Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

This arrangement has to be illegal, man. If you're salaried they have to give you your full salary if you show up even one day. Also there are standards on the types of work that can be salaried and the minimum level of pay

Call centers having illegal employment practices is so common as to be almost unremarkable, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My job is with a university. It's basically completely disabused me of any ideas about the value of higher education I might have had to spend my work shifts talking to students and faculty. Oh, you've called us 20 times in the last month, including three times in a two-day period, to ask how to change column widths in Excel? Clearly you're in the right place.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Aerofallosov posted:

Yup. I worry and wonder how some of these folks got/are here. Having to read to a Literary MA is a very strange experience.

I once had to explain the concept of email forwarding to somebody that our accounts system assured me was a Computer Science professor. Surreal.

Also one guy used to call in ALL THE TIME and was not literate- like, he could get by, but would only answer vaguely about what an error message, for example, said, and if you asked him for the exact text, you could hear him sounding it out. "You cuh-could not be ah-auth- then-tic-cat. Puh-ple-please try agin. Again." I mean, don't get me wrong, I am totally sympathetic to the fact that illiteracy happens, and I really want that guy to get help, but law school is not where you get that help.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Chicken Doodle posted:

They took away our dress code at work - We always got to wear jeans as long as they were dark wash and clean, now it's dress pants and men must have collars. Everyone's morale went down by 30% when that email went out, not even the managers understand. I know people say they're just jeans, but there's no reason for it except for someone Back East saying so. And just when I was starting to enjoy my job again. :smith:

People always call me crazy when I insist that a high percentage of workplace rules exist solely as a sick exercise in exerting control over people for the thrill of dominance itself, but it's got more explanatory power than any other theory I've heard.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

People like that often use people like us as targets for abuse because they can vent on us and they know that 90+% of the time our bosses don't care enough to do anything about it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I think my all-time favorite call was the guy who was upset that he couldn't dial in to our dialup modem pool. Which is in Indiana. From France.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The metrics are designed to fire you because call centers are all run by lunatics who think a 100% turnover rate is too low. There will be a tiny handful of lifers and the other 90% of people you meet will have a tenure measured in weeks or months.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's especially great when you work for a place that has websites and uses software which straight up do not work with mobile browsers/exist on mobile OSes and people get upset that their toys aren't as capable as actual computers.

Also if there's a constant when it comes to passwords it's that there is a segment of the population which simply cannot be bothered to type their password correctly and trying to do this on a mobile device makes it even worse. Of course the worst part is being unable to simply tell them that they need to pay attention to something for ten seconds...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Volmarias posted:

That's the kind of attitude that's going to drive companies out of business, as you scoff a changing market straight into irrelevance. Unless your website has a really good reason to require a full desktop (hint: it doesn't), you really need to be able to at least limp along on mobile even if its not a great experience. Being unusable only means that you're going to fail to capture a new customer segment that's going to go somewhere that they can actually look at with their "toy" (read: only computer they can realistically afford or want).

Anyway, for content, it finally happened to me: I called into a call center to try to figure out a billing problem, and the person who took my call placed me on hold to "look something up." Five minutes later, I get a recorded message that the center was now closed, and that I could call back tomorrow. Goodbye! *click*

:ssj:

Good news: I work for a university and the people who make all that stuff don't sell to consumers.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's like I say, call centers are designed to fire you. They want the best employees, even if they have to fire the entire county to find them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I was once told that a caller hoped my mother got cancer and died, but he was under a lot of stress.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Too Poetic posted:

Just got out of training for a new client. Time between calls is like 15-60. Kill me.

I have one word for you: Gameboy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Too Poetic posted:

No electronics allowed on the floor. Can't even have paper.

Oh god. Uhh... Lots and lots of books?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Too Poetic posted:

Unfortunately everything other than the clients poo poo is locked down. No Google or nothing. I can't even use our scheduling program or email while I'm logged into their system to take calls.

Goddamn, do they seriously expect you to just stare at the ceiling between calls?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I put my notice in at the call center I used to work at to just put in overtime at the one I've been transitioning to. I'm about to make slightly more money and spend 16 fewer hours each week working and commuting. That's pretty shiny.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Your first question needs to be "how boned am I if this is discovered and not by me?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

blackmet posted:

My company has "Intelligent Routing." Meaning that it you've been in an account recently, and you're on the phone in available status, it'll route the person back to you.

Which lead to a fun escalation...client was mad that they couldn't fax in a request to have a check sent out via bill pay. Why they didn't just mail a check, seeing as they had no computer, is anyone's guess.

Asked to speak to my manager, who was on another call. I took her number and told her my manager would call her back. She hung up. Then called back 4 times, each time reaching me.

Each call ended with "Ma'am...you're just going to have to wait." Finally they told me just to sit in unavailable for a few minutes until my manager could call her back.

Intelligent Routing sorta' blows sometimes.

When I worked tech support we used to call this mommy-and-daddying and place bets on how many times they'd call back.

Our record was five.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

They documented you giving them cause (which is what the 30 days was about), then fired you for cause. I'm not saying they 100% will block your application, but neither of those are things that generally bode well for an unemployment insurance claim.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

D34THROW posted:

:justpost:

I understand a dress code for a loving CALL CENTER that dictates, say, slacks/khakis & polos. More preferable is something as laid back as, say, jeans and a non-offensive T-shirt. How restrictive can you get in a drat call center?

It's a perfect example of how little "professionalism" has to do with actually going your goddamned job.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

When I did tech support for dsl I loved calling the NOC because their hold music was this trance stuff that you'd sit and listen to for awhile because they always took a minute to answer the picks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There are definitely jobs where a rotating 3/4 day 36/48 schedule makes sense, but that's way too long to keep people in contact with the hostile public.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Any tips/tricks for people just getting out of training on how to survive the hellish grind?

Forget that you're a human being with the right to be treated with dignity and respect, because nobody you interact with except coworkers doing specifically your job will be doing so while you're in the office.

Or just be super mad all the time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Why the gently caress does the customer know your co-worker's last name?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

For the record, alcohol and NSAIDs are a terrible combination. Real good way to give yourself an ulcer or GI tract bleeding.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

AceRimmer posted:

Holy lol, nothing gets a bigger attitude change from flyover country yokels than using the NATO alphabet and sir/ma'am #stolenvalor

When I did tech support I goddamned loved talking to vets because I was used to "Uh, that's A as in... apple, I guess, B as in, uh, um, boy..." Military folks know their NATO alphabet better than their real alphabet.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That's awful! I'm glad you have a plan to get out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If you don't mind people talking to you as though you are simultaneously an all-powerful God who is choosing to use that power to make their lives worse and who could, with a mere effort of will that you are unreasonably refusing to make, fix everything for them, and also a pitiful worm who is a lesser being which must obey their whims or else be guilty of insubordination, you'll be fine.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My job provided a very nice Jabra headset which worked poorly, and then it turned out that the software doesn't like headsets which use the jack and wants USB headsets instead (a thing I have never heard of, but okay) and sent me a USB headset that feels absurdly fragile and pulls my hair, so I ordered a $40 "gamer" USB headset off Amazon which is way better and I just use that. Nobody's complained yet.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Spooky Chris posted:

When the idea was broached earlier we were told we have to use the vxi passports because they have to be a "specific voltage" which is horse poo poo obviously. Since we've gone to wfh I suspect some are using more comfortable consumer models.
I remember 2 years ago I was asked to coach a struggling coworker and after sitting with her for a while I realized she was wearing her headset with no foam. Plastic on skin. I told her they had more foamies at the front desk but she said she liked it better this way.

That sounds really unpleasant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My place had us log in Christmas morning but quickly sent us home because it's loving Christmas and nobody's calling; I'm off NYE but New Year's Day will likely be a repeat of Christmas.