Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Finding solid Canadian employment numbers is basically impossible. The best you'll usually find are surveys run by each school's CSO, but even then you'll get like a 40% no-reply rate.

However, while looking, I stumbled on these guys, who are something of a suicide hotline for lawyers. Come check out uplifting newsletters like "Life After Divorce" or "Living with Chronic Pain".

edit: Hey Sib, sucks about the rejection from Osgoode. If it makes you feel better, they just moved to a holistic system and the admission chances have become completely random. Also the school sucks right now because the entire building is locked down and under construction. Even our library was packed away into boxes, though some materials were moved onto stacks in the basement of a nursing building :v:

edit 2: Hireback numbers for Toronto are coming out and...goddamn. FMC only hired 7/14, with 3 of them clerking next year anyway. Cassels got 10/17. BLG did 17 of 25 (29 total students - 4 dropped out). And apparently Blakes is offering short-term contracts to students instead of hiring them. (note to American readers: these are some of our major firms)

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

J Miracle posted:

I would do it and I would kiss that judge's rear end, I mean like baking cookies and cleaning the bathroom and poo poo. I would study the books she has in the house and read them so I could have conversations with her about them, subliminating all of my own opinions and agreeing with everything she said like a pathetic toady

More likely it'll all end up like Man of Fire.

On the plus side you'd be dead.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

soj89 posted:

This is a bit horrifying. I'm applying for articles this summer. I heard that most firms haven't changed their hiring for articles yet but do you think the smaller and mid-size firms will cut back? Not getting a 2L OCI is a bitch. It pretty much locks you out of the big boys on Bay Street.

Any tips you have on articles in Toronto would be helpful!

Yeah, I have no idea about articling tips since I'm entering the process too.

The problem with the smaller/midsize firms is that they mostly take their summer student as the articling student, rarely hiring extras. I can't see that changing in this economy.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

stingray1381 posted:

Also, if you quit an $80K a year job to go to law school while taking out $70K in debt a year, you're an idiot. At least go part-time and keep your job.

Friend of mine had $80k saved up from construction at 22 before going back to school to get a degree, now he's pushing 30 and still working construction in the summers and can't afford a downpayment for a house and lives with his parents now.

Nobody should go to law school.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Schitzo posted:

It's not just the smaller firms. FMC Edmonton kept on all five of its summer students and only hired one additional person during the articling week interviews.

Yeah, good point.

If any Canadians are interested in the Toronto numbers this year, these guys keep an accurate tally. Last years were miserable as well, but unfortunately there's no data for earlier articling numbers.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Local news had a segment today about how teachers are pretending to be Catholic to score jobs in the Catholic school board. I wonder if they'll ever do a bit on sucking dick for jobs in Barrow.

They won't because to the average person becoming a lawyer is still a honeypot and no amount of blowjob for summary buttfuck stories will convince them otherwise

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TheBestDeception posted:

Got a grade back already for a test I took a week ago, thus proving profs are capable of making deadlines. Maybe I should have clicked "candidate for graduation this semester" every semester, might have sped up stuff before.

Your profs don't have to submit their grades to the Party Truth and Justice Committee (or whatever the gently caress the admins call themselves) to investigate the grade distribution? That's what keeps all of our grades back - they don't start checking until every prof submits their poo poo.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

soj89 posted:

You guys must have some really nutso civpro exams. Ours was 50 multiple choice 10 true false and a 5 mark short answer. What's the American one like?

What school are you at anyway?

Our civpro was something like 30 short answers. Point-form acceptable. A fuckin' +

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

fougera posted:

So write on sucks. I know its way early but would it be a bad idea to not do whatever crappy journal I get placed with and do an SEC internship instead? None of the journals are relevant to the practice area I'm working in this summer/hope to work in the future.

Do the SEC internship and we can be regulatory buddies :respek:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Tetrix posted:

I have a stack of class papers/notes that is at least a foot high and also a legislation and regulation book that is getting a new edition and so the bookstore wouldn't buy it back. Is there any reason to keep any this stuff? I am moving in a week. All I could think of is if I had to challenge a grade, but I don't know what good this stuff would really do.

Have you seen Drag Me to Hell? The only way to break the curse is to gift the accursed object on someone else. You doom their soul to hell but save yourself.

I suggest the admissions staff that let you into school in the first place.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

Too right; proper workloads, good co-workers, and no client/partner needling you to generate money or get the work done in a certain manner you disagree with, at a time that is overly pressing. I guess PDs like to call their defendants clients, though, so maybe they still get odd or intolerable demands made of them. Softball is played, too, and there are day trips to the stadium to see professionals play some bastardised form of rounders.

My favorite part of the public service is how tax dollars are kept tied up in politicians' pet projects while the prosecutorial services are chronically under-staffed; combine that with habitual sloth, years' worth of entrenched apathy and a total lack of professional accountability in the prosecutor himself, and the first time an inmate's file reaches the prosecutor is when they take their places before the judge.

But who cares about justice when the lazy public servant's life owns.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I'm meeting the Communist Party of China tomorrow. Would it be bad form to beg for a job? I'm willing to run a WoW/Eve gold-farming operation if they'll let me.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

entris posted:

Why would you have to beg for a job? I thought communism was all about giving everyone what they need? You need a job, ergo...

Indeed.

It was a pretty cool shindig. They must've partied hard last night because one of them just put on his stunna shades and went to sleep right at the beginning.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Incredulous Red posted:

I had a dream about having an admiralty law case last night. I think it may have been a portent

Tell us more :allears:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Sony is battling some class-actions about their firmware updates that you could try and get in on too, but that's probably going to be sent to a real firm.

I'm applying for articles to a firm handling the plaintiffs up here, if I get in and get handed that file oh man :circlefap:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Seconding the above. Speaking as a fat goon who likes wearing suits, undershirts are probably the most critical part of the dress package.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah it was a pretty enlightening experience, to see how terrible some actual lawyers really are. It made me think "hey, I could do that"

I mean, it turns out nobody* will hire me to do it so I guess I can't, but still

*nobody in the continental US anyway...the guam drums beat harder every day...

Seriously, why haven't you applied there yet?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Can't find a job? Maybe it's time to take your search on the road.

The U.S. trucking industry will need to hire about 200,000 drivers by the end of this year, and will need to add another 200,000 by the end of 2011, according to the state of logistics report from the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/09/news/economy/truck_driver_shortage/index.htm?hpt=T2

I'd rather be a truck-driving lawyer who goes from truck stop to truck stop offering cheap legal advice while hauling goods.

And arm wrestling. :bustem:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

I smell a Lost replacement on ABC called "The rules of the road".

That's an amazing title. Make the main character a single parent who has to occasionally bring his 8-year old son/daughter along when the ex-wife is busy (with hilarious results), tie in something about the economic crisis forcing lawyers to work as truckers (and arm-wrestlers) and I smell a Thursday-night hit.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 9, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Top-Sylvester-Stallone/dp/B0007TKNKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276106132&sr=8-1

Sylvester Stallone as an arm-wrestling truck driver trying to win the love of his estranged son after his mother dies.

Yes that's where I stole most of the idea from :colbert:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

The only time I've ever seen or heard of that movie was in Macau. And it was in Russian. No human being would ever actually watch this movie willingly, hence my incredulity :colbert:

I've watched it at least 6 times. It was one of the first English-language movies I ever saw and it was a wonderful piece of 80s cheese :colbert:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

diospadre posted:

You'd have to take a lot of bar exams.

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Cali. He rides to them from Mexico. One or two episodes can be a Breaking Bad crossover.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

BigHead posted:

'Cause, you know, I'm a lawyer in small town Alaska.

This reminds me.

A friend of mine is moving up to some town in Buttfuck, Ontario (pop: ~1000). I checked the local business directory and there isn't a single lawyer or firm listed. There are two "major" towns about 100km away (total pops ~200k).

If I move up there shortly after graduation [and articling I guess] and hang up my own shingle, is it most likely that I will:
a) Starve to death as the cities aren't so far away that locals will choose to see me instead;
b) Starve to death because the locals won't trust some big city human being;
c) Screw up some obscure farm/Indian reserve/easement case and get sued into nothingness;
d) Enjoy a life of quiet relaxation as the estates and divorce and real estate cases pour in just fast enough that I can work until noon and then go sailing the rest of the day.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
It actually sounds like you have a pretty good opportunity to break out of the legal world into NGOs (both located in the US and abroad), if you still want to work in the same broad field but want new experiences. I know there are countless NGOs in Africa working with kids, particularly child soldiers, and you could probably lend a huge helping hand in developing their local practices.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

I'd probably watch an episode or two, so long as the show doesn't get broken up by ads every five minutes or so. Television is an inferior form of entertainment, though, and your subject matter really isn't that great. Perhaps change the story so it's an unemployed lawyer in ancient Greece, and he can make a living being a sycophant or something.

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher.
Dole Office Clerk: What?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a *bullshit* artist!
Comicus: *Grumble*...
Dole Office Clerk: Did you bullshit last week?
Comicus: No.
Dole Office Clerk: Did you *try* to bullshit last week?
Comicus: Yes!

quote:

I poor my heart out to you guys and don't even get a single reply?

That's it, I'm turning this car around.

gently caress I wanted to add to the pilot but got stuck with work. I liked it, though.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TyChan posted:

That sounds like a lot of trouble just for the protagonist to find out that the partners, facing lower revenues from government-related work due to budget cuts mandated by the economic downturn, were faced with the choice of firing their 1st and 2nd favorite associates versus their 3rd and 4th favorites associates and he lost out.

A profoundly unsatisfying conclusion to the plotline would be a pretty meta troll of the viewers imo

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TyChan posted:

Depending on how cheap it is to live there and the economic circumstances of the town, I suspect a less luxurious version of option d is more likely to happen. At some point, though, the work would really dry up because after a year or two, you've probably provided as many legal services as 1000 people could possibly want without actively sabotaging their personal and economic lives.

Keep in mind that a lot of people probably could use a lawyer on many things, but out of habit or monetary concerns choose not to have one. There's that problem to deal with too.

Forgot to reply to this - thanks.

It's a typical backwater Ontario town, meaning there's a small permanent population and an ebb + flow of cottagers, fishermen, hikers, etc. Potentially the transients cause occasional legal problems too, in case the local populace is bled dry as far as legal services are concerned.

So moving out there isn't a great idea, but if I can't find any work here after being licensed...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I like to think I'm more prepared to commit securities fraud after a few classes in that field.

Getting away with various felonies might be slightly easier if you can gerrymander some key procedural issues to go your way too.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

You could of course be a government civil attorney, or some sort of regulator, but let's be honest: if you want to get into a high class profession, then don't aim for the arse end of it. Therefore, criminal law; plus you do the most good there anyway, given the higher issues involved.

While I mostly agree with what you're saying, the regulator keeping vile corporate interests restrained, or one defending the majesty of our planet's natural resources is in a far more noble position than the prosecutor satiating the rabble's thirst for blood and vengeance.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

Yet, prosecutors don't satiate the rabble's thirst any more than regulators do. Also, I think your misusing the word rabble/people; Prosecutors are the People, so they're quashing injustice in line with their own desire. They aren't some sort of soulless tool that acts to satiate a third-party's thirst.

Anyway, I'm glad you mostly agree with me, and getting in at the arse-end is still good. However, regulators just seem a little inferior in terms of their rank and power. I don't see regulators walking around the criminal courts, affording judges the opportunity to execute businessmen or incarcerate executives. I haven't seen regulators wield the same sort of moral authority, either; no judging the moral fibre of individuals, and recommending them for rehabilitation and what not.

Basically, if you pollute a lake, the regulator is going to fine you. How nice. Get that under the criminal code, though, and we can try the matter with oaken clubs, and have the chairman jailed for contempt of court when he surrenders.

Any decent regulatory statute affords the regulator the ability to refer the matter to the criminal courts anyway :colbert:

Oaken clubs do sound like a fabulous perk, though.

TACOCHAT

Toronto-area goons check out Burrito Boyz, which has two locations in the area. The food is awesome, the staff are in various stages of the prison system, and authentic Mexi-rap plays non-stop (or, in darker times, reggaeton).

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Oh my god, everyone I asked agreed to write letters for me for my articling applications. Maybe everything will be alright in the end :unsmith:

Also on a whim I signed up for a volunteer project during the school year where I'll have to represent someone in an appeal hearing regarding the fallout from med-mal cases and whether the physician should keep his license or not. That's about all the detail I have for now - have any of y'all done anything similar? How is it?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Durry posted:

So I'm probably dropping out of law school. (Grades are trickling in, I'll be lucky to finish in the top third.) But before I do I want to troll OCI as hard as I can, without being too obvious. I have nothing to lose, I'll only be interviewing with local firms and don't plan to stay in St Louis much longer.

Any suggestions?

* Ask what their policy on cocaine is
* Bring a hip flask and use it liberally
* Ask what they're doing about the "juice" problem
* Wear a full suit + tie but with a standard form Che Guevara shirt in lieu of a dress shirt
* Have a friend beat the poo poo out of your face. When they ask what happened, get defensive about it (if you're a girl this would be even better). If you punch a wall a bit to get some bloody knuckles you could make some Fight Club-like thing out of it.
* Get a BlackBerry, have a friend keep calling/texting you (this would be meta as gently caress)
* Intentionally call firm A "firm B", B "C", etc.
* Pretend you're deaf and they somehow didn't get the message about your disability. Learn some basic sign language first.

Anyway that's some really basic stuff. Are you sure you want to pay an extra semester's tuition just to troll people?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
You could of course ask the worst question ever.

"What is your favourite anime."

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I Am Not Clever posted:

I had no idea about any of this doom and gloom. If what you're saying is true, it sounds like the legal profession is in very bad shape in this country. :(

That said, I think I'm still going to go if I have the chance. I have an uncle who is an attorney with his own successful small firm. I wasn't planning on going to him and asking for help, but I can, if I have to. He's probably going to retire in a few years.

Seems like a better prospect than going back to work at Walmart. :(

Just chimin' in to say that I know exactly one person in Oregon IRL and he recently got let go from the firm that he was an associate at.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

quote:

I don't want to sound crazy here, but talk to your uncle before you go to school.

Just want to reinforce that he means talking to your uncle regarding having a job guaranteed once you're out of school. Don't talk to him about actual advice because old people are from a completely different generation of legal education that has nothing in common with today's.

"Oh yeah I graduated from Valpo and hung up my own shingle and LOOK AT ME NOW!! and do you know what you call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class? your lawyer haw haw haw haw"

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Just enrolled in Law & Literature. 3L is going to own. I'm going to write a paper about representations of the law and its institutions in the space opera.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
gently caress. Basically the only firm in the area that does admiralty is hiring an articling student. How can I spin my criminal/regulatory experience and course load in a way that won't get me laughed out of there? It doesn't help that my school offers next to no classes in that field.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Solomon Grundy posted:

Take a picture of yourself looking like this and clip it to your resume:

That way, they will know that you look like an admiralty lawyer.

I would unironically do this if lawyers weren't gossipy fucks and I never wanted to work in this city again and if ATL didn't exist for my shame to find its way into the internet.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Maybe I'll mention my experience in a certain goon "fleet".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Incredulous Red posted:

can you get me in sick of carebearing

I haven't played since the Remedial days but just do what Adar said.

quote:

Back when I was a director, I threatened to report another lawyer director to the bar for hiring a real-life hacker to hack another corp's forums.

Did he hire weev? Because that would be hilariously ironic.