Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I wish I didn't find this thread, I'm not sure how I'm going to pay attention in class now.

At least it's only 3L year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

entris posted:

What school? Are you going to work at McDonald's or Walmart after graduation?

I'm at NYU and lucky enough to have a post-graduation job offer. I'm a transfer student, did my first year at FSU before coming up to New York.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MoFauxHawk posted:

Whoa you're like a mirror Prussian Advisor (UF to Columbia).

Nice. Both of the Florida schools seem to do fairly well with transfers, in my transfer class there were 2 from UF and 2 from FSU.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 25, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

sigmachiev posted:

Also welcome NYU transfer homie, I too made the great success journey to more debt.

I wish I knew there was a law school megathread back when I was making the decision and going through the transition, it probably would have helped a ton. I'm really happy with the way things worked out though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

evilweasel posted:

You'll never see law firms run like corporations because they are virtually entirely human capital, but it is a problem that lawyers are terrible businessmen and they really should stop kidding themselves and hire real businessmen at a fixed salary or something else legal to run and organize firms.

There are a couple of firms that are trying to address that. At least two firms, that I know of, are making new first year associates do a one month compacted MBA program that was designed by the Harvard Business school. I don't think it is even close to enough, they need actual businessmen.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 31, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

I don't think that's really an attempt to address the problems Mr. Weasel highlighted. That's just the firm trying to ensure their associates know how to make power points and read basic balance statements.

The problems we are discussing here are more endemic to the legal profession. You could actually send partners to HBS to get MBAs and I doubt it would have any real impact on the way most of them manage their business. What will happen, eventually, is some major firm, or possibly an upstart, will innovate in a way that translates to greater profit through improving business practices. Following that, the others will see that as a path to more money, and they will take it.

I know at least one was aiming for both, or at least had ideas in that direction, which is stupid because it's woefully inadequate.

I hope there is some innovation dealing with the billable hour soon.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 31, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

sigmachiev posted:

In exactly the same boat. But I'm a 3L and if ever there's a time to dedicating yourself to a game...

I was supposed to work on my paper this weekend so I can graduate but I ended up playing Skyrim for a ridiculous amount of hours.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

the #1 thing I got out of this article is that I would rather drink Drano than work at Drinker Biddle

Four months at reduced salary, that blows.

My firm does intensive 2 month training, first month is the crash-mba and the second month is your standard firm training but across all departments of the firm. After that you sink or swim. We're not doing any billing because every hour is spent studying basically, but we're also not getting reduced salary.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

entris posted:

After working in Biglaw for a few months, I find myself wishing I had made it here while single without kids, because it is really hard to commit as much time as I want to my job when I know my wife and son are at home. I wish I had got this job right out of law school, in 07, and worked hard for two or thee years, then met and married my wife. I would have gotten to the same place I am at today, but my career would be in much better place.

Every time I read posts like this I'm struck again by the realization of what I'm getting myself into. It doesn't feel great.

Except I don't have a wife and kids, and my firm has a 24/7 law library so they are basically asking me to work constantly.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Red Bean Juice posted:

Wow, awesome. I missed Skyrim on there the first time looking at it, so I got to laugh twice.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

STAT1C_X posted:

Goddrat some of you are some gloomy, hateful people.

Of course we are. Everyone here is either a lawyer or a law student. This should tell you something.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 1, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Erdricks posted:

Chevron, next.

It's this, for real.

I'm trying to remember my admin exam and it was something like:

Q1: A SCOTUS opinion we had not seen, we had to write a mini law review article critiquing it. I mentioned Chevron a lot.

Q2: An issue involving deference to agencies and statutory interpretation. We had to write a majority opinion and either a concurrence or dissent. I mentioned Chevron a lot.

Just look at the professor's past exams and see what kind of questions he asks, then pack Chevron into your answers as much as possible.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

WaveLength posted:

poo poo, I'm kinda considering studying law after undergrad. Someone help before it's too late!

Don't?

Seriously just read the OP. No jobs, die alone, miserable people, etc.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Chewbacca Defense posted:

Some poor 2L girl freaked out during a test this morning, started crying, and bolted out of the room. One of the geriatric proctors gathered her laptop and belongings and brought them out of the room. No one taking the test, including yours truly, missed a keystroke. It was like seeing a homeless person in New York City.

How does this happen as a 2L? You would think if she was going to break down like that it would be during 1L exams.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Patent Law and Federal Courts finals on back to back days blows rear end. My 3L scheduling is terrible.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 14, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

fougera posted:

As a 3L I thought it was about time I P/F a class. Problem is the class is ridiculously hard. I seriously hope it's true that no one fails a class in law school.

What class? I'm doing Corporate Finance P/F which was an excellent decision.

You won't fail by the way.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

sigmachiev posted:

I have a p good Fed Courts outline if you're desperate, beat the curve here anyway with it.

Thanks very much for the offer, but I did write my own.

Red Bean Juice posted:

if it helps, here's my Fed Courts case map (fairly basic due to time constraints) (also may be wrong in some places)

Thank you as well. It seems like you actually learned some substantive stuff in your class, mine was basically story hour about the ridiculous number of cases that the professor had argued in front of the Supreme Court. He did have some great stories though like Justice Douglas nailing a handwritten order to a tree.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 14, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I somehow got a really good grade on my Patent Law exam despite essentially failing to answer the final question which was worth 25%. Law school grades make no sense.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Lilosh posted:

I still don't get grades for another week. :argh:

That's the only one I have so far, and I was really surprised it was up. We usually don't get grades for quite a while like HiddenReplaced said.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

happy new years, play tor on jung ma with me and pruss and warszawa (res jedicata)

Oh god I'm considering doing this, I had been thinking of trying that game out. Someone stop me.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 1, 2012

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

prussian advisor posted:

Yes, Imperial side on Jung Ma. You can have characters on both sides on the same server, though.

I'm pretty sure this is happening when I get back home where I have a pc.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Welp, I'm addicted to TOR going into this last semester. At least I only have to pass.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Don't sign up for things since you won't be giving a poo poo in 3L and you'll probably hate everyone.

Not sure how this is different from 1L or 2L really. At least for me.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Maybe my school is a little different, but our extracurricular activities can give you a lot of practical and networking experiences that you wouldn't get otherwise. It's good for the resume and employers love to talk about them. It's also helpful for those of us who don't do very well academically.

To be fair, I did love the social aspect of law school in 1L and 2L. Then something happened the summer after 2L...

I was mostly making a joke regarding "you'll probably hate everyone." I did all that stupid extracurricular poo poo in 1L and 2L.

FSU was definitely social, it was basically one year-long party.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Narfbombs posted:

What are people's thoughts on transferring after 1L. Provided I do similarly this coming semester, I'll be at/near the top of my class at a T2 and I think I have a shot at transferring to a t14, but I'm not really sure it's worth giving up the scholarship and attention I have been getting from the school.

Are the prospects of being just another member of the class at some of these better schools an advantage over being at the top at a lower?

GreenCrayons' post really nailed it.

I decided to transfer basically weighing those same factors and it worked out well, I could not have gotten my job and location coming from FSU, where I was for 1L year. Also, if you are near the top of a lower school you can absolutely do well at a top school, especially when you are coming in as a 2L and nobody is doing any work anymore.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 8, 2012

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MoFauxHawk posted:

And OCI firms at the new law school might not know what to make of you, and how to compare you to your classmates, considering that you'll have no grades at your new school.

I didn't find this to be too much of a problem with my transfer class, almost all of us did very well in OCI and were treated fairly by interviewers. I only remember one firm acting weird about me being a transfer.

Also, sigmachiev's point about 1L friends is really important. I still talk to all my 1L friends, and visit them often. One of the good things about transferring to NYU is that they require Admin Law in your first year, which almost no other school does. Because of that they have a specific transfer Admin Law class in your first semester you get here, so it was like being in a 1L section with your fellow transfer students which really helped in coming together as a group and being more social.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Older lady depositions are just the worst. She won't stop crying about everything.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ask her about her history of drug abuse.

Her attorney kept using it as a chance to grandstand on the record. The first time she cried we tried to go off the record so she could go to the bathroom and compose herself, but he goes "No! I want this on the record so they can see how my client is emotionally distraught and crying."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

entris posted:

My workload + my family obligations = very little personal down time. So, to accelerate the relaxation process, I have a drink or two, so that my thirty minutes of free time every night is actually relaxing.

I have so much work to do, when I jerk off in the shower I make sure to think about a client matter so that I can bill that time.

This makes me nervous. But I guess I knew what I was getting into.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Agesilaus posted:

It's pretty shocking just how inefficient the private firm model is

For some reason I thought this was going to lead to different models such as a contractor-type bidding system, where a firm would basically submit bids on a legal project and then would have to become more efficient in order to generate profits.

I know a couple of big companies tried to start doing that, but I'm sure they met a ton of resistance.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Instead, I'm in NYC, and nothing I've had out here can really compare. :sigh: Anybody have a lead on a good burrito out here?

Was just about to ask the same thing. I haven't had a good burrito since I moved here, but now I must have one.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

IrritationX posted:

Dos Toros, corner of Fourth and 13th.

^^ Like The Dagda says. The Union Square one is the only one I'm familiar with.

Perfect, not too far away. I'll have to check that out soon. Thank you.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 24, 2012

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm taking it too. On St. Patrick's Day. During Spring Break. gently caress me.

Yep. I have to figure out how to get to Queen's College or something. Just a terrible decision all around.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Queen's College? Jesus, never thought I'd be so happy to go to the Javits Center.

Yeah it's pretty much bullshit. Their whole system for picking where you are going to take it is really terrible. All for a two hour test that you couldn't fail if you tried.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I passed the MPRE despite my best attempt not to. Seriously, the don't show up drunk advice is all you need.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

William Munny posted:

Anyone happen to have outlines for Trademarks and Securities Regulation? Last semester/3L year has completely sucked any effort towards creating my own out of me.

I have a Trademarks outline you can have. No idea how good it is though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Same. Didn't even do a practice test, just the 4 hour barbri lecture. What a bullshit test, and an unpleasant experience. Not looking forward to going back to the Javits Center for the bar, what a mess.

Everyone I talked to that took it at the Javits Center said it was just horribly run, no organization at all. They got back later from there than I did taking it out at Queen's College.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure I got my job because of music. Partner interviewing me had a guitar in his office so I brought up music and we started talking about instruments we played, favorite classical pieces, places to see music in the city, etc. Worked out pretty well. Interviews are strange.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Oh my god this New York practice barbri lecturer is killing me. I can't believe there are three hours left in this class.

Yeah this is the absolute worst by far. I have no computer with me either so it's twice as bad as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

This means you're probably posting this by phone, which really says something about how bored you are.

Yes, and yes.