Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

I posted in the gear thread posted:

In lieu of seriously thinning the herd so I can buy a 5D MkII I think I've decided to try my hand at scanning my 6x6 and 6x9 slides before I abandon all hope and drop $2k+ on a full frame digital setup. I know nothing about scanning but am now in the market for one.

Do I go flatbed, dedicated film scanner, what're the pros and cons? Are there nikon coolscan models (I hear they're great) that would do a 6x9 or are they limited to 6x7?

I'd like to spend $350 or less on a setup if that's possible. If something like the Epson V600 runs $200ish on a place like amazon, I figure that budget is certainly doable. What does spending more on a scanner actually get you, though?

To me the V600 looks like a better piece of kit than the V500, but the 500 costs more? Somebody in the gear thread suggested they'd buy a 500 over the 600 if they could, or they'd save for a 700.

Am I doing myself a serious disservice by limiting myself to around $350 or will I be just fine and I need to just suck it up?

I'm so lost when it comes to scanners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread