Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calef
Aug 21, 2007

SilkyP posted:

I have only ever read AGOT and I'm rereading it now so I can continue on to the other books but I have a question that I've been wondering. It seems like a lot of the main characters are children and I really can't see kids being bad rear end ever. Will this hinder my reading of the series? The thought of 12 year old kids going postal on people is a little hard for me to buy so, do they get markedly older as the books progress or will I have to suspend my disbelief and pretend like children can be badasses?

These books are about essentially deconstructing the concept of "badassness."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Haraksha posted:

I completely agree with this. It's like it was designed with the intent of every chapter ending on a cliffhanger. I guess that's his way of keeping the pace up, but it's like as soon as something interesting happens in the chapter, you know it's about to change to a new POV.

Same thing happened to me, but it was the first time I read. Every time I'd get to the end of a chapter, I'd have an urge to skip ahead to the next of that character's chapters and continue with their story. It happened to me almost every chapter, with a couple exceptions, and it happened in every book. GRRM makes most of the characters interesting enough from moment to moment that you want to stay with them to see what happens to them.

I would say more but it would touch on future books so I'll have to restrain myself :sigh:

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."
The funny thing is you end up wanting to know what happens next with whatever POV you are on. Then the next POV starts peeling back the layers, or advancing the plot of other stuff you are interested in. It is all good.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Zombie Lincoln posted:

The funny thing is you end up wanting to know what happens next with whatever POV you are on. Then the next POV starts peeling back the layers, or advancing the plot of other stuff you are interested in. It is all good.

I agree, almost every chapter in the series starts off awesome.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Finished the first book. That was not how I anticipated things going. Already breaking into the second book.

Am I the only one who hates coming up to a Caitlyn chapter? Her chapters seem so worthless and annoying to read. I don't know what it is, I just really don't like her chapters. I'd even take creepy Daenerys' chapters over hers.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Don't worry, Catelyn is the most irritating POV character in the novels, since she is just whiny and bitchy over every single thing.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Quid posted:

Finished the first book. That was not how I anticipated things going. Already breaking into the second book.

Am I the only one who hates coming up to a Caitlyn chapter? Her chapters seem so worthless and annoying to read. I don't know what it is, I just really don't like her chapters. I'd even take creepy Daenerys' chapters over hers.

A lot of people don't like her character, but you get most of your Robb info through her, so you're informed of good stuff happening within her chapters. Look at it that way, I guess.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Mr Crustacean posted:

Sansa is the most irritating POV character in the novels, since she is just whiny and bitchy over every single thing.

I have modified your post to fit my opinion.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

therapy posted:

It is known.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

therapy posted:

Like mother, like daughter.

Can't stand either of them.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Phenomneek posted:

Like mother, like daughter.

Can't stand either of them.

Like son too. gently caress Bran.

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~

Rhgr posted:

Her only good son was Jo..gently caress, never mind.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Che Delilas posted:

Same thing happened to me, but it was the first time I read. :sigh:

Yeah, it happened on my first read through, too. And Zombie Lincoln is right, the other characters and plots are interesting enough to keep you reading even though you really want to know what's going on with the character you just finished.

Until you get to a chapter that starts "Danny was...", and then I just roll my eyes.

I seriously cannot get into her POV or her story.

Also, while early Cat chapters are pretty drat annoying, Sansa chapters are awesome just because of how naive she is. Even though I hate everything her character does, it's always fun to read. It's the same reason why I love Cersei chapters.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I read this series a little while ago, and I love Robb Stark to death. He may start out like a bitch, but he is insanely bad rear end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love re-reading this and finding all the ironic lines.

For example, one of the early chapters has Jon speaking to Robb when the Starks are getting ready to leave Winterfell. There's some banter about what each will be doing in the future, and Jon says "You Starks are hard to kill."

Riiiiiight.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

therapy posted:

I believe you actually meant Brienne.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rhgr posted:

Other than Eddard I find all the Stark POVs to be boring as piss.

Quakerman
Apr 4, 2010

by elpintogrande
For anybody annoyed by the Stark POVs, keep at it, they greatly improve once poo poo hits the fan.

Also, how do you spoiler text? Is it this?

EDIT: turns out it is

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
drat, after reading through this thread, I just went out and bought the first 3 books since I had A Feast For Crows waiting to be read. Starting on book one tonight... hopefully I can join in shortly...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Quakerman posted:

For anybody annoyed by the Stark POVs, keep at it, they greatly improve once poo poo hits the fan.

They failed to pull me in even after poo poo got real. Hell I'd have pushed Bran out a window a second time to make him go away.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Quakerman posted:

I'm on my fifth re-read :ssh:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

SilkyP posted:

I have only ever read AGOT and I'm rereading it now so I can continue on to the other books but I have a question that I've been wondering. It seems like a lot of the main characters are children and I really can't see kids being bad rear end ever. Will this hinder my reading of the series? The thought of 12 year old kids going postal on people is a little hard for me to buy so, do they get markedly older as the books progress or will I have to suspend my disbelief and pretend like children can be badasses?

Read some history. Off the top of my head joan of arc, richard I, edward III (well most of the plantagenets). Not to mention the War of the roses that forms some of the inspiration for this series had teenage nobility leading armies of both sides.

Quakerman
Apr 4, 2010

by elpintogrande

Rhgr posted:

I'm on my fifth re-read :ssh:

TheKingslayer posted:

They failed to pull me in even after poo poo got real.

MONSTERS

Actually, I just realized the only reason I liked Sansa's chapters was because you get to see Littlefinger aw yeah Littlefinger 420 plottin errday

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
So I'm up to Catelyn II and it really sucks. How anyone can claim this is good prose is beyond me.

HedgeHodge
Jan 22, 2006

I'm to the end point of the first week's readings and while the story is engaging overall, I find myself disgusted with the majority of the characters (especially Catelyn and all of the Lannisters). I'm also finding it difficult to connect with and enjoy any characters in particular. I'm going to keep reading because I really like the pacing at which GRRM's POV way of writing reveals the story, but I just hope some redeeming qualities in the characters show themselves soon or this is going to feel one loooooooooong read.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

HedgeHodge posted:

I'm to the end point of the first week's readings and while the story is engaging overall, I find myself disgusted with the majority of the characters (especially Catelyn and all of the Lannisters). I'm also finding it difficult to connect with and enjoy any characters in particular. I'm going to keep reading because I really like the pacing at which GRRM's POV way of writing reveals the story, but I just hope some redeeming qualities in the characters show themselves soon or this is going to feel one loooooooooong read.
Well, the Lannisters you are supposed to hate in the start.

I think he want's you to like Catelyn in the beginning, as she is from the apparently good-guys family but yes, she's a oval office

Give it some time, there are characters you'll love and hate with a passion, and that's what made the book for me.

Quakerman posted:

You could also use the "preview reply" button to see if you use the correct code.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Anders posted:

Well, look at the bright side, it makes the re-read funnier, as you've propably missed alot of foreshadowing the first time around (I know I did).

I just got around to starting AGoT to catch up to the thread and GRRM just shoved it down my throat so much that the cause of the dire wolf's death was symbolic that I had to poke around the appendix (thanks Locus), finally discovering that the banner of the house Baratheon is a stag. Little babby found his first foreshadow. Reading is very slow-going when I'm trying to concentrate on mentally mapping all these people and their relationships with each other and keeping my eye out for literary devices. I know I should probably just read it at face value but don't want to feel like I'm missing out on something either.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TheKingslayer posted:

They failed to pull me in even after poo poo got real. Hell I'd have pushed Bran out a window a second time to make him go away.

How far are you? Because from your avatar I assumed you finished the series.

HedgeHodge
Jan 22, 2006

greasy digits posted:

I just got around to starting AGoT to catch up to the thread and GRRM just shoved it down my throat so much that the cause of the dire wolf's death was symbolic that I had to poke around the appendix (thanks Locus), finally discovering that the banner of the house Baratheon is a stag. Little babby found his first foreshadow. Reading is very slow-going when I'm trying to concentrate on mentally mapping all these people and their relationships with each other and keeping my eye out for literary devices. I know I should probably just read it at face value but don't want to feel like I'm missing out on something either.

drat even as a first time reader I figured that one out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

How far are you? Because from your avatar I assumed you finished the series.

I'm done except for the last few pages of Feast For Crows, since I'm saving them for when the next book comes out. It's still fun to audiobook through.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

HedgeHodge posted:

I missed it on my first readthrough. There's a lot of stuff in the books that isn't obvious unless you're switched on and reading carefully. Going slowly is rewarded in this series, you can really get into the story and see connections that aren't otherwise obvious.

quote:

I'm done except for the last few pages of Feast For Crows, since I'm saving them for when the next book comes out.

Ahahahah

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

HedgeHodge posted:

He doesn't mention anything about a horn (unless I missed it) until mentioning the Baratheon crest in Eddard I, at which point it should be fairly obvious. I felt somewhat rewarded that I hunted for the horn's symbolism back in Bran I and found it in the appendix. It's good that GRRM at least gives you multiple sticks/carrots without it screaming "HEY HERE IS THIS COMPLETELY OBVIOUS SYMBOLISM THAT I TOOK GREAT CARE TO INSERT AND IT MEANS THE FOLLOWING...". When authors do that it makes me enjoy the book a lot less.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 30, 2010

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dendra posted:

Ahahahah

:negative:

Please release it, for the love of all that's good and just.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

TheKingslayer posted:

:negative:

Please release it, for the love of all that's good and just.

Ahahaha

HedgeHodge
Jan 22, 2006

greasy digits posted:

He doesn't mention anything about a horn (unless I missed it) until mentioning the Baratheon crest in Eddard I, at which point it should be fairly obvious. I felt somewhat rewarded that I hunted for the horn's symbolism back in Bran I and found it in the appendix. It's good that GRRM at least gives you multiple sticks/carrots without it screaming "HEY HERE IS THIS COMPLETELY OBVIOUS SYMBOLISM THAT I TOOK GREAT CARE TO INSERT AND IT MEANS THE FOLLOWING...". When authors do that it makes me enjoy the book a lot less.

That's actually how I felt about that entire situation. Even though he didn't mention the stag being the symbol of the King until a bit later, just the fact that he stressed the dire wolf dying so much and everyone's reaction to it felt really forced to me.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

^^^^^^

Am I the only one that didn't feel this had any particular say later in the books? After all, Joffery is more Lannister, even if his sur-name Baratheon, and Stannis/Renly didn't really do anything against the Starks

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

HedgeHodge posted:

That's actually how I felt about that entire situation. Even though he didn't mention the stag being the symbol of the King until a bit later, just the fact that he stressed the dire wolf dying so much and everyone's reaction to it felt really forced to me.

Okay now I'm on page 70 and since typing that this morning the wolf/stag has been mentioned two more times. I think that makes the grand total of five now? You're absolutely right.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Stop meta-gaming when reading and you'll feel better

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Anders posted:

^^^^^^

Am I the only one that didn't feel this had any particular say later in the books? After all, Joffery is more Lannister, even if his sur-name Baratheon, and Stannis/Renly didn't really do anything against the Starks

My interpretation of it is that the reason why all this poo poo happens to House Stark in the first place is because Ed joins forces with Robert to rebel because Robert assumes that his "true love" has been forcefully captured and raped. That is how House Baratheon slays House Stark, and the events we're seeing are just the fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Haraksha posted:

My interpretation of it is that the reason why all this poo poo happens to House Stark in the first place is because Ed joins forces with Robert to rebel because Robert assumes that his "true love" has been forcefully captured and raped. That is how House Baratheon slays House Stark, and the events we're seeing are just the fallout.

I think it was just a dire wolf that was killed by a stag. But off course, if want to see a hidden meaning, I guess you can, but I think the Gurm just wanted to lead you on.

• Locked thread