Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
From reading this, I think that the old practice of training to be a lawyer by reading law is due for a comeback. Instead of going to law school and getting tons of debt while learning little that would be of use, you go and study as an apprentice in a practical environment, learning exactly what the job entails and seeing what your life will be like down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Green Crayons posted:

Upcoming class of 2013 has a FB group, with various discussion topics.

Gunners already spotted.

I bet that half the gunners are carefully editing their posts in the belief that the Senate will go over them with a fine tooth comb 30 years from now after their inevitable SCOTUS nomination.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

how is he going to sue the asa and the judge?

He'll end up trying to sue them personally. I know that doesn't make sense, but defendants like that do a whole host of things that don't make sense. At least you guys aren't dealing with people like the guy who argued that his whole trial was illegitimate because his name was spelled in capital letters on court documents, in a capital murder case.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Why would you want to study US law abroad? I don't think many firms would bother with getting H1-B visas for foreigners. Maybe they'll outsource legal consultation to India and hire just enough local lawyers to make court appearances.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I think our new law school should offer a specialization in Internet Law. That ought to get a lot of the 0Ls to register.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

Moreover, stop consenting to searches when you know you have drugs in the car. What did you think was going to happen after you said yes? I have yet to hear of a cop say "well, I had a hunch you had contraband in the car but since you gave me permission to search you obviously must be an upstanding individual who is only high on civic responsibility."

Yeah, sometimes I watch some of those crime shows where they show detectives investigating crimes, and almost every time the suspect voluntarily submits to police questioning. The vast majority of the time the cops don't have near enough to even get an arrest warrant on the guy, but criminals are stupid enough to actually voluntarily go to a police station and talk to trained interrogators to try to 'prove' their innocence. They don't even need to be Mirandized since they aren't in police custody.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

TyChan posted:

Wikipedia, the source of all things indisputably true, says that the CoS has exclusive agreements with various counsel. I guess it's pretty much all in-house.

I suppose a firm like Latham and Watkins could be used from time to time depending on the nature of the case.

I found an old Scientology legal threat letter and it turns out that they used a firm called "Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel, and Burns" as their Florida counsel in 2008.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Mr Gentleman posted:

as in local counsel or what? I would like to be local counsel in E.D. Texas etc etc

All I know is that Scientology got the license plate off of someone attending the 'Anonymous' protests and they got sent a letter saying, in effect "Someone at this household may be affiliated with the terrorist group known as 'Anonymous' and we're letting you know" on that firm's letterhead. A large branch of Scientology is located in Clearwater, FL, so they may just use them for that reason.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Defenestration posted:

Should US courts be allowed to consider intergalactic law when deciding domestic cases?
Star Trek cited by Texas Supreme Court

A TX Supreme Court clerkship sounds like something you'd have to be a pretty hardcore gunner to get, I'm surprised one of them has a sense of humor. Then again, I remember someone citing Wikipedia in a Federal District Court opinion on an issue of fact, and they didn't even use the 'Permanent link' feature, instead just citing the live page.

Edit: The case citing Wikipedia is at https://www.ailf.org/lac/chdocs/Buck-Order.pdf with the Wikipedia cite on page 2. I found the case itself while looking up something on immigration, it's pretty much the court saying "No, redneck county employee in Bumfuck, PA, you can't deny someone a marriage license just because they can't prove their immigration status."

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 26, 2010

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
So my local law school (University of Nebraska) is low T2, costs less than $14,000 a year for in state students, and claims an employment rate of 88% with a median salary of $52,000. Are they inflating their numbers or is Nebraska a mythical paradise where graduates can actually get a job that allows them to repay their loans in a timely manner?

Edit: I have no intention of going to law school, I'm just curious since their claims don't seem to match up with what is posted in this thread.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 30, 2010

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

So, the OCI interviewer at my school for Foley & Lardner asked everyone if they knew what "The Trees" was about.

The answer he was looking for was Quebecois secessionism.

I don't see how that could be right, the maple is obviously a symbol of Canada, but in the song the oak is the establishment while the maple is the oppressed group.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Cortina posted:

I have to go to municipal court today to handle a ticket for one of our major clients. Unfortunately, he got it in one of the many pissant bedroom communities around here, and even though the ticket is wrong on its face (they told him it was for one violation, they filled it out for another completely irrelevant one), I have the strong feeling I am going to get hometowned big time by the kangaroo court. Oh well. I guess the experience is good. I'm under orders to appeal it to county court if it goes against us.

They may drop the charges once they find up they're up against an actual lawyer. Traffic court prosecutors aren't used to that, they probably haven't prepared for it, and they don't want to get embarrassed in front of the judge, especially if the facts are on your side.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Petey posted:

The best way to save for college might be to not, depending on how much you make and where you plan to send your kids.

Unless you can pay the whole way out of pocket when they're that age you might as well just bank on whatever financial aid they get and then IBR the rest of the way.

With the rate that tuition costs are going up, saving for college is a pointless endeavor. Unless you expose yourself to a huge amount of risk, anything you save will be eaten up by tuition hikes. With the financial situation state governments are in I don't see this changing anytime soon. If you want to invest in your kids' education, you'd get much more bang for the buck doing it while they are still kids. Use that money for private school tuition if the public school in your area sucks, spend it on enriching extracurricular activities they are interested in, or simply walk away from some money to spend more time with them.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

SWATJester posted:

Don't be a pussy. Be a diplomat. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :911:

Out of curiosity, did anything you write end up on Wikileaks?

Edit: To make this more topical, if a third party were to gain unauthorized access to privileged information and leak it via Wikileaks, would it be admissible at trial?

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 1, 2011

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

nm posted:

I know a federal district court judge who turned down a 9th circuit gig. He's a good guy, and I believe him when he says he enjoys the trial work, but I can't imagine this isn't a factor.

I think part of it may be sitting in limbo for years because some Republican put a secret hold on your nomination. Plus, you have to deal with Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the ranking member of the Judiciary committee. He was nominated for a federal judgeship once and didn't get past the committee because he said some very racist things, so now he thinks that anyone to his left shouldn't be a federal judge either.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I'd think twice, many non-legal people are afraid of hiring lawyers because they think they will get sued at the drop of a hat.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Got to love how they market nationally, but graduates are only able to take the bar in one state. I wonder how many people don't read the fine print until it's too late.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Abandon All Hope posted:

I apologize and will remove my posts, evil, if you think this is something that's best left off of the forums. Again, I was just hoping for a shove in the right direction at the very least.

NORML has two lawyers on their recommended lawyers list in your area:

quote:

Spiros P. Cocoves
Phone: 419-241-5506
Fax: 419-242-3442
scocoves@gmail.com
610 Adams St.
2nd Floor
Toledo, 43604-1423

Richard L. Roberts, Sr.
Phone: (419) 244-4777
Fax: (419) 321-1991
krabbydick@gmail.com
1700 Canton Avenue Suite 2
Toledo, 43604

In other news, a lawyer is using "krabbydick@gmail.com" as their business E-mail address. Surely a brilliant decision that will inspire confidence in potential clients and opposing counsel.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

I know you were probably being sarcastic, but I know people like this. I would say that most don't have law degrees; the guy who had my (non-legal) job before I came to Baghdad penned a significant piece of legislation during his assignment here.

And he was making far in excess of $80k.

Part of that is there was a lot of patronage for jobs like that during the Bush era. If you had the right connections and you could show that you held the right political views, your actual qualifications were unimportant. I figure if you wanted a job like that in the middle east or north Africa, the most important qualification would be a familiarity with Sharia law. Even if Sharia isn't the primary legal code, you can bet anything that contradicts it too blatantly would be rejected by the populace.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

mrtoodles posted:

What will your job consist of working at a title insurance place?
A shitload of due diligence. Scouring through county records, reading surveyors' reports, etc. They want to make as reasonably sure as possible that there are NOT any problems with the title before they write the policy. And this needs to be done quickly and efficiently. You're not digging deep, you're looking for red flags the other folks missed. On occasion, you might be called upon to give an opinion regarding the likelihood that a prescriptive easement exists.

Also, it may be your job to deal with the colossal errors made by mortgage companies during the boom years. A mortgage may have been sold, resold, securitized, had that security mixed in with other securities and chopped up, had the company that owned the security bought out, and maybe repeat that for two or three separate mortgages on the property. Given that the 'legal formalities' weren't always followed in each of those steps, and add in the whole situation with MERS, and you have one absolutely epic gently caress up. This has the potential to blow up the entire title insurance industry, even now many title insurance companies are simply not insuring foreclosed properties, or are putting in massive exclusions to cover their asses.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Nebraska went from the T2/T3 border to being solidly in T2, but I doubt that matters much on the no jobs/die alone scale. We really need to get away from the idea that every flagship state university and prestigious private school needs to offer a J.D. There are about 280 students entering the two law schools in Nebraska every year, and the state sure as hell doesn't need that many new lawyers.

Edit: The two law schools are University of Nebraska-Lincoln (T2) and Creighton (T3, based in Omaha) both of which have about 140 students entering.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 15, 2011

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Adar posted:

NY firms and foreign LLMs have a love hate relationship. Mostly hate.

NY is one of the few (last I heard, the number was 19) states that will let you practice law with an LLM but without an American JD. Most of the states around it do not, and except for Cali NY is also the most prominent of the 19. So almost every immigrant in the area and many outside it wind up getting LLMs here as their way into practice. This thread hates LLM degrees because LLM candidates don't get jobs, but that was only true of US citizens; LLMs were a legitimate path to BIGLAW for overseas attorneys depending on class rank and prior career.

I say 'were' because AFAIK the recession killed that, so now those people's options are to find a $40K a year non-profit willing to sponsor their green card or go home; those with existing legal status have the exciting option to open a solo shop and join the ten million other lawyers in the tri-state area, but cannot leave the state because even 5 year reciprocity mostly doesn't apply for LLMs that aren't otherwise eligible in that state. No jobs, die somewhere else.

I figure someone licensed to practice law in both Canada and the US would be in high demand, is it easier for a US trained lawyer to get admitted in Canada than it is for a Canadian trained lawyer to get admitted in the US?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
From the Supreme Court argument for J.D.B. v. North Carolina, which is about if you have to give the Miranda warning to a juvenile questioned by police at school. Mr. Feigin is arguing on behalf of the United States.

quote:

JUSTICE SCALIA: We don't want Miranda warnings to be given where they are unnecessary because they are only necessary to prevent coercion, and where there's no coercion, we want confessions, don't we? And warnings deter confessions.
MR. FEIGIN: That's right, Your Honor.
JUSTICE SCALIA: Isn't that the basic reason?
MR. FEIGIN: That's right, Your Honor,
JUSTICE SCALIA: So it's not cost-free to require Miranda warnings.
MR. FEIGIN: That's right
JUSTICE SCALIA: It's a good thing to have the bad guys confess that they're bad guys, right?
MR. FEIGIN: That's right, Your Honor, I was trying to say earlier.

Got to love Scalia just openly saying that he wants confessions from 'the bad guys'. I wondering who he is referring to when he says 'we'?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Omerta posted:

I'd like to think so, we've got some smart cookies here. Speaking of, do you think it would be a good idea for me to transfer? 1/2 scholarship (maybe increasing next year), top 1% at Emory, and I really want to clerk and practice in the Deep South. Just started thinking about it because transfer apps comes out this month. If I stayed here, I would graduate with about 50k in debt (assuming I get a firm job 2L summer, I put none of it towards loans, and I don't get a bigger scholarship). Thoughts?

Wouldn't hurt to put in transfer apps at Virginia or Duke. If nothing else, Emory may give you a better scholarship to keep you, although transferring may be a better long-term move even with the extra debt.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I seriously still don't understand how you can lose EVERYTHING on the Forex market. I mean, presumably you'd still have something in some other form of currency, right? It mystifies me. Did he buy Zimbabwean currency or something?

You can get massive amounts of leverage on Forex, 100-1 is not uncommon and can easily wipe out your account if you don't know what you are doing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

BigHead posted:

Judges can sua sponte dismiss a suit for being nonsensical (this is what happens people sue Satan). Eventually, someone will do this. But a judge can't dismiss a suit after he gets added to the defendants, so whoever gets the file will have to dismiss it before he or she gets added. And this guy is pretty quick on the draw. It's like a game of schizophrenic cat and mouse.

I remember a while back a state legislator sued God for various natural disasters. It got dismissed because it was impossible to show the defendant was properly served, over the objection of the plaintiff who made the obvious argument that since God was omniscient and omnipresent, he had knowledge of the lawsuit and could be served anywhere.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

nm posted:

This being almost the opposite of what you should do. (You may not want the lawyer who says, "we're going to lose" but the one who forsees the issues).
I really wish there was a better way to rate lawyers for consumers, but I'm not even sure how that would work.

Tell me about it, my brother went through five attorneys for his felony in federal court until he found one that would represent him at trial rather than plea bargain. He was either innocent or very sure he would be acquitted, but he was found guilty and the sentence was two years longer than what they wanted before trial. Maybe he just didn't want to admit that he did it to his family, but even then he could plead no contest.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I have to wonder, at about what point does the average law student realize that they have no chance of practicing international panda rights law and start down the road to despair and alcoholism?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

Nah man, she was just rubbing her arms against the table to collect all the complimentary wood.

Also did you also find it kind of amazing just how many people there were crammed into one gargantuan room? I sat up near the front and the first time I got up and turned around and saw just how many people (literally thousands I assume) there were in the gigantic convention room, quietly scribbling away, despite the room being almost totally silent, I was a little shocked.

The scary part is that many of people will be competing with you for jobs, assuming they haven't already taken the few jobs that were out there.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
If the shrinking of the middle class is a long-term thing, then the government will be stuck with a huge bill once IBR loans become eligible for forgiveness. The general assumption seems to be that most IBR recipients will eventually get to the level of income where they can repay their loans after economic conditions improve, but I seriously doubt this is the case.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Petey posted:

You know I've always thought law school applications were a racket in and of themselves - the economy which exists around applying to schools, paying for the LSAT, studying for it, etc.

But a kid I know who graduated from MIT and applied to med schools tallied up all the costs (not just the studying and application fees, but traveling for mandatory med school interviews as well), and just the costs of applying to med schools exceeded $4500

http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=20576

:stare:

He applied to 23 different schools, is that normal? From glancing over the blog, it seemed like he was really interested in the NYC area, yet he was applying to a whole bunch of schools all over the country.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Plus, don't most firms have an 'up or out' policy, where you are automatically fired if you don't get promoted within a certain amount of time?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
You should read the income tax thread. In the very first post, it says:

quote:

If you are married, you can not file single. Your choices are Married Filing Joint (MFJ) or Married Filing Separate (MFS) Please note that the MFS does not stand for Married Filing Single! Nearly every time one benefits by filing joint with their spouse. In fact, if you are trying to compare the two and find that MFS is even slightly more advantageous than MFJ, I can almost guarantee that you are overlooking something.

To be honest, if you are worried about the tax implications of marriage I'd suggest speaking to a tax professional about it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
It would be easy for states to limit the number of new bar licenses granted. Having a bunch of unemployed attorneys isn't good for anyone, especially other attorneys. Enforcing a cap would send a clear message, plus it would be easy to compare to law school class sizes.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I wonder how many of the 5 hours Thomas will end up sleeping through. Also, my bet is that the main opinion will be Per Curiam and incomprehensible, with no judge taking the "credit" for trying to explain what the majority's opinion actually is.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Is DP that common in CA? I thought that outside of Texas, the total caseload for that kind of work was something like a few dozen cases throughout the whole rest of the country, and they got extremely well qualified lawyers to do it pro bono or through well-funded nonprofits.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Tiax Rules All posted:

My friend is very interested in prison reform, and wants to get a joint MSW/JD. The JD isn't necessarily to practice law, but more because it will help people "take her seriously."

Obviously, this is a stupid loving idea. I've had trouble getting through to her about it though. Can anyone else help me articulate why this is such a stupid loving idea?

Social work and law are two entirely different fields. Ask her to find specific job postings for jobs she is aiming to get, and see how many of them require both an MSW and a JD. If it isn't mentioned in the posting, I doubt the JD will give her an 'edge' to get those jobs. It may even hurt due to 'overqualification' and because it might give the appearance of her giving legal advice to clients when she isn't their lawyer. If she knows anyone in the specific field she is aiming to enter, she should ask them about how a JD is perceived in their workplace.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

nm posted:

I suspect there's more than 1, really. And you probably don't want to talk to them, that would be creepy.
Would you want to be approached by some guy from the internet?

Just you wait. You've posted where you work, sooner or later one of your clients will ask "Do you have stairs in your house?" That, or they will post an incredibly incriminating e/n thread on the forums without telling you about it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
The only problem I have is that "entrepreneurial" is often a code word for "There are no jobs, so start a small business that is almost certain to fail due to the same market conditions that caused the shortage of jobs in the first place." Seriously, "I can't find a job" is probably the worst reason ever to start your own company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

Virginia abolished parole in 1995, and it's actually pretty neat. Instead of getting a sentence of like 25 years which really meant 5, they reduce sentencing guidelines down to the average time actually served and abolished parole. So what used to be a 10 year sentence is now a 2 year sentence, but it cannot be reduced further for behavior/parole. But that also means that life is literally life. At first it seemed like a terrible idea, but after working itself out the leniency is now meted out by the sentencing judge rather than some dumb parole board. And there's clarity and certainty with sentencing that is a relief to victims.

More states should do this. In addition to these benefits, a lot of the time parole comes with conditions that are nearly impossible for parolees to meet, so they get sent back to jail anyway.