Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cyrai posted:

I really like the concept of the system, especially the adepts, but it seems like it would be really hard to actually run. I can't think of a campaign hook that would hold a group together. Everyone would run off, trying to follow their own addiction, completely ignoring the plot hook and maybe the other players. They'd almost certainly destroy themselves before they're 'done' with their addiction, and then the game would fall apart. For that matter, I can't even imagine what a plot hook would be for a game of Unknown Armies. How do you run this?

It seems to me that it's really easiest to start things at the street level. The characters are probably clueless, which makes it easy to turn anything into a plot hook, and plausible to hook them up semi-mundanely-- from personal experience, members of a school club, or junior partners in a private detective firm.

For global level, you make the macguffin something that all of them might want, or something none of them would want anyone else having. Having Adepts or Avatars in the group makes it more complicated, so you have to appeal to them more strategically. Knowledge, the opportunity to take a rival down a few pegs, favours from fellow conspirators, or maybe a tiny, tiny vial of Herzwesten dark for the Dipsomancer.

Cosmic level campaigns seem more like an illustration of how things work nearer the level of the Archetypes, and how it affects characters much further down the totem pole, than a really easily played campaign type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The 'Ascension of the Magdalene' adventure is set in 1610 Prague. It's written as a one-shot, though it has a handful of new Archetypes appropriate to the era.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like that. Reminds me a bit of a Stephen King short story where a woman finds out how to create 'shortcuts' by folding maps, and 'Incognita, Inc.' by Harlan Ellison, where you can get this little old guy to draw you a map to anywhere you need to go.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I believe we're overlooking the possibility that fruit cobbler might be folded into cobbling as well.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gr3y posted:

That would be the most hosed up sweat shop ever. All those little kids trying to make books, just going insane and dancing around and stabbing each other instead. You're a messed up dude.

Sounds like the basis for a new off-broadway show. Oliver Twisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Pick bigger fights. Like on the scale of the Vietnam invasion, or the SCO vs. Novell patent lawsuits, for major charges.