Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Darling
Nov 26, 2007

The inverse of this is wonderful.
So I just started working for another online video game company, not as big as the one I used to be at. Fairly small actually. At the first one I provided phone, web chat, and email support for all the games, tech issues, payments and billing, fraud, terms of service violations, and account restoration. The training was comprehensive and there were a lot of rules, but generally it was a great place to work, aside from the hours. I gained a lot of experience working for a company with a good business model and effective operations. I ended up landing in the hospital for a couple weeks, came back to work for 2 days, then had to go into surgery and was out again for a while. Needless to say I don't work there anymore, I needed time to recover. I'm eligible for rehire, and was waiting for the next opening for recruitment for a while until I found this new opportunity. This place is fuckin' rad. I have a ton more freedom to get things done the way I want them to, the tools are easy to use and don't crash every 10 minutes, and there are so few of us working together at all times, it's easier for us all to be on the same page. No phones, no webchats, they just use zendesk for tickets via email response. No insane metrics or productivity goals like I used to have to hit at the old place, etc. etc. I'm fairly optimistic it's going to be a good experience, but if I were still at the old place and heard how this new place operates, I probably would have trash talked them for being ineffective and bad at support. I guess what I'm getting at is I have a lot of skills and experience from this old place that made it so much easier to transition over to the new one. The way I see my co-workers struggling with things that I've been doing for a while now makes me sad though, esp. because I picked up the new system and new tools/db in 2 days. If you have any questions about this side of the gaming industry, feel free to ask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU