Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cicero posted:

How do you get a twenty grand phone bill? Watching youtube without a data plan?

Yeah, what the hell? I guess that's what you get for streaming 4K and 1080p videos on your phone all day.

edit: Also, for the person considering call center work, whether or not you'll be on commission makes a BIG difference. If you're not on commission I think the work's a lot easier to rationalize as you can just completely tune out, read, etc. Being on commission is very stressful as many of the factors that determine your success are completely beyond your control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Unfortunately, it's a legitimate concern. Offshore call centers often aren't as empowered as domestic ones, and if they're cheap, their language and CS skills are often lacking as well.

I work for a huge company and our domestic call center is empirically better than our Filipino one. Granted, we're paying the center in the Philippines virtually nothing compared to our American one, but still...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Radbot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

legsarerequired posted:

I was repeatedly told I lacked discipline because of this, and the manager would tell us in meetings that none of us could handle an office job if we couldn't hold off from using the bathroom.

Oh my good god, this is literally the least true thing that has ever been uttered by a human. That sounds like something a high school guidance counselor would say.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
As a former call center worker who has graduated to the glorious realm of TPS reports and coversheets, I just want to say to never, ever let call center bosses get you down. Now that I get to decide which contact centers live and die based on my analysis, it really puts the bullshit I experienced in perspective.

Don't give up and don't apply to just call centers. Apply for marketing coordinator and similar positions, learn the ropes, and keep job hopping every one or two years until you're a manager.