Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Teen Jong-il posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on coping strategies for dealing with what a piece of poo poo silverfast is?

Learn the UI and you will hate it less. I like Silverfast but it is the very definition of non-intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

8th-samurai posted:

Learn the UI and you will hate it less. I like Silverfast but it is the very definition of non-intuitive.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Teen Jong-il posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on coping strategies for dealing with what a piece of poo poo silverfast is?

Scanned on an Epson 3170 through Epson Scan software.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Scanned on an Epson 3170 through Epson Scan software.

Bravo! :golfclap:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Just started using a flextight X5. Owns owns owns owns owns

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
So jealous, you don't even know. Currently wondering if I would rather have my car or a coolscan 8000.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Reichstag posted:

So jealous, you don't even know. Currently wondering if I would rather have my car or a coolscan 8000.

Maybe the best part is that the software was designed for people to use. also this is 1/3rd the original scan size (this is a big pic) http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmattis/6311190800/sizes/o/in/photostream/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Teen Jong-il posted:

Uuuuh, superior German application naming? :toot:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does anyone know what the difference between the Epson v500 and v600 is besides 20 bucks on Amazon?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
The film scanning area is larger on the v600. It's also on sale on Adorama for $160.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheLastManStanding posted:

The film scanning area is larger on the v600. It's also on sale on Adorama for $160.

According to Adorama they both have a maximum read area of 8.5 x 11.7

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Skwirl posted:

According to Adorama they both have a maximum read area of 8.5 x 11.7

That's for reflective (paper), not film scanning.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Any experiences with the Reflecta RPS 7200? Looking at this one since it is one of the few filmscanner.info did not hate, so it has to be fairly decent. Pondered the V700/V750 but I have like 1500 frames of 35mm to run through, and the RPS has autofeed (and can even scan entire uncut rolls if you have them) and scans relatively fast, and resolves something like 3900ppi which is quite enough for my needs.

Did briefly consider the Reflecta MF5000 but once I realized I would have to cut up my MF negs into single frames to work in it that one was out. Will probably go with the dedicated 35mm scanner and a V700 for MF/LF.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Does anyone know what the difference between the Epson v500 and v600 is besides 20 bucks on Amazon?

I opted for the V600, because in photography, more money = better photographer :suicide:

I also tried to replicate the Custom Bellows 9000 by putting a film strip on a softbox and shooting it with a macro lens. :nws:Didn't work out so well.

E: Wow, Amazon shipped it in less than a day! Also, is anyone else using XScan on linux? I want to see if I can get this thing serviceable without spending more money on vuescan. The photo I overexposed by two stops seems to have recovered fairly well.

E2: Linux is a bitch to use, VueScan forever.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 3, 2011

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!
So I got a film/slide scanner from my fiance for Christmas. This guy right here She's not really into photography but I needed one so I'm using it in the time being.

Question is, the scans are kinda eh, enough for web poo poo but not something I'd call portfolio worthy. Is there any other software that'd work on this thing? Because the default is...well, yeah. Like 3 buttons.

It's allegedly 1800dpi for slide/negatives but I'm not sure how to...verify the slides I've put through are 1800. They do lose a little bit of the strong color when they're scanned, which sucks because it was a roll of Ektachrome 200 and the slides themselves are super, super vivid.

I'm not in a position to go with anything else, I was too broke to even afford this so I'm just trying to gently caress with it and make it work a bit better than stock. Any ideas?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It seems Silverfast only supports other pacific image scanners, not that one: http://www.silverfast.com/show/scanners-pie/en.html
No info on Vuescan, so I would assume it is also not supported in that.

Can you access it through Photoshop (WIA)?

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

Reichstag posted:

It seems Silverfast only supports other pacific image scanners, not that one: http://www.silverfast.com/show/scanners-pie/en.html
No info on Vuescan, so I would assume it is also not supported in that.

Can you access it through Photoshop (WIA)?

Not a clue, I'm kinda poo poo with Photoshop to be honest. I'm better with Lightroom but that didn't kick up when the scanner is connected. Which makes me think its not compatible, because lightroom picks up whenever I plug in a loving hard drive.

What I'm saying is I have no clue what WIA is.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Does it matter if I set white and black point in the scanner software or afterwords in Lightroom?

Like does it change the way the scanner gets the image if I change that in the software so I don't lose quality on the photograph?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Unless you are scanning in 48 bit mode and saving as a 16 bit tiff, then you are going to want to do as much color/exposure work as possible in the scanner.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Unless you are scanning in 48 bit mode and saving as a 16 bit tiff, then you are going to want to do as much color/exposure work as possible in the scanner.

Unless you're using a higher-end scanner all you're doing is modifying the base scan the scanner makes though. That's why making a RAW scan in Vuescan is superior, the scanner is going to capture the same information no matter what, better you do the editing yourself in photoshop.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Reichstag posted:

Unless you're using a higher-end scanner all you're doing is modifying the base scan the scanner makes though. That's why making a RAW scan in Vuescan is superior, the scanner is going to capture the same information no matter what, better you do the editing yourself in photoshop.
....um, that was my point... If he's scanning raw it doesn't matter and should edit in photoshop. If he's scanning as jpeg he should be editing in the scanner software where it's still raw. He didn't specify how he was saving the files which is why I included both cases.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I've been scanning to TIFFs, but I'll give a couple a try as RAW and do it in photoshop and see what I end up with. The editing tools in Vuescan leave much to be desired.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

eggsovereasy posted:

I've been scanning to TIFFs, but I'll give a couple a try as RAW and do it in photoshop and see what I end up with. The editing tools in Vuescan leave much to be desired.
It's the same across all scanner software.

It's easier to get it correct if you scan it as a slide btw. I think I had the easiest time of it in Epson Scan. Vuescan is more straightforward about making it a raw scan but they end up dark as poo poo for some reason.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I had some color film processed and this is driving me nuts. Is there some easy way to get this right because evidently I'm color retarded and I have to gently caress around with an image for like 20 minutes to even get it so it looks almost ok and it looks like rear end if I pick "White Balance" or "Auto Levels" or anything else in Vuescan.

If I boot into windows and use Epson Scan (evidently it won't work with OS X Lion) poo poo comes out looking perfect and I don't have to touch a drat thing, but it wants to crop my 6x6 negatives as 6x4.5 so I have to manually set the crop on each one.

I want to try Silverfast, but it won't even start on my computer for some reason.

I hate color film :smith:

Edit:

Never mind the boring picture, never done portraits and I'm giving it a shot.

Here is what I get after a long time screwing around in photoshop:

And this is what I get out of Epson Scan + a little s-curve.

Now that I see it in the browser it's not perfect (seems a bit brownish), but I'm miles closer right off the bat. Maybe I should just stick with black and white.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 10, 2012

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

eggsovereasy posted:

So I had some color film processed and this is driving me nuts. Is there some easy way to get this right because evidently I'm color retarded and I have to gently caress around with an image for like 20 minutes to even get it so it looks almost ok and it looks like rear end if I pick "White Balance" or "Auto Levels" or anything else in Vuescan.

If I boot into windows and use Epson Scan (evidently it won't work with OS X Lion) poo poo comes out looking perfect and I don't have to touch a drat thing, but it wants to crop my 6x6 negatives as 6x4.5 so I have to manually set the crop on each one.

I want to try Silverfast, but it won't even start on my computer for some reason.

I hate color film :smith:

Edit:

Never mind the boring picture, never done portraits and I'm giving it a shot.

Here is what I get after a long time screwing around in photoshop:

And this is what I get out of Epson Scan + a little s-curve.

Now that I see it in the browser it's not perfect (seems a bit brownish), but I'm miles closer right off the bat. Maybe I should just stick with black and white.

This is why you shoot a color card.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

JaundiceDave posted:

This is why you shoot a color card.

Yeah I need to get one. Also, I'm guessing this this one of those things you get better at with experience; I play with the sliders and I just don't know what I'm going to get sometimes.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

eggsovereasy posted:

It wants to crop my 6x6 negatives as 6x4.5 so I have to manually set the crop on each one.

In the configuration you have to say what medium format you're scanning. I don't know why...

I recently had to scan a half frame roll. There is no half frame option. 72 shots per roll :suicide:.

I kind of like the background in your second picture, but the skin tones are definitely better in the first one.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Does anybody know where I can get a v600 or thereabouts shipped to AUS for reasonable prices. At B+H they have it for 165$ AUD, EVERYWHERE here they have it for around 450$, that's not a difference I'm willing to pay. The bastard things don't have a variable power supply and I don't particularly want to be messing around with transformers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Presumably you could get a power brick with the correct input voltage for a lot less than the difference in cost?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

IOwnCalculus posted:

Presumably you could get a power brick with the correct input voltage for a lot less than the difference in cost?

Have tried, the brick is called a a411E but it's ludicrously difficult to find on AUS ebay. I found a Russian blog where a guy rewired a third party multi-current transformer to serve the same function but I'm not big on rewiring mains voltage stuff.

Hmmm, looking about I ~think~ the v500 and v600 take the same adapter, and all the ebay listings are hidden under v500 adapters. Still no Aus sellers and I'm still a little cautious about buying a transformer from China.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

XTimmy posted:

Have tried, the brick is called a a411E but it's ludicrously difficult to find on AUS ebay. I found a Russian blog where a guy rewired a third party multi-current transformer to serve the same function but I'm not big on rewiring mains voltage stuff.

Hmmm, looking about I ~think~ the v500 and v600 take the same adapter, and all the ebay listings are hidden under v500 adapters. Still no Aus sellers and I'm still a little cautious about buying a transformer from China.

Can you just buy a generic power brick with the same voltage/amperage rating as the scanner? I just did that to replace the power adapter for one of my external hard drives, works no problem.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

In the configuration you have to say what medium format you're scanning. I don't know why...

I recently had to scan a half frame roll. There is no half frame option. 72 shots per roll :suicide:.

I kind of like the background in your second picture, but the skin tones are definitely better in the first one.

Yeah I found that, but it seems to have no effect. Also, in the tab where you just manual do a crop and scan you can't do a mirror or a rotation :psyduck:

Maybe I should double check that I have the newest version.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 11, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can you just buy a generic power brick with the same voltage/amperage rating as the scanner? I just did that to replace the power adapter for one of my external hard drives, works no problem.

I think I'm going to end up buying one off ebay. Now I've re-read the thread I'm re thinking my scanner choice though haha. Might look into Canoscan... Choices choices.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

XTimmy posted:

I think I'm going to end up buying one off ebay. Now I've re-read the thread I'm re thinking my scanner choice though haha. Might look into Canoscan... Choices choices.

I got 90% of the way to just going to jaycar and buying a brick; they use a really common DC input with a standard plug size.

But then I found a used canoscan 8800F on gumtree for $140 or something and just bought that instead.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

XTimmy posted:

Does anybody know where I can get a v600 or thereabouts shipped to AUS for reasonable prices. At B+H they have it for 165$ AUD, EVERYWHERE here they have it for around 450$, that's not a difference I'm willing to pay. The bastard things don't have a variable power supply and I don't particularly want to be messing around with transformers.

If you get one from Europe the voltage is the same so you just need a plug adaptor.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
What's they best way to clean a scanner. I have a Canon 8800F and it seems there is some fibres or dust on the backlight, I've gone over both the glass and the backlight with a lens pen but all I seem to do is move it around.

Edit: Just tested vuescan, on it's lowest Infrared cleaning setting it did a far better job than Canons software at it's highest setting. Guess I should shell out for that then.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 19, 2012

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Aaaaa gently caress. Anybody know how to get a Canoscan 8800F to focus on 135 film? I see there is an insert for 120 film on betterscanning but I don't know if I can use that.

So loving annoyed. This close to just buying a v750pro. The canon was fine when I was just messing about with film but as soon as I start to take it anything close to seriously I just want to tear my hair out.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Get the v700 instead, the v750 is the same scanner except with a very badly designed fluid mounting platform and Silverfast. The price difference could probably get you one of the betterscanning fluid kits.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The XKCD Larper posted:

Get the v700 instead, the v750 is the same scanner except with a very badly designed fluid mounting platform and Silverfast. The price difference could probably get you one of the betterscanning fluid kits.

The V750 also has some different coating on the optics/glass. Not sure how much of a difference it makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
There has been some question in the film thread as to if it might be a problem with the camera so I'll be getting a professional scan done to make sure before I do anything else.

• Locked thread