Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Ravane posted:

Hey guys, I'm on season 3, episode 15 "left behind".

This is my first watch.

Could anyone explain to me why the smoke monster, which can fly, can't go through the sonic barrier? Because Locke et al. entered by climbing over the barrier, one could only presume that the smoke monster, which can fly, would not be deterred by it either.

I think Smokey could've gotten through / over / under the barrier if he wanted. However, it's useful for his agenda to give Dharma, the Others and the castaways the illusion of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

birdlaw posted:

I think Smokey could've gotten through / over / under the barrier if he wanted. However, it's useful for his agenda to give Dharma, the Others and the castaways the illusion of control.

I was under the impression that the smoke monster was a security device created by the Dharma initiative. I just assumed it wasn't highly intelligent.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ravane posted:

I was under the impression that the smoke monster was a security device created by the Dharma initiative. I just assumed it wasn't highly intelligent.
It gets fleshed out more in the later seasons.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Urdnot Fire posted:

It gets fleshed out more in the later seasons.

:rimshot:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I was skeptical myself, but it was actually very fun, and sometimes enlightening (i.e. picking up stuff I missed before). You probably need to have watched the whole thing at least twice to really get a lot out of it, though.

Challenge accepted. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned an annual summer rewatch and I think I am going to adopt that tradition.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
got a question, since I'm almost finished my chronological re-watch; why did john locke, when he gets off the island, believe widmore?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Locke is.. not very smart.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Locke's whole arc is about having too much faith. Jack's whole arc is about not having enough.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ah so i didn't miss anything.

I know Locke is a dense badtard who gets conned at every turn but I still find it surprising that he's tricked so easily but Chuck Dub. I guess the fact that Widmore's goals and John's goals matched.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ok here's another; when the ajira flight crashed, Frank, Sun, Illana, Dem (or whatever the fat gun man is called), Ben and FakeLocke (along with other misc survivors like Caesar) land in 2007 while Sayid, Kate & Jack land in 1977, right?

was it explained why they got separated? or how?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm guessing:
1) Only the candidates were sent back in time, which means that Jin was the Kwan on Jacob's wall, or
2) Jin never would have went along with Jack's idiotic bomb plan if Sun were in the past with him, so Jacob (ie the writers) didn't send her back.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Is there any data on what percentage of LOST watchers have actually seen the whole show? I'd imagine it's a fairly small fraction.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

ok here's another; when the ajira flight crashed, Frank, Sun, Illana, Dem (or whatever the fat gun man is called), Ben and FakeLocke (along with other misc survivors like Caesar) land in 2007 while Sayid, Kate & Jack land in 1977, right?

was it explained why they got separated? or how?

No, and it'd be a pretty glaring example of authorial fiat even if it was explained. Sun and Jin have to separated because the writer's don't have anything for those characters to really do but explore the drama of being separated, and Ben and "Locke" have to have their present day confrontation with Jacob. Iliana and Caesar are there to flesh out Jacob and Widmore respectively, but are killed off because of various production reasons. Everyone else goes back to the past.

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008
The candidates were sent back in time with the other candidates, non-candidates sent to present.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Another question why is Kate constantly in flares

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
in season 6, we never see Desmond's capture, that brings him to the island at Widmore's demand. This is weird as it's quite an important piece of the puzzle. did I miss something? 

Also, as I grow to the conclusion, it strikes me just how excellent this TV was. when they leave the Jack/Kate/Sawyer shite, it's brilliant. messy at times but brilliant.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He was in hospital right before that, they probably just went to the hospital, bribed some staff and wheeled him out.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Today I learned that Francois Chau, the actor who played Dr. Pierre Chang/Marvin Candle/etc. also played Shredder in the original two TMNT movies. Random, and strange to me for some reason.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Merauder posted:

Today I learned that Francois Chau, the actor who played Dr. Pierre Chang/Marvin Candle/etc. also played Shredder in the original two TMNT movies. Random, and strange to me for some reason.

:stare:

Thank you, now I finally know where I recognized him from.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I'm guessing:
1) Only the candidates were sent back in time, which means that Jin was the Kwan on Jacob's wall, or
2) Jin never would have went along with Jack's idiotic bomb plan if Sun were in the past with him, so Jacob (ie the writers) didn't send her back.

Paper thin justification for option 1, Jacob crossed Kate off the wall because she became a mother, and Sun became a mother, but Kate...who the gently caress am I kidding, it was the writers.

ICHIBAHN posted:

in season 6, we never see Desmond's capture, that brings him to the island at Widmore's demand. This is weird as it's quite an important piece of the puzzle. did I miss something?

Also, as I grow to the conclusion, it strikes me just how excellent this TV was. when they leave the Jack/Kate/Sawyer shite, it's brilliant. messy at times but brilliant.

If we saw Desmond's capture it would have taken the mystery out of what/who was in the locked compartment on the submarine, ie WHIDMORE'S SECRET WEAPON. After we knew it was him, it was pretty irrelevant given how much story they had tell in the last few episodes.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 3, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
let's talk about the finale.

I've just finished watched the chronological edit of the full show. I loved it. loved it all, largely. yes I hated the Kate / Jack / Sawyer bullshit but that aside (and some of the cartoony acting / scenarios), fantastic throughout.

The final episode satisfied me entirely. I watched the show when it originally aired but I can't remember my reaction to it. I don't think I fully appreciated the final episode. different now maybe with the addition of time and having watched it chronologically.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

I've just finished watched the chronological edit of the full show. I loved it. loved it all, largely. yes I hated the Kate / Jack / Sawyer bullshit but that aside (and some of the cartoony acting / scenarios), fantastic throughout.

The final episode satisfied me entirely. I watched the show when it originally aired but I can't remember my reaction to it. I don't think I fully appreciated the final episode. different now maybe with the addition of time and having watched it chronologically.

I loved the finale. I thought it was ballsy, well put together and, as you said, immensely satisfying. The characters remembering their time on the island was a great way to have some really enjoyable montages set to Michael Giacchino's masterful score in way that actually fit with the story. Very creative. The second time I watched it I realized that I would probably have to put "The End" in my top 5 episodes for the entire series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Merauder posted:

He and Will Smith's Uncle Phil are members of the same strange fraternity.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's your opinion of the chronological edit? I have the site bookmarked and I'm just trying to find the time to sit down and lose my mind over this series again. I actually just finished this series for the first time a few months ago. I managed to somehow stay spoiler free for years and years. All I knew coming in were random things like the names of the lead characters, there's a polar bear and a smoke monster, something called the Dharma Initiative, and a string of numbers. And... holy poo poo, I loved it. It's been a little rough on my friends because for a while I've been saying "Hey, I just watched Lost. You guys wanna talk about it?" "Lost? Didn't that show end, like, four years ago?"

Jack Gladney posted:

He and Will Smith's Uncle Phil are members of the same strange fraternity.

Any excuse to post this:

http://youtu.be/pjfPySu-Tlk?list=FLRz4Err3IM93Ub7h1puNwsQ

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

What's your opinion of the chronological edit? I have the site bookmarked and I'm just trying to find the time to sit down and lose my mind over this series again. I actually just finished this series for the first time a few months ago. I managed to somehow stay spoiler free for years and years. All I knew coming in were random things like the names of the lead characters, there's a polar bear and a smoke monster, something called the Dharma Initiative, and a string of numbers. And... holy poo poo, I loved it. It's been a little rough on my friends because for a while I've been saying "Hey, I just watched Lost. You guys wanna talk about it?" "Lost? Didn't that show end, like, four years ago?"

Pretty funny, I can relate because I was in the same boat. Never saw any of the show until last summer and somehow didn't have anything major spoiled except randomly during my first watch of Season 1 someone posted on Facebook after if a certain GoT event was similar in impact to Charlie drowning. It's like stepping out of suspended animation from 2010.

I would recommend a regular rewatch if you've only seen it once. There's so many great little things that you pickup on, the second time really is as good as the first as is, without skipping around. Save the chronological for when you are looking for an excuse to watch it again later on.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like the chronological edit. It answers some questions (or eliminates them as "mysteries that need an answer") right away but introduces a bunch of new ones by kicking off with some weird group of people travelling randomly in time. It doesn't really work that well with the afterlife bits though. I watched the island stuff up to the penultimate episode, then most of the afterlife stuff, then watched the actual finale.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!
What I liked most about Chronologically Lost was that some of the early season episodes that I remembered as not being particularly good (generally due to flashbacks) were better split apart. The total length of time for all the flashbacks in an episode isn't that long so it was easier to just sit through it all in a row. And sometimes they'd be cut together with other flashbacks going on at the same time. Then the on-island stuff would just run straight through without being "tainted" by the poorer quality flashback scenes.

I mean, it's not that there's much wrong with the way the show was made. It's just that after seeing all six seasons I give less of a poo poo about, say, Kate robbing a bank or Charlie vomiting in a photocopier. It's nice to be able to watch it a different way.

And it's always very amusing to imagine somebody watching Lost for the first time in this manner. Their introduction to Sawyer would be as some guy holding onto a rope that's buried in the ground with all his might.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah it's excellent. only issue is when you're in the midst of a lovely bit, either flash back or on island, you're there until it's done. no cut away. quite annoying if you're sick of seeing Runaway Kate or sick of watching everyone turn on everyone while taking everyone hostage and walking everyone to a new special place.

overall. brilliant.

the ending worked well too with the flash sideways tucked away at the and.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I watched chronologically starting with the island stuff. I think that's a good way to go if you're familiar with the characters.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Dantu posted:

I would recommend a regular rewatch if you've only seen it once.

I said it earlier, but this. You will get more out of a first rewatch in broadcast order than you would in chronological order. Furthermore, you'll get more out of the chronological order than you would have had without a broadcast order rewatch first.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
How do they handle the time travel in season 5 in the chronological edit? Is that placed by the best estimate of when they were or is it done chronologically from the character perspective?

I've also been rewatching Lost again and I'm onto the second season. I think this is the third time I've rewatched Lost and it's holding up much better than I expected. Personally, with Lost I start to lose faith in it after a while of not watching it due to all the naysayers and some of the weaker aspects that people often bring up but as soon as I start watching it again I'm back on its side. I have to say, I find the first season less enjoyable to watch these days because there is a lot of filler-y episodes or episodes with characters who just don't matter by the end of the show (Boone, Shannon) and Claire's amnesia is just awful, but mostly it's pretty excellent (Locke coming out on the wheelchair is still one of my favourite moments in television ever). I'm most excited for Desmond, Juliet and Season 5, which are my favourite parts of the show so that perhaps contributes to my lack of love of the first season.

Also, god drat I've missed the hatch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

HHammond posted:

How do they handle the time travel in season 5 in the chronological edit? Is that placed by the best estimate of when they were or is it done chronologically from the character perspective?

Well you see Desmond's past stuff first (obviously) and any time that he would have transported back to the present time on the island, you get a brief black screen. Vice versa when he's doing that present day. He does get knocked out when this happens so it's not too weird.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

HHammond posted:

Also, god drat I've missed the hatch.

Me too. One of my "go to sleep" scenarios is living down in the hatch, all by myself - like Desmond - and entering the code, yet also trying to live. It's tiring.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

HHammond posted:

best estimate, but I can't remember any that seemed out of place. It's one of the things that makes the early show so interesting in the chronological edit, because your first introduction to the characters is as this weird group of messed up time travelers.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what the heck is a 'go to sleep' scenario.

anyway, I found the time travel bit of Chronologically Lost confusing but I just closed my eyes and ignored it until it got to a bit I recognized.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Personally I'd prefer it not in chronological order but in causological order (or at least, the order of the perspective of the main characters).

So we see things in the past from the existing islander's perspectives only, then see the main characters' flashbacks, then have the main characters arrive at the island and leave it again, and then on their return show the full extent of what they did in the past, until they return to the present with the white flash, then show the remainder.

Obviously it'd be hard to construct the narrative of the past the first time, so perhaps you'd focus on Ben's story and flashcut through a lot of it. But I think it'd be fun to keep some of that as a mystery - SOMEONE shot Ben! SOMEONES caused the incident! - until we eventually send our guys back and fill in the blanks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EddieDean posted:

Personally I'd prefer it not in chronological order but in causological order (or at least, the order of the perspective of the main characters).

I always assumed that was what Chronological Lost was, but instead it's just some loving sperg lining things up on a calender.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I always assumed that was what Chronological Lost was, but instead it's just some loving sperg lining things up on a calender.

Agreed, that's why I think 'causological' is such a good word. A causological time travel show would still make sense for a new viewer, whereas watching lost chronologically on your first viewing would be a mess.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

EddieDean posted:

Agreed, that's why I think 'causological' is such a good word. A causological time travel show would still make sense for a new viewer, whereas watching lost chronologically on your first viewing would be a mess.
Didn't the guy who made Chronologically Lost say that under no circumstances should it be watched by someone who hasn't seen the show before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

ICHIBAHN posted:

what the heck is a 'go to sleep' scenario.

Scenarios you run through your head when trying to go to sleep. Like counting sheep but more involved.

The Hatch is cool because it's so contained and you can think about the myriad of trivial details that bore you to sleep.

Remember when we first met Desmond? It was a montage of him doing a bunch of normal domestic stuff like washing the dishes.

• Locked thread