Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
To update the OP, I'm back at the Guam AG's office.

Also, last threads' champions:

User -- Posts
JudicialRestraints 716
Ainsley McTree 660
Incredulous Red 475
CaptainScraps 473
evilweasel 463

Apparently UW-Madison needs to assign more busywork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

"Ainsley McTree, April 19, 2007" posted:

I've got kind of a strange (possibly) question. I ctrl-f'd through the thread and didn't see any answers, but does a school with no grades hamper your opportunities after graduation at all? I'm a 1L at Northeastern, we have no grades here, just "evaluations". They're basically grades without the numbers; there are buzzwords that correspond to a letter grade, an excellent is an A, a very good is a B+, etc, but the point is, I think, that you can't be ranked into percentiles. I don't know how many other schools do this; apparently Yale does too, I did not know this until I read the thread, but then again, Northeastern isn't Yale.

But what kind of concerns me is that from what I hear, employers give a lot of weight to whether or not you're in the top ten percent, and whether or not you're on a law review. Northeastern has no grades and has no law review. I asked about it to some of the faculty and other advisor-type people, but I get very Northeasterny answers.

I'm not exactly sure who I'm asking this question to...lawyers I guess, maybe Northeastern grads, I dunno. Maybe the top 10%/law review thing doesn't even matter unless you wanna work at BIG FIRM, INC. I guess I'm just curious. It's a neat system that they've got here, but since it's one of the only schools using it, I wonder if it isn't a little detrimental to the students in the end.

We do have the co-op system though, I do like that. That's why I came actually. I may not have grades, but I'll have 4 semesters of work experience under my belt. That must count for something.

lawl

Those old megathreads are awesome.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I got to go give a talk to high school seniors, and tell them don't go, no jobs. I suppose I should have included the 'die alone' bit.

Most of their questions involved cops breaking up house parties.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Defleshed posted:

Nice, thanks for this tip. Gonna ask an old adjunct prof of mine who ambulance chases and see if we have anything like this in Illinois.

e: This claim is for like $1500. They might as well just settle, really.

Also check if your state has what's known as a 'direct action' statute that allows you to sue the insurer as well as the negligent party without having to jump through the hoops of exhausting every possible remedy against the insured first.

(Upon review, I don't think Illinois has this, and the majority of states don't. http://www.ilnb.uscourts.gov/opinions/JudgeWedoff/AlliedProducts.pdf at pg.6. I think the only ones that do are Louisiana, Guam, Wisconsin, California, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico, Arkansas, New York, Vermont and Maryland.)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

ewr2870 posted:

Go do something worthwhile.

Like play a little racquetball.
Or wash your car.
Or cook dinner.
Or join a funk band.
Or travel to a foreign country.
Or run for president.
Or talk to a member of the opposite sex.
Or lube your car.
Or host a weenie roast.
Or dig for buried treasure.
Or milk a cow.
Or have a yelling contest with your neighbor's dog.
Or perform brain surgery.
Or paint a yellow line in the center of your driveway.
Or write your name in the snow.
Or teach basket weaving to clams.
Or sing Welsh folk songs at the bank.
Or plant trees on public property.
Or confuse the person next to you.
Or make a triangular table.
Or hop, skip, and jump.
Or ride a train.
Or organize your sock drawer alphabetically.
Or go bowling with your mom.
Or train potato bugs to do tricks.
Or make a quilt.
Or publish a magazine about pencil shavings.
Or eat lime jello with pineapple in it.
Or pave a freeway.
Or learn to draw.
Or take up photography.
Or learn to tell time.
Or photocopy money.
Or go out for pasta.
Or sew a dress.
Or bathe your iguana.
Or go fishing.
Or paint a stranger's house in the middle of the night.
Or take up windsurfing.
Or change your hair style.
Or sharpen your whiteboard markers.
Or feed a toucan.
Or enjoy the sun.
Or do a crossword puzzle.
Or buy some cool clothes.
Or go to the beach.
Or play croquet with your dad.
Or water your plants.
Or build a doll house.
Or invite some friends over for salmon and white wine.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Is there a motion I can file where I can get a judicial order proclaiming opposing counsel is a fuckface?

There's the tried and true: "Motion to Kiss My rear end” in which you move “all Americans at large and one corrupt Judge Smith [to] kiss my got [sic] drat rear end sorry mother fucker you."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Save me jeebus posted:

After four years straight through an evening program with internships interspersed (no pay! :v:), having to do an extra summer because he failed community property, and failing the bar, my husband still thinks he's going to be a lawyer dagnabbit and he'll have a job too.

If he fails the July bar I'm dragging his happy as with me into the field while I work on my MA/PhD in archaeology. He can be my personal sifting bitch.

"Just pretend you're sifting through the jagged, broken remains of your pride, honey!"

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

billion dollar bitch posted:

I dunno - it could be that she's just not a dick.

Good theory. Here, I've compiled a list of every Harvard Law student or graduate who is reluctant to tell people they go/went to Harvard Law:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Anyone have any tips on being a summer associate?

I think the #1 tip is not waiting for work to come to you, you need to seek it out. Approach the attorneys to ask for work to do. Seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of summer associates do the whole 'sit there and wait' thing, and it never looks good.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

WDOJ depressing anecdote of the day: we have a 2L from Michigan working the same job as me. We are not getting paid. No one will get hired based upon their performance at this job. The worst part is that he seems to be a fairly nice guy.

tell him to sack up. 2L year I was doing a volunteer internship with the Dane County court system. Highlight of that summer: denying a motion from Ms. Packman. (No, I did not throw in a bunch of video game references.)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Update: I'm drafting motions in an attempted murder case. I'm just like a real lawyer but I know even less.

"Attempted murder... pshhh.. they don't give out the Nobel Prize for Attempted Chemistry."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Borrowed way too much student loan money and have been living cheaply

I have about a month or so to find a job before I need to ask my parents for help

I had some paid internships during law school that helped out quite a bit

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ersatz posted:

I know you've answered this question before, but how's the legal economy in Guam right now? Are there opportunities for new graduates?

It used to be better, it's gotten a little tighter now. You used to have the law clerks in the Superior Court cycling out once a year, but they're signing extended contracts now. What that means is that you need to have passed a bar to get work out here, since the clerk positions were the only ones where you didn't need bar passage for gov. work.

Any bar will do, though, even the Wisconsin non-exam bar. Once you have passed a bar, you can work any of the governmental positions for up to 5 years, and you basically have to be convicted of a crime to get fired from any of those positions. Once you pass the Guam bar, there are a decent amount of firms looking for help. Doesn't pay that great, though, until you make partner. I went back to government, and with step increases, will be making the exact same that I made in private practice in about 9 months.

Right now there will probably be openings in prosecution, as they're losing 4-5 attorneys in this 2 month period, in an office of 12-13 or so.

As for the future, tough to say. Everyone keeps hyping up the military buildup that will accompany the Marines moving 8,000 people here, but who knows what that will mean for legal work, other than an increase in construction law cases and assaults.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

Does this count as a discriminatory housing ad?

http://chambana.craigslist.org/sha/1761298911.html

Maybe for craigslist's rules, but I have the vague suspicion that the Fair Housing law doesn't apply to someone who has already rented a place and is just looking for a roommate. Besides, cats allowed.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Torpor posted:

Well I'm more than happy to drink Ainsley's milkshake, so I was looking at Guam jobs.

http://www.guamattorneygeneral.com/Job_Announcement.html

What the hell is a Court Clearance? They talk about it as if it separate from a certificate of good standing and separate from a police record certificate. Google turns up nothing and I've never heard of it. Applying for this job seems like a colossal pain compared to other jobs, but Guam looks like an adventure and I'm more than ready for a change of pace (from doing nothing at all).

It's going to the desk at the local court and having them certify that you don't have a massive criminal record, or a ton of unpaid parking tickets.

If you are going to apply, PM me or give me an email address. Right now there's only prosecution jobs available in GovGuam, and I can get your info to the right person far more quickly.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

BigHead posted:

Also, I was reading up on U.S. Territories today, and I learned that the Northern Mariana Islands a) has a 100% bar passage rate, and b) is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the most equitable climate on the planet. Therefore, their bar exam is easy and their climate is breezy. And they're right next to Guam, so you can hang out with all the cool kids who have jobs on the big island.

Trick to passing the CNMI bar exam: take it when some local kids are taking it, they'll pass everyone just to make sure the local kid makes it. The time I took it? 6 for 6. :smug:

However, the CNMI is currently turning into a 3rd world country, and is probably not the most hospitable place to be practicing. See, e.g., https://www.saipansucks.com - not updated since 2006, but just use your imagination to project what would happen to such a place once the garment industry dissolves and they've chased away all the tourism/military $$.

On the other hand, there are job opportunities there.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Save me jeebus posted:

Hey abugadu, how does the job market in Guam look for non-lawyers? Say in some basic office work, or maybe a teaching position? Guam's looking pretty good lately. Hopefully my husband passes the CA bar this time.

Pretty good, they're always hiring teachers, although you want to get into the private school market if you can, because the administration for the public schools will make you want to pull your own head off. And there's always places looking for office work as well. Double bonus points if you can speak Japanese/Korean/Chinese.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

How are the pay and living conditions there? I need something and maybe, just maybe, this could be my ticket. The sticking points would be my wife and 4-year-old.

Gov. pay for attorneys starts at 40k/year, private is starting 50-60k/year, but you'd have to pass the local bar first for that. Gov. attorneys get 5 years of temporary admission if they've passed the bar elsewhere.

Living conditions are fine, though wives/kids tend to not like it here unless your wife likes the outdoors and you can afford a private school for your kid.

The government jobs have filled up quite rapidly over the last year, there's only a couple spots left in the prosecution office, since all the people who would traditionally come here and work for a year or two before leaving are all sticking around due to the job market in the states.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Alaemon posted:

We finished a three week med mal trial today.

The jury got the case well after 4:00 pm -- I want to say quarter or even half past. And yet, somehow, at 4:58? VERDICT TIME.

I know I'm not supposed to say things that undermine confidence in the judicial process, but... really, guys? Three weeks of trial, countless experts and video deps, and you can sort through it in like 28 minutes?

Or could it just be that you wanted to go home, and if you tick the box finding "no breach of standard of care" you don't have to answer any of the other questions?

I've always considered myself a True Believer when it comes to the legal system. But some days... Some days I come home after work and watch Chicago, because anything less cynical seems inappropriate. Today was one such day.

Could be that they thought one side was complete bullshit one week into the trial, and spent the rest of the time praying that y'all would shut up and finish quickly. They do talk to each other before they recess for a verdict, they'd likely decided long before they were sent off to deliberate.

Just a thought.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

BigHead posted:

You future 1Ls should get ahold of some barbri books.

I think I said this before in one of the other megathreads, but yeah, I picked up more studying for the bar than I did through my 1L classes.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Hey guys, I'm a paralegal! Can I hang out with you guys or should I just go back to the "bra" thread? :roboluv:

It's fine, although you might find that your ability to get a job will set you apart from most of this thread's denizens.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Elotana posted:

I've been having the opposite problem with bar prep, I think I have the essays down pat but my MBE practice scores have stubbornly resisted rising above borderline. I was told by a friend that the BarBri MBE practice books are tougher, but that might just have been an attempt at reassurance.

Much like the LSAT, improving the MBE score is all about the practice tests. Do lots of them. Then do more.

^^^^^I've taken a few bars, it's been fairly similar to the practice tests each time.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

gvibes posted:

This was ~9 years ago.

Does that mean you were in the class where the two people got caught loving in the law library?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Jew Bear posted:

My friend's hubby just transferred from Valpo to Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis (incoming 2L). From this thread, I gather that either means he's not totally boned or he'll be making $14/hr as a Costco clerk rather than $10/hr as a barista.

Also, how boned are you if you don't intern anywhere between 1L and 2L?

It's kind of tricky. It used to be that no one cared what you did between 1L and 2L year, but these days it's almost expected that you did something law-related, at the least. Which is kind of a Catch-22 given the lovely market and the availability of recent grads falling over themselves to do volunteer work just to get experience for a resume.

Some employers won't care, others will see it as a drawback.

The one callback I got my 2L year was from a firm whose interviewer worked on the same case that I had written the opinion on while doing an unpaid internship 1L summer with a state appellate court.

Didn't get the job, but it was obviously the internship that got the foot in the door, so they can be useful.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I've been in too long. I don't know how to operate on the outside anymore.

*Carves username into ceiling beam at hotel*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUJh9L9r9U

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

It would still beat 'Reached level 80 in WoW' on the resume, which is what a disturbingly large percentage of grads are doing.

There's plenty of trust-fund kids who went to law school because their parents expected it of them that will gladly sponge for an additional year for more resume fodder.

I'm just surprised private firms didn't think of it before the US Atty's office.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

joat mon posted:

If one of the AUSA's bitches screws up there's no individual client to complain/sue, and even if there was, they've got prosecutorial immunity. The worst that happens is a misdemeanant goes free after spending a few weeks in jail.

Yeah, but you could have the volunteers doing something harmless like doc review, or at least have their work looked over before being sent out the door.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

joat mon posted:

But how would you bill them out? Can you bill the client for associate hours even if that 'associate' is unpaid? You can't not bill the work, that doesn't make any sense for the firm.
And even if the freebie lawyers could get on the firm's malpractice policy, the direct exam of the partner by the legal malpractice lawyer would be brutal.

Well, it's getting to the point where you're not going to be able to bill summer associates, either. But firms that would do this wouldn't be putting them in the line of fire, anyway, if they are interested in not being sued off the planet.

I'm just thinking that the massive oversupply of attorneys here is going to lead to some ridiculous situations as far as attempts to get experience on the resume. If not 'volunteer' work, then some mutation of the doc review sweatshops.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

VA dues time, and I decided to let my active membership lapse, as it's not worth it to me right now to pay for CLE.

Hope it's not that difficult to go back to active if/when I ever want to practice. I spoke to the Bar people and they said I'd just owe the CLE from this year plus the year I go back to active.

I'm inactive in two jurisdictions now, more because I didn't want to pay active membership fees than because of any CLE stuff. It's such a stupid sunk cost, because I'm not planning to practice in either of the two, but "you never know", and I wouldn't want to pay/take the bar again.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

I'm getting these weird dreams where I only get half my bar score back, thereby creating a cliff-hanger situation wherein I must score high on the remaining half in order to pass. Only, when the other half comes in, the original half disappears and I am left waiting for it again. For example: I get the MEE back, and I get a 120 or something, but the MBE is delayed; then the MBE comes back and I get a good score and therefore pass the bar, but what's this, the MEE is gone and I have to wait for the real score to be announced, because apparently the 120 was just in my imagination.

After a while of this back and forth, with a few clincher moments when I'm passing or failing within a point or two, I wake up confused as to what is going on with the bar.

What is the appropriate equitable remedy in this situation?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm going to have to sit down and type out the massive saga of the Worst Extern Ever at some point, and it will be a long, long, long post, but suffice to say that it may be a sign that you aren't reviewing your own work carefully when you hand a judge a set of jury instructions for Official Misconduct as a misdemeanor that include provisions for the death penalty.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Defense or prosecution? Either way - sounds good to me.

Being a substitute clerk for the judge.

The judge asked him where he got it from, and he said from the JI's of the previous law clerk (which he did not). The judge called him on it, then reamed him.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

If you give me a job I will come to guam.
I am competent.

Are you interested in doing Child Support enforcement?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Can I wear a gun?

Don't see why not.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Send me an application. I will share it with Yojimbo, Thoras and Absentia

http://www.govguamdocs.com/doa/docs/DOA_EmploymentApplicationForm_02-10.pdf

For position of Attorney, listing #DOA148-09, posted 12/07/09.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm assuming this isn't a 2L summer job? I'm trying to convince some unemployedish 3L friends to apply.

Yeah, for 2L summer job, it'd be with the local Superior Court. PM me for details on that. Can't guarantee anything, though, I thought I had S_A_M a summer job, but it turns out the chief justice here has something against T14 schools. But on the other hand, the staff attorney owes us one for putting up with their abortion of an extern for this entire summer.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

pnumoman posted:

You're not getting it. There are no "This is how you program in Java/C++/C#/Ruby/Python/etc" classes for CS majors, unless it's a 101 intro to the major class, for exactly the reasons you listed above.

HOWEVER, the mathematical underpinnings of programming and computational theory are incredibly difficult to grasp. The theory you learn will be applicable to pretty much any programming language, and it's up to you to implement the theory you learn in class to specific languages you're interested in. Therefore, most pure CS classes are highly theoretical, at least in colleges with a decent CS program.

I learned this, to my detriment, early on in my undergrad career.

"Hey, I used to dabble a bit in Basic, maybe I should take a 100-level programming class."

Class assignment one: opening and closing a function
Class assignment two: Program a functional Connect Four game

There was no instruction in between assignment one and two, you just had to figure it out. Assignment three was another equally retardedly complex step up. I figured, why the gently caress would I be taking the class if I already knew how to program, and dropped it. If only I had done the same thing with Advanced Calc.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

gvibes posted:

Why would you lie about drinking to your doctor?

Doctors get all kinds of preachy when you admit any sort of substance abuse to them, it gets annoying.

Edit: Though this may be because I go to the Seventh Day Adventist clinic, but jesus if I wanted to get bitched at I could save myself the copay and have my wife do it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Is E&J Brandy the proper brand to drink my woes away with?

Normally no, but Wisconsinites get a free pass when it comes to brandy, since they consume about 14% of the nation's supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

I would imagine that Wisconsinites consume 14% of the worlds alcohol.

They did just recently revise their DUI laws, so that there's the potential of jail time for third-time offenders.

First time is still just a violation, though.