Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Is "draught" still used for for things like "a rough draft" in the US? As opposed to a draught in a room, the draught of a ship or its beer related uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

Yes, but only in "draft" and not "draught" form. Like: "Here is a draft of that motion you wanted."

Is that what you are asking?

Yeah, just had a double-take reading Agesilaus' post. Draft is what's used in the UK as well for first drafts etc.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how bad law students are at getting hired.

Law school is great at preparing people for a life in the law profession!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Out of curiosity, for this foreclosure defense stuff, what about all the stories about the paperwork and procedures on the servicer and bank side being a total joke? Paperwork robosigned, recreated after the fact and people being told to dump forms submitted or lead customers on etc. Does that not get any play anymore, is it just held as irrelevant or has the systems and paperwork mess been exaggerated?

Munin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 24, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks EvilJimmyCarter. That's kinda what I figured.

mastershakeman posted:

In IL, the statute of limitations is apparently so long that it's not even relevant, and even if you lose the note, there's always a lost note affidavit that can be filed instead. When it comes down to it, there's going to be a record of payments, then people failing to make the payment. As to robo-signing, was it ever an actual big deal in many cases, or just something hyped up by the media? That is, resulting in the homeowners effectively getting a free house, instead of just stalling the case for a few months/years? In IL, one firm altered their client's affidavits without the client's knowledge, which resulted in losing a lot of business and having those cases stalled for a while, but that firm's still chugging along and all those cases probably wrapped up by now.

As to the loan mod side, who knows - all those stories in the press about employees being told to 'lose the application' or whatnot lead to lawsuits, but then the lawsuits never seem to lead anywhere. I suppose they're just settled?

Yeah, basically.

Last I was checking about this stuff various state attorneys and the Justice Department had lined up a deal to indemnify servicers and banks for past bad practices for a ridiculously low sum considering the damage wrought. A couple of banks who committed the most egregious breaches (or bought the banks who did) did get an additional slap on the wrist but they mostly managed to minimise the fines involved in various ways. Overall nothing really offering proper restitution to the homeowners involved. Strategic industries!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

the milk machine posted:

Here, some circuit courts have even picked out their own colors to be used as covers for pleadings. Oh, you used a red cover on a plaintiff's dispositive motion? We're rejecting your pleading because that's the color they use at the circuit court ten miles away; our rules specify mauve, can't you read dummy?

Bureaucracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

It was about every goon snowflake surveying the jobless wasteland and realizing there would be nothing to support the collective alcoholism that comes with the JD.

I was talking to someone today who's sister got a JD from the University of Washington a few years back and is now happily employed. As an event organizer in the UK.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

So what I'm getting, what I'm hearing you say, is "marijuana."

Also Old Fashioneds are delicious and awesome.

I think that the general takeaway is that somewhere out there is the cocktail for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

pays to be jewish :getin:

But how can you keep the Sabbath as a lawyer?