Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
The one where you don't work in a center and you don't take many calls? I agree sounds ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
If you can work from home, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

- No more dealing with burnout co-workers who want to drag you down
- No more worrying about commute messing up your attendance record
- Easier access to groceries in your fridge
- Easier naps during lunch

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm getting paid time and a half right now to sit on my couch and take one call every 20 minutes. I think I finally found the call center job that doesn't suck you guys.

What call centre is this, as I could do that part time and get caught up on my videogaming.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

sbaldrick posted:

What call centre is this, as I could do that part time and get caught up on my videogaming.

I think Apple has remote tech support positions. The insurance company I worked for also offered remote work, but you had to get approval.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I dunno where you're at, but it's a home warranty company based out of the Chicago area, so you'd have to be local for awhile to get trained. After that it seems pretty easy to get work from home, since they always need office space.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't think I'd want to do this from home, I'd never get to escape. Maybe I'd get to have silly putty though (recently informed that molding putty from snake to ball to snake to ball is a "desk distraction," and i can't have it out anymore; you're god drat right its a distraction I don't get another break for two loving hours and this person just told me they don't know what a loving email address is)

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm getting paid time and a half right now to sit on my couch and take one call every 20 minutes. I think I finally found the call center job that doesn't suck you guys.

You got me beat. I took a similar amount of calls today but I had to leave my house to do it. I did get to chill with my work bro and talk about movies though so it's not all bad.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't think I'd want to do this from home, I'd never get to escape. Maybe I'd get to have silly putty though (recently informed that molding putty from snake to ball to snake to ball is a "desk distraction," and i can't have it out anymore; you're god drat right its a distraction I don't get another break for two loving hours and this person just told me they don't know what a loving email address is)

I worked for Comcast from home for about 6 months. Worked split shifts, 9-1 and 6:30-10:30. It ended up with me basically never leaving the house. I would have to go to the office every Thursday, and often I couldn't remember where I'd parked my car when I got back from the office last Thursday. It worked great for a lot of people who did it, but it was a terrible idea for me.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm very wary of the "never leave the house" problem. I try to get out 2-3 nights a week, even if it's just going to my sister's house for dinner.

Once I get out of here back into my own apartment, I'm going to get a work laptop that's used for work only in it's own corner of the spare bedroom and that'll be my "office" where I can toil and then leave it behind when I'm done.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

you ate my cat posted:

I worked for Comcast from home for about 6 months. Worked split shifts, 9-1 and 6:30-10:30. It ended up with me basically never leaving the house. I would have to go to the office every Thursday, and often I couldn't remember where I'd parked my car when I got back from the office last Thursday. It worked great for a lot of people who did it, but it was a terrible idea for me.

How is working for Comcast? The Minneapolis retention center keeps trying to recruit me and I need a job, but I just can't shake the feeling that it'd be working in the 7th circle of hell.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I don't know if this is the thread for this, but I figure you guys will know since you probably deal with this a lot.

I've been getting overcharged by my internet company for eighteen months, for a total of $360. I've gotten to a local supervisor, who has offered me discounts on future bills totaling $80. I really need to get reimbursed that money. I've been very polite and assured everyone I've talked to that I understand they're limited in what they can offer me, but I'm having trouble breaking through to the next level of management to get an actual refund.

Would it be quicker to just contact their corporate offices, or should I keep asking supervisors to kick me up to whatever the next level is? I'm willing to keep at this for as long as it takes, but I'm not even sure what their structure is like and I don't want to be a dick and just go, "let me talk to whoever's in charge of you."

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How were you being overcharged? And sorry but I'd just say good bye to that money.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Team leaders are any combination of useless, flooded with emails from underlings they will never read, and too busy bullshitting their results to the people above them. Go corporate or public social media that they won't refund you, be explicit about the facts but brief so it can be read and understood in under 30 seconds.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Harminoff posted:

How were you being overcharged? And sorry but I'd just say good bye to that money.

They lowered the price of my service without telling me, and continued to charge me the old rate. If it had been like, a month or two before they fixed it, I'd be happy with a small discount, but we're talking about almost a month's rent for me that I've been overcharged. I'm happy to pursue this for as long as it takes, since I really need that money.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

I don't know if this is the thread for this, but I figure you guys will know since you probably deal with this a lot.

I've been getting overcharged by my internet company for eighteen months, for a total of $360. I've gotten to a local supervisor, who has offered me discounts on future bills totaling $80. I really need to get reimbursed that money. I've been very polite and assured everyone I've talked to that I understand they're limited in what they can offer me, but I'm having trouble breaking through to the next level of management to get an actual refund.

Would it be quicker to just contact their corporate offices, or should I keep asking supervisors to kick me up to whatever the next level is? I'm willing to keep at this for as long as it takes, but I'm not even sure what their structure is like and I don't want to be a dick and just go, "let me talk to whoever's in charge of you."

Have you tried threatening to cancel to get transferred to their retention department? I agree with the guy telling you the money is probably gone, though.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

BigDave posted:

How is working for Comcast? The Minneapolis retention center keeps trying to recruit me and I need a job, but I just can't shake the feeling that it'd be working in the 7th circle of hell.

I haven't worked for Comcast for a few years now, but I currently work for a different large ISP.

After a little less than 3 years there, I picked a date at random from the calendar and quit on that date. Didn't have a job lined up, didn't much care. I would say that they are probably on the worse side of the spectrum for the call center jobs that people talk about in here. They were rough then, and I hear they're even rougher now. Very metric-oriented, and if you're in the retention team it's very save-oriented. Good luck making those numbers.

I had the benefit of working directly for the company, which was at least marginally better. I personally wouldn't recommend working at a vendor for them, but I probably wouldn't recommend you work there at all. That said, I have a much more negative view of call center work in general than many, and you may find your experience different.

If you take the job, I'd recommend planning an exit strategy almost immediately. Keep it up to date so if/when you start getting the first signs of burnout you can bail. Don't trap yourself.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Karma, customer just went apeshit at me to try and get to corporate, in case it wasn't obvious be polite to the phone crew you encounter while trying to get the message up the chain.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

They lowered the price of my service without telling me, and continued to charge me the old rate. If it had been like, a month or two before they fixed it, I'd be happy with a small discount, but we're talking about almost a month's rent for me that I've been overcharged. I'm happy to pursue this for as long as it takes, since I really need that money.

Yeah bub you aren't getting that money back. I don't know how this problem could have put you in a financial jam either. They were charging you exactly how much you expected to be charged right? If you knew about the rate change and you were planning on using that extra 15 bones a month or whatever it was, then you also would have known that you weren't getting it.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

You're in the US I assume? Does your state's Attorney General have some kind of Consumer Protection Office? They'll typically take a complaint like this and pass it on to the company. They won't sue them or anything for you, but generally a complaint from that falls into the same category as governmental and regulatory. Are you getting a service that would be regulated by your state's Public Utility Commission? Complain to them.

Other options include the Executive Email Carpet Bomb, finding and calling the corporate office, complaining about the situation on Facebook or Twitter, calling local newspapers until you find one that runs consumer issues stories, or small claims court.

All that said, the possibility of you getting an actual refund is very slim. Companies don't like writing checks to people, it's a colossal pain in the rear end to do. The only times I've seen actual checks written to customers were either small-scale damage claims or small claims court settlements. I've given some people some very large amounts of credit, including one guy who got like $800, but that all went against the bill and he just didn't have to pay for a while. If that's feasible for you, you may have better luck not insisting on a direct refund.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Also, I don't know your situation, but if you desperately need money you were expecting to have to spend you probably need to reconsider how you're managing your money.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

you ate my cat posted:

All that said, the possibility of you getting an actual refund is very slim. Companies don't like writing checks to people, it's a colossal pain in the rear end to do. The only times I've seen actual checks written to customers were either small-scale damage claims or small claims court settlements. I've given some people some very large amounts of credit, including one guy who got like $800, but that all went against the bill and he just didn't have to pay for a while. If that's feasible for you, you may have better luck not insisting on a direct refund.

Companies don't like writing checks to people when they've hosed up in the past. If they've automatically determined you should receive something it's a-okay! AT&T very willingly sent me a check for something like $0.03 because of some obscure billing nonsense their system detected without my asking.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Nah, I could cover the regular old rate and accounted for it in my budget, but I'm not loose enough to let a few hundred dollars go without a fight, if I didn't need to be paying it. I'm not straight up destitute, but that's still something worth pursuing for me.

Thanks for the replies, I'm waiting to see if my friends in the company can provide any info. After that, I'll go corporate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

you ate my cat posted:

Other options include the Executive Email Carpet Bomb, finding and calling the corporate office, complaining about the situation on Facebook or Twitter, calling local newspapers until you find one that runs consumer issues stories, or small claims court.

Take it to Twitter. Be sure and include any ticket or reference number you may have; if you don't have, get one."@example.com You overcharged me, I want a refund for my $360. See reference # ############. You're still likely to only get a credit, but at least you won't have to pay your bill for a few months. If you can reasonably switch services, retention might be able to get a check cut. And if you do switch, credit won't help so you should be able to get a check without taking it to small claims. If it DOES go to small claims, literally any reasonable expense related to the collection

I've had to resort to Twitter to get callbacks on week-old tickets with an ISP. it should work splendidly in a refund situation.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Take it to Twitter. Be sure and include any ticket or reference number you may have; if you don't have, get one."@example.com You overcharged me, I want a refund for my $360. See reference # ############. You're still likely to only get a credit, but at least you won't have to pay your bill for a few months. If you can reasonably switch services, retention might be able to get a check cut. And if you do switch, credit won't help so you should be able to get a check without taking it to small claims. If it DOES go to small claims, literally any reasonable expense related to the collection

I've had to resort to Twitter to get callbacks on week-old tickets with an ISP. it should work splendidly in a refund situation.

I mean it won't hurt, but I think this outlook is alarmingly optimistic. It's super unlikely this guy could reasonably switch providers in the first place due to how telecoms work in this country, but even so it's not like Comcast et. al really care about customer satisfaction. It might work if he has a smaller service provider that actually has to compete for business.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

You weren't overcharged. You were charged the amount you agreed to pay, and you paid it. That the advertised rate for the service was reduced doesn't mean they lowered the price for your service, as the price for your service was the price you had previously agreed upon. That agreed upon rate only changed when you called in and had your rate adjusted. You are not owed a refund for the time before then. You weren't overcharged.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 27, 2014

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

You weren't overcharged. You were charged the amount you agreed to pay, and you paid it. That the advertised rate for the service was reduced doesn't mean they lowered the price for your service, as the price for your service was the price you had previously agreed upon. That agreed upon rate only when you called in and had your rate adjusted. You are not owed a refund for the time before then. You weren't overcharged.

This is how I'm seeing it, to be honest. That's why I really don't think this guy is going to get his money back in any fashion beyond some goodwill credits.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pharmaskittle posted:

You likely are screwed, you waited way too long to have this fixed. Its quite possible they aren't even liable for the overages anymore as per your contract because you didn't contact within 90 days of statement or similar. Maybe 4 months, based on the 4 month discount they offered you.

I think a lot of the public facing corporate numbers and mailing addresses...auto route to the call center. Mail is reforwarded, etc. Its cool.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Sounds more like they lowered the price of the service for new customers, not for you. You agreed to a price and have been paying it. For 18 months, none the less. Don't get me wrong, I think its wrong and a bad business practice, but I believe you aren't obligated to the refund like you think you are. I would take a 1.33 month credit and move on. But see how far up you can take it, maybe it'll go somewhere. Please do post back in this thread about it.

mllaneza posted:

I *have* heard elsewhere that this works. It should be worth a shot.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sub Rosa posted:

You weren't overcharged. You were charged the amount you agreed to pay, and you paid it. That the advertised rate for the service was reduced doesn't mean they lowered the price for your service, as the price for your service was the price you had previously agreed upon. That agreed upon rate only changed when you called in and had your rate adjusted. You are not owed a refund for the time before then. You weren't overcharged.

Yeah agreeing with this. Services have never worked as "If I sign up in January at $100/month and in June they start offering a new plan at $90/mo, I must be automatically switched to the new, lower rate plan. Compensate me for these damages!"

Having worked for years in telecom, sometimes the prices are just lowered for competitive reasons, but more frequently they make changes to the fine print. (Slightly cheaper, but increases overage rates, removes features that were previously included, etc.)

Either way I don't think you're entitled to be automatically switched to the new cheaper rate plan. It sucks, but that's Just How Things Are.

Even in other sectors, you're not protected from price decreases outside a short time frame (of which you could get the same time frame from your ISP.) You have no case if a car you leased becomes $100/mo cheaper a few months later. You don't get a difference refund if something you bought in a store goes on sale a few months later on clearance.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 27, 2014

BigStu
Apr 16, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

They will also say that when you pay your bill, you are agreeing to all of the charges........I would ask for maybe half of what you want as a credit for your service.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
It's worth trying again and getting up the ladder as far as you can go, but I'd take the $80 credit. I had a similar thing happen with a my wireless provider. They had hosed up the activation and I hadn't analyzed my bills closely enough and realized about a year later that they had been overcharging me. I ended up with a pretty hefty credit because it was blatantly their fault, but it didn't actually cover the whole amount because I had to take some responsibility for the situation -- I should have noticed that in the first month.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

detectivemonkey posted:

It's worth trying again and getting up the ladder as far as you can go, but I'd take the $80 credit. I had a similar thing happen with a my wireless provider. They had hosed up the activation and I hadn't analyzed my bills closely enough and realized about a year later that they had been overcharging me. I ended up with a pretty hefty credit because it was blatantly their fault, but it didn't actually cover the whole amount because I had to take some responsibility for the situation -- I should have noticed that in the first month.

Hah. Once upon a time we had AT&T install a new analog one for a fax machine. Only they didn't. My PFY and I lost track of it because a tech came out and did stuff, plus we weren't expecting it to ever get used. Turns out the tech didn't actually do anything. A year later we finally noticed that the fax line wasn't getting dial tone. After some awkward (on their part) troubleshooting calls we figured out that the line wasn't connected. And that they'd ported the number to Verizon. And forgot to tell Billing. Six months later, after a LOT of phone calls, and an escalation after they decided we didn't have a refund coming, we still hadn't gotten the check.

No company wants to cut a check, but gently caress AT&T especially.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Above a certain amount, refunds usually have to be approved by higher level management, and they are reluctant to do so unless there are real legal, PR, or business reasons to approve it. You don't have many options at that point, you can file a chargeback if you paid by credit card, let the debt go to collections and dispute it with the credit bureaus, or try your luck in small claims court.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Hah. Once upon a time we had AT&T install a new analog one for a fax machine. Only they didn't. My PFY and I lost track of it because a tech came out and did stuff, plus we weren't expecting it to ever get used. Turns out the tech didn't actually do anything. A year later we finally noticed that the fax line wasn't getting dial tone. After some awkward (on their part) troubleshooting calls we figured out that the line wasn't connected. And that they'd ported the number to Verizon. And forgot to tell Billing. Six months later, after a LOT of phone calls, and an escalation after they decided we didn't have a refund coming, we still hadn't gotten the check.

No company wants to cut a check, but gently caress AT&T especially.

After a certain period of time, it's your fault. Having worked for a large ISP I can't count the number of phone calls where someone hadn't plugged their telephone line into the modem, they moved it, the tech forgot, or some other stupid thing. If you haven't used your phone in over a year and didn't notice it, then it's no longer the company's fault. You even said that you weren't expecting it to get used.

With a number port out, if the number is inactive, and another company takes that number (Or if it's a "ghost" number, IE Verizon owned it first, you stop using it and Verizon takes it back to their pool), you can't get the number back.

I even had one customer that moved their modem, sat without phone and internet for two months, then called in and demanded all the money back because he unplugged it and took the modem out, and then told me we should monitor all modems to see if they go offline and call if they do.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

After a certain period of time, it's your fault. Having worked for a large ISP I can't count the number of phone calls where someone hadn't plugged their telephone line into the modem, they moved it, the tech forgot, or some other stupid thing. If you haven't used your phone in over a year and didn't notice it, then it's no longer the company's fault. You even said that you weren't expecting it to get used.

While in the real world that's the way it's going to play out, I don't really agree.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

After a certain period of time, it's your fault.

With a number port out, if the number is inactive, and another company takes that number (Or if it's a "ghost" number, IE Verizon owned it first, you stop using it and Verizon takes it back to their pool), you can't get the number back.

Well that is true. But porting the number to another carrier should absolutely remove it from the billing database.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

mllaneza posted:

Well that is true. But porting the number to another carrier should absolutely remove it from the billing database.
I imagine that is not at all how the termination agreement in your contract works, which you agreed to. Just a guess.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

mllaneza posted:

There is so much that can go wrong with a port out it's not even funny. Illegal porting, fuckups on either side, snap backs, there are tons of things that can go wrong. I've seen plenty of times where a number was ported out or "ghosted back" for some unknown reason back to the original teleco, and that teleco never notified us. I've seen vindictive people somehow port numbers and we never got notified. I've seen where we've been notified but it got lost in the cracks somehow. A ticket got prematurely closed or some other crap. I've seen a disgruntled employee just change the number rather than fix the problem.

Should it be taken off if something like that happens? Absolutely. Should you be paying attention to make sure the service you're paying for works? Definitely.

I have little sympathy for people who let things like this go for a year then complain. It takes 10 seconds to pick up your fax line to see if it's working. You should always be testing your services after a tech comes out as most techs don't give a gently caress.

The people I feel for are the ones who have similar problems, but have called every week complaining and got nowhere and nothing got fixed. I almost ragequit my call center job more than a few times when other departments just shrug and say "nope can't help you".

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone work in email customer support? If so, is it as good as it sounds?

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Goast posted:

ACS/Xerox?

I ope not for his sake. I've heard horror stories about that place. I had to call into them once with a borrower and basically had to save the poor kid on the other line when he clearly did not have enough training.

Harminoff posted:

You generally work off of templates, but it's off the phones, so I loved it. Just don't get too nit picky about the email and make sure you can pop in your headphones, and you're golden.

Also, as for the whole 'how to move out of the call center and into a job where you don't have to talk to people', I got my off the phone accounting job by getting trained in damned near every aspect of anything that I could. I would arrange side by sides so I could learn what people did, I volunteered for everything and I basically made my own brain an encyclopedia on loans. So when my new department was looking for people, even through I didn't have much accounting experience, I had experience in virtually everything else and they wanted that diversified knowledge base.

That being said, it does make me really mad that they constantly hire temps for off the phones work when there are good, capable people in the call center that would cut off an arm for that job. Especially when the temps are paid more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Harminoff posted:

Did it for 2 years at Verizon Wireless Prepaid until my call center lost the contract. Yes it is exactly as good as it sounds. Still lovely compared to a non call center job, but I guess it's all relative. I know that I used way less Xanax than when I was on the phones.