Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Slung Blade posted:

My grass was 4 feet tall in the ditch in front of my house this weekend.

I got rid of it with a lot of lifting of the lawnmower and a bit with the trimmer, but it took two hours.

Anyone ever used a chainsaw on grass? Because I am seriously considering something like that for future considerations.

Your best bet is to knock it down to a manageable level with a weedeater/brushcutter then give it a couple passes with the mower. I do a fair bit of brush clearing and I just use .095 Echo line on a Stihl FS250 with handlebars. Might be a bit overkill if that's all you're using it for (they go for $300-400 use in my experience) but it's really torquey and clears an 8' wide path if you have a harness and just work it side to side. If it's real bad you could use a brush hog, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

DELETED posted:

Your best bet is to knock it down to a manageable level with a weedeater/brushcutter then give it a couple passes with the mower. I do a fair bit of brush clearing and I just use .095 Echo line on a Stihl FS250 with handlebars. Might be a bit overkill if that's all you're using it for (they go for $300-400 use in my experience) but it's really torquey and clears an 8' wide path if you have a harness and just work it side to side. If it's real bad you could use a brush hog, too.

Where's pipkin and his buzzsaw of death brush trimmer when you need him?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A power scythe is what you want for cutting large areas of tall, thick grass. Perfectly safe for you (you're walking behind it), but watch out for other people's ankles. They'll go through brambles, vines, small trees and the like too.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
^^^ If you wanted to, you could get a FS 90 or 110 (I think the 130 has too much power, even though it's physically compatible), and put on a 12" power scythe head. As an added bonus, reciprocating cutters give no gently caress how tall the stuff you're cutting is, since they only cut it once. If you're swinging a string, it'll chop up the debris a bit as it falls, and eat up some power.

DELETED posted:

The FS 250 is perfect for mowing lots of tall grass, but overkill in almost every situation. Huge horsepower, all up high since its a true two cycle. If you want to remove the safety shield and swing a long length of line, the 250 can handle it with aplomb. 300-400 is more the FS 90 - 130 price range though. The FS 250 is $530.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 6, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have an ancient Sachs Dolmar 50cc trimmer that has a harness and all that jazz. I did just lose the square head lefthanded bolt for the line spool, though. I suppose I should just get a new head for it, the present one is quite worn and is Italian (Arnetoli Motoro).

Anyone have a suggestion for a new head? This thing is used for thick grass and brush-work. I have a blade for it, but the string-head either being fixed or replaced would make my life easier.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
You're going to have to search or possibly fabricate something to mount a new head. I'd start with Husqvarna, they sell a head that fits any modern trimmer. Their spools are semi disposable, though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Skyssx posted:

^^^ If you wanted to, you could get a FS 90 or 110 (I think the 130 has too much power, even though it's physically compatible), and put on a 12" power scythe head. As an added bonus, reciprocating cutters give no gently caress how tall the stuff you're cutting is, since they only cut it once. If you're swinging a string, it'll chop up the debris a bit as it falls, and eat up some power.

The FS 250 is perfect for mowing lots of tall grass, but overkill in almost every situation. Huge horsepower, all up high since its a true two cycle. If you want to remove the safety shield and swing a long length of line, the 250 can handle it with aplomb. 300-400 is more the FS 90 - 130 price range though. The FS 250 is $530.

I was swinging an FS450 at work on the weekend with close to 1.5 foot of line hanging out each side of the head... (the guard fell off...shhhh!)

That thing is a BEAST of a scrub cutter!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well I've temporarily solved my tractor dilemma. My wife's cousin called me last week and asked if I wanted an older simplicity mower that they used to mow their paintball fields. Apparently it runs and cuts well, but last time they had it out it broke a belt (grass was probably to high). Can't say no to free! If anything else, it's a step up from the ride-on that I have now (if for no other reason than the brakes work on the Simplicity)

It's a 4211H (hydrostatic) which is a 11hp briggs. Should be perfect for my yard, hopefully it'll last me a few years before I can afford a real machine. Saw a posting on craigslist from a small mower repair guy selling the same model for almost $475, so I'm quite pleased (even if his prices are a smidge inflated).

I didn't get it yet, I'm not sure what the holdup is but they were going to deliver it. He said they had another tractor as well (craftsman) that they were going to scrap even though it ran well, just needed bearings of some sort (I'm guessing for the mower deck or maybe wheel bearings), but I'm not looking to start a junky mower collection in my shed (but still tempted).

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The work with the long grass is already done, I was just curious.

And I did use a trimmer/weedwacker for part of it, but I couldn't find my bottle of 2 stroke oil (just moved and it vanished) so I couldn't run it all day.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

dreesemonkey posted:

It's a 4211H (hydrostatic) which is a 11hp briggs. Should be perfect for my yard, hopefully it'll last me a few years before I can afford a real machine. Saw a posting on craigslist from a small mower repair guy selling the same model for almost $475, so I'm quite pleased (even if his prices are a smidge inflated).

I didn't get it yet, I'm not sure what the holdup is but they were going to deliver it. He said they had another tractor as well (craftsman) that they were going to scrap even though it ran well, just needed bearings of some sort (I'm guessing for the mower deck or maybe wheel bearings), but I'm not looking to start a junky mower collection in my shed (but still tempted).

Simplicities are horrible for parts, at least around here. $475 sounds about right. If it's a Craftsman i'd bet it was made by AYP. And if it was made by AYP the spindle housings are made of glass. They're about $70 each complete with new spindles and bearings. I know Stens makes a complete replacement, but I can't remember the part number.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Skyssx posted:

Simplicities are horrible for parts, at least around here. $475 sounds about right. If it's a Craftsman i'd bet it was made by AYP. And if it was made by AYP the spindle housings are made of glass. They're about $70 each complete with new spindles and bearings. I know Stens makes a complete replacement, but I can't remember the part number.

Well if it dies at least it only cost me $20 for a belt, hell I can probably sell it broken for $75 and make a profit. There is a simplicity dealer about 2 miles from my house so if I need anything hopefully I'll be covered.

It's too bad I don't have the cash because there is John Deere 318 on our CL for sale right now for $1800. There was a really sweet ingersoll for $2500 a few weeks back, too.

Right now we're not getting poo poo for rain so I don't need to bother mowing at this point anyway ;)

Jaxx
Apr 20, 2005
8v not 16v
Can anyone help ID this chap?

4cyc diesel, 3 speed box, most likely from the UK, has three little steeples and STERMET printed on the block but otherwise no makers marks other than some numbers on the crankcase and gearbox. All it's data plates are missing and I think its been working on the airbase since after the war, it has been there since the oldest person still alive remembers.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
That's a Nuffield!

See:
http://www.thenuffieldandleylandtractorclub.com/
http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint66.htm
http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint70.htm
http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint78.htm

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Looks more like a Ferguson 35 to me.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

its a Ferguson 35. Ive got one with the same 4cyl diesel out in the paddock.

its a Bitch to start when cold, but goes all day on gently caress all diesel.

Probably an FE35. Mines an FE-35 deluxe, because ive got the dual plate clutch (Half push the clutch in, wheel drive stops, but PTO keeps spinning, Fully push the clutch in, Everything stops)

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Oh christ, not sure how I missed that one, I just googled that stermet logo and came up with a bunch of nuffield stuff. Hell, we went and looked at a 35 were we going to buy not that long ago.

Jaxx
Apr 20, 2005
8v not 16v
Ah well done, I think its the later UK built MF35 then looking at the placement of the fuel filter.

We've ordered some new glow plugs to see if we can get it to start without half a can of Easy-Start each time, but now I read they are hard to start anyway, so will have to see how new plugs do and then work from there.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Dingo Diggers are a VERY poor cousin to a real skid steer....

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

The remote controlled one seems pretty cool though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bit of a gimmick tho... the remotes not bad, its the machine its attatched to thats the letdown.

I tried to back fill a trench last night with one, and it cant back blade! too light, too little traction, and too twitchy!

Im a bit spoilt tho, work bought a Vermeer TX600 skid steer instead of a dingo last year.

Awesome bit of kit- 35HP diesel, decent hydraulics, Crawler tracks, Decent length and weight and its like a bloody tank- It just keeps going!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Went to a "Veteran boat show" a few days ago and they had some sweet stuff, besides the boat there were a bunch of old tractors there that I thought you might like.

First the veterans:

And off they go, the purple boat won.

This guy didn't get to race though.

Close-up of the engine.

Now, lets spam some tractor pics

Bollinder-Munktell tractor, the company was later bought by Volvo and turned into Volvo Construction Equipment.

Another BM

An old Bolinders "raw oil engine", used to power logging equipment and such (I think)

The sign reads:
"Bolinders raw oil engine
Type W7
2-cylinder 2-stroke engine
Power: 50hp at 800 rpm
Fuel: Raw oil (Diesel)"
Followed by some stuff about who owns it and other versions of it.

This was its cooling unit, water is pumped to the top and then it runs down the mesh down to the bucket and then into the engine again.

Some old tools used to work on it I guess.

Lets get back to the tractors.

There were some of Ferguson tractors there as well.

This was pretty AI imo

Old-school Volvo truck :sweden:

Bonus caddy and bike

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
^^
It might be me, but I am fasinated with old boat motors, and well, all older engines in general. Does any one here have any hit'n miss engines that they tinker with on here?

Also, I did manage to fire up an old chain saw after siting for 5 years in an old barn at my parents. Pictures will follow!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I take great pride in being the only person able to fire up a Stihl strimmer my mum has from the 80's or so. It's smelly, rusty, shaky and fills the garden with a plume of blue smoke in about 20 seconds of use, and I love it. When we first pulled it out of the shed the poor bastard thing even ran on what looked like the original plug.

It's old, abused and it turned out dad hadn't been running it on pre-mix for a while before it was dumped in the shed, but it still goes like a champ. So does our petrol lawnmower. I don't have anything else to add but I love engines that can just run and run even with so much neglect.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Went to a "Veteran boat show" a few days ago and they had some sweet stuff, besides the boat there were a bunch of old tractors there that I thought you might like.

Great pictures. However... If you wanna link to images, upload some small copies, versus just [timg]-ing them. You're giving us small images and costing you the full bandwidth.. and our full bandwidth.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

If you hover over the images there a button in the top left corner allowing you to expand the image, I thought that would be preferred over linking the images as is. Next time I'll export them in a smaller size and just post them directly :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I admit it, when I get mini me's running around my house, this will have to be built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZiBGai7fqs

You would be the coolest kid on the block. Period.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
So far, go-carts coming past my desk for repair have all been owned by twats, except one. At this point, I assume every cart owner is going to come back two or three times claiming "you worked on it, it's broke, it's your fault" before screaming "I'M NEVER COMING HERE AGAIN!" It doesn't help that every cart manufacturer seems to take the stance of 'we've got the money, what do you mean customer service?' with regards to warranties. Also, if more than 24 hours elapses between the cart being dropped off, and the work being done, it's unacceptable. If you don't have parts, unacceptable. If parts are NLA, HOLY loving poo poo UNACCEPTABLE!

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Figured this was a good place to ask since y'all are pretty smart and capable when it comes to this stuff.

My dad has a 1994 Simplicity riding lawnmower, model# 1692160 12.5hp 5-gear with a B&S engine, model# 2897087, type# 0113-01, code# 9404114D. Turn the key, the engine turns over, it's getting gas, but no spark. All the wiring connections are fine, new battery, but it just won't spark. Initially we were thinking circuit breaker or solenoid but now we're thinking it's the magneto. I just wanted to ask you guys and see if that makes sense.

I don't have a voltmeter.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Shitty_Wok posted:

Figured this was a good place to ask since y'all are pretty smart and capable when it comes to this stuff.

My dad has a 1994 Simplicity riding lawnmower, model# 1692160 12.5hp 5-gear with a B&S engine, model# 2897087, type# 0113-01, code# 9404114D. Turn the key, the engine turns over, it's getting gas, but no spark. All the wiring connections are fine, new battery, but it just won't spark. Initially we were thinking circuit breaker or solenoid but now we're thinking it's the magneto. I just wanted to ask you guys and see if that makes sense.

I don't have a voltmeter.

Magneto. I'm assuming you rammed a screwdriver up in the sparkplug cap to check the spark, don't trust the resistor plug to have not gone open circuit on you.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

Sponge! posted:

Magneto. I'm assuming you rammed a screwdriver up in the sparkplug cap to check the spark, don't trust the resistor plug to have not gone open circuit on you.

Yep, tried that. Ok cool, thanks.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Check to see if the kill wire is functioning. It should be open or short, and change when you turn the key. Also ensure the coil has good ground.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Most of the lawn tractors I've seen have a pressure switch under the seat that kills the spark if the switch is open (IE No one is on the seat), so that would be another spot to check. If there is a switch, try jumping it to see if that helps.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ferremit posted:

we had one with the trencher attachment in my last job, was great for running in cable with minimal impact on existing grounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUFxst4K44w

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

DELETED posted:

Most of the lawn tractors I've seen have a pressure switch under the seat that kills the spark if the switch is open (IE No one is on the seat), so that would be another spot to check. If there is a switch, try jumping it to see if that helps.

If the pressure switch was bad, would the engine still turn over? Because the engine is turning over but it's just not catching.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Shitty_Wok posted:

If the pressure switch was bad, would the engine still turn over? Because the engine is turning over but it's just not catching.

Possibly, they're in place in case you flip the tractor over, so I imagine it's wired to cut power to the ignition system. You might still be able to crank it over but I'm not positive. Another possibility is low oil, a lot of newer engines have a sensor that will cut spark if the oil level is too low. With diagnostics, always start with the simple stuff first. You could check fuses, but chances are your fuses are fine if it's cranking over. If all your safety gear and killswitches are working right, then look deeper into the ignition, check your coil ground, magneto gap, etc.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

echomadman posted:

we had one with the trencher attachment in my last job, was great for running in cable with minimal impact on existing grounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUFxst4K44w

Thats what i had, but wait until you have to use the stock bucket to backfill the trench, its really a struggle.

In other news, I got a 1.5T excavator bogged today, and then nearly rolled it down a slope!

Fortunately, your never ever really "bogged" with an excavator... but now i need to spend about half a day cleaning up the massive mess i made using the bucket to haul my sorry arse out of the swamp!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ferremit posted:

Thats what i had, but wait until you have to use the stock bucket to backfill the trench, its really a struggle.

In other news, I got a 1.5T excavator bogged today, and then nearly rolled it down a slope!

Fortunately, your never ever really "bogged" with an excavator... but now i need to spend about half a day cleaning up the massive mess i made using the bucket to haul my sorry arse out of the swamp!

yeah backfilling was a pain, we modded the stock bucket with two blades that tapered in to the centre, basically you just drove back along over the trench and it pushed the fill back in, although if there was a lot of big stones it didn't work too well.
for some jobs we got the trench started and had 2 people following it on laying the cable and backfilling as we went before the fill got compacted or rained on.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ferremit posted:

That's loving awesome. I can just imagine some prehistoric-looking iron death machine clawing its way out. :black101:

I don't get a lot of chances to use my little tractor but I dug me a small trench today with my potato plow.

Drain the swamp forming in the middle of my yard.

And help out the local wildlife. (though I scared the poo poo out of a family of ducklings by accident)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shitty_Wok posted:

When I fixed one in a John Deere (hence my account name) it was cutting out ignition. The starter would crank like a motherfucker but the spark would never start going until eventually it would flood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Today was the annual show at Pioneer Acres. I was attending as one of the blacksmiths, but I was able to sneak away for a bit to snap some pictures.

The steam cases were out. Awesome machines.

There were a LOT of tractors.

Even some crazy custom jobs. More on this guy later.

Gigantically huge International dozers.

Enormous kerosene powered dinosaurs.

They even run. This was an awesome sight, using a little tractor to start a bigger one.

The smoke, the sound, the smell, it was like the loving apocalypse :black101:

A tiny and ancient 1911 General Motors tractor. I think this thing was 100% cast iron.

It had an interesting restoration history.

There was a huge and varied selection of tractor brands and years.

This one had a pretty neat steering setup.

Big lineup of Cockshutt/Oliver.

Some MH machines.

Pony with cool attachments.

Say, you look kinda familiar :razz:

I like this style of drive linkage.

Mmmm, inline 6.

Here's one of those crazy two engine JDs (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

Some cool demonstrator Farmalls.

Now, about that weird triple tractor.

Some folks in the 60s were working a huge farm and needed a shitload of power. So they made a frame, welded it up, and put three tractors into it. Instead of keeping a set of steering wheels, they put hydraulics to the front one, and use IT to steer.

The welding is a little dodgy, but it seems to have held up.

There was an interesting collection of trucks. These ones are awaiting restoration.

This one has been restored (holy gently caress has it ever).

Here's one for Trouser Chile

These are pretty cool.

Because it has chain drive.

Semi-modern.

God drat, check out the overload springs.

This thing was impressive as hell.

Check out the size of the lights.

Also it had a HUGE engine in the bed.

They were starting it up, it sounded like the gates of hell were opening up.

A neat old halftrack.

I have no idea what this is, but it is ratty as gently caress.

And it actually RUNS.

I'll be there again tomorrow, and there's more stuff in the sheds that I didn't get to. If anyone wants some details of anything specific, let me know.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 7, 2010

• Locked thread