Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What's funny about it to me is that it was the third time they delivered that baby in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I thought it was way funnier that Ben remembered by getting the poo poo beat out of him.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I never really understood why everyone immediately understood what was happening to them (that they were in a sorta-afterlife), even if they suddenly remembered what happened on the island and how they died. I'd be a little freaked out and would probably think that I was dreaming or in a coma or something.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dantu posted:

I thought it was way funnier that Ben remembered by getting the poo poo beat out of him.
I still remember someone in the livethread five years ago going "Jack will be incredibly wrong about something and then flash."

Also "AN ACTUAL CORK, gently caress ME!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I still remember someone in the livethread five years ago going "Jack will be incredibly wrong about something and then flash."

Also "AN ACTUAL CORK, gently caress ME!"

The live threads for LOST's finales are really funny. If you have archives and want to check them out...

here's the series finale right when Christian shows up to Jack in the afterlife:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3307865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=89

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Darlton will be killed by sunrise.

I used to have more bookmarked, but I've lost them. The season three finale is funny too though

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 24, 2015

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I love looking at the old threads. Good stuff.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

The live threads for LOST's finales are really funny. If you have archives and want to check them out...

here's the series finale right when Christian shows up to Jack in the afterlife:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3307865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=89

I used to have more bookmarked, but I've lost them. The season three finale is funny too though
All the old threads are organized in the OP.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Best old thread was the one where they aired the pilot right before the finale and everyone posted like it was 2004 and they'd never seen the show before.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The series finale thread owns if only because it introduced me to One Hundred Years of Solitude, which is cool as hell and the best book.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Anyone catch Lindelof on Talking Dead? He talked a little about killing off characters, Charlie in particular. He seems like a really insightful, cool dude.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Nope, but going to watch it tonight now that I know he appeared!

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Bit of a necro on this thread... Took the family to Oahu for the holidays and we did a guided tour of a bunch of Lost shooting locations as well as other TV shows/movies. This is Kualoa Ranch and the hill they pushed the Dharma van down in "Tricia Tanaka is Dead". (easily the best episode of the series imo)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

mincedgarlic posted:

Bit of a necro on this thread... Took the family to Oahu for the holidays and we did a guided tour of a bunch of Lost shooting locations as well as other TV shows/movies. This is Kualoa Ranch and the hill they pushed the Dharma van down in "Tricia Tanaka is Dead". (easily the best episode of the series imo)

KOS Tours? I've done tours with them both times I was in Oahu. Great folks and it the BEST way to see Kualoa Ranch. I pitied the people driving past on the school bus or the 4 wheelers.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Doing a re-watch with the missus, and we are nearing the end of season 2 (Michael just shot Libby and AL). I haven't watched this show in probably 5 or 6 years, but it's blowing my mind how much stuff they did in these first two seasons that they either ignored or changed drastically without much/any explanation.

I don't want to ask someone to post an essay about it, but is there anywhere I can read about what they originally planned back then or why they changed things they did (Walt's story/importance for starters, but even things like Libby being a patient with Hurley then killing her two episodes later)?

It's great fun watching the show again, but there are parts that remind me how frustrated I got with it my first time through.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Walt leaving the show more or less was just because of how fast the actor was aging. Or at least that was the rumor I heard for the longest time.

I dunno how much sense that even makes since "The magic of the Island made him grow faster" would have been the easiest justification in the world to use to explain it away if they wanted to keep him on.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Doing a re-watch with the missus, and we are nearing the end of season 2 (Michael just shot Libby and AL). I haven't watched this show in probably 5 or 6 years, but it's blowing my mind how much stuff they did in these first two seasons that they either ignored or changed drastically without much/any explanation.

I don't want to ask someone to post an essay about it, but is there anywhere I can read about what they originally planned back then or why they changed things they did (Walt's story/importance for starters, but even things like Libby being a patient with Hurley then killing her two episodes later)?

It's great fun watching the show again, but there are parts that remind me how frustrated I got with it my first time through.

There's this huge essay that a Season 1-3 writer wrote about the writing process for the first few season and what sort of things they had outlined. It's huge though and in a really weird format:

http://okbjgm.weebly.com/lost

Here's a random quote I pulled out of it:

quote:

During these sessions -- which began on February 24th of 2004, exactly one day before Damon and JJ finished writing their very first draft of the pilot -- a lot of the ideas that became the show’s mythology and format were discussed, pitched, and put into play for what would eventually become the series. Also, to be fair, more often than not, we were paving the way for the good ideas by coming up with a lot of bad ones. Very bad ones. On the first day alone, Damon downloaded on us the notion that the island was a nexus of conflict between good and evil: an uncharted and unchartable place with a mysterious force at its core that called humanity to it to play out a primal contest between light and dark.

In that meeting -- we had an assistant taking the notes I am consulting as I write this -- Damon also pitched out the idea of “The Medusa Corporation” a Rand Corporation-like entity that knew the nature of the island and had thus chosen it as a place in which to perform a series of behavior modification experiments in a series of scientific stations... and who had brought the polar bears in for these experiments. The reason The Medusa Corporation was performing these experiments was that they had stumbled on an equation -- much like the famed Drake equation, popularized by Carl Sagan in Cosmos and used to estimate the number of discoverable worlds holding life in the universe -- which predicted the end of the world. By performing experiments in a place they knew as a crucible for extremes of human behavior -- some of those experiments involving behavioral modification on polar bears -- Medusa hoped to change humanity and avoid an impending armageddon. Among the other core notions that came up on this very first day were the idea of the hatch (more about that in a moment), and the notion that Locke was a warped, frustrated man whose mystical experience as a result of the plane crash had brought him to see himself as an enlightened figure whose destiny was to be revealed on the island. The exact nature of his mystical experience, however, would not be decided until much, much later. These ideas were in the DNA of Lost from jump street and were presented

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kingtheninja posted:

Walt, like Hurley, Desmond, and Miles just had a gift. They didn't get super into it and wrote him out of the show, and instead focused on his relationship with Michael.

Libby was in the institution because she was grieving her late husband, Dave(who Hurley saw as a ghost in the mental hospital, but thought was a hallucination, and who he saw as the man in black on the island). Libby sold her late husband's ship the "Elisabeth" to Desmond, which he used to get to the island, and is what Kelvin and eventually the man in black tried to use to escape it. In the flash sideways, Libby helps Hurley remember their life and who he was.

Lost isn't really a mystery show with clean, cheap, satisfying answers with tons of exposition like the mainstream wants it to be. Its a drama with christian overtones about people being put into confusing and emotionally difficult situations and the life lessons they learn from it. And they happen with and without a strange island.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Ausmund posted:

Lost isn't really a mystery show with clean, cheap, satisfying answers with tons of exposition like the mainstream wants it to be. Its a drama with christian overtones about people being put into confusing and emotionally difficult situations and the life lessons they learn from it. And they happen with and without a strange island.
I like that it that it did not have easy answers. It was an original interactive show with a mouthpiece for the audience (Hurley) and with tons and tons of fans and blogs with elaborate theories. It was fun to watch and fun to see others' theories and see how the writers reacted to the audience.

I wouldn't say it had Christian overtones but that it recognized religion as part of human culture, and not just Christian religion. That is clear if you realize the final church includes multiple denominations. There's also a host of reference to early Egyptian ideology, among others.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

There's this huge essay that a Season 1-3 writer wrote about the writing process for the first few season and what sort of things they had outlined. It's huge though and in a really weird format:

http://okbjgm.weebly.com/lost

This is fun.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
You can get away from the weird format and just download it here:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/294771790/Untitled?secret_password=GDSAdwvBFH4ATBVgJpA7

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cool, the script for All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues is a downloadable PDF on his website.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was Libby caught up in the "got in trouble with the law" thing like the hispanic girl? I think I remember the actress that played the cop ironically got a DUI and they killed her off.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Was Libby caught up in the "got in trouble with the law" thing like the hispanic girl? I think I remember the actress that played the cop ironically got a DUI and they killed her off.

The tour guide I had said that Libby got a DUI also and that's why they popped her too. Also, they got rid of Mr. Ecko well before they wanted to because the actor was miserable on Hawaii.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, she was. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/lost-girls-arrested-dui

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Breaking Bad thread referenced the idea of Lost imitator/ripoffs. What are some of them and are any of them good?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The Event was one, everyone in the world passes out for a minute and sees their future or something. Another one was called The River or The Bank. There were quite a few shows looking to capture LOST's success and they were all adequate as TV shows go, but just because they had LOST's budget didn't make them any good. I'm positive that "Under the Dome" would have been a mini-series instead of a weekly show if it wasn't for LOST.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I guess I am confusing The Event with Flashforward, probably not a good sign for either show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was also that one about a bank robbery where they would reveal slightly more about what happened each episode.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I actually really enjoyed Flashforward and was sad it didn't get renewed. Some of the acting was pretty rough, but the story was pretty fascinating and the first season ended with a big cliffhanger that I'd loved to have seen followed up on.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jack Gladney posted:

There was also that one about a bank robbery where they would reveal slightly more about what happened each episode.

The Nine. The problem was that the robbery flashbacks were the only interesting part, and they weren't that interesting. The rest was just a weak character drama.

They also had that Six Degrees show where everyone was connected, except... the rest was just a weak character drama.

Then there was the trilogy of alien serials that came out around the same time: Invasion, Surface, and Threshold. Each had their ups and downs but were clearly cashing in on Lost's success as a mystical sci-fi serial.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just came across the Cut Epilogue with Ben and Hurley driving around shutting down Dharma factories. Was pretty cool except for the ridiculous explanation of the bird the says Hurley's name in season 2.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Breaking Bad thread referenced the idea of Lost imitator/ripoffs. What are some of them and are any of them good?
Although not an imitator or ripoff, I would recommend the anime show Paranoia Agent as it's character centric episodes, show mythology, and how it encapsulates their problems are very very similar to Lost. Also the HBO shows Carnivale and The Leftovers(co created by Lindelof from Lost)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Paranoia Agent is pretty great. I highly recommend it: it's one of the most cinematic things ever created for television.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Paranoia Agent is pretty great. I highly recommend it: it's one of the most cinematic things ever created for television.
Whoa, cool!

'Wikipedia" posted:

Paranoia Agent (妄想代理人 Mōsō Dairinin?) is a Japanese anime television series
God drat it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Literally the post above mine told you that much.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Literally the post above mine told you that much.

Yeah but I needed to be snarky about anime

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
e: I can't read

I've had a few anime friends who finished Lost and compared its story progression and character development to anime so I guess it makes sense.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 13, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

e: I can't read

I've had a few anime friends who finished Lost and compared its story progression and character development to anime so I guess it makes sense.

With Paranoia Agent specifically, it's a lot like Season 1 Lost where each episode focuses on a specific character, their problems resurfacing, and how they then react to some crazy supernatural stuff impending on them. Going from character story to character story also progresses a larger, main plot. It's also only like 13 or so episodes long, so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Thematically, Paranoia Agent comes to fairly different conclusions than Lost though- it would view something like the Flashsideways in a very suspicious and negative light, for example.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Everyone should be watching The Leftovers. It is the spiritual sequel to Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Everyone should be watching The Leftovers. It is the spiritual sequel to Lost.

I've started watching it. I don't know that I've ever seen it specifically mentioned in the "you should watch 'The Leftovers' right now" talk, but what has really stood out to me is the musical score. Wow.

• Locked thread