Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I guess I should post in this thread now that I work for a mortgage company in their debt collections department. Basically I call up people all day and remind them that they are late and that they need to pay up.

Anyone in the business have any tips for me to help someone just starting out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I work in the mortgage business and my first call of the day was a woman who sent in a check payment via mail that needed to be signed for but it was delivered when no one was available to sign it so back to the post office it went. Since she of course waited until the very last day to pay. She then called in a check by phone to make payment.

Then guess what happens. The next day the check was delivered! So now she has 2 payments paid and we can't refund either of them.

Why she didn't call and cancel the check? I don't know. But she hung up crying because she was out of money and there was nothing we could do. I told her she should try contacting her bank but she is probably hosed

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
At the mortgage company I work at there are borrowers who still try the "I'm taking my business elsewhere!" ploy except it's "I'm going to refinance with MY OLD BANK!" As if you convincing some other bank to payoff your entire mortgage with us INCLUDING back payments AND late charges AND corporate advances is something we wouldn't want. What's even more hilarious is because you are such a worthless loving borrower, even if someone would refinance you with your lousy pay history your loan will probably get transferred to us again for us to try and fix you which means we will be down this whole road again. Maybe next time you'll listen to us trying to help you and maybe take some of our advice and take steps to pay your mortgage on time!

Ha ha ha who am I kidding.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
for context I work in a mortgage company collections dept.

So today a guy was fired because they found out he was simply going onto accounts that usually pay around the same time of the month and putting notes on the account that made it looked like he talked to them and arranged the payment. Basically he was just boosting his stats by lying which is a huge no no. What's even worse is that he was from the loss mitigation department which is as high up as you can get in collections. So he knew what he was doing and that he would get caught. What a moron.

Also one other guy quit on the spot.... like I said hi to him that morning as usual and sometime after lunch he just quit and walked out. I think maybe he might have been doing something shady too and figured he'd get out before he was found out but who knows!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So this story begins last month when I was given a list of accounts that didn't have phone numbers with them and tasked to find phone numbers for them. This is a common thing although people in my dept don't do it that often, it's usually for higher depts to do. Anyway, after researching one account I found out that the primary borrower who is the husband, was at a rally with his wife and long story short shot 2 of his friends, his wife 6 times, and then killed himself. So I found all this out and confirmed it was actually the right guy and not someone else with the same name and put all my documentation on the account and moved on.

Well today, someone in the higher department was going through the list of accounts that still didn't have numbers(this being one as everyone is dead/hospitalized) and was impressed by how much I had found and how well documented it was, as well as the general fact that someone we had done business with in the past turned out to be a psychopath. So this got forwarded around the floor, then up to management, and then back down to me with a bunch of great comments towards both me and my manager. :3:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That's what we have! Yay for Avaya! :smithicide:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
What I like about working in a mortgage call center is that it is not customer service and so many borrowers think their usual Wal-Mart bullshit will work.

This month we had a problem with some banks sending in their electronic payments, and as such some were returned to the borrowers and their payment wasn't made. We obviously waived all late charges associated with it and all they had to do was resubmit payment. However it should also be noted that this did not affect ANYONE that paid on time. It mostly affected the few people who waited until the last day of the 15 day grace period to make their payment. So as you might expect if your payment isn't received and is still due, you get collections calls. Most people are grateful I am calling them and letting them know somethings wrong. Sometimes they are a little upset but I let them know that the late charges are being reversed and I'll set it up so that no more calls are sent to them, etc etc.

Well one lady just exploded on me and demanded to speak to a supervisor.

It more or less went like this:
:btroll: I find this WHOLE CALL offensive. I need to speak to a supervisor right now.
:colbert: Maam there is no need for you to speak to a supervisor. I already explained what happened and that you just need to resend your payment. I've already set it up so you will not get anymore collections calls
:btroll: This is just so offensive. I am offended. I need to speak to a manager
:colbert: *after a small chuckle* maam what do you think a manager can do for you that I have not already done?
:btroll: Look this whole thing is just offensive and I need to speak to your supervisor RIGHT NOW
:colbert: no maam there is no way I am going to transfer you to my supervisor. There is no reason for you to talk to him and I have already explained that I have corrected all the issues.
:btroll: listen I am offended at this call and everything and blah blah blah 50 more times she says shes offended and its offensive and jesus christ get a new word of the day lady.... so are you going to let me speak with your supervisor or not?
:colbert: nope
*she then hangs up*

Then 2 minutes later I get an IM from some other employee somewhere in the company saying she called back in and he had the pleasure of answering the call and shes demanding to speak to my manager. At this point I bring it up to my manager and he says to transfer her to his voicemail and he'll call her back later. I told the rep who had her on the phone to do this and he says she doesn't want to leave a voicemail. Now why he decided to tell her he was transferring her to voicemail I don't know. The correct course of action is "I'm transferring you to his phone now" and then dropping her off at his voicemail. So then the rep transfers her to my department and the girl who sits behind me gets the call. So finally my manager takes the call and then says exactly everything I told her the last call and even said that I did everything possible for her already. So after 30 minutes on the phone with my company she finally got to talk to a manager who told her the exact same things I told her from our initial 5 minute call.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wish I could conceal carry a pistol at work. I am seriously worried about a borrower coming up and blowing our brains out at the mortgage company I work for. It's incredibly easy to locate our call center and there have been several times where local borrowers have just walked in behind employees to try and deliver documents that should have been mailed.

My only hope is that they decide to go after the main offices which are about a half mile away.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I finally got moved to the dialer team today :woop: no more calls! And even better is that I am now more or less a business analyst which can lead to much greater positions within the company and beyond.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They installed some new Internet monitor today and it blocks pretty much every site I visited before :argh:

But now SA isn't blocked :v:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dryer Lint posted:

Hello call center thread. I too once worked in a call center. It turned me into a bitter, bitter person. Before I went there I was a loving and kind person too meek to even step on a daffodil without feeling remorse. Now I hate the human race. I hate them for being the 90% idiots that they are. People say I'm mean; if only they understood.

This is me. The call center destroyed whatever part of my humanity that retail didn't. I'm not even on the phones anymore. I work in reporting and you think you talk to idiots on the phones? Let me tell you about your bosses boss....

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I like wearing nice clothes to work. :unsmith:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I work in the reporting department of a collections call center and someone else here pulled a list of reasons that customers have given for falling delinquent that contain the word "obama".

The results are just amazing. :allears: I wish I could share them but that would break a few rules. If you have access to the reources to do so at your company, you should try it too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You guys would like mortgage collections.

:argh: I demand you modify my loan to a lower interest rate or ill take my business elsewhere!
:allears: sir, you owe our company $200,000 and you cant make the minimum payment on time. This fact is why your loan was transferred to us in the first place. No other company wants your "business". So how about we work to bring your account in good standing so these calls will stop an eventually you may be able to refinance.
:argh: I demand to speak to your manager!
:allears: My manager cant tell you anything i haven't already
:argh: Put him on!
:allears: Sir, i'm not going to do that so you can work with me or we can call you again in a few hours
:argh: *click*

Manager :respek: Me

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Working mortgage collections made me a bitter dead person inside.

I can't even feel sympathy for those kinds of people anymore. You had loving 90 days to pay one payment of your mortgage to keep it out of foreclosure. Don't call me on day 91 and tell me its my fault we're taking your house away because you were too busy to call yesterday,or answer any of our million outbound calls during any of the past 90 days. Have fun on the streets you stupid fucker.

e: and usually you review the account and you just see endless comments from other people talking to them over the past 90 days and all they ever do is curse and yell at you or put it off another day/week/month. Seriously people, get your poo poo together.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 19, 2014

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Sounds like they have 0 call oversight and no management happening. The call center I used to work with was no where near that bad, but they started to see people hanging up on calls and dropping calls into random call queues. As soon as it started becoming an issue, we started cracking down on people with daily reports showing who was dropping calls and how many times. A bunch of people got fired for it relatively quickly and things shaped up.

I imagine if that hadn't happened, we would end up in the situation described below. It's not easy for them to do what you're asking and they're not going to get punished for anything so gently caress you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Do you work for a mortgage servicer that recently rebranded by any chance?

E: reading your post history you do not work at my old company but it's amazing how similar it all is!

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

moonsour posted:

Our customers swear they didn't need as much documentation to apply for their mortgage!

They only think that because they didn't read any of it and they just bent over while "their" realtor hosed them.