Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Atlas Telamon posted:

Small tip for those trying to hunt a specific animal, when you find one, kill it and run far away enough to not see the corpse. Come back to the area around the corpse and there should be a freshly spawned critter for your murdering pleasure. This prevented me from quitting the game when I began to experience a glitch that made every beaver I killed BLOW UP AND DISAPPEAR. Happy hunting, cowboys.

Are you sure it was a glitch? Maybe the weapon you were using was too strong. I found that when I got the bolt-action rifle and tried to use it for hunting I would make a lot of smaller animals just explode (birds, rabbits, beavers), but using a weaker weapon stopped that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Between the hunting and the wagon riding, does this game make anyone else want to play oregon trail?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Baby Cakes posted:

Though the music is decent in this game it leaves a bit to be desired. If there's one thing memorable from old western movies is the music, especially from Ennio Morricone. The two times when music with lyrics popped up really broke the atmosphere for me. The singing was too "modern" for the game's era and even if the lyrics were fitting, the song itself didn't fit into the game.

I was hoping for more of stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKhQ8ObQ7E

Even the opening splash screen feels like a tribute to Harmonica, I felt like there were moments that could have given a few more nods to Morricone.

This game is so much better than Red Dead Revolver that it's almost insulting to even compare the two, but I will say that Red Dead Revolver had a pretty pretty rad opening theme.

Also, although cougars are super annoying throughout most of the game, they just do not want to show themselves when you need them for the hunting challenge. I've completed basically all of Mexico and I haven't seen one single cougar. I know they're less plentiful down there, but drat, I'd have expected to be attacked at least once by now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Correct. Mastering the challenges goes towards getting the Legend of the West costume for Marston which cranks your Dead Eye Meter up.

Well there's that, but each challenge also gives you special benefits at ranks 5 and 10. Going from memory, they are:

Survivalist Rank 5 - survival maps last 40 minutes, not 20. Rank 10 - picking flowers gives you a tonic which refills your deadeye (like chewing tobacco).
Hunter Rank 5 - Buffalo Rifle. Rank 10 - skinning animals gives you a something which refills your health (like medicine)
Sharpshooter Rank 5 - Deadeye lasts longer. Rank 10 - Deadeye lasts longer still
Treasure Hunter Rank 5 - Stagecoach fast travel is free. Rank 10 - you can hold twice as many consumable items (10 instead of 5).

Most of them are pretty underwhelming honestly. Some of the Rank 10s are pretty cool I guess but you get them so late in the game that they don't matter much. The Buffalo Rifle is really the only one worth writing home about in my opinion.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

northerain posted:

If I'm allowed to complain about one little thing: The treasure map is poo poo.

I spent at least an hour trying to find the rocks that I could see in the map but couldn't find anything like it. I knew I was in the right location, but nothing matched.
I guess the ''II'' thing on the map is like a zoomed in drawing of the actual location?

Stupid.

Yeah, puzzlingly, that first treasure is the hardest to find, I think. The map does appear to be showing you several different groups of rocks, and when you go to hanging rock, it does kind of look like there are that many groups of rocks, so your natural inclination is to look at the map that way. Even when you do figure out what the II means, it still isn't a very good illustration of where the treasure is. The treasure after this one is kind of tricky too, but after that they aren't so bad - the challenge only becomes figuring out which landmark it's sending you to.

RandolphCarter posted:

you have to do it when you've got the deck in your hand, anytime after that you're busted immediately.

I've also found that trying to cheat while dealing with only one other player at the table is nearly impossible, I get busted almost immediately. The best way to cheat, I think, is to cheat once while dealing at the beginning of the game, and then only cheat from the cards in your hand after that. Cheating while dealing is harder to pull off, but cheating from the cards in your hand is usually pretty safe. Plus when you cheat while dealing you never know what you're going to get, your pocket is a safer bet.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've finally discovered the majesty of pushing in this game. At first I wrote it off because I was assuming it would be a dainty push like in GTA IV, but no! John puts his back into it, it is a mighty shove that sends people flying and screaming. And unless they have a gun, nobody seems to give a poo poo. It's a pretty great timekiller while you wait for a lawman to post a bounty or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rusty posted:

I accidentally kicked a dog when I was trying to shove someone and he would not leave me alone. He followed me all over town biting the hell out of me. So be careful of town dogs.

I once accidentally kicked a cougar while trying to knife it for my hunter challenge. It was oddly satisfying even though it was most definitely not what I meant to do.

In other news, a "Bonnie McFarlane" popped up as a suggested friend on facebook. A real person, no less. That can't be coincidence, but I don't know how facebook knew.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zero Karizma posted:

There's a fairly popular stand up comic with that name. I assumed it was a reference.

It might be her, actually. The reason facebook suggested her is because of a mutual facebook friend who is also a fairly well-connected stand up comic. Mystery solved!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digital Scumbag posted:

You know, I like Rockstar games, and have played nearly all of them. I find them fun, but was never compelled to play them through to the end.
Until now.

I always play them through to the end, but this is the only one that I feel compelled to 100%. I nearly did it too, until I got bored and started a new game and accidentally saved over my save file. Now I have to do it all over again but interestingly, I'm still having fun.

Some of these hunting challenges can bite me though. Stabbing cougars and looking for skunks wasn't even fun the first time. I'm also not looking forward to clearing the poker table in Blackwater again. The first time was basically luck.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Does anyone else get annoyed that you can't pause when the game is auto-saving? When I take a wanted poster, I usually want to plot a course to my target. It's a little frustrating that I need to wait for my PS3 to finish before I can open my map.

Maybe it's worse on the PS3, but it literally takes less than 2 seconds on the 360, I didn't find it to be a very big deal.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Irn--Bru posted:

Hmmm, is it only after the first mission in blackwater that the strange man will appear? I've loaded my blackwater save but I think it was after doing a couple of missions. The current stranger mission still showing up for me is the part of lights, camera, action where i need to go play liars dice. Do I need to complete that quest first maybe?

The strange man should first appear early in the game, while you're still in New Austin.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

Yeah, I don't even know how to play any sort of card game and I just hit buttons randomly and left the table when I had more chips than I started out with. I sincerely doubt that will ever work again.

I actually do know how to play poker (I even attempted to play limit hold 'em online as a second source of income until I hit a very bad beat and decided to quit), I just found that trying to beat everyone at the table was frustrating and very luck-based, even if you are cheating. It just takes a while and isn't particularly fun, I just like to sit down and play a few hands in this game and then leave.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GhostDog posted:

What he means is that the last picture that shows the actual location looks like four, rather small and freestanding rocks, maybe man-height. And the map as a whole makes it look like these four rocks are some unspecified distance away from the rather large Hanging Rock. I had the same problem, and even after finding it I still think the last picture is not a good indication of the location at all.

I agree with every word of that. It also doesn't help that this is the very first treasure map you have to work with. In the subsequent maps, it's very clear that the IIs and IIIs and IVs are pictures of the same landmark either zoomed in or from an alternate angle, but with the Hanging Rock map, it really does look like a view of the landscape overall, it's not clear what the map is actually showing you. I don't think it's fair to say that someone is a moron for having a hard time figuring it out

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I have to say that the Read Dead wiki linked in the OP is a loving life-saver. I was going absolutely mad trying to find myself some boars to kill in the New Austin map. When I first played the game I was killed by them (in the most hilarious rag-doll manner) and never saw them since. The wiki tells you the exactly location and time when they come out.

Oh wow, I never noticed the animal location part on that wiki. I also did not know that you could block cougar attacks if you have a melee weapon equipped. Thanks, wiki!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

This doesn't make any sense, though. When I bet on something, I get punished because it wasn't exact. When I call bullshit, they win because "Oh, heh, you thought they bid EXACTLY 4? They bid AT LEAST 4. Cough one up, cocksucker." It doesn't make any loving sense.

Are you sure you're paying attention to what's going on? If, for example, you bid that there are 4 sixes, someone calls your bluff, and there are actually 5 sixes on the table, you should be ok. You don't need to be exact when you bid, you just need to bid that there at least that many dice on the table. If you think you're losing even though there were more dice on the table than your bid, I don't think you're paying attention because I'm 100% sure the game doesn't work like that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Well I'm sure that works for you and I'm happy for you but I literally just bet those same numbers and lost a die because I was bluffing.

Then either your game is glitched or you're remembering incorrectly because the game doesn't work like that, I promise you. Maybe you pressed the wrong button and accidentally called a bluff instead of making a bid? I don't know what to tell you, all I can say is that I've played Liar's Dice in this game quite a bit and that has never ever happened to me.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've definitely been playing this game too much. I was on a bus and saw a deer bounding along the side of the road and my first instinct was to try to shoot it. I don't even hunt in real life, so that thought had no business being there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FuSchnick posted:

Sometimes trying to be the "good guy" is frustrating.

"Help someone stole my horse!"
<chases down and hogties horse thief>
<puts thief on back of horse, lassos second horse, brings everyone back to Armadillo>
"Thanks mister!"
<Horse thief evaporates into thin air>

Or my personal favorite, especially because it takes so many more button presses than just shooting them:
Marshal: "You gotta help me mister, the prisoners broke loose and escaped!"

<run down and hogtie both prisoners which takes about 10 steps per prisoner>

Marshal: "Thanks mister, that sure was a big help" <takes out pistol and shoots hogtied prisoners>
<starts hobbling down the road>

Do you know if you actually get any kind of reward for bringing them back alive (honor fame or money)? I stopped trying to bring them in alive long ago, I just shoot them now, even though I am trying to be a good guy.

Horse thieves are the most annoying - once you bring the horse back you have to wait for the guy to finish thanking you and then slowly get back on his horse and ride away. If you just bring him the horse and take off, you'll fail the mission because you'll go out of range before the game has decided that the guy has actually reclaimed his horse.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

You get honor for bringing them in alive, but you don't lose any for killing them. Once I got high enough honor I just stopped caring enough to bring them in alive.

Ah. Yeah, honor builds up quickly enough that I think I can live with sacrificing a few opportunities if it means I don't have to chase down some random jerks and hogtie them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Oh and I can confirm that the melee knife defense stance does, in fact, not block attacks from a cougar.

I too learned this the hard way.

I played through the game a second time and I don't think I care about 100% completion any more, these hunting challenges are just unfun now. I seriously didn't get the stab two cougars challenge until nearly the end of the game (one of the cougars was that cougar that attacks you in a mission on top of that mountain for god's sake). Really not in the mood to go skunk or beaver hunting again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

End-ish of game spoilers: Did anyone else get a kind of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse now vibe from Dutch? He kind of reminded me of Colonel Kurtz, what with the whole going crazy and surrounding himself with a gang of natives thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I still don't see any purpose to buying a horse at the store either...

To the contrary, it's actually very useful. When you buy a horse deed, it stays in your inventory forever and ever, no matter how many times you use it. So if you're riding a 3-star horse, and it dies, you can just use the deed to get a new one, no problem. It is a little pointless for the 2 and 1 star horses, but for three star horses, it's totally invaluable, you should definitely buy at least one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Ok well this just happened to me but I was on a road and I am 100% positive there were no snakes on this wide open road. I think it's a bug.

I've had horses keel over and die for no reason too. One time it happened RIGHT in front of a hitching post, where I'm sure there couldn't have been any snakes. In another instance, I had a horse keel over and die right in the middle of a bounty hunt. I was being shot at, but the catch is that I tried the hunt a second time and the horse died in the exact same spot. I never ride my horses too hard, so I have no idea what's up with that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GODDAMN COUGARS

I was looting a body and out of nowhere, in the middle of my looting animation, I get raped by a cougar. I survive it, kill the cougar, and go to skin it, but rather than going into the skinning animation, John just stands there, endlessly blinking and looking around. Life goes on in the background and I can still get into the menus (though not my inventory) but John won't move, he just stands there, blinking and looking, forcing me to load an earlier save.

Even in death, they're still pissing me off

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't understand this viewpoint. You do realize that you almost never have to ride with characters during trips like that- if you want to, you can always jet ahead to the checkpoint as fast as humanly possible and not have to listen to "useless exposition". But I can't help but feel that that is missing the point somewhat, as the dialogue was really excellent by even the most stringent modern video game standards. At any rate, it is still bizarre for some Sony honcho to gripe about.

But for most of them, they don't tell you where the checkpoint is, your objective is just to "Accompany [character]" and all you get is the character as a blue dot on your radar.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ralconn posted:

I let them live because they didn't really do anything wrong. Plus I didn't want to lose any honor.

That's what the bandana's for! Killing people with a bandana on is like having sex through a hole in the sheet, God won't find out about it.

(I didn't kill them either, it didn't even occur to me actually)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Futanari Rastafari posted:

He is right actually, for the overwhelming majority of missions you can just ride ahead. There were maybe two missions I can think of where you are assaulted along the way which might be what is confusing you.

You would have to manually figure out where you're supposed to go and set your own waypoint though, right? Or does the game give you a checkpoint once you get a certain distance ahead of the character? All I know is that for most of the missions, all it gives you is a blue dot and an objective to accompany it - does riding ahead of the blue dot give you a yellow dot? I suppose I've never actually tried that...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

This loving explains it. Where are the goddamned ducks?

Lake Don Julio, I think.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Yeah you can even kill Strangers and stuff and come back later and they'll respawn.

In Blackwater I was doing the mission with the prohibitionist bible-thumper, however since I was drunk I got a little too enthusiastic about killing him, so I used a stick of dynamite since I figured it'd be a poetic way for a drunken Marston to deal with a pushy prohibitionist. But I accidentally killed four guys at the poker table with the blast, too.

They were back a couple days later.

My favorite is when I get caught cheating at poker, kill the player in a duel, and walk back to the poker table to find them sitting there, ready to let me play again.

I think I may have found another way to save the game anywhere - if you go into the options menu and change your aiming mode, the game autosaves. I don't know if it's saving my game or just the option settings, but maybe!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

The options menu has it's own save file. I think using horse deeds will be better way to quick save.

Horse deeds are good, but the high-end ones (the only ones worth owning for horse summoning purposes) are very expensive and for optimal quick saving you'll need to have two of them (or I guess you could just kill your horse but that feels mean), going into the options menu would have been a neat alternate method. Unless it doesn't work. Which it apparently doesn't. So that's that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Utnayan posted:

This is also one of the only games I want to play to 100% completion now. ADD or no, it just doesn't ever seem to get old.

Just make sure you don't erase your save file! Your urge to get 100% will diminish rapidly after about an hour of trying to stab cougars for the second time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I just got to Blackwater and I can't figure out if my game is glitching or not.

I see that I have a house on the map and it's marked green. When I approach it, the house marker just disappears. The door won't open. When I walk away, the green house icon reappears.

Same with the gunsmith. When I walk into his shop, it's empty and the gunsmith icon disappears.

Glitch y/n? Should I at least be able to buy a house in Blackwater?

That sounds like a glitch to me. I've never had a problem getting into the house in Blackwater (you don't have to buy it, it's just there). The shopkeepers have been consistently unreliable, but I've never had the problem you're describing - when the icon shows up, they've always been there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

404notfound posted:

So can blocking with the knife (hold RB/R1) block animal attacks or not? I've heard both answers, so I'm trying to figure out if my timing is just off or what.

I've tried it against a cougar and it most definitely did not work. If timing is important, then maybe that would explain it, I just held the button down. I haven't tried it against any other animals but I'm willing to believe that it's pointless against cougars.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Aw, that actually makes me feel bad. :(

On my first play through I didn't know about the achievement, I was just hunting them for fun. Then I noticed I got an achievement and I'm all "kick rear end, what's this for? Oh my..."

I did feel a little bad about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stoic Commie posted:

Why isn't my improvised campsite giving me ammo?

I believe it only gives you ammo if you're completely empty. And even then, it doesn't give you much. I tested it out with the basic campsite and I only got 10 repeater bullets. Maybe the improved one gives more, but I think it's just for emergency situations that should never come up so long as you actually aim at targets.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

synthy posted:

My game just glitched through the first half of a mission and I apparently missed a pretty major cutscene.

In Escalera clearing the town of the military with Reyes, this mission cuts directly to a duel with some guy I've never seen before. During the course of the mission I find out Luisa is dead. Can anyone help me piece together what I missed?

You approach the town square to find Reyes captured by three soldiers. You tell them to let him go and they start saying mean things to you (I don't remember what but I'm sure the word "gringo" came up). Suddenly, Luisa appears and charges at the soldiers with a knife, only to be gunned down by them. John shoots two of the soldiers and the third challenges you to a duel.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, I loving loved the way the end played out, but that's because I basically did that whole Stranger mission as soon as the setup for it happened, and had already completed everything else prior to the endgame, so it just came together SO well.

On a total aside, I wonder what ends up happening to Landon Ricketts? Out of all the other characters in the game, I think he was my favorite... maybe tied with the Marshall, but we didn't really get to see enough of the Marshall... then again we didn't really get to see much of Ricketts, either.

You read about it in a newspaper: Ricketts dies of old age, and the Marshal retires.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

I've noticed a couple of behaviors the NPC's seem to have, like if it's down to you and another guy and he bets a certain amount, he probably has exactly that amount so if you don't have whatever face he bets just call him with a "dead on".

I've noticed that too, and it's usually true, but I've definitely, definitely made that bet and lost (for example, where the guy had one die left and bid first, it turned out he was lying).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there some kind of trick to blocking cougar attacks, or are cougars unblockable? Because I'm drat sure I've tried blocking them and it was quite unsuccessful. Maybe I just got unlucky? Do you have to press the button right when they attack? I was just holding it the whole time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

The only one I might (might) stop for is the very rare "Help, they took my wife/husband and they're gonna hang her/him!" You can do that one entirely on horseback and you feel pretty good about it afterwards.

I hate those guys. It's not that I mind the mission (it's actually kind of fun) but they only ever seem to come find me when I'm busy doing something else, like hunting or picking flowers and I can't leave the area. I've taken to just shooting them in the face before they can finish talking. I have flowers to pick rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Since I got the game I've watched all three of the movies in the Dollars trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly) if that counts. Along with what I said in my last post.

On the off chance that people who have played this game haven't seen these movies, I think that this clip sums up why this game is a beautiful tribute to those movies. The poncho, the deadeye system, the dueling cinematography, the mule (more of a multiplayer thing I guess), it's all there. I'm surprised it took this long to make a truly great western game, but I'm absolutely satisfied with the result.

• Locked thread