Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
How long was Hurley #1 before the first Mr. Cluck's franchise was opened on the island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Robotnik DDS posted:

Did Cindy and the kids...

...survive?

I am drawing a complete blank as to what to happened to them after they joined UnLocke. I remember seeing them a few times on walkabout with Smokey, but then they were just gone.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Vakal posted:

I feel like I'm missing something about the whole "babies cannot be conceived and then born here," plot-line.

I assume it was the island's way of keeping people from setting up long term civilizations, but it just seemed like such an important part of the earlier seasons that never really had a huge effect.

I think the whole fertility thing is just going to have go under "that's the way Jacob ran things."

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ravel posted:

a captive Ben says that Tom is nothing and that the leader of the Others is a 'great man'

I always assumed Ben was talking about himself in that instance.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

passionate dongs posted:

I just want to throw out there that the reoccurrence of the numbers is just coincidence

I agree with this more than the Valenzetti "equation of the end of the world" b.s. Like the Number 23 (not coincidentally), the numbers are just a recurring theme... in the Lost universe, they just stand out more often than other numbers, just like modern society regards superstitions towards numbers like 23, 7, 13, etc.

I do find it interesting the one of the non-main numbers (Kate) was the one to fire the shot that ended MiB.

I also have no idea why DHARMA would insist on entering that dreadful combination at the Swan Station rather than simply pressing the "any key" to continue. I have a feeling that was less "the electromagnetism demands it" and more "we're DHARMA so let's make this a psychological experiment at the same time."

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

The broken bones posted:

Was Jack's mom ever brought up throughout the series?

Isn't she the one who sent Jack to Australia to fetch Christian's corpse? Kind of a cold battleaxe of a woman.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

BIOJECT posted:

Now I have a question because I'm confused. If the leader of the Others can see Jacob, why did Ben think Jacob was at the cabin?

I think most of Richard's time as a liaison between Jacob and Ben was spent rolling his eyes and biting his tongue.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Wyld Cannon posted:

I don't understand anything going on with the Ash. Why would Jacob even need a ring of protective ash if Smokey could not directly kill him?? So based on that, the only reason to have the Ash Ring would be to keep Smokey IN, but at no point was Smokey ever trapped inside. He was free to roam the island in almost every era we were shown.

Also, the time travel bits got me a little confused. When they set off the nuke, they went back to 2007. Were they in the hole that Desmond made by turning the failsafe key, or were they in the hole that they made from setting off the nuke? Desmond turned the key in 2004 right? So the crater should have already been there. But then where did the narrow hole that Juliet was in come from, and didn't it still have all the metal in it??

:confused:

The ash wasn't meant to protect Jacob - it was meant to protect Jacob's followers. Dogen made that pretty clear at the temple. The whole ring around the cabin has probably been grossly misinterpreted this entire time as having to do either with keeping Jacob safe or MiB imprisoned, but it's likely neither. More likely, some Other in the know used the cabin as a residence for a while and/or spread the ash to create a safehouse in the middle of the jungle - a safehouse Jacob told Ilana about and which he may have suggested he occasionally hangs out at.

As for the post-Incident question, I'm mostly sure that was supposed to be the devastated Swan site, post-failsafe. The screen caps of the two settings are very similar, but not identical - likely because they had to recreate the set - but they are close enough that it appears the intention was make it the Swan station. The hole where Juliet was found was small and probably there all along - the show just had no reason to present it on screen before.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

aniero posted:

OK, i have some questions that are bugging the CRAP out of me.

If Smokey can't leave the island, how did he appear to Michael on the freighter, and even better, how did he appear to Jack on the mainland?? That scene heavily implies the smoke monster as the fire alarm is beeping just before we see Christian.

True answer: Inconsistencies.

Show Answer: Jacob, ghosts and/or the Island was loving with Michael and Jack on the freighter and the hospital.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Astro7x posted:

Didn't WIdmore sending the mercenaries which killed Alex change the rules between Ben and Widmore?

Anyway, I still don't grasp how people think the bomb physically created the altverse. is it wrong that it just makes sense to me how the show presented it?

No, these people are way over-complicating the whole thing. The flash-sideways was very clearly defined, and while no denominational name had been put to it, the intention was absolutely clear that it was intended to be a purgatory/limbo/weigh-station on the way to the true afterlife.

Who here didn't say "not go... move on" a half-second (or more) before Christian did? We all got it. It was head-slappingly obvious at that point. Making it more or something else is a refuge for people who can't let go.

Jackfaces.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

rakovsky maybe posted:

You realize that if Locke believed him the world would end, right?

Do we actually know what would have happened if Desmond didn't utilize the failsafe? For that matter, did Ben? It could well be that Ben wasn't entirely convinced the whole Swan Station wasn't more DHARMA hocus pocus.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

ITILPrince posted:

The problem is the purpose - why would Dharma build a gas factory?

Just a guess, but maybe MiB manipulated paranoia between the natives and DHARMA, inciting such suspicion that both camps were preparing their final solutions. Jacob, as usual, showed disinterest.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Not In Charleston posted:

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind, too. One act of sacrifice shouldn't wipe clean a life of murderin' dudes. I like Sayid, but I also like Ben, and neither of those guys should get to move on. They're bad men.

Just because they are all moving on at the same time doesn't mean they are all going to the same place.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

aniero posted:

OK, so in the alt/limbo/whatever world Keamy and Mikhail get capped in the restaurant, so is this some kind of indication of their cosmic punishment? If they die in a reality where they're already dead....what then?

My guess is that they weren't really part of the limbo, they were constructs of the others' imagination. They're in their own purgatories/limbos, and somewhere Keamy is fulfilling his dream of making good eggs.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Ok well answer me this guys why doesn't Sayid have 72 virgins with him in the end?

They're on the other side. All we saw was the limbo between life and afterlife. Once Sayid gets to where he's going, 72 pimply virgins will be camping his spawn spot for eternity.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I think it was important to Sayid that Nadia was safe, and somewhere close so he could always be sure. She was living freely in America, married to a good (if naive) man and unaffected by Sayid's lifestyle or career path. He was happy to see her taken care of despite the sacrifice it meant him.

And then they shoe-horned Shannon somewhere in there.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Richard wasn't in the alt-world because Richard never dies.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

ApexAftermath posted:

This has nothing to do with the show and everything to do with being sick of seeing your stupid bullshit poo poo up this thread. I am fine with the show. The show is loving amazing.

How quickly we forget that Gianthogweed is about thirty times more bearable than BIOJECT was.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm watching the Super Mario Bros movie in honor of the late Dennis Hoppen, and it's only now dawning on me how Lost is one big ripoff of the Super Mario Bros movie. Princess Daisy = Desmond. THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Toon Town is the Island.

The Judge is Smokey.

Dip is the magic-o-magnetism.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Friendly Factory posted:

Your video really was awful

At least it was clear and competently edited. That puts it above a solid 60% of everything else on Youtube.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

GrandpaWiggly posted:

What I don't understand is why did you pull one of the phone number tabs? Are you planning on calling yourself to claim your own reward? Are you LOST laundering?

You should always pull off the first tab so that other people think whatever the flier is offering is more valuable. It's like putting the first dollar in a tip jar.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Did they ever explain what Oceanic 815's in-flight meal was?

I'm working on a theory.

In which reality? In one, it was mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, dinner roll and chicken kiev. In another, it was scalloped potatoes, rice medley, salmon and asparagus. In the third one, it was Gagh and Raktajinos.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

LividLiquid posted:

Sadly, the rat in the maze and Mr. The Plague from the boat prove this wrong.

Didn't the rat experiment take place within Desmond's flash? If you're right and that was actually a flash to limbolife, Daniel's experiment is just a part of that construct and not necessarily proof of anything.

I'm having trouble recalling anything the freighter guy had said that would oppose the theory either.

Also, we can still look at Desmond's flashes as time traveling: His consciousness moved into the future beyond his own death, into the sub-afterlife.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

CatchrNdRy posted:

hey so did Walt ever get that money he won from playing Hurley?

Yes, but it was all in Mr. Cluckbucks.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Astro7x posted:

Discuss!

I love Trisha Tanaka is Dead. :(

And Dave. :(

(Numbers 112 and 105 respectively.)

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
So BIOJECT, Gianthogweed and Android Blues walk into a bar...

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

the posted:

I think we can all agree that this ending leaves little ambiguity.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Hardflip posted:

This should be the entirety of the OP.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Is my friend retarded? I'm not a Lost fan, and neither is he. But he's borrowing all the DVDs from a friend and is going to marathon watch them. However the other day he watched the last episode completely, this is the first episode he ever watched. Why would someone do this? Isn't this the kind of show you'd want to not know anything about the last episode?

Originally yes, but then the last episode happened and it didn't really make the impact everyone hoped for six years that it would.

It might be interesting hearing his perspective as somebody who knows how its going to end before he learns the beginning.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Bobx66 posted:

What is the one thing that everyone wishes they would have expanded on?

Count me down as one for the "inner workings of the island" and what makes it so special. Electromagnetism is a symptom, not an explanation. I'm actually glad they chose not to expand on the physical and metaphysical properties beyond what they did though, because no explanation would really suffice.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Wax Tadpole posted:

I'm sorry if I missed this, but has anyone figured out why Jack's appendix burst, and why Ben needed a backiotomy ON the island?

Yet another "Jacob did it" question/answer pairing would be my guess.

edit: To expand, Jacob was trying to test Ben's faith in a "you will be provided for if you believe" sort of way, and Jack needed, like always, help letting go of control.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh god you're back again already.

All this has happened before...

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

ApexAftermath posted:

If the writers knew how time travel really worked

The glowy stuff is a primordial TARDIS. MiB looked into the heart of it.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ak Gara posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who lost out the chance of seeing Walkabout unspoiled.

I didn't start watching until season five was airing, but I managed to go into Walkabout unspoiled. Very happy with the whole experience - I didn't have to wait any of those excruciating summers between seasons, or even between episodes, except for the most recent season.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why did people call the flash-sideways the Hurleyverse anyway?

Somebody said it, somebody else repeated it, several more people liked it and tossed it around, and then a few people started getting sick of it and voiced their complaints, and it soon fell out of favor but defenders claimed it was because in that reality, Hurley had the world by the beak.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

aniero posted:

Also, remember, Iliana says something about how the smoke monster is "stuck as John Locke" or something to that effect...

...what's that about?

I'm guessing that was Jacob's dying act, locking MiB in his current form. That's how he was able to tell Ilana about it - because it was his intention all along.

Basically, every answer to most lingering questions I can think of come down to "Jacob did it" because in most cases he could and the show hasn't given us enough information to go with anything else.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Akuma posted:

Jesus, people still think the spiders were the smoke monster? What would be the loving point of that? The sound was the stock spider/insect effect that's been used in TV and movies forever, not the smoke monster.

No, the sound effect is the one directly related to Smokey; the chittering sort of insect sound is the Smoke Monster and from my understanding, that's been verified by the powers that be on this show. We're supposed to believe that the swarm of medusa spiders was actually Smokey.

Verified via podcast here.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Shane-O-Mac posted:

So my boss has never seen Lost and asked me to summarize the entire show in haiku form. It's surprisingly hard. This is what I came up with:

Fate versus free will
Many strangers become known
The world must be saved.

Can anybody do better?

Two sides, light and dark
White man trying to keep his
Bro down. And hippies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

geeves posted:

The title of the 11 minute Hurley and Ben short is The New Man in Charge - and I feel stupid for hiding this, but I know someone will bitch :v:

While I understand your caution, anybody bitching about spoilers over a show that has officially ended its run should be put on indefinite probation.

• Locked thread