Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Lothire posted:

So I tried replaying missions in order to get the Spurred To Victory trophy, but I did 25 replays with no success. I used the fastest mission I could think of (Pestilence, where you shoot the crows away from the corn) and it saved after each one, but I never got it. I can only assume the mission just doesn't count.

Has anyone gotten it from replaying missions, and which ones did you do?

Is that the same horse for 20 missions one? Maybe it needs to be 20 different missions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Bum the Sad posted:

Can you explain lassoing to me? drat thign seems buggy as gently caress it always randomly just stops having them roped and I have to throw it five more times. I am pretty sure that's not how a lasso worked.

Hold LT, press, but leg go of, RT.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Kiwillian posted:

Is that the same horse for 20 missions one? Maybe it needs to be 20 different missions?

It is. That could be the case, though someone in the last thread suggested doing a quick to finish mission 20 times.

In the case of replaying 20 different missions, I think I'd rather just replay the game from the start. Would be quicker/easier.

\/\/ - Thanks. After beating this game, I find I am still not satisfied. Popping off shots is just too much fun.

Also, my favorite quote: "You couldn't shoot a fart out of yer own rear end!"

Lothire fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 28, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, sorry about that. Early on both PS3T and X360A both believed it was possible for the achievement to unlock by simply repeating levels but apparently you do need to actually complete missions for it to count. You could theoretically start a new game and get it though, according to the good people at X360A.org there are these many missions in New Austin

Bonnie Macfarlane (8)
Marshal Johnson (5)
Nigel Dickens (5)
Seth (3)
Irish (4)

I imagine if you skipped cutscenes and fast traveled a lot, you could wrap that achievement up really quickly.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I need to stop playingh bloody Poker in the game. I'd gotten up to a 1000 chips, then busted trying to cheat during the deal when it was down to one other NPC. ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-

So I went and watched a movie, and got the one about the guy selling tonics. Laughed. My. Arse. Off.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
I just had an awesome time trying to get some of the multiplayer outlaw achievements. Me and a posse of a couple other guys holed up in the top floor of the Armadillo saloon, picking off any lawmen coming in from the entrances. I had my bounty up to 1000 until the other players on the server got whiff of our bounties and trickled in carefully trying to pick us off from the top floor windows. Eventually the entire town of Armadillo became a free for all as numerous posses fought each other to get the privilege of killing us for out bounties.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
CPU checks.
You bet 10.
CPU folds.

CPU bets 6.
You bet 20.
CPU folds.

CPU checks.
You bet 20.
CPU folds.

CPU checks.
You bet 5.
CPU calls 5.
You raise 5.
CPU folds.

:smug:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

ShowTime posted:

I have full positive honor and I still haven't gotten my Obscuridad del Santo Andres, where do I get it?
You get it through a random world event where a nun approaches you and gives it to you. You can't trigger it and you can't go to a certain spot to obtain it, it just happens. You can try exiting the game and reloading but that probably won't help things. You just have to wait for it to happen.

Welp, yesterday a nun approached me and said something, but I was already riding full speed on my horse and I ran her over. -100 honor. And I guess she would have given me my Obscuridad del Santo Andres (whatever that is). Here's hoping I run into her again (but not actually run into her again)!

Swordfish
Aug 15, 2001

I am the world's worst poker player, but I have noticed that the CPU is indeed a huge easily bluffed pussy. Well, some of them are. I am right in noticing that different NPCs play poker differently, right? Herbert Moon seems to bluff like a motherfucker, but Rufus (?) will fold instantly if you bet big. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I know Capn Beeb already posted a list, but as I went through the game I made note of all the cheat locations, if anyone wants to check them out in person. Some of the unknowns will probably be Social Club Challenge unlocks only, but there might be a few more hidden in the game world. The unknowns were discovered via save file edits, so they're just placeholders for now until we figure out how to activate them.

These aren't case sensitive but you may want to use a chatpad or dig up an old USB keyboard to make enterting them easier.

Invincibility - He gives strength to the weak (newspaper #61)
Infinite Dead Eye - I don't understand imnfinity (written on a wall at Primera Quebrada ruins)
Infinite Horse Stamina - Make hay while the sun shines (newspaper #54)
Infinite Ammo - Abundance is everywhere (newspaper #58)
Every shot counts (single bullet kills and deaths) - *Social Club unlock* (Solomon's Folly challenge; PS3 only so far)
Rubber Horse - ???
Money ($500) - The root of all evil, we thank you! (written on some boards in Plata Grande mine)
Donkey Rider (spawn donkey) - *Social Club sign-up unlock*
Horse (spawn horse) - Beasts and man together (carved above the door inside the shack at Lake Don Julio)
Coach (spawn stagecoach) - Now who put that there? (carved onto the open shelter at The Scratching Post)
Diplomatic Immunity (no bounty or wanted level) - I wish I worked for Uncle Sam (newspaper #57)
Increase Bounty - *Social Club sign-up unlock*
Decrease Bounty - They sell souls cheap here (carved on Benedict Pass bridge)
Clear Bounty - *Social Club unlock* (Twin Rocks challenge)
Gun Set 1 - It's my constitutional right (written inside a chicken coop at Nosalida)
Gun Set 2 - I'm an American. I need guns (newspaper #56)
Gun Set 3 - *Social Club unlock* (Gaptooth Breach challenge)
Gun Set 4 - *Social Club unlock* (Tumbleweed challenge)
Punchout (one-punch KO's) - *Social Club unlock* (Blackwater challenge)
Famous (max fame) - I am one of them famous fellas (written on the side of The Old Bacchus Place)
Who? (no fame) - Humility before the lord (written on the wall of a ruined grave at Sepulcro)
Good guy (max honor) - It aint pride. It's honor (newspaper #59)
Bad Guy (no honor) - *Social Club sign-up unlock*
So-so Guy (neutral honor) - *Social Club sign-up unlock*
Change Weather - *Social Club sign-up unlock*
Beastmaster (lethal animals won't attack you unless attacked; non-lethal animals will flock around you) - *Social Club unlock* (Legendary Marksman challenge)
Hitchcock - ???
Old School (sepia filter) - The old ways is the best ways (newspaper #53)
Guns Blazing (flaming bullets) - *Social Club unlock* (Pike's Basin challenge)
Hic (drunk mode) - I'm drunk as a skunk and twice as smelly (carved above door next to save room at Rathskeller Fork)
Sharp Dressed Man (gentleman's suit) - Don't you look fine and dandy (newspaper #60)
Man In Uniform (military/federal outfits) - I love a man in uniform (written on the back of rail car at Pacific Union RR camp)
Gang Chic (gang outfits) - You think you tough, Mister? (written on a wall at Barranca ruins)
Lewis and Clark (unlock all areas) - You got yourself a fine pair of eyes (newspaper #55)
Jack Attack(turn John into Jack) - Oh my son, my blessed son (written on the inside of Beecher's Hope barn loft)
Right to bear arms (all civilians pack heat) - *Social Club unlock* (Tesoro Azul challenge)
Rise up (NPC's attack you) - *Social Club unlock* (Nosalida challenge)
Dead-Eye Level 1 - *Social Club sign-up unlock*
Dead-Eye Level 2 - *Social Club sign-up unlock*
Dead-Eye Level 3 - *Social Club unlock* (Fort Mercer challenge)

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 12, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Swordfish posted:

Herbert Moon seems to bluff like a motherfucker,

Herbert Moon is a motherfucker :argh:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Digital Scumbag posted:

CPU checks.
You bet 10.
CPU folds.

CPU bets 6.
You bet 20.
CPU folds.

CPU checks.
You bet 20.
CPU folds.

CPU checks.
You bet 5.
CPU calls 5.
You raise 5.
CPU folds.

:smug:

CPU bets 50
CPU raises 75
CPU raises 150
You all in 200
CPU folds.

You had nothing.

gently caress it's easy to bluff the AI.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lothire posted:

So I tried replaying missions in order to get the Spurred To Victory trophy, but I did 25 replays with no success. I used the fastest mission I could think of (Pestilence, where you shoot the crows away from the corn) and it saved after each one, but I never got it. I can only assume the mission just doesn't count.

Has anyone gotten it from replaying missions, and which ones did you do?

It has to be a combat mission, says it right in the description even. Do the mission with the sheriff where you have to go to the bar, follow the guy, then it gives you the cover tutorial. Run ahead of the sheriff, skip the cut scenes, and just run through and blast everyone. I got it first try when I went for it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
"Enough about sport, let's get back to politics!" :smug:

gently caress you Abraham Reyes.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

TheJoker138 posted:

It has to be a combat mission, says it right in the description even. Do the mission with the sheriff where you have to go to the bar, follow the guy, then it gives you the cover tutorial. Run ahead of the sheriff, skip the cut scenes, and just run through and blast everyone. I got it first try when I went for it.

That sounds like the Political Realities In Armadillo mission. I'll give it a go, thanks.

But for referance, there are two trophies in my trophy list that are Hidden and thus have no description. There were more, but they openned up as I did the story line. Out of all the trophies in my list, this particular one does not show, so I assume is one of those two still hidden.

None of the guides referancing the trophy (gamefaqs and such) describe it needing to be a combat mission, saying simply to not hitch a horse for 20 missions, so this vital bit of info has been able to elude me.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

2ndclasscitizen posted:

CPU bets 50
CPU raises 75
CPU raises 150
You all in 200
CPU folds.

You had nothing.

gently caress it's easy to bluff the AI.

I dunno, that one Mexican guy bets super loving big and always has flushes or a high two pair. Was winning like a motherfunster and then lost 900 chips in one hand.

:siren: Thing what you might not know what is useful, yeah? :siren:

If you set a waypoint on your map, then use your campsite, you can travel to the waypoint. Extremely useful at times.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lothire posted:

That sounds like the Political Realities In Armadillo mission. I'll give it a go, thanks.

But for referance, there are two trophies in my trophy list that are Hidden and thus have no description. There were more, but they openned up as I did the story line. Out of all the trophies in my list, this particular one does not show, so I assume is one of those two still hidden.

None of the guides referancing the trophy (gamefaqs and such) describe it needing to be a combat mission, saying simply to not hitch a horse for 20 missions, so this vital bit of info has been able to elude me.

Ignore me. I misread what achievement you were going for. I think those have to be consecutive missions in the game dude, sorry.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
:( Thanks for being quick with the reply anyways. No big deal, new game = another excuse to shoot more people.

e: though out of curiosity, what trophy were you thinking of? might still need whatever it is.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 28, 2010

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I set up camp and the game said ''Funny man challenge failed''. I wasn't even nearby when this happened?
Any ideas? I didn't see a timer or anything.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Finally beat it and: This. loving. Game.

That is all. Now to 100%.

err
Apr 11, 2005

northerain posted:

I set up camp and the game said ''Funny man challenge failed''. I wasn't even nearby when this happened?
Any ideas? I didn't see a timer or anything.

Reload to a previous save, although I thought it would automatically if you failed a stranger mission.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Speaking of stranger missions, I just did the one where the guy begged me to go and search his love. Turns out it was a horse, I expected something like that, but it was awesome because the lady that stood next to it couldn't stop laughing.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So I went and watched a movie, and got the one about the guy selling tonics. Laughed. My. Arse. Off.

That tapeworm scene... :gonk:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks to Mr. West-Dickens and the miracles of science, John Marston has obtained the prototype eight-legged Stretch Horse, for the cowboy who wishes to travel in comfort and modernity:

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Can you see different films in the same town? Or is it one film per town or something? (Not that many seem to have a cinema).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lothire posted:

I swear that Trophy is glitched to gently caress. I ran through all of mexico, all of black water and all of the final missions without losing my horse or hitching it and i still didnt get it. The only thing i can think of is that fast travelling via stage coaches fucks it up because that's the only other thing i did involving horses/travelling.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Bought it yesterday and love it so far except that the game froze up completely the first time I tried to save, but I got lucky and the save still counted. And the lack of native americans. Are there any indians in this game?

err
Apr 11, 2005

Duel posted:

Bought it yesterday and love it so far except that the game froze up completely the first time I tried to save, but I got lucky and the save still counted. And the lack of native americans. Are there any indians in this game?

Later in the game you will encounter some.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duel posted:

By this point in history, Indians had pretty much been driven to reservations, or were living alongside whites. That being said, there are some during the last island. There are also Indians in various gangs, and as various npcs scattered about.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Not until Blackwater area. They play a role in the final chapters of the story, but overall they aren't touched on much. E: beat!

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd totally dig a DLC add-on like Lost and the Damned where we play as an Indian. Living the Indian life until we're forced to leave and mingle in civilization, or die defending our land.

AmishMafia001
Oct 23, 2004
WHAT IS TITLE TEXT?!?!?!?!?!

ShowTime posted:

I will update the OP as needed. If you feel like the OP is missing something, PM me or post in the thread and I will add it. This is my first Games OP so be gentle please.

I feel there is a complete lack of flying bird people in your OP, otherwise it's spot on!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lothire posted:

Not until Blackwater area. They play a role in the final chapters of the story, but overall they aren't touched on much. E: beat!

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd totally dig a DLC add-on like Lost and the Damned where we play as an Indian. Living the Indian life until we're forced to leave and mingle in civilization, or die defending our land.

I think the most obvious expansion like the Stories From Liberty City at this point would be Red Dead Revolution, where you play as someone in the Mexican revolution. END GAME SPOILERS: or Red Dead Revenge, where it continues Jacks story and the fallout of him killing that douche who killed John.

err
Apr 11, 2005

So I beat the game, how am I supposed to get $10k for the achievement when I have only $2.5k now and still need to buy all the houses/guns for 100%?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Didn't Rockstar say that they probably wouldn't be doing expansions again? Because the time and money out into making and advertising them didn't turn into a large enough profit?

I don't know but I recall reading it somewhere.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

err posted:

So I beat the game, how am I supposed to get $10k for the achievement when I have only $2.5k now and still need to buy all the houses/guns for 100%?

It's actually 10k over time, not 10k all at once.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

err posted:

Hunt bear, elk and buffalo and sell the stuff in Mexico. I haven't done the achievement yet, but I think it shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 hours depending on how lucky you get with the spawning and what your honor rating is (according to gamefaqs it influences prices).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

err posted:

I'm not sure if it glitched out for me or if this is how you're supposed to do it but it seems that the $10k achievement is $10k altogether and not actually having it on you at one time. I got it when I sold all my gold and had around $2.5k.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Oh man, I don't care for the other cheats but I want that drunk cheat so bad. I love how Marston spends a generous amount of time just flat on his face.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Kin posted:

I swear that Trophy is glitched to gently caress. I ran through all of mexico, all of black water and all of the final missions without losing my horse or hitching it and i still didnt get it. The only thing i can think of is that fast travelling via stage coaches fucks it up because that's the only other thing i did involving horses/travelling.

Having started a new game, I managed to obtain the trophy from start up to the 21st mission. Specifics: I did everything I could up 'till Nigel Dickson, did three of his which unlocked both Seth and Irish missions. Did all of Seth, then on the final Irish mission, obtained the trophy. I had died twice along the way, used a wagon fast-travel twice and fast traveled by camp a few times.

It's strange, because on my first game, I never hitched a new horse starting from mexico on 'till the end, but I lost a few, broke a few horses but only ever summoned new ones with deeds. Either those things break the "no hitch" deal, or it's something only obtainable when you've beaten the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just arrived in Mexico, and yes, that song is pretty amazing. Until I hosed it up by shooting an animal and skinning it because I had no idea what I just shot. Go me!

EDIT: Oh, and in the last thread people seemed to have trouble knocking out other people with their fists. You just have to hit them a couple of times, and then there comes a prompt to tackle them to the ground (triangle on PS3, I guess Y on Xbox?) and then you hit them some more and they're knock-out.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 28, 2010

• Locked thread