Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Demon_Corsair posted:

Cool, thanks for the info.

I wish I had the $2600 for that coolscan. I realized after that I posted that I do have a few prints to scan, and I will probably be making more soonish. So my dreams of a dedicated scanner are gone.

I ended up grabbing the epson v500 as no one around seems to be selling the v600.

Since I'm not even sure where to start with scanning, it seemed like a good choice. Do I want to grab the inserts from betterscanning, or will I be ok with the default ones?

I have a V600 and the inserts are ok as long the film is flat. If there is and curve at all forget about it. I just ordered a betterscanning holder and built a film flattening rig out of some scrap wood hopefully between the two my problems should go away.

The first thing you should do though is get better scanning software, Epson Scan suuuucks. I went with Silverfast Ai after demoing bith that and Vuescan. Try them both see what works best for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Already Bored posted:

So if money is no object is the Nikon COOLSCAN 9000 ED what I should be ordering?

35mm and 120 here.

Well if money is know object Imacon Flextight is the way to go. If 20 grand is not in the budget then yes get a Coolscan 9000 and a glass holder.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

I used a V500 to digitize my mom's Kodachromes and got great results. Now I want to use it for my own stuff.

Two questions - first, anybody have any betterscanning.com stuff for the V500? More specifically, the 35mm ANR insert. Second - I've tried Silverfast and Vuescan and found Silverfast to be much closer to my needs; if you have Silverfast, which version do you have and why? Are there any features in the more expensive versions you wish you had? I'm currently looking at the SE Plus version for $100.

I have a V600 which is basically the same scanner. The betterscanning.com 120 holder is miles above the stock holder, I would definitely pick one up.

I hemmed and hawed and ended up buying Silverfast Ai. I don't think that SE has the expert dialog or 48bit output. I also liked that negafix has adjustable profiles in the Ai version.

This setup will last me a few years until I break down and buy a Coolscan or a V700.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

OJ.SImpson posted:

I have an Epson v700 and i am using the betterscanning holder,glass, and Silverfast- 2 questions:

1) How do people do scans of their film and still have the black film borders?

2) Is it always a pain in the rear end to get the color correct? Using negafix gets me kind of close, but even then the negative color looks muddy and the contrast is way off the prints. I can dial it in a bit but it takes forever and never looks as good as the print. It almost looks like i am scanning at a low bit-depth but i have it set to the 48->24bit setting. Am i missing something?

I just line up my negs so that I can scan the edges. Some people file down one frames worth of black borders. As for negafix it isn't perfect but I can generally get in the neighborhood and then just do a small curves adjustment in PS to remove any lingering color cast. You could always use the levels/curves dialogue in Silverfast to adjust contrast if you wanted to. I tend to scan them flat and adjust in PS since I need to sharpen the scans anyways.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

Well what scanner will they be using? Regardless, for 35mm a dedicated scanner beats a flatbed every time.

Truth.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm looking at getting an Epson V600, it's $20 more than the V500. The goal is to scan 35mm and 120 bw. Should I go ahead and order those better scanning holders? I'm planning on buying everything from Freestyle photo. Chemicals, scanner, film. Oh dear God I'm going to be more broke. Why is shooting MF so much drat fun?

Epson V600 with Silverfast Ai and a betterscanning holder is exactly what I use. I am very happy with my results. I plan to keep this set up until I can afford either a V750 or a Nikon Coolscan 9000.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I tried the demos and just plain liked Silverfast better. Vuescan seemed to have a weird way of setting the scan frame and no actual histogram to adjust.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Teen Jong-il posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on coping strategies for dealing with what a piece of poo poo silverfast is?

Learn the UI and you will hate it less. I like Silverfast but it is the very definition of non-intuitive.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Teen Jong-il posted:

Uuuuh, superior German application naming? :toot:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I really want a V700 but I am fairly happy with my V600 scans. I figure when it eventually dies then it will be time to update. It's not like my negs are going any where I can always rescan in the future.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I use a rocket blower as well as periodiv wipe downs of the glass with a microfiber clothe. To be safe I wipe at least the calibration area every other film stripe. A of the times I forget to do this (drunk scanning) I get hideous blue scanline artifacts.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

I've found a clean synthetic sock works well, and a lenspen works if there are any smudges.

Yeah but who has clean socks just laying around?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Miso Beno posted:

Ive asked this like seven times now but the Epson V600 is basically the best thing I can get without breaking the $200 barrier, right? (I'm assuming the V330 makes scanning film a pain making the V600 $100 better).

I have a v600 and it's not bad. It's worth mentioning that on low end scanners the price of the scanner is only one cost. To be happy with you scans you are gonna want a glass holder from betterscanning.com and maybe Vuescan or Silverfast. So budget another $100 to $200 for incidentals.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Miso Beno posted:

I take it TWAIN isn't going to cut it.

It's okay. Scanning software seems to be a huge personal preference. There are a few people in here that like Epson's stock software (not many), so it's worth trying out. Just don't be shocked if you hate it and immediately download demos for the other two options.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah there is not a very large market for midrange scanners these days. The money is in high end film stuff and low end "digitize your family photo album" stuff.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Inf posted:

I may take you up on that at some point. I have maybe 75 sheets of Ektachrome and Fuji RTPII to get started on. They all "expired" in 1998-2001, but they've been refrigerator stored since purchase in the early-mid 1990s. I'm hoping they're still in good shape.

I'm assuming a 48 bit tiff scan of a 4x5 would be ridiculously huge and out of the question? Most of the labs I've looked up have "absolutely not" in the faqs regarding any form of higher bit large format scans. It'd be cool to find a place that would ship me back such files on a DVD. I'm just thinking about the possibility of making very large prints after making adjustments in Lightroom.

Anyone have experience working with ridiculously huge file sizes in LR4? Does it crap out?

Probably depends on your specs. I have an i3 and 8gb of RAM in my laptop and LR3 would choke and die on 350mb files. I exclusively use PS for neg spotting. Please note I have not tested this with my newish SSD or LR4 so YMMV.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Buy a v700 don't look back.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

This is what I'd guess too, my Yashica D gets some pretty bad flare at times. A lens hood helps a lot though.

The D has a 3 element single coated lens so shooting into light is not a recommended practice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

XTimmy posted:

Thanks! Using a levels or curves control? Because I tried setting the black and white points for each channel in these and the end result is what you see in my post. Hard cyan highlights. I'm wondering if I'm just not playing enough.

What method do you use? Here's under five minutes of PS:

I used threshold to find the whitest and blackest points in the image, then dropped measuring points on those, then opened the info panel and curves layer, set the endpoints of the RGB curve so that the B&W points are all the same number give or take a couple of points, then a quick manual levels layer to increase contrast and boom done.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I use threshold because it's fast and I had no idea that "show clipping" even existed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I upgraded from a v600 to a v700 a few years ago and the 700 is head and shoulders above the 600.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

And of course the serious pros are using real film scanners, not a $100 flatbed. Or at the least they're buying the V700 or something.

There's solutions that could be done. But overall it's probably better for Epson just to let that 1% of their user base deal with it than to really solve it. There's still Betterscanning holders if you really want to spend $100 in improvements on a $100 scanner.

When I had a V600 and was shooting almost exclusively 120 the betterscanning holder was worth every penny of that extra $100.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah, uuuuuuh don't windex a scanner. For real.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I haven't bothered with a betterscanning holder for my v700 and I swore by it with the v600. I think the v700s 120 holders are slightly better at holding the film flatter. Not that I shot much 120 after getting the v700 and 4x5.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

The film has a crazy amount of relief in the surface, you can see when you hold it at an angle in the light. I was just glad I got to shoot a few rolls before it disappeared.

I have 5 rolls in my freezer that I didn't get a chance to shoot before Dwayne's shut down their K-14 line. (One of them is Kodachrome 25 :emo:)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't know if I'm just now noticing your av text or if it's new, but :golfclap:

There's an Aussie guy who did his own, apparently it's possible (just a massive PITA, if you're doing color) and the chemical patents and stuff are all available in the public domain. He was originally trained as a Kodachrome tech before it became obsolete and works in a pro lab, said it was definitely not something you could do in your kitchen and not worth the hassle to do commercially, even in small quantities.

edit: I was saving my lone roll of Kodachrome 25 for Halong Day. Naturally, my XA jammed halfway through it. Those things are nice but can be unreliable little shits, had the shutter die on another one.

Yeah, it's been my av since a mod challenge in 2012 :shrug:
I shot a bunch of Kodachrome in the early 00's but my photos were kinda bad back then (just like now) so I don't know if I have ever scanned any of them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Just don't believe the Max re solution clams of the v600 anything over a certain point is software interpolation.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

Well, my V600 managed to last almost exactly 6 months. Using this as an excuse to pick up a new scanner. Any reason to get the v850 over the v800 besides the extra film holders? Seems like the v800 is a much better deal.

I read somewhere the v850 has coated optics but not sure if it's BS or what. I have been considering picking up some v850 holders to use on my v700 because they are super cheap for adjustable AN glass insert holders.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Hexigrammus posted:

Windows 10?

rohan posted:

onto an MBP running 10.11.3.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

I wouldn't pay for color perfect if I had all the disposable income in the world. Dude has to hire a UI designer before I'll even touch that steaming pile. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just ugly, but it blatantly goes against just about every software UI convention that exists.

hi I'm silverfast, have we met?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VelociBacon posted:

So I've been scanning my 120 and have been very happy with the results I'm getting. I've been scanning at (I think) 600dpi for 10" on the long side then resizing down after correcting levels and such in PS. Someone wants a print of one of the scanned shots and the image I have is ~3700x2600 pixels. They're looking to print this around 36"x24" or so, possible a little smaller. They've been using a webapp from a reputable print shop and it's giving them some indication that the resolution of the file is appropriate for a 12"x9" print.

I'm guessing I should at this point scan at a higher DPI, or should I leave the DPI at 600 and scan for a larger image? I believe the epson v550 I'm using has a maximum optical resolution of 6400dpi but I know better than to scan at that. Thanks.

Epson's have a "real" resolution of roughly 2400dpi so imho the highest scanning res that's worth your time is 3200dpi. This will get you plenty pixels for a print of that size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VelociBacon posted:

Should I also be setting the output size of the scan to the desired size of the print? Thanks.

That shouldn't matter just the resolution of the file, just like with any digital image.

• Locked thread