Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Robotnik DDS posted:

They did say some people scattered into the jungle after the mortar attacks. I don't care about Cindy in particular, but I like to think the kids are living a nice new life under the Hurley regime or even going home for that matter.

They could be dead from mortar strikes, or Smokey may have killed them after they served their purpose - which was to convince the candidates that he wasn't trying to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Thenipwax posted:

I don't understand why Jacob, who thinks men are inherently good, orders his others (Dogen & Lenon) to kill anybody that isn't on his list. That doesn't seem like a hands off approach to observing whether man is evil at heart. Seems like obvious interference.

I think it's more likely that Jacob gives Richard some names and tells him that these people are good or special.

Richard goes to the leader of the others and tells them "these people are special."

The Others go "Jacob wants us to protect these guys. The people who are not on this list, well they're hosed because it's our duty to protect the island. We're the good guys, after all."

It is interesting to not that the Others under Ben's leadership did initially try to retrieve their marks without killing. The tail survivors drew the first blood, and Jack persisted after Ethan tried to warn him off.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

That bird was pretty weird though.

And why can I not remember Annie?

Annie was kid-ben's girly friend.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Cellophane S posted:

How come Desmond was suddenly able to predict people's deaths in season 3 or whenever it was?

Magic. The swan implosion doused Desmond with exotic time particles or something.

Or my alternative explanation is that his 'reliving his life' he experienced in Flashes Before Your Eyes was a personal form of the purgatory-existence that the survivors go through in season 6. Desmond didn't actually travel to the past and relive his life and meet Eloise, it was all an out of mind/out of time experience. This close exposure to the afterlife made him sensitive to other people's deaths.

Ravel posted:

Desmond's powers do not come from the Failsafe. He has them before, but they only manifest in that way after the Hatch implosion.

Need a source on this. Demonstrate one time that Desmond has shown precognitive or time travelling abilities prior to the hatch implosion that isn't a result of his future mind swapping places with his past self.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Cellophane S posted:

Oh, was there ever any gap-filling re: Libby being in the insane asylum, offering Desmond the boat and then showing up on the island?

Libby was in an insane asylum because she was distraught at the death of her husband.

Later, after she got out, she bumped into Desmond in a coffee shop, and after hearing that he wanted to sail around the world, she gave him her dead husband's boat, maybe as a means of finally letting go.

And she was on the island because she went to Australia and was heading back to LAX.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Her family threw her in the insane asylum when she gave away the boat to some guy she met in a coffee shop. She manged to get out and went on a vacation to Australia.

I like this version too.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I have a few problems with the "The nuke created the purgatory universe for them" theory.

Why would Jack and the others bring along people like Ben, Farady, Eloise. Keamy and others into their fantasy universe? Why would some of these people (Eloise and Farady, in particular) seem to be seeking their own peace/solace independent of the Oceanic survivors?

Does Jack actually think that if the plane hadn't crashed on the island, he would have been married to Juliet and had a son over a decade before even getting on that plane?

Would this be implying that only people who travel back in time and set off nukes get to go through this spiritual cleansing after death process?

The way I see it, there are a few possibilities for the LA X universe going by what we are shown in the show
1) It was created by the island (whether due to the bomb or not)
Doesn't seem too far fetched, the island is very magical, Jacob's abilities seem to defy any sort of classification and understanding. We've seen time travel, healing cancer and restoring ruined limbs, ghosts and other properties. That's one shared attribute that's common to everyone the sideways has focused on. Due to them being on the island, they influenced it, it responded to their thoughts and this after-life was created for them due to their combined experiences and needs.

2) It was created by Hurley/Jack. They both served as protectors to the Island. Presumably they have access to all sorts of special abilities like Jacob and Smokey did. The major point against this is that Jacob told Richard that he can't grant him redemption, which seems to be exactly what happens in LA X. Then again, Jacob was wrong about many things. So Hurley could have used his island magic to create Hurleyverse as a chance for everyone to be happy.

3) It's something that happens to (almost) everyone. When you die, you get your own pocket reality shared with those that were the most important people in your life, where you get to relive aspects of your life and try to resolve your hangups before moving on.

I personally am most comfortable with #3. I think things like the afterlife should be consistent throughout the entire setting, not something that only a few people get to go through.

The Saddest Robot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 28, 2010

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Ben may not have known about Swan, or where it was at least. They probably knew of it's existence due to the monitors in the Pearl station but not where it was on the island.

Swan was like super top secret. Orchid was pretty secret too, publicly it was a greenhouse but to the people in the know it had that whole secret underground bit with a time machine. Only people working there knew about that. Swan was like that but even more hush hush since it's location was in violation of their treaty with the Others.

There probably wasn't any information on it in Dharmaville, where it was, what it did. Ben probably thought it was ultimately harmless and pointless, like the polar bears and teleporting bunnies a few milliseconds into the future.

And I presume that the reason the failsafe wasn't used was that it wasn't known if it would be reliable or not. Think of it like the blowout valves on well in the gulf. Something went wrong, they have this release of energy. They can control it a little bit by shooting dispersants into it every 108 minutes. Ideally they'll want to safely seal the whole thing off but due to it's nature and inacessibility that's a very challenging task. They have a failsafe device in there but they don't know if it will work, and if it doesn't work it could make things super-worse. So they keep pushing the button while they try to figure out what else to do, the failsafe is the last, last resort if everything goes sour before they figure out a better way.

Then everyone's killed and people are stuck pushing the button with no relief on the way and even the button pushers don't know what's going on at this point.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Sawyer's major hangup that he needed to get over in the afterlife was that he didn't sleep with Charlotte. Which is understandable, she's a hottie.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Not sure where the season 2 premier "Man of Science, Man of Faith" should fit in, but it should definitely be in the top 10.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > LOST Postmortem - "You can let go of your stupid theories now."

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Ormi posted:

Electromagnetism is just the term DHARMA used to describe it; from a scientific viewpoint it's about as precise a descriptor as "stuff". If you remember how Desmond reacted after he uncorked The Source, you have a big hint as to what it really is:

As Mother said, it seems accurate to say it may be the source of life, death, and rebirth ("purgatory").

By the logic displayed in that picture, every light bulb is full of life.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Steve Higginson posted:

I know some people don't like the following answer, but since WHH turned out to hold, I like it.

Why did only Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid disappear from flight 316? Because only Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid appeared on the island in 1977.

The "reason" for why those four travelled is like the compass that passes between Locke and Richard: it has no origin.

It's either Jacob did it or It just is, dude.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Leyburn posted:

Desmond wouldn't want to live in an alternative reality where he and Penny had only just met, unless he doesn't give a poo poo about his (very real) son.

Why not? He just met and he has everything else he's ever wanted. So now he has every-everything he's ever wanted. He can always knock out another kid assuming his relationship with his true love doesn't go bad.

It's the choice between
a) You have the love of your life and your kid, but her father hates you, you spend years in prison for desertion, get stuck on an magic island where lots of people die and then when you're finally free and have a kid, he kidnaps you and brings you back to this cursed island.

or

b) You have a great job, the admiration and respect of your boss (who is the father of your true love) and now you've met the person you know to be your true love and there's definitely a connection there so you know it's meant to be. Maybe you can have a kid and if you do, you can raise him together with a loving family and you won't be knocked the gently caress out to be dragged back to some island with the expectation of being tortured and possibly sacrificing yourself for some cause that nobody will tell you about.

It's no wonder that he thinks universe B is awesome and universe A sucks.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

geeves posted:

No to go all BIOJECT on here, but it could have been as vague as Jacob writing his list on a whiteboard for Richard to copy down :v:

quote:
Richard:

Need Sawyer, Jack, Kate, Hurley
To get them, get Walt. His dad yells his name alot - should be easy to figure out who Walt is.
Who has been stealing my Dharma ranch dressing? You know I love that stuff.

- J

I do think they did talk from time to time, but it wasn't anything more than simple instructions with vague implications and no context. Like when Richard said that Jacob would inform him when it was time, but now Jacob's dead - I think it was to Jack and Hurley before he went to try to Arzt himself.

Nah, it was probably something more akin to Richard showing up at the statue. Jacob smiles at him, touches him on the shoulder and tells Richard that he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to. Then he walks away and Richard sees that there's a box containing a wooden toy truck on the sand. He picks up the box and carries it to Ben and tells him that it's a message from Jacob. Will Ben know enough to smash apart the toy truck to get the message hidden inside?

Or will Ben just say gently caress this and write up his own list.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Lapidus stashes the plane somewhere and goes into seclusion because there is literally no way to explain what happened what wouldn't end up with him in prison or in a mental institute.

He lives out the rest of his life on the beaches of Guam.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

So if that wasn't the smoke monster in the cave, than who was it? Was it the real ghost of Christian? A lot of people disagree with this theory because the ghost is appearing before Christian is born. But I guess it's not too much of a stretch to assume that ghosts can time travel. Especially since, time in the afterlife doesn't really exist as we know it.

The cleanest explanation for this is that from the time that Locke fell down, broke his leg, passed out and woke up there was at least one more time-flash that we weren't explicitly shown on screen. Then Locke can be in the same time frame between when Oceanic 815 crashed and when Jacob is killed, allowing Smokey to be Christian with no weird questions about assuming Christian's form before Christian is even born.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

So the notebook is a time travel paradox?

It "starts" to exists when Faraday travels back in time and his mom kills him. His mom picks up the notebook and then, later, gives it to Faraday? and then Faraday takes it with him back in time to his death?

No, it starts to exist when it's produced in a notebook factory in china or taiwan.

Then it gets shipped to the states or the uk. Eloise buys it as a gift for her son and writes a dedication to him in the front cover.

Faraday writes poo poo in it, travels back in time, gets shot by his mom.

1970s Eloise picks up notebook and reads it. She does not ever give the notebook back to Daniel, she gives him a new one.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

Right the compass is a time travel paradox.

I was just wondering if the notebook was too.

Yeah, the compass is the confusing one.

1950s Locke shows up and gives Richard the compass
2000s Richard finds Locke and gives him the compass

It's possible that Richard had the compass before this, so when 1950s Locke gives him a compass he then has 2 compasses, Compass A and Compass A2. Locke gives him Compass A2

When Richard finds Locke in 2000, he gives him Compass A (which then becomes A2 when he brings it back to give to Richard). He carries Compass A2 with him after this. So the compass loops around once (existing in the same timeframe simultaneously, with one copy 50 years older than the other) and exits the loop.

FrensaGeran posted:

I think it's funny that the integrity of the timeline required Eloise to shop around at probably over a dozen stores to find the EXACT notebook that she got in '77. She was probably like "poo poo, the stitching looks the same but what if I'm wrong and destroy the universe?"

Or she would just go to a store to buy a notebook like the one he will have had in 1950 and it would just happen to be the exact same one, serial # and all.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

So that notebook is existing twice at the same time?

well I guess that is ok because other things, like Miles, existed twice at the same time.

Yup. The notebook exists twice at the same time, one of them being a future version of itself.

FrensaGeran posted:

That makes no sense Loose. She had to make a conscious choice to pick the exact notebook, and how she went about that is a topic of serious concern. SERIOUS.

Going by the idea of Course Correction and What Happened Happened, even if she made a conscious effort to get a different notebook with a different serial number something would happen to cause the 'right' one to end up in her hands. Like the cashier would accidentally spill her water on it, go grab another one from the shelf which would be the 'correct' one. Some punk would nab her purse as she leaves the store.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

But that wasn't one of the times he was hit by an EM burst. That was when he left the Island's bubble. One's consciousness can travel through time as we learned from Faraday's mouse. Desmond's has traveled both to the past and to the pre-afterlife. The trick is figuring out which is which.

What if Eloise the mouse got sent to purgatory and learned how to solve the maze there?

:lost:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Wyld Cannon posted:

I had asked this before but it got lost in the Eloise shuffle, but I'm pretty sure Jack never found out Locke didn't kill himself, and that Ben killed him. Did Jack only believe in Locke because he thought he killed himself for the island?

I'm trying to imagine a conversation where Jack finds that out.

Ben: Jack, John Locke didn't kill himself.
Jack: What?
Ben: He was going to hang himself. So I stopped him.
Ben: And then I killed him.
:jackface:

I don't have any frame of reference to even know how to react to that. How do you react when someone kills someone who is trying to commit suicide and would have succeeded (baring island magic) if the killer hadn't shown up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I have a question.

What kind of infection can be cured by a good talking to? :v:

The Mondays.

That is why Smokey had to be kept on the Island. If he got out, we'd have the Mondays all day, every day.

• Locked thread