Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've been reading the last twenty pages of this thread over the past couple days and I've enjoyed Life Partner's posts about car salesmen. They will call your insurance agent, your employer, anyone they can to close a sale. It does not surprise me in the least that they called on behalf of the customer to request changes to their policy.

I don't know if this is something you deal with Life Partner, but has anyone ever called you to have the address on their policy changed and then asked for a new copy of the binder to be sent immediately? I used to work for "The Bank" that financed the purchase of the expensive policies you made for idiot teenagers with no motorcycle license buying 1600cc Victory Eightballs or whatever Organ Donormobile they were stupid enough to buy. Calling up the insurance agency to request an address change and a new copy of the binder was a common trick to get past our Proof of Residence requirement when Mommy's Little Loser Who Doesn't Pay Any Bills couldn't produce proof that he lived where he said he lived.

And yeah, they literally do run away once it gets to the insurance stage and the sale is closed. I used to keep logs of when I emailed salespeople because they hosed up our lienholder information on the binder, and I would gleefully c/p it into responses to their manager when they emailed me to ask why they had not been funded. gently caress salespeople.

Also I have to imagine the salespeople you dealt with were exceptionally incompetent. Any salesperson worth his salt has contacts with his local State Farm/Allstate/Independent Agent and just has them either enter a request to adjust the policy or create one with the info the customer has already given them. The fact that they're calling what sounds like a corporate office tells me that they're new or exceptionally stupid. You have an independent agent fax you a new binder and never show it to the customer if you want to make that sale.

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

krampster2 posted:

Are there ways to deal with my eyes watering up constantly? I have messed up eyes that get all teary from staring at a screen for ages even when the screen is on minimum brightness. Please don't tell me I have to wear silly yellow glasses at work.

If they are watering up because you are staring for too long without blinking then try lubricating gel drops. They basically create a film over your eyes that prevents them from drying out.

The active ingredient is carboxymethyl-cellulose sodium. Just look for that on the generic version.

Sticking a post it note with the word BLINK written on it at the bottom of your screen might also be a useful reminder.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
$5K is ~$2.40 extra per hour before taxes so consider whether that's worth hating your job.

You can always apply elsewhere on the clock at your current position.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I used to spend several hours a week making collections calls at a sub-prime vehicle finance office. This was in house, so I was trying to get people to pay us before we initiated repo and sent them to collections. I really didn't care (I hated that company) and was willing to let anything slide so long as they committed to some kind of payment plan that would get them current.

Most our clients were just irresponsible, rather than unforunate. But it still sucked when grown adults you'd been trying to reach for weeks finally called you, sobbing hysterically, because the repo truck was in front of their home and minutes away from taking the vehicle back. It's not like it should have been a surprise to them, but it definitely wasn't fun hearing them at another low point in their lives.

Although I did get a perverse joy from loving with a couple guys. One had never made a single payment since he drove the vehicle off the lot and would only return calls to demand that I stop calling the references he listed, which were his mother and a previous employer. The other was a complete retard who would have his son call in and say stuff like, "Oh yeah, my dad got your message and says he's gonna call you real soon!" as if that was going to somehow make us call off the repo guys. Seriously didn't get the reasoning behind that, it would have been better for him to just not call at all.

It's not like either guy deserved a lot of sympathy, but looking back I'm not proud of the fact that I was basically harassing people on behalf of a predatory company that I didn't think deserved to exist in the first place.

Oddly enough I once had a guy call me from rehab several months after I ceased making attempts to contact him. He apologized for not making payments and tried to give us the location of the vehicle as best he could remember. We never got ti back, but I hope that dude is doing better.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Never did this while working a phone, but at a retail outlet I worked at I realized the tech team did not password lock Google because they would use it to look up solutions for fixing the computers. When I worked at a slow stand I would use Google cache to read stuff, since everythig viewed through Google was fine. Dunno if that will work for you but it's worth a shot and gently caress them for making you sit there and stare at the ceiling.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nine Five Four posted:

I'm nearly halfway through a part time MBA program in finance. I'm a career changer, so while I have a math background, I don't have any banking/investing/general finance experience. I am good at and love crunching numbers though. Career goal is a financial analyst role.

Start studying for your CFA tests if you haven' t already.

Edit: I guess if you're looking into finance (rather than banking/lending) then you should clarify exactly what you'll be selling. Selling credit cards and home mortgages is not the same as selling securities (which would require a Series 7 certification). The closest you would get to that at a call bank is possibly making calls to find leads for the in-house Financial Advisor (think B of A and Merrill-Lynch). And I doubt that would be the case, since any sales agent would want to know who is making their lead-generating calls. At least in the (admittedly short) working experience I have had in finance.

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 18, 2016

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Passing the CFA test is not the same as becoming a charterholder. Having passed it will look very good on a resume.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You're welcome. Please see above for my edit in case you missed it, knowing what you're selling will give you an idea if you're actually going to learn anything about investing.

It's probably best to ask your professor for a little guidance. I know one of the sales VP's at my office taught a finance MBA program for a bit. It's not unlikely that your professors have finance employment backgrounds, so they can probably give you a little guidance on where to apply and get your feet wet.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That reminds me, I was at a job I ended up absolutely hating and was desperate to get out. I made the mistake of putting my resume up on Monster and the only non-insurance response I got was from McMaster-Carr to be one of their sales reps (just a call center job in reality). They caught me on the drive to work so I scheduled a call back later that day. Before calling them I did a little research on Glassdoor. Usually it's not that helpful and there are barely any reviews. McMaster-Carr had 400+ reviews, nearly all of them negative and the closest they came to positive was still middling.

To give you an idea of how bad this company you've likely never heard of is, Rite-Aid has 1.8K reviews and Ford Motor Company has 1.5K. A quick rundown of the major complaints:

-90+ page handbook for writing emails to customers.
-Weekly performance evaluations in which you could get written up for making a typo in an email.
-Constant management turnover.
-All managers were recent college grads with no work experience, no promotion from within
-General feeling of suicidal depression in the office

This led to the following conversation:

"I saw your Glassdoor page and I was a bit worried by the reviews, which were largely negative."

"Well, those tend to be written by unhappy employees."

"Yeah, but I've never seen 40 plus pages of bad reviews on any company I've ever looked at."

(Angry silence)

"Is it true your handbook for writing emails is over 90 pages long?"

"It is comprehensive."

"I'm looking to get out of my current position, but I'm just not interested in what you're offering. Thanks for your consideration."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Congratulations!