Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

William Munny posted:

Really like how my Civ Pro exam is limited to:
1)One double sided sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper, min. font 8pt in Times
2)FRCP
3)Whatever you can write in the margins of the FRCP and in the 6 blank pages at the back.

For a 4 hour essay exam.

He said allowing full outlines "wouldn't have mattered" and I claim bullshit because I could be studying that and have mega-legit flowcharts for everything rather than cramping my hand trying to write a bunch of policy poo poo in the margins.

Write half your notes in red ink, then write the rest of them over the top of the red ink in blue ink.

Then wear 3-D glasses to the exam and close one eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Civil. Opposing counsel filed a brief to exclude our expert testimony, examining the cited cases on wholly fraudulent grounds- as in outright lying as to what's in them and hoping the judge won't actually read the cases.

Just make sure your reply brief contains several cites to this book.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it because it means I don't have to go in to work until the afternoon.

Don't go to law school.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

SWATJester posted:

Nah, that would mean law school prepared us for something useful, which it obviously doesn't.

Law school taught me how to cheat at Railroad Tycoon. That's almost worth it.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I have been practicing family law for a year and a half, and my cases have involved

-interstate kidnapping
-mail-order brides
-child molesting
-strippers
-meth addicts
-borderline personality disorder
-mentally retarded women being raped by their ex-boyfriends
-affairs with stepkids
-bestiality

So family law is basically The Aristocrats.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Solomon Grundy posted:

Yes. The family law field self-selects for personality disorders and lack of intelligence. No offense, Echopapa. I am assuming that you have a personality disorder.

None taken. My personality disorder is that I need to eat and Legal Aid was hiring.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Here is a guy who's not getting hired.

quote:

Scumbag attorney with 5+ yrs experience is moving to southeastern Idaho from out-of-state, and seeks employment. Prior civil litig experience in business, real estate, and construction. Strong written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills. No, I’m not really a scumbag, quite the opposite, but that got your attention, didn’t it? If it did not, you must be asleep. Wake up and hire me!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

nm posted:

Law School is high school pt2. Instead of jocks, you have law review editors.

No, no, law school is junior high.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I want to be the Externship Coordinator. I will call up solo firms and say, "Hey, need a gofer?"

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

joat mon posted:

Wow. You really have to take a personal and professional risk to sign on to the 'Rebel' 'manifesto.'

You can tell by the mani-photo:

Very rebelicious. How mavericky.

I have a standing policy that I will never join an organization that has a fist in its logo.

My roller derby league has put me in charge of re-drafting their contract with their promoter (despite the fact that I'm a divorce lawyer). I'm digging frantically through my business associations outline to see if the league and the promoter accidentally became a general partnership last year.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Fashion chat:

Where do I get good-looking slacks on a Legal Aid budget?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

BigHead posted:

I think that case wins for the most inane lawsuit ever by the way.

That's not even the most inane suit in Alaska history: take some time and acquaint yourself with the work of the legendary Daniel DeNardo.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

As of today, I have reached five Bingos.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

When you put it like that, you make it sound like family law is actually interesting!

If I were watching these people on TV, it would be fascinating. Dealing with them in person, not so much fun.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

diospadre posted:

There is no such thing as foreclosure defense, nobody who is going through foreclosure can pay a lawyer to argue that there was fraud, if there is no fraud then the house is taken 100% of the time.

Attorneys doing loan modification is always a scam, there are HUD certified counselors in almost every state that can actually help (sometimes but not usually because banks are terrible), and they are free. It's not like attorneys have some special expertise in filling out HAMP applications or calling banks to be told "we're reviewing the paperwork" and getting hung up on that's worth paying for.

The exception is lawyers who do foreclosure defense for Legal Aid. They focus on delaying the foreclosure long enough for the homeowner to find someplace new to live.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

Soothing Vapors,

I suggest you cut a promo on them. Something out of the Jake Roberts canon. I'm thinking some kind of amalgamation of his face periods: "The blind leading the blind? Only a fool knows that a man has five senses. A lawyer? He has six. We always do it better in the dark. I'm going to make you beg. You're going to get down on your hands and knees. You will be the one that grovels for the money. And how appropriate... that the money you grovel for is your very own. Wallowing in the muck of avarice."

Oh, no. If you're going to cut a promo, make it Ultimate Warrior-style.

Seriously, my advice for all potential law students in this thread. Think of an area of law that you really don't want to practice, or clients you really don't want to represent. Could you live with yourself if you had to practice in that area, or represent those clients? If not, don't go to law school.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Oh, I know. I was doing fine before law school; had minimal loans and even though I wasn't making a lot, I was paying my bills and able to take pretty nice vacations if I budgeted well. I was getting somewhere, but not RICH RICH RICH. But my monthly law school loan payments are going to be well into the thousands, and it's not practical for me to go back to biotech on my B.S., because I won't be able to pay them. So basically I have to either become a lawyer or be creative enough to find a job that will allow me to pay back my loans.

Are you willing to move to another state? One that has a higher bar passage rate and better economic growth prospects than California?

(Alaska is calling.)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

Looking for thoughts on a topic about VIDEO GAME LAW. Everything is fair game.

Apply nuisance law to virtual property. Go!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

SWATJester posted:

No because you implicitly authorized them to build such a face when you invited them to participate in a game that arguably is specifically designed for making giant lava vomiting faces.

See, but in Second Life (which nobody actually cares about except for scholars) you would've been paying money for that spot of land, so your neighbor's giant lava vomiting face would be reducing the value of your investment!

(please credit me if you end up writing this paper, I can be on law review vicariously)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Anyone else ever had a divorce where you were 100% sure that the opposing party was going to murder your client? Because this is driving me insane(r).

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

This is for my brothers and sisters in the family law world.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11847614/family-law

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

MaximumBob posted:

This is the wonder of being a government attorney. I've got a job working as a lawyer AND I don't normally work weekends! Huzzah!

We've got you beat at Legal Aid - thanks to Congress, I'm going to start getting even more days off!

Unpaid.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

The last time I made a client cry was when I told her that it would not be a good use of her time to send an ambulance over to her ex's house to have the paramedics ensure that his child safety seat was correctly installed.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

BigHead posted:

What if your attitude is "I got mine but I'm still so poor that I'm unable to help you, and therefore gently caress off with your begging?"

Then you probably work for Legal Aid.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

The county in which I live is now hiring victim witness coordinators. They get paid $2k a year less than I do.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Dear Goon Bar Counsel,

If an opposing party in a divorce case has posted a video to Youtube featuring him dropping his child on his head, am I morally obligated to do my best to make this video go viral?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

Are you referring to your moral obligation as a human being or as a lawyer? All I remember from legal ethics is that these are usually diametrically opposite.

Basically I want this guy to be humiliated without me losing my license.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Okay, I figure if I just post this and don't say who it is, I should be fine. Enjoy reckless parenting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IUiFjsyAk

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I can't really trust my own judgment as to what's a big deal any more. I gotta stop doing family law.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I'm $60k in debt, all government, because I went to a cheap law school. And then I got a job at Legal Aid. I will not be repaying this debt any time soon.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

The Dagda posted:

Doesn't this get forgiven in 10 years since you're doing public interest work?

Assuming 1. our totally broke federal government doesn't take that away from me, and 2. seven more years of family law don't drive me to self-immolation.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Another dramatization of the family law trenches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFf5NPfj4Wk

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

:staredog:

I just saw this.

Look, let me put it this way. I've been at my current office for three weeks. I've only seen other peoples' family law cases.

ALL OF THAT WAS TRUE. EVEN THE DOG BREEDING. ESPECIALLY THE DOG BREEDING GUY WILLING TO PAY IN DOGS.

I have a theory that every moron has a plan whereby he will make money by becoming a landlord, starting a restaurant, or breeding dogs.

Here's the female-client equivalent, which I made about a year ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKqbB8bJIM

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I have found the charts in this thread to be very helpful when preparing my Career Day presentation.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I went to trial over a moose head. A goddamned moose head.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

"You can do these two
Things." "There's nothing I can do?"
Legal help hotline

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

Was the notice given correctly? That's usually the first thing I'd look at if given a hopeless eviction case. Most landlords I ran up against couldn't give a conforming notice if their life depended on it.

Option #2 is to dig through every possible definition of "handicapped" to get a Fair Housing Act accommodation to buy a few more days.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

J Miracle posted:

Man that crazy Alaska dude's pro se complaint had the ballsiest foot note I ever did see.

See Dred Scott v Sanford, 60 US 393 (1857), a case which has never been explicitly overruled.

The ballsiest footnote I ever saw also came from Alaska, in a district court case. The attorney said that the creativity of his opponent's motion threatened to overwhelm its lack of merit, and then gave the cite:

See, generally, Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit (1st ed. 2005)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I'm writing a note for my journal (Science and Technology Law Review) and I have no idea what to write about. If you suggest me a topic, I will put you in the acknowledgments!!!

Whether nuisance law applies to virtually-owned property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

I'm in the same boat as Roger_Mudd, and all I know is the bankruptcy side of it. So you might end up doing a lot of settlement work with NY law and that's it. But the bankruptcy can be kinda wonky, and many legal aid places won't touch it because of various liabilities.

If your Legal Aid program is LSC-funded (like ours is) you won't be able to do any bankruptcy work at all.

Our foreclosure practice consists almost entirely of attempting to negotiate cash-for-keys deals, or requesting Fair Housing Act accommodations for disabled clients.