE OF poo poo THAT DOES ABSOLUTELY gently caress NOTHING

They must've thrown this together over the weekend.

At least software patents aren't all dead. Now, um, someone please hire me before the Third Depression eats us all.

P.S. sucks to be a hedging algorithm.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
You guys are all gunners. I thought the real MBE was way harder than the BarBri MBE questions last year.

Mileage may vary.

P.S. You'll all pass.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
Hi law thread. Its been a while. Still no job, die alone I take it? Me too.

Will sell blood plasma for booze. Inquire within.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Does the blood plasma come pre-infused with alcohol?

Occasionally, yes. The quality of the alcohol depends on the status of my bank account and on the whims of the local alcohol board. I expect the luxurious premium charged for booze pads their coffers nicely.

IrritationX posted:

As an aside, donating blood and blood products makes it insanely easy (read: cheap) to get drunk.

This is the truth.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
I just finished a phone interview with the USPTO. This, two weeks after receiving an email saying that the vacancy was closed. Nice.

Now to walk the neighborhood dogs so I can pay for slightly optimistic beers tonight.
Save me Obama!!

P.S. The coffee shop here wasn't hiring.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
Cooley thinks Wake Forest isn't worthy of the top 50.

I agree. Wake has a horrible basketball team this year.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

...and how it was a complete rip-off of B5? Live for the One, die for the One.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought DS9 ripped off B5.

It was still better than Voyager. Or the series that followed that was somehow even worse.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Nero posted:

Do I need to take a bar review course?

Most of your reasons for not taking a course seem to indicate you just don't like going to class. There are self-paced courses available for this situation. Although courses are pricey, so was law school.

Also I hear bears are particularly cruel to those who fail the Missouri bar.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HooKars posted:

Not feeling overly confident about where I stand in terms of knowing the material.

You'll do fine HooKars. Everyone thinks they will fail. Until they pass. You've done this once before and passed. Just think of the poor saps who are taking it for the second or third time.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
I took the MPRE twice. There's no shame in it. I'd still be at the same job I am now. Also lol I got a job.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Congrats! What are you doing and where are you doing it?

Patent examiner at the USPTO in Alexandria. Its not a law job, but at least the JD got me some extra money so I'm not completely destitute.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Are there decent "soft" intellectual property jobs out there, or am I going to be completely hamstrung by an inability to sit for the patent bar?

Since you can't sit for the patent bar, your options are IP litigation, copyrights, or trademarks. IP litigation will be iffy since many firms preferred attorneys who could sit for the patent bar to litigate for them. That leaves copyrights and trademarks.

You're doomed.

Even the USPTO can't save you.

wacko_- fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 16, 2011

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Chewbacca Defense posted:

Wake Forest got their annual angry anonymous email to the entire campus today. Does this happen anywhere else?

They're early this year.
Gunners.

Back in my day, the angry anonymous email bitched about Career Services around finals time.

This is adding value to my diploma btw.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
I took two tries to pass the MPRE. I only took one try to pass the bar exam. Obviously the MPRE is the harder test.

Please do not attempt to look up my bar exam griping from ages past. I was clearly delusional.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

billion dollar bitch posted:

Oh and by the way I am ironically stuffing the ballot box of a student election because I think it's funny so I need everyone to vote down the SUBMISSIVE KOREAN GIRLS and vote up the guy named Richard Lee.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6ZZLL8P

(Full disclosure: I am not Richard Lee)

Now that I've voted, tell me more about these Korean girls...

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

No more overtime

I wish I could've gotten some of that OT.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Your job is to deny the patents, all of them. If you accept one you lost.

This is so very true.

Amarkov posted:

I'd rather be working on some person/corporation's behalf, to try and get a specific result.

The specific result sought is always "Get me the broadest possible patent."

I just made the transition from examiner to patent attorney myself. The hours suck but I like it more. Also the pay bump is nice. But god do the hours suck.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So does the date that Google gives as the date of a website in its search results count as an admission of prior art against Google as an assignee? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, because its late in the biweek. Get your drat counts.

Also, I'd say probably.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I actually turned that in Monday so I'm done for the biweek the rest of the week. :coolfish:

God you government slackers. I had a case with a drop dead date today.

"Please file for us. We have no idea what to do. Btw, today is the 6 month date. Its cool you didn't have anything else to do right?"

You call those instructions? Those assholes paid for me to take a poo poo today. It was glorious.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Omerta posted:

Got no offered :smith:. Firm cited fit reasons and some inconsistent work product at the beginning. I'm super bummed and scared that I'm going to become Hookars and have to take 40 bar exams.

You're going to need to drink.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
Hi law-goons. Its been a while.

I left the government (USPTO) about 6 months ago and started at a firm doing patent prosecution. As one of the people who decided it was a good idea to graduate in 2009, this was my first entry into a life where 1950 billable hours were required of me. Its not far from the Patent Office, so my commute is the exact same. I even see some of my friends on the train. But they turn right when getting off the train while I turn left. Poetic.

Well here's the real question for those of you who've been practicing for a while. I've recently started getting grey hair. I'm 32 and the greys are invading. I already cut my hair very short, which hid it somewhat initially. Now its becoming noticeable. Dying my hair seems wrong, but is this what I'm reduced to? The girlfriend has already noticed but that's a different thread.

Help me law-goons.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HolySwissCheese posted:

Just go grey. Who cares?

My thoughts exactly but WHAT IF IT COMES IN PATCHY?!?!?

A Game of Chess posted:

Accept your grey hair and stop being a baby. Or start drinking, since that seems to be the other one size fits all solution.

Yes, drinking does help.

Bold Robot posted:

:dealwithit:

Could be worse, you could be going bald.

Nature is working on that for me too :(

mongeese posted:

Man, 1950 billable hour requirement as a patent prosecutor sounds horrible. I'm already balding and buzz everything down, but that would finish the rest of my hair off.

It is pretty tough I admit. Tougher than I thought it would be. My regular docket is ok, I usually have enough advance notice that I can make things work. Its the other projects, like reexaminations, that cause me the problems. But reexaminations are at least mountains of billable hours.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Solid Lizzie posted:

Dear Con Crim Pro Prof:

Thanks for using tons of the same questions from your practice exam, even those with some slight modifications.

Sincerely,

Dis 3L aw yeah

You knowingly signed up for a class that had an exam as a 3L?!? I hope it was a required class.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

In other words, I'd like to move to private practice, where at least I don't have to be confused as to what I'm supposed to do, as opposed to being confused as to what someone else is supposed to do.

Make the jump. The hours kinda suck but you don't have to beg for highlighters.

Seriously my office manager at the USPTO said no when I asked to get more than one highlighter from her locked drawer of supplies. And I didn't get to choose the color. What the hell?!?

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Not even a "gently caress the Japanese?" Hire a loving human being to read your application before you file it tia

Trust me, you're not seeing the worst of it. The applications are clean compared to their "instructions" sometimes.

Also why won't they stop using fax machines :sassargh:

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

e: Also pick up the phone; telephonic interviews, in my opinion, cut out three actions.

I'd love to, but the client won't pay for those hours unless explicitly approved. Also, have you tried interviewing some of your colleagues? Or hell, talk to them in the cafeteria? Ok, now try and argue claim language with them. Although to be fair, I ran into some pretty drat bad attorneys while examining too. But I didn't have time pressure as an examiner. 1 hour? Let's talk attorney man and agree to disagree fast so I can get out of here.

P.S. gently caress reexams.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

gret posted:

You must work with some weird clients since all of my highly encourage if not require interviews with a nice requisite bump in budget for doing so.

Wouldn't know if they're weird, but those are just the rules I've got. Stupidly budget conscious foreign clients??

They preach that they encourage us to interview the Examiners, but when we go for approval we often times get a no or just a set of claims back and instructions to argue them.

I don't know their decision making process, I just get the marching orders.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

I dunno, man. A few days into my USPTO training I am greatly preferring to be hanging around the lawyers and ex-agents than the other engineers. I suppose that law grad != law student, though.

Additionally, my SPE is insane. I am terrified for when I actually get to my art unit.

Fresh meat for the grinder.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

builds character posted:

3. Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.

I work too much now. Class of 2009 4 lyfe.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Ersatz posted:

I'm a 2010 grad from a T14. I'm a patent prosecutor at Biglaw in DC, with a focus on post-grant proceedings. I worked punishing hours for my first two years, and then realized that my firm doesn't demand a masochistic work ethic from its associates. I now bill around 45 hours a week, and I telecommute as much possible.

If you worked at my firm, I'd love you right now for telling me I can stop killing myself. But we're in Alexandria. Reexams suck.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Any of you DC patent people hiring?

We were, but it looks like we have a candidate now.

Gotta hustle for those spots.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Ersatz posted:

Different firm - sorry about that. I have my share of all-nighters around reexam deadlines, but overall I think it's worth it, because I actually enjoy that work. The budgets are large enough that there's an opportunity to dig in to the technology and really understand what's going on, there's a lot of writing involved, and sophisticated arguments are expected instead of discouraged. Also, given my billable rate, I realized that if I were to stick with straight prep and pros I would need to manage an unreasonable number of cases and a small army of handling attorneys to make my hours. I'd rather just go all in on a few reexams at a time. The workload can oscillate in weird ways, but I find it much less stressful.

I won't lie, I hate the hours I have to put in for them, but I do like reexam work for all the reasons you mentioned. My main problem is reexam deadlines seem to line themselves up with deadlines on my prosecution docket.

Those make for very unhappy days/nights.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Zo posted:

Given the quality of the average US examiner I wouldn't hire any either if I were in the position to do so, ha haha haha! haha ha.. ha...

Baruch Obamawitz writes in coherent sentences that strongly resemble English. He's better than most already.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
Filed the drat comments for a reexamination yesterday. Crazy amount of time spent on not that many pages, obsessing over every possible angle. Many late nights spent at work.

Back to regular prosecution this morning. I crack open one of the many responses that I'm behind on. Examiner didn't actually consider our amendments because its a cut/paste job of the last non-final. Down to the misspellings.

It's good to be playing against the PTO again.

wacko_- fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 20, 2013

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I always start out with a cut and paste, because the only way to get claim language on our end is OCRing poo poo, which is a lot of fun with underlining and strikethroughs.

I did the same too, but only for the claims. This clown copy pasted his whole action, including the wrong form paragraph for the conclusion. Still boggles my mind that they don't implement an OCR module in eDan that could handle the strikethroughs or underlines.

On a brighter note I got a raise. Woo private sector!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Zo posted:

I just got cockslapped with a 150-page Invalidation Appeal for a patent I've never handled before. This patent went through 4 previous invalidation attempts as well, all of which I have to review and add up to well over 2000 pages of bedtime reading (not that I will be anywhere close to a bed).

Lovely, good luck with that. I'm reviewing the file history for the next reexam later today.

My girlfriend broke up with me on Thursday. Woo private sector!