Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Hello goons I just started working for a major phone company in their CS/Billing department, I'm four weeks in (just finished training) and yesterday morning I had a severe panic attack/breakdown at work!

I used to work for a bank before the UK banking system went to utter poo poo 10 years ago, and thought that time would have mellowed me out/hardened me to petty bullshit customers, but whoops haha I hate it and want to die

The call centre is roughly a 7 min walk to the bus/a 10 minute bus ride or a good ~50 minute walk from where I live, and I'm on 12-12.5 hour shifts depending (one week I work 45 over 4 days, the next week 35 over 3)

Buses leave at 7 minutes past the hour late at night so there's virtually zero realistic chance of me being able to catch my bus home unless I try the shady call avoidance poo poo which generally gets sniffed out by the secret police within seconds, which means most nights I'm walking home or begging for lifts from coworkers, and walking in to work at 6:45am every other Sunday :suicide:

I can deal with the actual calls just fine generally, but the bullshit of every single metric (CSAT surveys where most people give either flat 10s or flat 0s, , First Call Resolution - because I can totally control the people I've spoken to and their capricious whims w/r/t immediately calling back about another issue they never discussed with me, break times logged to the very second, 4 minutes of toilet time per 12 hour day, network promotion, sales transfers, after call work, hold time etc etc) seems unrealistic and extremely nebulous. I can't just switch off when some asshat comes barging on the line demanding to speak to a manager because I'm not poo poo and they're more important than me wasting their precious time.

I had a young woman call in Thursday morning complaining about us charging her VAT.

Last I checked, if you purchase any single thing ever in the UK, you are charged VAT. She did not understand this! I patiently explained it to her, she called me a oval office and hung up!

She was then sent a survey where she scored me flat 0s and said I was a horrendous prick! Managers have to call customers who gave flat 0s back and ask them why and she made up some complete bull about me being abusive/swearing at her (luckily every single call is monitored)

I am caring for my elderly senile grandmother in my spare time, she can't even recognize who I am half the time and called me on the way home to congratulate me on getting the job last night, a job I've been telling her about every day

So I came into work extremely upset and stressed and had a meltdown to my manager

Basically I can see this job destroying my already fragile mental health and should take the 6 weeks~ of training money and run before the 12 shour shifts grind me down. My Team Leader obviously doesn't want this to happen and is scheduling me mental health risk assessments + counselling.

What should I do help goons

e: Yes I'm in the UK

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU