Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CaptainScraps posted:

They've posted preliminary firms interviewing for OCI. For 3Ls, there are 26. Firms that are not IP nor requiring top quarter?

One firm is requiring you have a clerkship lined up before you start work.

hahahahaha I'm just going to kill myself and get it the gently caress over with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this since ElieKash didn't make a new post, only edited the old post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrQSdSSbDQ&feature=player_embedded

dude's got pictures of the founding fathers and law books, he ain't fuckin around

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 31, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

10-8 posted:

I've adopted a new mantra towards 0Ls, and it's been working out great: let them do what they want and then enjoy their sweet, delicate tears when they fail miserably a few years later.
:glomp:

There's really no stopping them, so we may as well lean back and jerk off while they set themselves on fire. At least that way someone's having fun while they burn.

edit: I'm going to start a gimmick account whose sole purpose is to claim to be a recent TTT graduate working successfuly in BigLaw to fan the fires of their hope. Their delicious hope.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 17, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Practicing for a few years is not insulation. Insulation is having five-to-ten years left to retire and hoping to ride out this long-term poo poo storm because you already have almost enough cash saved up to make it out alive.
SlyFrog posts are literally the best posts

Xane posted:

I was reading through the last law school thread and saw remedial got brought up. If you were one of the people who got their money stolen you can sit back and lol now(without faxing photos of his dick to his law office).

http://www.nhbar.org/publications/display-news-issue.asp?id=5597

Looks like his other partners have done some interesting stuff to!

http://www.nhbar.org/publications/display-news-issue.asp?id=5137

Lesson is, don't go to a T3-T4!

hahaha wonder how many titans he could have bought with that 60 million

burn in hell remedial you fat little-dicked piece of poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

hey remedial I seen yo dick

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

The real kicker in all of this is Remedial is a fervent libertarian which is ironic on several levels. Oh, and other goonfleet directors were the only people at his wedding.
oh god I did not know this, thank you for this gift

amishsexpot posted:

I am definitely still considering a doctorate in Psychology (PsyD) but loving 5 years of school and even more tuition than I'd pay for law school (= even more student debt) scare the poo poo out of me.

Whoever posted that Fashion Law link for Fordham... that is actually pretty exciting for me as someone who loves fashion and is somewhat interested in intellectual property. v:shobon:v
Fashion law is a booming field right now. Fashion is counter-cyclical (everyone always needs to look nice!), so specializing in it at the illustrious Fordham College of Laws is probably a smart move. Good luck!

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 24, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

HooKars posted:

Fashion law isn't something to get excited about because it's really just a conglomeration of basic law that exists in a variety of industries.
Ugh. So much negativity. Amishsexpot, you shouldn't put too much stock in what all the bitter failures in this thread keep harping on about. HooKars here went to some no=name state school the hillbilly south; Linguica and I go to a football school in the middle of a cornfield in a state shaped like a goddamn mitten; HiddenReplaced attends school in what is essentially an open sewer; 10-8 hosed up so bad they made him take an extra year of law school. All of us made bad choices and have paid for our mistakes. We didn't work hard enough in law school, we're unemployed, and we're bitter.

I mean, think about it: why would the prestigious Fordham Academy of Legal (in New York, the fashion capital of the western hemisphere no less!) lie to you about their fashion program? It just doesn't make sense. Follow your dreams.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 25, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

thread needs more dargonchat: I listened to weddingstory.mp3 in its entirety on my ipod today at work and I'm feeling better about my life than I have in months.

on the downside, partners keep walking past my office and I think they think I'm insane, but they weren't going to hire me anyway so whatever

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 25, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

doomsayers take note: things are looking up, there are opportunities out there in international law after all (but only if you're at a prestigious school, sorry fordhamites)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lucificate posted:

I wanna reiterate to not go to law school.

Its tough man, there are no good answers.

Basically, start your own office or shoot for some low paying public legal job.

I started own place with brother, but we were on track to only net 60k for the year. Not much to divide between two people.

I left him with it and took a low paying trial court staff attorney job for the benefits (just had a baby) and some regular income . Make 43k/year. 60k in debt from school. Drive my mom's old van. Loan repayment on deferment. Cant afford anything. No prospects other than I am well known and liked in the area and have good relationships with the judges. This job helps with that a lot since I basically advise them of what to do. Still don't think I can run a successful law office. Too many established lawyers around doing crim defense.

My mom cried when I told her what the job I was taking earns. She makes 55k without a college degree at a bank and feels terrible about getting enthusiastic about law school and how rough things are because of it. It was such a big neat deal for the family when I got into UF law - no one in my family is a professional or has much success or money and they thought this would lead to that. We were all so loving stupid.

I feel like law school was the worst decision of my life. Unless you have a rich family with an established family law firm for you to step into I'd really not consider going.
every 0L is going to read this and think it magically does not apply to them

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

deathdrive83 posted:

Angry pro se prisoners write the best briefs, especially when they are long and hand-written.
I'm working on a family case right now where the pro se prisoner daddy has filed a massive ream of motions, pleadings, objections, and basically anything else he can envision that will annoy all involved.

They are all surprisingly literate and well-written, despite his childlike handwriting. I wonder if prisoners have templates they just copy, or what.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

quote:

1 I do not entirely understand Justice Stevens’ renaming of the Due Process Clause. What we call it, of course, does not change what the Clause says, but shorthand should not obscure what it says. Accepting for argument’s sake the shift in emphasis—from avoiding certain deprivations without that “process” which is “due,” to avoiding the deprivations themselves—the Clause applies not just to deprivations of “liberty,” but also to deprivations of “life” and even “property.”

8 Justice Stevens also asserts that his approach is “more faithful to this Nation’s constitutional history” and to “the values and commitments of the American people, as they stand today,” post, at 54. But what he asserts to be the proof of this is that his approach aligns (no surprise) with those cases he approves (and dubs “canonical,” ibid.). Cases he disfavors are discarded as “hardly bind[ing]” “excesses,” post, at 12, or less “enduring,” post, at 17, n. 16. Not proven. Moreover, whatever relevance Justice Stevens ascribes to current “values and commitments of the American people” (and that is unclear, see post, at 48–49, n. 47), it is hard to see how it shows fidelity to them that he disapproves a different subset of old cases than the Court does.

Justice Stevens ’ approach, on the other hand, deprives the people of that power, since whatever the Constitution and laws may say, the list of protected rights will be whatever courts wish it to be. After all, he notes, the people have been wrong before, post , at 55, and courts may conclude they are wrong in the future. Justice Stevens abhors a system in which “majorities or powerful interest groups always get their way,” post , at 56, but replaces it with a system in which unelected and life-tenured judges always get their way. That such usurpation is effected unabashedly, see post , at 53—with “the judge’s cards … laid on the table,” ibid. —makes it even worse. In a vibrant democracy, usurpation should have to be accomplished in the dark. It is Justice Stevens’ approach, not the Court’s, that puts democracy in peril.

there are 14 pages of this poo poo

Scalia is going to have so much free time on his hands next term

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Blah is a full-service law firm seeking a legal intern to work 20-25 hours per week starting this summer and possibly extending into the school year. Blah is seeking help with litigation discovery on a project basis. The duties will include, but are not limited to, document management, keeping client calendars, filing pleadings, contacting courts to schedule hearings, etc. Qualified applicants must be proactive and dependable. Moreover, the successful candidate must be industrious and detail-oriented. The selected candidate must also take responsibility for new projects. Mastery of the discovery process is preferred but not required. The hourly rate is $10.

Interested candidates should submit a resume and letter of intent as soon as possible to:

The need is immediate.

Yep, minimum wage is 7.25 an hour.
I literally made twice that as wait staff hahahaha

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

poofactory posted:

High class or highest class?

http://www.claytonlawoffices.net/

somebody gonna get sued

edit: "if you are a perspective client" ahahaha

e2: ahaha he calls her a bimbo on one line and insists he's not a bigot on another, this kid is my favourite person ever

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong.

so many perspective problems

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

edit: never mind, I don't really care

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 11, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

methamphetamine posted:

I'll probably take some flak for this but I feel like getting into Harvard makes me entitled to say this to all the incoming 1Ls: STUDY IN THE SUMMER BEFORE LAW SCHOOL RIGHT NOW.
I feel like getting into Harvard makes me entitled to say this to all the incoming 1Ls: buy a handgun now, before you're broke and penniless, so you can either rob liquor stores or put yourself out of your misery after law school

it'll be much harder to get ahold of one when you're already homeless

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

nsfw version

the picture in the top left kills me every time

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

methamphetamine posted:

I love how so many people is this thread think it's nerdy and lame to work hard and get good grades but then whine 24/7 about no jobs.
:allears:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't give a poo poo about anyone's opinion if you were still playing with GI Joes when Tupac got killt

space marines are ok
nobody still played with GI Joes in 1996 you goddamn dinosaur

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

just wanted to take a minute and commend those two Emory 0Ls in this thread on their well-researched choice

quote:

What do [Emory Career Services] do to help? Nothing. Then becomes even clearer when you look to our past two OCI cycles:

Spring 2010:
* 4 Total Jobs
– 1 Military
– 1 Public Interest
– 1 Job in Georgia (yes, the entire state)
– 1 Job in Alabama

Fall 2010:
* 1 Total Job (not a misprint)

So let’s assume we have 8 full-time employees in career services. For Spring 2010, each employee brought ½ job to OCI. This Fall, they brought 1/8 a job a piece.

i hope you have to fight each other in a murder pit with sharpened sticks for that 1 job

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

billion dollar bitch posted:

How many significant figures should a GPA contain?

there's a kid at my firm who has his GPA on his resume to 4 significant digits, I crack up every time I read it

like, he thinks some managing partner at some firm is going reject him for his 3.97, but hire him on the spot for his 3.9743

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 16, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Shouldn't you be able to calculate your GPA from that? I don't see the point of that system

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

~my girlfriend~ told me today she's thinking about law school

I started laughing and could not stop until the tears came

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

entris posted:

I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana, seeing as how it is still illegal.

I think we can make colorable legal arguments for the repeal of many of the "absurd" older laws - eiither right to privacy or some other conlaw argument for invalidation.

I don't think we can make a reasonable argument for the repeal of intellectual property law so that piracy suddenly becomes ok. There's a big difference between legal absolutism and saying that it's wrong to steal other people's property- which is exactly what piracy is, despite young peoples' strange inchoate objections to the contrary.
you and phil mousekewitz are really repping the "crazy old man" vibe hard in the past few pages

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I was reading through megathread 7 because I have nothing to do at work and this poo poo is hilarious. it's from before the economy cratered and all the current 2Ls-3Ls-recent grads were so full of hope and promise. This is probably my favourite post in the whole thread, though:

CaptainScraps posted:

Good god, with all these Harvard and T14 kids, this thread is going to be terrifying in five two years with all the names and dollar signs being thrown around.
:lol:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

can we please stop using the term T14? it perpetuates the myth that MVPDCNG are real schools and not hobo training academies

T6 or bust, tia

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I leave town for one day and miss the return of Izzy.

hey izzy: friendly reminder that I got a 175 on the lsat, dwarfing your pitiful weak-brained plebe trash 174 :smugdog:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

also, I medicate my depression with bourbon, not cymbalta, you puss :smugbert:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

congrats man! where are you studying/headed?

(in point of fact, once we are in these upper-registers of the 99th percentile, we can all share a laugh over a drink (or ten), by my estimation!)
um, upper register of the 99th percentile? a 174 is only 99.5th, sorry. I only associate with 99.7th percentile or better

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

likewise!

now, where did you say that you were studying again? you have moxie, and that can't be learned! i'd love to chat with you over a drink (or ten) - bourbon, naturally!
emptyquotin dis because you think Jack Daniels is real bourbon :smugdog:

e: not enough :smugdog:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

TyChan posted:

Anyone actually thinking that firms would be reasonable about taking the economy into consideration when looking at a job applicant needs to get a reality check. Legal recruiters are too overburdened or underqualified to make individualized judgments about whether someone is actually up to snuff, so they go back to the traditional markers about what makes a successful candidate. It sucks, but that's how it works.
Another thing that's worth keeping in mind that might come as a shock: lots of working lawyers have absolutely no idea how bad the market is for applicants right now. They have a vague sense that times is tough, but have only the most rudimentary understanding of what that means. People at my firm frequently expressed at lunches that despite the economy being in the shitter, they were sure Michigan was still a free meal ticket!!!!! :downs: When I told lawyers at my firm how many of my classmates either 1.) don't have jobs 2.) have awful RA jobs, or C.) are working for the East Rapesville, FL Public Defender's Office because they couldn't get anything better, people were either shocked or disbelieving.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

J Miracle posted:

2 firms that I had 2L OCI's with are returning for 3L OCIs. Both firms I feel like I came really close--one firm I had TWO callbacks and then they ended up not having a summer associate program that year at all, and the other firm I had a callback plus an invite to a fancy dinner with single malt scotch and lobster (OK it was a state bar business law section annual meeting but there WAS Scotch and lobster). The second firm also, to my knowledge, only hired diversity candidates for their summer associate program. Am I wrong to be kind of excited about this? I mean they had to like me somewhat, didn't they? On the other hand, the fact that I didn't have an SA position this summer can't exactly be a mark in my favor, can it?

So many questions...
3L OCI is a goddamn myth, regardless of circumstance

I didn't bother signing up this year, I'd rather spend those hours planning a unique and exciting suicide

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

When the ship sinks, they throw the cargo over first to save the crew. (not [sic] to be a dick or anything [sic])

no [sic] man if you use it you're totally gangsta [sic]

stop [sic] going and see how long it takes for them to stop paying you. :v:

What a stupid interview. I wouldn't work for that company anyways; they seem like dicks [sic]

yeah [sic], since apparently people don't interpret it in the limited way the case was actually decided.

But anyways, DONE WITH 1L YEAR so i'm [sic] gonna [sic] play [sic] mah [sic] computer for about ten hours.

I dunno - [sic] it could be that she's just not a dick.
I got bored after the first half page of your posts

also, if you're going to be the type of twat that uses it, [sic] should be italicized, you goddamn law school piece of poo poo <3

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 6, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

JudicialRestraints posted:

Counterpoint - I tend to get my used textbooks from people who highlight like they have an extra chromosome. Not every textbook was previously owned by the half blood prince.
I actually guffawed out loud at this and my dog is lookin at me like I'm a rere

Tetrix posted:

There must be some 0L book that says "highlight facts in orange, holding in purple etc." I seem to see that.

Yeah, I think it's Law School Confidential or Planet Law School or one of those that contains the crazy 4-colour highlighting system that every 1L adheres to for, like, the first three weeks

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Alaemon posted:

It's interesting you folks can just say "pass" and be done.

We received one "unprepared" per term and you had to communicate it to the professor before class began (usually in writing). If the professor called on you and you weren't ready to discuss the case and you hadn't submitted your unprepared, they could report you for an honor code violation.

seriously? Cooley sounds like a loving concentration camp

Enigma89 posted:

I am checking in for the new thread. I am finally starting my senior year of university and will be taking the LSAT in October. My first attempt at home I got a 141, so I am going to buckle down and study hard. I am shooting for USC, UCLA, LLS, USD.
You'll get in everywhere you apply!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

guess who has two thumbs, speaks limited french, and has a postgrad job

this moi :mmmhmm:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

haters goan hate

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

chez hippopotamus looks p. sweet, I would totally work there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

School starts tomorrow. Under 9 months left and one small test and I'm a lawyer!

Night school was cool because I could work but 4 years of law school is hell.
I envy you people starting already so much. Michigan isn't starting until the 8th, and as a result we have exams up until like 2 days before christmas. I hate our administration.