Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hey, sorry because I haven't read through the whole thread yet (working on it, started last night), but I have some questions :

So I finally decided to get into the Stolze mania, ordered UA and Reign, etc. Borrowed a copy of the core for UA after work today.

First, I loving love it. The system is great, and the setting is even better. Hell, even most of the fiction is pretty drat good. I love the Dakota girl's story at the beginning. But I have some questions that are bugging me, although they might be because I'm not fully understanding the system yet. Goons who know better care to clarify?

1) While I really like how lethal the combat is, the non-gun damage seems strangely neutered.

Why does a chainsaw, on average, do so much less damage than even the most lovely gun? I understand that they're trying to say that guns are really bad, which they are, but getting hit with a chainsaw or a wood-axe is pretty much instant death. Hell, in many ways, I'd rather get shot once from a glock in the chest than take a hit from an axe in the leg.

I'm not arguing that fire-arms are too good or anything retarded, I just don't understand why the max a chainsaw can do without crits or matches is 27 : meaning a perfectly average person can get hit twice before dying.

What am I missing?

2) A more minor question : I was thinking about an adept trying to figure out another adept's spell. Specifically, I was thinking about the Bibliomancer's spell Book Burn. Can the Bibliomancer try to figure out what the spell is, maybe even if it's only another Bibliomancer's spell? I guess this would either be a Magick or a Mind roll, right? This led me to wonder how gradable success works, if it does at all. Is it basically just higher numbers are better assuming you don't fail, with some degree of GM adjudication?

Anyway, loving love the game. Can't wait for my own copy to show up. Hope to catch up the rest of the thread soon. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So I'm going to be running Unknown Armies 3E for the first time, and I'd be happy to have some kibitzing on my plans.

I think I get corkboarding? The premise of the campaign is literally just the plot of In the Mouth of Madness but it's about getting the manuscript to The Winds of Winter from George R. R. Martin*. Would it be better to plunk that down as a one giant objective or to split it up into more bite sized objectives? We'll see what my players want in session 0 in terms of length, but I was going to at least pitch it at them as having a chunk before they get to Santa Fe and things pop off for real. I figure at least a session or two just to let as all get the rules internalized and work out any mechanical kinks, solve some initial mysteries to on-road them for later, ominous portents, etc. Am I just describing milestones but in a dumb, wordy manner?

The rest of corkboarding I feel confident in, it's basically what I just do in session 0s generally, but I don't want to gently caress up objectives on the first try.

*Yes, there's going to be a scene in a bakery where he whispers "Did I ever tell you my favorite sweet was... lemoncakes?" and suddenly the place is suffused with the yellow glow of citrusy baked goods. It's the single mandatory station on an otherwise collaborative railroad and I will not be stopped, can not be stopped.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O okay. Cool. Thanks a mill. Sometimes the loosey-goosier parts of systems make me worry about doing things "wrong" because they're a bit unspecified.

While I caught you, you got anything I should be on the look-out for mechanically? The system looks pretty put-together, in many ways better than 2e, but you can never really tell until you get it to the table. Off hand, my worries are mechanically filling out the GMCs quickly and that the grid-iron system, while flexible, is pretty anemic mechanically. The first I'm just gonna throw prep-time at, and the latter I was going to just be quick about it and keep the focus on the narrative. These sound reasonable from your experience?

Also, I have not purchased books 4 and 5 and probably won't unless a player specifically wants a mechanical widget from there. Which is a shame, because your F&F's were one of the big reasons I'm running the system. I don't remember anything particularly helpful in there, but if you do please feel free to remind me.

Thanks again, hoss.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, I was gonna have specific NPCs statted out, a pile of general person-does-X for things like cops, some various stripes of gribblies and then a blank character sheet as a prompt for free-wheeling.

You’ve been a mensch and half, super helpful. Thanks yet again.