Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Desmond posted:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/dharma-alarm-clock.shtml I now want a Dharma alarm clock.

Re Star Wars, I'd like to see Michael Emerson as Grand Moff Tarkin :colbert:

That alarm clock is amazing. I suspect nobody from Lost will be in Star Wars because they are too well known, but then again, that was a George Lucas thing, and Lost is part of the ABC/Disney family so...maybe not. I would think a franchise like Star Wars would want to avoid the audience from reacting with "oh that's so and so from X".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dantu posted:

That alarm clock is amazing. I suspect nobody from Lost will be in Star Wars because they are too well known, but then again, that was a George Lucas thing, and Lost is part of the ABC/Disney family so...maybe not. I would think a franchise like Star Wars would want to avoid the audience from reacting with "oh that's so and so from X".

I think you're forgetting about Liam Neeson and Samuel L. Jackson in the prequels. Not that I can blame you for either.

Plus wasn't Ewan McGregor pretty well-known when he played Obi-Wan in the originals?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Idran posted:

I think you're forgetting about Liam Neeson and Samuel L. Jackson in the prequels. Not that I can blame you for either.

Plus wasn't Ewan McGregor pretty well-known when he played Obi-Wan in the originals?

Wow, that's pretty funny. I didn't do it on purpose, but you are correct, I completely forgot about the prequels. I suppose wanting unknowns is just Lucas-speak for we spent all our money on Alec Guinness.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
And you just made me realize that I somehow mixed up the names Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor in my head, and now I feel disappointed in myself.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Idran posted:

And you just made me realize that I somehow mixed up the names Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor in my head, and now I feel disappointed in myself.

I'm more disappointed in Ewan McGregor's post Star Wars career.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Idran posted:

The prequels can have a strong influence on the able-minded.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dantu posted:

I completely forgot about the prequels.
Tell me.

Tell me how.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Tell me.

Tell me how.

My brain just filed them in the same category as stuff like The Old Republic games and other stuff that just happens to be set in the Star Wars universe.

Personally I'd like to see Josh Holloway and Henry Ian Cusick get in the new films. Dominick Monaghan has publicly stated he wants to be in them. Time will tell I guess.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Tell me.

Tell me how.

Google the Machete Order. I'm on a phone so I don't have it handy, but it explains why why two of the prequels don't have to suck.

Basically, watch IV, V, II, III, then VI. File Episode I away with the Christmas Special.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Irish Joe posted:

I'm more disappointed in Ewan McGregor's post Star Wars career.

The Ghost Writer was pretty good, but that's about it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

Google the Machete Order. I'm on a phone so I don't have it handy, but it explains why why two of the prequels don't have to suck.

Basically, watch IV, V, II, III, then VI. File Episode I away with the Christmas Special.
http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

Very interesting. I might have to give this a try.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

On my first rewatch I've been enjoying catching all the little things that make sense knowing what's going to happen. Last night I think I found the first thing that doesn't make sense on a rewatch, Ethan walking into a trap alone to grab Claire. I was thinking they would have sent more Others for the job but then remembered I'm not supposed to know about them yet. Really enjoying the second go around.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Dantu posted:

On my first rewatch I've been enjoying catching all the little things that make sense knowing what's going to happen. Last night I think I found the first thing that doesn't make sense on a rewatch, Ethan walking into a trap alone to grab Claire. I was thinking they would have sent more Others for the job but then remembered I'm not supposed to know about them yet. Really enjoying the second go around.

The first season, and the Ethan arc, was so creepy.

I miss that sense of expectation of "what the gently caress is gonna happen next?!"

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
It's fun that Ethan died very early on yet appeared in three other seasons afterwards. I had so hoped for an Ethan call back in S6, like he's there repairing the plumbing in the background in Ben's fake world.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Man the Lost finale was one of the best finales ever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fast Luck posted:

Only if you were really paying attention.

Shame how even having a guy show up and overexplain that everything was real and actually happened still isn't enough for like, 75% of the people who watched the show.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Dantu posted:

I think I enjoyed the show more the second time around. I even liked the final season just a little more the second time around, and I grew an appreciation for the finale. Despite the inconsistencies, it is a lot of fun pointing out all of the little things that make total sense having watched the entire series.

I wonder what that poster who already knew how the series ended, but was watching the series for the first time, thought about it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fast Luck posted:

The final shot of the series being Jack's eye closing was PERFECT

Rinaldo
Nov 8, 2009

Pilli posted:

It's fun that Ethan died very early on yet appeared in three other seasons afterwards. I had so hoped for an Ethan call back in S6, like he's there repairing the plumbing in the background in Ben's fake world.

He was in season 6.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Macaluso posted:

The final shot of the series being Jack's eye closing was PERFECT

Yeah, it really was. Most TV series would be happy to have just one scene that was that perfect, such a combination of filming, acting, scoring, writing. Lost had a bunch of them and managed to close with one. I just started watching Game of Thrones, I like it, but it isn't affecting me like Lost did. Same with Breaking Bad. Great TV, but I never found myself yelling at my TV, or taking a vacation to the place where they filmed it.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Dantu posted:

I just started my first rewatch, 15 minutes in already spotting stuff I missed (like Kate rubbing her wrists in the first scene she is in). Also, I can't picture any other actor/actress in any of these roles.

E: Just upgraded to archives to read the episode thread for The Constant and it was just as :3: as I thought it would be.

You have reminded me of when people used to analyse frame-by-frame the opening of the show, and the black thing swooping down on the plane engine right as it blows up was found then had to be explained away as a CGI trigger or whatever and not a black smoke monster! Haha.

Imagine if Lost came out now, what with Tumblr being a haven for people creating animated gifs of things that happen in their favourite television shows, and to discuss them. It was bad enough for Lost when Lostpedia came along, along with all the dedicated message boards like The Tail Section and loads more, never mind the regular television forums like here, TVWP and the likes.

Even more saturation of every little thing in the show might have resulted in a) the show makers getting even more detailed as they know things will be picked apart even further scene by scene rather than the phenomena of over analysis springing up about the show, it'd exist before the show in this world and b) would the show have lasted as long if it was up to that kinda scrutiny from day 1?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were people recording the whispers and playing them backwards at different speeds to find out that they were voices describing what was happening on screen--because that was the filler they had people around the say when recording them, never guessing that anybody would mess with the audio enough to hear them.

There's also the DHARMA shark that had a dharma logo put on as a joke that got screenshotted and eventually had to be explained in the show. Guessing from how often Cuse and Lindeloff made passive-aggressive jokes about that shark on their podcast (for the entire run of the show), they never would have lasted closer scrutiny.

Do you really think that people dissect screenshots and .gifs more now than 6-7 years ago? I remember well the months of arguments that followed from two scenes where some framed photos were in different relative positions when Miles walked past them.

Really, I think that at least Lindeloff would have run away screaming if he knew what kind of fans he would attract. He seemed to really love the attention for a while, but listen to the commentary on the Season 4 finale when Cuse jokes about fans giving a "secret insider's sign" that they listened to the commentary by grabbing Lindeloff and kissing him. He sounds both panicked and furious as he considers the likelihood of it happening.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

There's also the DHARMA shark that had a dharma logo put on as a joke that got screenshotted and eventually had to be explained in the show. Guessing from how often Cuse and Lindeloff made passive-aggressive jokes about that shark on their podcast (for the entire run of the show), they never would have lasted closer scrutiny.

Was that a joke? I always thought it was one of the few examples of an actual easter egg that they had hoped would stay unnoticed for a while. (Though I have to say that when I was doing a rewatch recently with some friends that had honestly never seen the show before, one of them noticed the logo without any priming or freeze-framing, so joke or not I'm surprised they thought it wouldn't be noticed.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The official line was that the effects house did it as a joke thinking nobody would see it. If you look, the logo doesn't match any of the stations.

But this was when dharma logos were showing up everywhere, including the drum sets of musical guests on Jimmy Kimmel.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you really think that people dissect screenshots and .gifs more now than 6-7 years ago? I remember well the months of arguments that followed from two scenes where some framed photos were in different relative positions when Miles walked past them.

To be completely fair the fact that the photo changed from one picture frame to the next in a scene that has to do with ghost poo poo was a legitimate thing to bring up.

Obviously after the fact it was just sloppy production design, but still.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
For all the flack it may have gotten, How I Met Your Mother did a better job at mythology than Lost.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CaptainHollywood posted:

For all the flack it may have gotten, How I Met Your Mother did a better job at mythology than Lost.

If you mean the mother was dead the whole time, like how many people thought the characters were dead the whole time, then yes.

I've never watched the show (maybe an episode or two, laugh track, no thanks), so it was amusing to see the internet meltdown after the finale.

The fact that people are so upset about LOST's mythology being convoluted and not set in stone will forever be funny to me since mythology is largely multiple interpretations of a story that have been combined over time.

The goon (at least I think it was) who said after Across The Sea that LOST was giant game of telephone was the most accurate interpretation of the mythology and remains so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVSRqltKsU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

geeves posted:

If you mean the mother was dead the whole time, like how many people thought the characters were dead the whole time, then yes.

I've never watched the show (maybe an episode or two, laugh track, no thanks), so it was amusing to see the internet meltdown after the finale.

The fact that people are so upset about LOST's mythology being convoluted and not set in stone will forever be funny to me since mythology is largely multiple interpretations of a story that have been combined over time.

The goon (at least I think it was) who said after Across The Sea that LOST was giant game of telephone was the most accurate interpretation of the mythology and remains so.

No actually, that's not what I meant. The show did a lot of seed planting in the early seasons for jokes and characters to be brought up and paid off later. (even if the later seasons weren't as funny, it's still admirable)

Ironically How I Met Your Mother suffered the opposite fate of Lost, where they had a specific endgame for 7+ years, but unfortunately by the time it got there it didn't make much sense. It really proved that having a "final goal" is not necessarily the answer. The characters on Mother evolved, and the ending really took away that evolution. Even though Lost's ending wasn't planned from the beginning per se- it made sense evolution-wise for the characters.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looks like no Lost cast members made it into Star Wars.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Dantu posted:

Looks like no Lost cast members made it into Star Wars.

Yet! There's two more in the new trilogy.

Everyone knows that Jacob is the god of the Force, soooo

e: This version of Jacob & MIB will turn out as the new Jedi vs. Sith conflict of Eps 7-9, but we won't meet them until half way through Ep 9.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone have a link to those Lost reenactments that someone was doing after some of the episodes in season 6? I'm specifically looking for the one with Faraday where he has his dream and writes math in the notebook. Not just any math, but "the MOST math." I've tried searching YouTube, but only come up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtxlzmGb9Ck

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I was just sharing that video with some friends who finished the series for the first time last week; one of my favorites. :)

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObKv--fLnmA

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just rewatching all the series. Got to season 2, and I'm seriously questioning myself how I was able to suffer through Michelle Rodriguez.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgoTWDXVVY

Never forget.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I get Lost nostalgia around summer.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I get Lost nostalgia around summer.

It's not just me, then? I had an abrupt urge to change my desktop wallpaper to a Lost themed one only an hour ago.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just rewatching all the series. Got to season 2, and I'm seriously questioning myself how I was able to suffer through Michelle Rodriguez.

Oh god, Anna-Lulu. I found her more palatable upon rewatch. Not sure if it's whether I knew beforehand how obnoxious she was going to be or whether her taking a bullet at the end of the season erased most of her abrasive qualities.

Shannon had the same effect, too. Except not Maggie Grace, contrary to Rodriguez, just the character. Now, I find her story so tragic that it's impossible to get irritated at all by her.

We need a neck and the veins sticking out of it.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
My wife just started watching it on Netflix for the second time. The first season is legitimately as good as anything that's ever been on TV. After a while it started to get so deep into its own business that it lost some of its effect (on rewatch anyway, the first time through i was all about it.)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

IMB posted:

My wife just started watching it on Netflix for the second time. The first season is legitimately as good as anything that's ever been on TV. After a while it started to get so deep into its own business that it lost some of its effect (on rewatch anyway, the first time through i was all about it.)

People like to say, "the show was all about the mythology etc" - but while that was a great hook, people returned every week because it was the cast and characters that really shined. Almost everyone on the show has been- and will be remembered- for their character from Lost.

That first season really set a precedent in terms of characters. The reason Lost clones failed was because NONE of them had such a great cast. You can have 5 seasons plotted out, but if your characters/actors are uninteresting it won't matter. Unfortunately Lost had the problem of having almost nothing planned out- but a great group of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It had probably THE best pilot I've ever seen for a TV show. That fucker hooked me like a fish, regardless of your opinions on Abrams, he made one hell of a start.

• Locked thread