Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

clockworkjoe posted:

oh and BTW - Reign is 10 bux so buy it you mugs http://www.arcdream.com/store/product.php?id=75404

That doesn't have any of the setting material, but if you're cool with that it's a steal. His new Setting should be coming out for free soon anyway, it's filling the ransom pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

oh and BTW - Reign is 10 bux so buy it you mugs http://www.arcdream.com/store/product.php?id=75404

Is the full book with setting stuff etc. worth buying anyway?

It sounds like the sort of thing I'm usually looking for in a fantasy game.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Rpg.net melted down at Stolze because men can't ride horses in the world of Reign.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kemper Boyd posted:

Rpg.net melted down at Stolze because men can't ride horses in the world of Reign.

In the setting that is included with Reign.

Anyway I know in this thread we're going all UNKNOWN ARMIES I WANT YOUR BABIES but Reign is a really good fantasy game where it's easy to throw out the setting and use it for any fantasy adventure you want. Does better with gritty fantasy rather than DnD, since because of a system quirk, barring armour and special traits, everyone's 'hit points' are roughly the same, and you can die from a good strong blow to the head.

Reign's included setting (the world of Heluso and Milonda) has a LOT of quirks that are different from Tolkien-derived fantasy to the point where it turns people off, but if you like cool fantasy rules or you think the idea of a world where the continents are shaped like people and gravity is towards the 'bones' or 'centre' of the people and there's a whole country on the underside of an 'arm' that never sees the sun and so on then Reign is pretty awesome.

edit: http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/ hell just look at the website and the moving image, that's what the geography of the known world looks like literally.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Reign's included setting (the world of Heluso and Milonda) has a LOT of quirks that are different from Tolkien-derived fantasy to the point where it turns people off

Blargh, now I'm officially interested. Don't suppose you could give me a summary of what it's like?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ansob. posted:

Blargh, now I'm officially interested. Don't suppose you could give me a summary of what it's like?

The website tells you most of what you need to know, but:
The world (more accurately, the known continents) is shaped like two people. Gravity is almost always oriented towards the 'ground'. When you're on water, though, gravity is oriented towards the sea floor/water. This means that standing on a shore, you see a wall of water in front of you. When you step onto the water, you 'shift' gravity orientations, the wall of water becomes the ocean beneath you, and if you look behind you, the land is a wall of cities and plains curving away.

There are no elves or dwarves. I mean there could be, but everything's more focused on humans. There are demons and monsters and other stuff (about as much as you want there to be, the focus is on human vs human).

If you murder someone AFTER they plead for their life, they become a ghost and haunt you. I think they have minor poltergeistic powers, but mostly they just yell in the ears and otherwise annoy those they haunt. This means that starvation is the usual means of execution, and provides a reason to have recurring villains (the party can't kill the captive unless they want to be haunted).

The sun and the moon are fixed in position and brighten and dim on a daily basis. Days work generally as normal, but shadows are constantly fixed in place, and there's no concept of sunset and sunrise. Some plants (because of ambient magic, whatever) live off moonlight or darkness or whatever and grow in these permanent shadows. This also means some regions of the world (like behind the spine of one continent) are in perpetual darkness.

It's a widely held, self-confirming (? this is a point of contention but you can easily ignore) superstition that riding a horse astride makes men infertile, and men who do so are treated as social pariahs or eunuchs. This is a setting element basically just to justify gender equality by requiring any nation who wants cavalry to employ women (or chariots I guess).

The culture is more Bronze-Agey in feel, hardly anyone is literate, language hasn't evolved enough yet to have spaces and an upper/lower case distinction, nobody has figured out reading silently. The way the language skill works is actually interesting and useful in Reign, a globetrotting/nation-politics game will really benefit from a guy who can translate.

Magic is 'ambient' in the world to the point that everyone has a sixth 'magic sense' that tells when spooky stuff is going on. Nearly every type of magic has a different style of casting it. Anyone can learn any magic, but to get the really powerful stuff, you have to 'attune' yourself to a style which bars you from other styles. You can also gently caress up attunement so that you get the benefits of the magic but you look ugly (example: one attunement process has you getting wings and you can fly as well as cast thunderbolts and stuff. loving it up still gives you chucking thunderbolts, but your wings can't fly and look weird).

Oh right and of the four(?) cultures detailed in the book (more are mentioned or hinted at), only one of them is predominantly white (they're the freak cannibals that live in the sunless plains).

So yeah that's all the interesting stuff about Reign's default setting that I remember offhand (which I stress is FREELY DIVORCABLE FROM THE RULES IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT). The next setting he's putting out for it, Nain, is inspired by Harry Potter and Gormenghast and is full of magic and wands that choose wizards and all that sort of thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That sounds super cool. Is the big book that includes the setting stuff available as a .pdf anywhere or is it just sold as a physical product? If the latter then I doubt I'll be able to find it here, but I guess I'll go into Paris at some point and look.

Helena P Blavatsky
Oct 17, 2003

onward to victory

Ansob. posted:

That sounds super cool. Is the big book that includes the setting stuff available as a .pdf anywhere or is it just sold as a physical product? If the latter then I doubt I'll be able to find it here, but I guess I'll go into Paris at some point and look.

:19bux:

What I like about the default Reign setting is it is more a "fantasy setting" than a "thinly-veiled real-world fantasy analog." It is much less bland than "fantasy middle ages Europe" (or even "fantasy post-WWI Europe," IMO).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tolervi posted:

What I like about the default Reign setting is it is more a "fantasy setting" than a "thinly-veiled real-world fantasy analog." It is much less bland than "fantasy middle ages Europe" (or even "fantasy post-WWI Europe," IMO).

I'm broke as all hell but a terrible sucker for interesting settings, so bought.

And yeah, I'm always lamenting about "fantasy" settings just being medieval Europe with cheap knock-offs of Tolkien species. For a genre that's called fantasy there's so little that's fantastic in the worlds they present that it's a huge shame. Give me more sentient jellyfish and neon-coloured sky whales and mosquito men and swords that fight by materialising the sword-strikes that you might have made instead of the attack you did make, and less war wizards and thinly-veiled Christian analogy religions and orcs fighting elves.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 28, 2010

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tolervi posted:

It's the rare fantasy setting that dares to be a little, you know, fantastic. So naturally grognards hate it and nitpick it for being "unrealistic".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Just adding my voice to the choir of how awesome Unknown Armies is. It really has changed the way I run any and all games, be it any of the 40K RPGs or the epic demigods of Scion, and it is all for the better.

ORE and Reign are also fantastic, we had a game of Fantasy Vietnam using the rules and setting and it was one of the best we ever had.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

bewilderment posted:

Oh right and of the four(?) cultures detailed in the book (more are mentioned or hinted at), only one of them is predominantly white (they're the freak cannibals that live in the sunless plains).

This is literally my favorite part of REIGN.

Buy Reign, enjoy the gently caress out of it, and then realize it was totally not written as a replacement ruleset for Exalted you guys nudge nudge wink wink.

Furthermore Godlike is both the best superhero RPG and the best WWII RPG because it understands that ultimately, you are a replaceable cog in a vast uncaring war machine and ORE means combat moves fast and is deadly as poo poo. Basically I want this man to have my nerd babies.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen

counterspin posted:

If you want to introduce people to UA run Jailbreak from the One-Shots book. Best adventure I've ever played in, run, or read. A masterpiece. There I said it, and I got gushy.
yeah srsly i played it at genconoz last year and it was fantastic. we played startign at like 10 at night and had a pretyt good group. I got to play the old guy :3

nobody spoil anything about jailbreak!!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

happyelf posted:

yeah srsly i played it at genconoz last year and it was fantastic. we played startign at like 10 at night and had a pretyt good group. I got to play the old guy :3

nobody spoil anything about jailbreak!!

are you going to gencon this year?

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
Gencon oz is held in Brisbane, Australia, which is just down the coast from me.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I have to agree with Happyelf. If you're not going to run Jailbreak, don't even read the thing. Buy it and bribe someone else to run it for you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Reign is awesome.
One of the things I love about Reign is that it can handle a group starting as just a bunch of people with a common goal, and slowly build them up into an actual force to be reckoned with. My group is on their way to either becoming a major trading house, private mercenary navy, or pirate fleet. They just haven't decided yet. But no matter which way they go, there are simple rules in place to deal with whatever any of these Companies would be doing on a large scale.

Don't forget that a lot of extra setting info and such can be found in the twelve free supplements, too.

Also, Reign is probably the only game where random chargen is totally balanced with point buy.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, Reign is probably the only game where random chargen is totally balanced with point buy.

Wrong. One of the tables gives you more points of Cooking than a regular character could buy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

the Companies generator posted:

2x1 Gossipy Old Folks

1x5 Murderous Thugs With No Moral Center
Sinister Operatives

2x6 Broad Appreciation for Tactics
Rules of Plunder

I've not gotten far enough in the rules to know what those mean but the image of a bunch of gossipy old men slash sinister double-agent operatives with no morals slash experts in plunder who call plundering everything a "broad application of tactics" is hilarious. It's like Statler and Waldorf with guns (or bows as the case may be).

e; it just generated a character who's the grizzled child of a general and the royal horse breeder, started his career as a notary, then moved on to being a beauty salon operator who uses his skills to case joints before organising heists and using the wealth to protect his neighbourhood from other criminals.

e2; one of the Company properties is "An Underappreciated But Scrappy Officer Who Will Take Charge When All Seems Doomed And Save the Day Only To Lose His Life In The Process." Amazing.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 30, 2010

TouretteDog
Oct 20, 2005

Was it something I said?

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the things I love about Reign is that it can handle a group starting as just a bunch of people with a common goal, and slowly build them up into an actual force to be reckoned with.

The company rules are awesome, and you can even use them behind-the-scenes in a completely different gaming system as a semi-abstract way to figure out what sort of impact your players have on politics on a local, regional, or even global level.

I used it in a GURPS game a while ago, basically running the different gangs, guilds, and factions of a city at a high level using the REIGN company rules, and applying modifiers to the rolls based on what the players did. It worked great. We had the players split up a guild into warring factions, have their own puppet guild absorb one of those factions, suffer through lean times after an underling looted their treasury, quash an internal rebellion, forcibly eject several gangs from their territory, and finally see everything they'd gained slowly get ground away over a period of months by the corrosive social influence of a cult.

All of which easy to figure out in the REIGN company system. If you want to throw some sort of political metagame into your setting, it really is pretty drat solid.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Got Unknown Armies on Amazon. It is the fourth printing, May 2010. This is probably one of the best roleplaying books every written. It's incredible.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Oh there's a great UA email list - not very active but there's a HUGE archive of fodder for the game. http://lists.unknown-armies.com/listinfo.cgi/ua-unknown-armies.com

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Got Unknown Armies on Amazon. It is the fourth printing, May 2010. This is probably one of the best roleplaying books every written. It's incredible.

I wasn't going to buy this, but then Amazon said they only had one copy left and my gamer collector gene went haywire and I bought it and now it's shipping in 1 to 3 weeks. I get minor charges from buying RPGs I'll never play, apparently.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FirstCongoWar posted:

I wasn't going to buy this, but then Amazon said they only had one copy left and my gamer collector gene went haywire and I bought it and now it's shipping in 1 to 3 weeks. I get minor charges from buying RPGs I'll never play, apparently.

You know, you can probably make a ludomancer who does exactly that: accumulate minor charges from buying a system or video game he'll never play because he already has a massive backlog.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

clockworkjoe posted:

Take a look at some of your old photos. Do you have one that's a street scene, maybe from a vacation? Look at it closely. See that guy in the background, in the dark suit? You have to look carefully the first time.

Now look at some other photos. See that figure in the background? Yup, same guy.

He's in the background of a lot of your pictures. Anything where there's a crowd. Always a crowd. He doesn't want to stand out. It's not just you. He's in everyone's pictures. He's stuck there, has been for a hundred and fifty years. Back in 1839 he stopped for a shoeshine, and Daguerre trapped him. He's been trying to find a way out ever since.

Try looking at the pictures again in a few years. He'll be a little closer to the camera.

Holy crap someone needs to run a UA game about Slenderman.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
After Amazon emailed me saying that they had lost my package, the Unknown Armies sourcebook just appeared on my doorstep. Yeessssssss.

I'm getting dudes together on Saturday to run over character creation, and I'll run the Bill Toges one-shot the week after. This ought to be awesome!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

bewilderment posted:

If you murder someone AFTER they plead for their life, they become a ghost and haunt you. I think they have minor poltergeistic powers, but mostly they just yell in the ears and otherwise annoy those they haunt. This means that starvation is the usual means of execution, and provides a reason to have recurring villains (the party can't kill the captive unless they want to be haunted).

I'm going to describe this a little more, just because it's a neat idea I've ported into other games and this doesn't do it justice.

A ghost cannot physically interact with the world in any way. However, they are semi-visible and audible by EVERYONE. Oh, and they don't need to sleep, use the bathroom or even pause for breath.

If you are haunted, you have a guy following you around proclaiming how much you suck NONSTOP AT THE TOP OF HIS INCORPORAL LUNGS. People who are haunted are shunned by their communities real fast.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I have an idea for a adept that gets charged by collecting old maps, specifically ones that disagree with each other. S/he's use of magick makes travel easier/harder and can in minor ways shape the world (change street names, move cabins in woods)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like that. Reminds me a bit of a Stephen King short story where a woman finds out how to create 'shortcuts' by folding maps, and 'Incognita, Inc.' by Harlan Ellison, where you can get this little old guy to draw you a map to anywhere you need to go.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Ferrinus posted:

Wrong. One of the tables gives you more points of Cooking than a regular character could buy.

It's cobbling. And it's balanced by the fact it's loving COBBLING.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xand_Man posted:

It's cobbling. And it's balanced by the fact it's loving COBBLING.

You can't see a benefit to knowing shoemaking and the associated leatherworking techniques in a fantasy setting?

Helena P Blavatsky
Oct 17, 2003

onward to victory

Ansob. posted:

You can't see a benefit to knowing shoemaking and the associated leatherworking techniques in a fantasy setting?

Maybe if you were a peasant in an actual fantasy setting and not rolling dice around a table, then yeah. But as it is I sure as hell hope more entertaining things are going on in your games than, "oh man I'm going to roll the dice to see how well I cobble things - yeah I fixed the gently caress out of that boot"

That's not to say it's worthless, but it's not really up there with lying or killing jerks with a sword

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tolervi posted:

But as it is I sure as hell hope more entertaining things are going on in your games than, "oh man I'm going to roll the dice to see how well I cobble things - yeah I fixed the gently caress out of that boot"

Uses for cobbling:
- teach soldiers how to spare the soles of their boots or design better boots, allowing them to march longer;
- make some designer shoes as a gift for a débutante;
- know how to safely boil leather so you can eat it.

And there are bound to be other uses. I mean, sure, it's a little narrow, but in a military campaign it'd be reasonably useful.

Helena P Blavatsky
Oct 17, 2003

onward to victory

Ansob. posted:

Uses for cobbling:
- teach soldiers how to spare the soles of their boots or design better boots, allowing them to march longer;
- make some designer shoes as a gift for a débutante;
- know how to safely boil leather so you can eat it.

And there are bound to be other uses. I mean, sure, it's a little narrow, but in a military campaign it'd be reasonably useful.

As useful as:

- lying to the soldiers to sneak out the macguffin you've nabbed from their capitol?
- lying to the soldiers to stoke their rage, causing them march longer, fight harder, and/or stay happy longer?
- lying to a cobbler to get him to do all that stuff you proposed but for free or on the cheap?

However you're totally right, it could certainly be useful. It's just still not as useful as a real skill, though. Nothing wrong with that. Gives it niche appeal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I believe we're overlooking the possibility that fruit cobbler might be folded into cobbling as well.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Bieeardo posted:

I believe we're overlooking the possibility that fruit cobbler might be folded into cobbling as well.

delicious

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ansob. posted:

Especially since it's "cobbler to royalty".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Especially since it's "cobbler to royalty".

Admittedly the "to royalty" bit means nothing if you don't pay points for Wealth/Status/Patron advantages.

Still, the rulebook explicitly states that "Expert Cobbler" means you know leatherworking. There's got to be a thousand uses for that in any medieval-or-equivalent-tech-level setting. :colbert:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ansob. posted:

Still, the rulebook explicitly states that "Expert Cobbler" means you know leatherworking. There's got to be a thousand uses for that in any medieval-or-equivalent-tech-level setting. :colbert:

A guy that knows his leatherworking would be the richest man in the world in any horror setting published by White Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZearothK posted:

A guy that knows his leatherworking would be the richest man in the world in any modern horror setting.

So many occult tomes to bind, so little time.

e; you probably meant fetish gear but screw you. Chain-producing Necronomicons is the mental image I choose.