Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

Bullets and Stuff

Bad Movie
Live Free and Die Hard, Bruce Willis hides behind a god drat refrigerator door from bullets. Who ever they had as an adviser on that movie should be asked to pick something to hide behind and let people shoot at him, this way he never shits up another movie ever.

If I remember correctly the refrigerator in that scene was an old 40's-50's ish type, if it was, it is plausible that it could have stopped bullets. Not only were older fridges made of much thicker metal than modern ones, but they were also lead lined back in the day. Not that I want to test the theory personally, just saying it might be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Kodo Zoku posted:

Anyone want to chime in on whether or not the sniping scene in The Hurt Locker was any good? IMFDB says that it's plausible that the bomb techs would have been trained with the M107 because it could be used for ordinance disposal, but would they be able to function as a spotter / shooter team so effortlessly?

Jeremy Renner's character, who functioned as spotter, had come from a Ranger Regiment (75th?) and could likely have gotten the training there. The other guy had come from some kind of intel unit, no specifics given. Either way both of them had come from a background where they could have received training with the rifle and .50 rifles are technically "anti ordnance" just like M2's are technically "anti vehicle/big whatthefuckever" machine guns, so EOD's do sometimes get training with them.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Roundboy posted:

As Dr. 'Indiana' Jones used to great advantage during his 4th adventure on the televised screen.

(*sigh*)

Please refrain from mentioning that abortion of a movie, thanks. But yeah, they went out of their way to make sure you knew there was lead in that fridge, but honestly why bother? The compression of the blast would have killed him first and then the landing would have killed him again.

GreglFaggins fucked around with this message at May 19, 2010 around 18:43

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Tigerland

In that scene where he blinds his buddy with a blank I don't think he removed or loosened his bfa. If he didn't, that wouldn't have done poo poo to the guy. The whole purpose of the bfa (blank flash/fragment arrestor) is to not allow any gas to escape the end of the barrel, thus ensuring the cycling of the weapon with the weak charges in a blank. Also to keep people from getting hit with any crap that might fly out. I certainly don't want to dig up the movie to see for sure and a gis just gets you Collin Farrel's rear end over and over, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Spielberg is doing a movie about WWI. It's called Warhorse.

Too bad it will be a touchy feely movie about a boy reuniting with his animal life partner as opposed to a real movie about WWI.

Appears there was also a play based on the same book the movie is based on. Interesting.

GreglFaggins fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2011 around 21:56

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Gtab posted:

yeah i also hate when emotional tales of personal growth interfere with getting my killboner on while watching the most grotesque charade of a war in history.

just give me a meatgrinder for 2 hours, spielberg, you pussy!

No, I just don't like horses. They're assholes.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Watched the first two episodes of Ultimate Force because of this thread and I have to say that, despite myself, I giggle a little bit every time they empty their weapons into a bad guy after shooting him dead. Only one way to be sure I guess.

I also like the show despite the lack of initial character development, which honestly seems to be a British TV trademark.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

If the few books on the SAS from people who served in the unit serve as an example, that might not be far off in some cases. I know that according to the official reports of the Iranian Embassy Seige, they tried to make sure everyone was-ahem- accounted for...of which, I can get down with.

I wouldn't doubt it, especially since they apparently had SAS guys on the show's staff. I would imagine doctrine like that came from working in Northern Ireland (I don't know poo poo about the SAS, but I assume some of them had to have spent lots of time in the long conflict in Northern Ireland).

To clarify I giggle because it is hilariously awesome, especially when the new dudes seem to not be down with it at first and the old hands look at them like they are from loving Mars because they aren't dumping rounds into a corpse.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Pitch posted:

I loving LOVE that the plot actually involves locking a small group of ships inside a limited area with no radar coverage. They're just gonna fire EVERYTHING at B7.

It would be even better if they cheat and just stack all of their ships on top of one another. Is the sequel going to be electronic battleship? Cause the whole electronic thing ruined the game.

At least they finally got the dude from Friday Night Lights to cut his lank, greasy hair.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Was that the guy that was accused of snapping all the dicks off of the statues of Priapus the night before a fleet was going to be sent out to war?

It was Alcibiades that was accused of snapping off the dicks of all of the statues of Hermes in Athens before the fleet sailed for Sicily. It turned out to be a small opposing political faction and the whole situation devolved into rampant arrests and executions within the city that tainted the expedition. Alcibiades was ultimately tried in absentia, and sentenced to death, for unrelated "crimes" by his opponents while he was away on the Sicilian expedition which lead to him fleeing to Sparta and turning his genius and wrath upon Athens. The Sicilian expedition was left to Nicias who was too old, feeble and not nearly motivated enough to complete the task at hand. The job was then handed off to Demosthenes who was, even with reinforcements, unable to gain victory over the key city of Syracuse (where the invasion had stalled). The Spartans sent their general Gylippus to train and motivate the Syracusans, a job that he was ultimately successful at (he did basically what modern US Army Special Forces do today. Teach and motivate foreign soldiers).

Sorry, I read a few things about the subject recently. The movie in question is based on a Shakespeare play and Roman, not Greek, history. Either way it will be high drama, hopefully with some good action too.

GreglFaggins fucked around with this message at Aug 20, 2011 around 01:50

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

SirDrinksAlot posted:

I could maybe see them being real Navy SEALs. It's a hell of a recruitment move from the Navy.

Not that it means anything, but IMDB doesn't have any of the SEALS listed. There are also "white" and "black" SEALS, as with most other forms of spec ops type jobs. "White" being the guys who do the run of the mill stuff in the regular teams and "black" being the guys like the ones who killed Bin Laden in the super duper special commands that it takes a decade or more as a shooter to even qualify for an invitation into.

Just depends on their job as to whether they can publicly out themselves as SEALS or not.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

For anyone interested in watching a not historically accurate movie with some pretty decent long sword work Ironclad on Netflix instant is pretty decent and really gory. Has the dude who played Mark Anthony from Rome, which a plus for me. He's dreamy.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know if any of ya'll watch Homeland, but he better loving not blow himself up when he gets near the president. I really hope he decides not to do it and winds up going after the terrorists or some poo poo. Either way compelling plot line, also great Ghettysburg speech.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So is it worth it to pick up some Sherlock Holmes? Should I go from the beginning, or is it all episodic enough that it doesn't matter?

Hound of the Baskervilles is really the first full length story, the rest of them are short and the first few are incongruous (Watson's jezail wound moves from his shoulder to his leg, for instance), it's really just running character development on Doyle's part though. The Gutenburg Project should make it pretty painless to get most of these books and more. All the books on this site are out of copyright and have fallen into public domain.

GreglFaggins fucked around with this message at Jan 3, 2012 around 22:29

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Speaking of movies no one gets to see, has Coriolanus been released anywhere besides California and New York? I can't find it in any theaters anywhere near me. Is there a full release date? Because I can't find one.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

I kind of figured that, but was still living in hope. I'm honestly not surprised because it is the type of movie that has limited appeal, but it's Ralph Feinnes directorial debut so I was hoping he would balls up and do a full release. I never had any doubts that it would rock.

Kind of in the same category, I was surprised Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was so widely released. When I went to see it it was my girlfriend and me, and two old couples in the theater. I mean geriatric old. One of the old dudes snored through most of the movie. I liked it though.

E: Do they use Shakespeare's dialogue or at least adapt it in the same spirit?

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Also there's a little thing after the credits. Couple seconds long that might make the ending a bit more acceptable for folks.

gently caress. What was it? I left before the credits were done. I really wish they would stop doing this with movies, I don't want to wait around through the credits like a chump.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBJefhcbR4

Welp, this looks pretty cool.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

Speaking of Damian Lewis, is Homeland a good show? I've heard good things about it but I haven't gotten around to trying to find a way to watch it.

One bad thing about Homeland is that you might have to give it a little time. I had relegated it to "it recorded so I'll halfway watch it while I gently caress around on my computer" until one episode things just started happening and it got very good.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I could MS paint a better version than they showed.
Girl dumps a 20 bag of fertilizer into cardboard cylinder about 12 inches wide, 2 feet tall. Looked kind of like a retarded hat box. Then she takes a five gallon can of fuel and pours a bunch in, puts the lid on. Has a bunch of random batters and wires all over it, and threatens with the detonator.
Episode is S08, E01- Informed and is on Netflix instant

That's the one where the main female character bitches out the fed lady for shooting and killing the girl that was about to detonate ludicrous bomb, screaming about how "you could have just shot the detonator out of her hand" or something equally stupid. Even though it shouldn't have, it astonished me that tv writers could be that loving stupid. I mean, do they not even bother having any cops on the payroll as consultants? The pure lack of basic research is just lazy. Even one of those retardedly overweight NYPD cops (every last one pictured) that I saw pictures of during that whole OWS thing could have given them proper advice about basic doctrine. That episode is the one that sealed the shitiness of SVU for me.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

IMDB says we will be astounded by the superior acting of Mark Wahlberg in the Lone Survivor movie. Fassbender is a way better actor, but neither of them even remotely look like Luttrell.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Just watched the new Danny Trejo movie, Bad rear end, and, aside from a stupid scene in a pawn shop where a dude identifies the type of pistol used from a spent casing, it's pretty decent in the cheesy way it's supposed to be. Danny Trejo's old rear end beats the poo poo out of lots of people and there's even a chase scene involving two charter buses.

Basically they made a movie out of the old man bus fight from a few years ago. And, of course, Amber Lamps makes an appearance.

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

Maybe it was 45 GAP!

Nah, "9mm from a Beretta M9. Probably a staggered 15 round magazine. That's military poo poo!", or something close.

Literally the most common pistol caliber there is.

Also seconding Red Hill, pretty good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreglFaggins
Dec 8, 2009

About Looper. I heard from somewhere that they basically use the characters ignorance of how time travel works to keep from coming up with some kind of semi logical explanation. Apparently the loopers are the lowest rung, most ignorant of the organization, hence the one shot fancy pipe shotgun, and the audience follows Joseph Gordon Levitt who is one of those jokers.

Either way, who gives a poo poo? Not every movie needs to be academy award caliber and it looks like a lot of fun.