Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
This was a special case/VIP type customer, so I didn't do normal trouble shooting, but:

Them: "Hi, our internet is out."

Me: "Alright, how long has it been out?"

Them: "Well, since sometime last night. We opened at 10 AM today and it has been out all day."

Me: "Okay. I am pretty sure we can have a tech look at it. He should be nearby. One second while I confirm that."

Them: "Well we close at 4."

Me: "Its 3:30 PM here. Are you CST?"

Them: "Yeah."

Me: "Well... I'll see what I can do."

Got off of the phone at like 3:45 PM. Try to get a hold of the technician (it is his day off anyways). No dice, try getting a manager. Manager asks me to call back and do normal trouble shooting. By this time it is 3:55 PM CST. I get voicemail.

Why did you not call at 10 AM? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I'd just like to say I enjoy my call center job. I do tech support so I never have to deal with people angry about billing or anything, and I'd say 95% of the time our service is pretty top notch, and if the customer is complaining about a problem 99% of the time it can be fixed, so there is very little dissatisfaction from callers.

I've only gotten like 4 angry customers in my nine months so far, and three of the four were defused fairly well.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Loving Life Partner posted:

That's one thing I like about Progressive, they don't use handle time as a metric, mostly it's callbacks, the biggest metric is "one call resolution", so handling every piece of business they have without them having to call back for, I think 3 weeks.

I'm with Progressive for insurance and talking to their CC reps is always pretty smooth. I even took their customer satisfaction survey once.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

JackRabbitStorm posted:

This rant is not anything against you, at all, please don't think that.

Our monthly bonuses are dependent on a lot of different metrics, handling time, hold time, calls per hour, not ready time, and QA monitoring scores. They are also dependent on how many customers we get to take our surveys. IF we don't get above a certain percentage, we don't get any bonus. It does not matter how awesome we did on all our other metrics.

What really gets me is the people that call in 5 or 6 times a day for their balance, or to go over the same transactions for the 5, 6th or 7th time, but refuse to take the survey. Or, they'll say that they took the survey last week, they don't need to now. I know people could give a poo poo less about the phone jockey on the other side of the 1-800 number, but it literally takes 30 seconds. Our management does not even care if the customer does the survey, they can hang up as soon as we transfer them to it, as long as it shows the call went into the system, we get credit.

And this isn't me sperging out because I don't get a bonus check at the end of the month, our bonuses are abysmal compared to what they used to. I used to get 300-400 dollars monthly on my bonus. Now a 100% on all metrics and what not nets you 65-75 dollars. The issue is that if we don't get our bonus then we are viewed as not doing our jobs and then we start getting in trouble.

All over loving customer satisfaction surveys.

That really sucks. :(. Is there anyway as a customer I could voice my opinion on this and tell them to knock it off?

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Me: "Alright, if you will just click "Start" or the start icon, its a little blue icon that is the Windows symbol in the lower left corner. This will bring up the start menu."

Her: "Ok."

Me: "Alright, then click "All Programs and-"

Her: "Wait. I'm still trying to get the menu to come up."

Me: "Ok."

*Time passes*

Me: "Did you find it?"

Her: "Find what?"

Me: "The start menu."

Her: "Huh"

Me: "Ff you will just click "Start" or the start icon, its a little blue icon that is the Windows symbol in the lower left corner. This will bring up the start menu."

Her: "Whats that"

Me: *describes in even greater detail*

Her: "Oh, I found it."

Me: "Ok, now click "All Programs""

Her: "My computer froze."

Me: "Alright, lets give it a minute."

*three minutes pass with silence*

Me: "Are you there?"

Her: "Oh yeah."

Me: "Is it still froze?"

Her: "Oh, no. It started working."

Me: "Ok, lets click "All Programs."

Her: "My battery fell out of my laptop. Its booting back up now."

Me: ":'("

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I'm getting promoted to tier 2 as soon as they hire a replacement for me on tier 1 and I recover from surgery. Aw yeah.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

modeski posted:

You may find it's a mixture of people misinforming customers, but often it's a case of customers only hearing what they want to hear and ignoring anything they don't like.

One tip is to make sure you put good notes in a customer's file. If your call centre has a culture of good call documentation it'll make your life a shitload easier.

I have access to listen to calls for quality purposes and some of the crap I hear our CC reps pull is insane.

CC Rep: "No, we do not allow Xbox 360s on our network. Sorry."
*looks up how long rep has been with company. 3 years.*

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I got a 47% raise today, so that was cool.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

What did you have to do to get that kind of raise?

I sure hope it's cool.

I said, "Hey I need a raise," and they gave me the "we can only do raises once a year."

So I went and got another job, put in my two weeks, they asked me how they could get me to stay.

Other job was awful though, I was nervous I was going to have to actually work it. It was data entry for a Bank of America contractor. 18 hour shifts of just labeling pictures. Soooo bad.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Bovine Delight posted:

Hahahaha, this is outstanding. Why on earth would any company want to do 18 hour shifts? It's well known that your employee productivity would be absolute garbage after even a 10 hour shift, especially if it's repetition work.

One point in my career I effectively doubled my salary over 2 years, which was pretty sweet. Sadly as it scales up, it would take a lot more money to double it nowadays.

I don't know. I did not understand it. The shift was from 5:30 AM to 8:30 PM. And the lady that was training me trained me by going, "Well, when I train people they usually just get more confused. So here is the program, just dive in!"

And while I was labeling pictures, I had to label them for special things and what not, but she did not tell me what these special things were and there was no guide book/cheat sheet type thing and I had no previous experience in this industry. I made a mistake and she sort of had a mini freak out, but didn't even really tell me what I did wrong. :(

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

rolleyes posted:

That's a problem with your employer's business model, don't blame your customers. If it's not profitable to allow it then management shouldn't allow it. If it's a legal right then that's the market your employer chose to operate in so they should have factored in having to swallow those costs.

End of the day, your customers have every right to ask for that if their contract allows it and "in this economy" I can fully understand people who need to save wherever they can.

drat right. I have a nice savings account but Progressive lets me move my due date around and I do that all of the time to optimize the amount of cash I have on hand in case of an emergency.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I am so loving sick of Call Center office politics.

Why am I being passed up for every position by people I trained? If I was not qualified for the position, why am I stuck training every loving nerfherder that walks through these doors.

gently caress this job. I need to win the lottery or some poo poo.

Ugh, /rant.

I hear you. I got a raise but I'm stuck doing the same lame tasks. My direct boss just got a promotion (but is still over me as well) to a level right underneath the founders, and has been recommending me for a promotion for months and I keep getting passed up.

He told me a few days ago to put in some more initiative, even though I am surpassing a significant amount of people and have tier 2 asking me for help on some things. There are only a few more things I can actually put more effort into.

Have you tried just straight up asking someone?

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Yeah. I have been super proactive about advancing in the department, and each time I am given the run around or lame rear end excuses.

Telling my my knowledge base is not on par with the new hire thats been here 2 months? Bull loving poo poo. I have been here for 4 years, and I just got done crash course training them because we didn't have time to properly train them.

Telling me no positions are available for that team? Okay, I get that. Don't promote someone 2 weeks later to the position I just asked about.

Tell me its because my school availability is only 24 hours a week during school, I get that, its understandable. Hiring someone back after they no called no showed and can only give 15 hours a week. Bullshit.

If you've been there for four years are you in a position to seek a higher tier job somewhere similar?

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Unfortunately nothing else in the area pays what I make nchool schedule w or can work around my school schedule as well as this job. And its not like I am making a lot (at 14/hour)

Just trying to bide my time until I graduate so I can take what will then be 7 years experience at a leasding bank and a fresh business degree and go work in an actual brick and mortar branch. Delusions of grandeuer I am sure in this economy. But I have 3 years left of my degree, so hopefully the economy will make a turn around by then.

(Also apologize for bad spelling if there are any errors here, broke my glasses last night and am half blind. Hopefully the optometrist can fix them as work is not going to be happy with me if I say I cannot work cause I am blind as a bat)

I am actually in the same position (not been there as long though). I have 1 year at this job then 5 at a previous one doing tech related stuff. I've gotten offered a couple of other better paying jobs in the same sector but none of them were accommodating for college.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I don't add coworkers to Facebook.

I was stalking other coworkers' Facebooks though, and found one dude with a blog about how women need to submit to men and how they're bitches and youth today suck, etc.

No surprise he is the worst at his job.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I just had the worst customer service experience with Cox. Jesus loving christ. I had their service for less than two hours before I called in to cancel my account. I finally got some help once I said I was canceling and got transferred to retention.

I talked to like 6 people and the final verdict was, "Pay us 30 dollars to diagnose the problem."

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

jassi007 posted:

I'd love to hear more about this. I don't work for Cox, but I do work for a cable company. By the info you've given, I'm assuming you just got installed for some services and they weren't working? I can't imagine what they'd charge you $30 for, unless it was to send a tech out.

I know with our company, if someone opts to do a self install of services to avoid an installation fee and it fails, then they go right back to having to pay for an installation. Wouldn't happen to be a situation like that would it?

The list of problems goes on, let me begin:

1) The sales rep could not find my address in the system, even though I have had Cox internet before. It took a long loving time for him to get me up and running. He finally found it.

2) I also wanted to add another address to my account, my girlfriend's apartment, but they couldn't find her address at all and told me there was no way for her to get internet if they couldn't find her address, even though she lives in the building right next to me and other people in her building have internet. It wasn't an issue of it not being provided, the person on the phone just couldn't work the program correctly. I gave up on this avenue, GF does not have internet.

3) Once he activated my account I couldn't get online. They jump straight to it being a problem with my modem. Not in a "its hooked up wrong" type way but a, "yeah you need to buy our special modem." type bullshit.

4) This run around continued forever, and then I find out I have a "connection fee" that the sales guy on the phone didn't mention to me that I also must pay.

5) Finally after being apathetic dicks this entire time they tell me 30 dollars to send a tech out. The 30 dollars isn't what pissed me off. If the customer service hadn't been just "well gently caress you buddy" type stuff, I'd have been more than happy with the fee, but dealing with them from the start was like pulling teeth.

The 30 charge for a tech just pushed me over the edge, their lovely customer service was the real problem. I called in to cancel my account and the retention department waived the 30 charge and the tech came out today and fixed it (problem on their end inside the cable box).

Since he was the only friendly and competent person I dealt with I called in after he left and said he was awesome and he kept me from cancelling.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Aw yeah. Finally officially promoted to tier 2. :woop::woop:

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, "Things work until they break" is something I say at least once every day and it's rapidly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves to hear 'It was working fine yesterday!'. Of course it was. If it broke yesterday, your dumb rear end would've called us yesterday.

I am an on site technician as well as a call center person. Walked into an apartment the other day and dealt with the same thing. "Well my laptop worked a few months ago."

"It doesn't now though. Everyone else can connect to the internet. I can connect. Your roommates can connect. You can even connect, it is just that you drop every 5th packet."

"I don't understand."

"Well a packet is like a piece of info-"

"No, not that. I don't care about that. I don't understand why everyone else's connection works but mine doesn't."

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Science posted:

Anyone here do QA/QTM/QC for their CC?

I just got re-assigned to it and my training has consisted of "this is how you listen to the calls". I'm trying to make our CC suck a bit less - some of our agents are absolute garbage and it's really hard to get fired from this place because our attrition rate is higher than most centres.

Anyone have any experience / tips / insight as to how your call centre does it?

I have done it in the passed but got moved off due to some higher priority stuff.

We just had a form to fill out when listening to calls. Did the agent do x? Yes, ok.

Then at the end you could throw in additional comments for things that didn't fit the usual listed metrics, like, "Agent seemed to be in a bad mood that day. He is normally pretty good." or "Caller was very very rude." or something.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

who needs one bit of software when you can have 12.

Oh gently caress. Don't even get me started. I have about 8 different things I have to login to with different names/passwords.

And now that I am on tier 2, when I complete training, it will be like 15 different programs.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

Does anyone else's center or company have problems when it comes to promoting or shifting people to different departments? Specifically in the amount of time it takes?

I applied for a position in the billing unit of the company I work for and it took about 5 weeks to get an interview. That first interview was 7 weeks ago and no one who interviewed has gotten a 2nd one yet but all of our applications are rated as 'Still pending'. Just wondering if anyone else has waited 4+ months to find out if they got a new position or not.

My job promotes people fairly easily, but then delays required training forever, to the point I was on tier 2 without access to some essential tools. I got to go to all the upper level meetings, had access to most cool things, but actual training to fill in my knowledge gaps is still pending.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
My call center lets us hang up on verbally abusive customers. It is great. You have to get authorization first, so people don't hang up for BS reasons, but they are pretty lenient.

To all the Progressive Reps out there, is there anyway to get my due date permanently changed? Right now it is on the 5th, and for various reasons it is loving annoying to have it then. I am able to have my due date on all payments except the first and the last moved to the 15th or something, but I have to manually request each time.

I asked (politely) if there was a way and the rep said no. I didn't push because I didn't want to be a dick and it isn't that big of a deal.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I was on tier 2 the other day and a rep reported issues with the system so I made a test call using my cell phone to myself to see if the system passed it along correctly. While doing this I did not make a ticket.

Apparently I just received a warning for not making a ticket with every phone call and a snippy note about being an experienced employee and knowing better than to take a call without a ticket.

I cannot wait to not deal with loving call center bullshit anymore.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

My call center has decided that, due to business needs, they're going to be putting split-hour shifts in our next bid. So some people are going to be working from 9am-1pm and 6pm-10pm each day. I guess in a bad economy, you can just do whatever the gently caress you want with your employees.

Split shifts are awful. If I had to work them regularly I might actually kill myself.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

hooray for being good at telemarketing. :smith:

Just got told that there's no hope for a promotion, being as myself and the one other person who got hired on to do telemarketing (the other 4 in the department getting shoved there after failing at inbound calls after we started doing telemarketing last year) are the only two that make our numbers every day. fml. In a department of six, there's really no room for one of us to be supervisor, and the rest of the department hates us because well, we're the ones that they measure them against. gently caress. I mean, I like the job security and all, knowing they won't can me because I'm the most profitable person in the company, but...nothing sucks like your boss telling you "you're stuck there forever because you make too much money to move to inbound calls"

Sounds like it is time to start applying else where.

I got told pretty much the same thing recently, "Currently the company is too small and you are too good at your job so you won't move up for awhile."

I pretended to be cool with it, but I am just hanging around until I graduate college. I'll be able to find a new full time job after that. I've already gotten some pretty good offers (40k a year) but they were all full time which meant quitting school my senior year, so I had to decline. :\

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
WE ARE NOW TAKING INBOUND TICKETS VIA SMS.

FROM REGULAR PEOPLE.

THIS IS THE WORST loving IDEA I HAVE EVER HEARD.

I CANNOT HELP BUT TYPE IN CAPS.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

trunkwontopen posted:

How come I get the impression of this announcement getting sent to you(your team) in caps lock?

It wasn't. But jesus loving christ. We aren't even responding back to them via text message, we have to then call them back.

All that is going to happen is a bunch of people are going to send in:

mY eNtErNeT AiN't Wrkn. FIX ASAP. PLZ K.

We will call them back, "Oh, its working now."

repeat 20x a day.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

trunkwontopen posted:

We have a website set up that customers can not only create their own tickets, but they can escalate them. We get tickets that have been opened for an hour, that are already escalated to VP level, because one computer out of 36 cannot get online.

We provide internet services. Our responsibility ends at the router.

We have a web form for tickets, and those are already pretty bad (They cannot escalate though). We usually get really weird things like:

"My mac address doesn't work" or "Can you please fix my washing machine," because they think they are submitting a request to their apartment's maintenance facility. I can only assume that the level of discourse from a text message will be even worse.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

BigDave posted:

Had a rough day yesterday. Our queue never got below 15, and this is supposed to be our 'off season' with Holiday being over. It was 10 minutes to closing, and I got this loving psycho from Tennessee on my line. He was calling about this $1000 Text Message scam that's been going around, and kept threatening to call Nancy Grace and we were behind the scam and a bunch of tin-foil hat poo poo.

The part where it got creepy was when he kept saying that the text message 'dun touched ma 13 years old daughter' and we were 'kiddy touchers'. He got really graphic in describing how the text message 'dun touched ma daughter'. I got him to a sup who had to hang up on him, this guy was so loving crazy. I mean like Ted Bundy or Berkowitz crazy. This guy had one of those serial killer voices too, I half expected him to tell me to squeal like a pig.

Idiots I can handle, angry people I can handle. But psychos always get under my skin, and I always end their calls feeling a little afraid.

Edit: And he called back twice. With the same thing.

Yeah, that creeps me out. We had a guy call once who spoke like that word spaghetti that you see Schizophrenics type on the internet sometimes. It was weird.

Related to that, as I think I mentioned before, I also do field work sometimes (Weird call center set up) and had to go into a residence the other day, and inside the bedroom were just bottles of piss, everywhere. So many bottles. I just left. I couldn't do it.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Benzoyl Peroxide posted:

What the gently caress? Why would anyone think being so harsh is a good idea?

You know, I'm very curious where the iron fistedness of call centers come from. It doesn't make any sense. I'm fairly certain there haven't been any studies done that show these type of policies are beneficial profit/business wise (If so, please link me, I'm very curious.). Its weird. Fast food places aren't even that tyrannical to their employees.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Effexxor posted:

I'm pretty sure that that's illegal. At least in my state, we have to have 15 minute breaks every 2 and a half hours, and I live in a state that has crappy right to work laws and is 'very business friendly'.

Oklahoma has no mandatory breaks. :(

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

UtahIsNotAState posted:

I was wondering if any ex-call center employees are dealing with phone phobias in new positions.

Working in a cal center has made me much less fearful of phones, but I was always pretty introverted and have been becoming more social since getting my call center job, so it may be a coincidence.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I want to do this to a guy and I don't QA. Listening to that fucker spew poo poo about how a small (Category 2) hurricane destroyed the power grid so bad it affected power in a huge city 400 miles away, or how the government is forcing wireless manufacturers to make their modems less powerful on the wireless side so they only cover a certain area. I really need to start my list back up of "Troyisms". How the gently caress he's still a Tier 3 agent I don't know.

If a power plant gets destroyed/goes down unexpectedly it can have pretty far reaching consequences. The U.S. grid is all tangled together and not very robust.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
My 8 person team has lost 2 people and 1 got demoted. Another is probably going to quit in the next 2-3 months when they get into grad school.

That cuts our already short staffed team in half. And we have no one to promote up because people in entry levels keep leaving (we're a very flat company. entry > my team > manager > founder). We have lost 16% of our total work force in the past 3 months and have replaced 11% of that 16 this month, but they all have to be trained.

I need out.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

Maybe this is just something that is impossible to get over, but how do you make yourself stop dreading going to work?

Shoot myself in the face.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

Oh good, we now only get paid 7.75 hours a day though we're here a full 8.5 hours. Wonder how they'll screw me over next? Wish they'd use lube when they gently caress me repeatedly in the rear end.

You're getting paid only .50/hour more for call center work? Try something like this:

http://www.convergys.com/company/careers/work-at-home/index.php?cmp=default&tab=100DioD

I can't think of anyone I know doing call center work that is making less than 9/hr.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

Third worst. Yay. :smith:

We get paid double time and a half, but I'd rather spend the time with my mom and dad than get paid a lot for one day when everybody and their mums will be calling in demanding to know why their brand new shiny cell phone isn't doing this, that or the other thing.

I would trade my parents for double time and a half. I get no bonus pay unless I go over 40 hours, then it is only time and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Free at last. I am done with my call center.