Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

E: removed to prevent further derail. Also grover I disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Thanks for all the responses about my interview, those will help loads. Particularly the talking through the problems; I tend to plan in my head.

Related to that and the above discussion, what is a good reason to join up? Mine is basically I've always wanted to, but I thought that was a lovely reason until I got to talk to a load of pilots at Yeovilton, most of them said the same thing.

I suppose I'm just worried that that reason on it's own won't suffice.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Got a quick question-

A friend of my sister is enlisting Active Army. He screwed up a little bit in the past, and had to sign a moral waiver in order to enlist. (He was arrested for Criminal Mischief and Breach of Peace). The recruiter called him today, and told him that since he signed a moral waiver, he now only has a 7 day window to enlist.

I've never heard of anything like this, and it smells of recruiter bullshit. Anyone hear anything like this?

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
Sounds like someone is low on their quota.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Horseshit. I could see it delaying someone for the waiver to go through, but a window closing? Yeah, recruiter bullshit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hagetaka posted:

Horseshit. I could see it delaying someone for the waiver to go through, but a window closing? Yeah, recruiter bullshit.

i figured as much, I've told him before to go to a different recruiter, this doesn't surprise me. He's got the waiver, so I'd assume he could go to someone else no problem. Or at least threaten it.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
Question: Is getting a degree from AMU (American Military University) worth it? How legit is that school?

My situation: I don't know if I want to go back to school, but if I did I would want to be a War History/Military History teacher for high school. I would rather work on the history part first before actually getting a teaching degree.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you have to ask then the answer is no. Go to a real college or don't bother.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

kombatMedik posted:

i figured as much, I've told him before to go to a different recruiter, this doesn't surprise me. He's got the waiver, so I'd assume he could go to someone else no problem. Or at least threaten it.

What MOS is your friend enlisting for?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

miseerin posted:

Question: Is getting a degree from AMU (American Military University) worth it? How legit is that school?

My situation: I don't know if I want to go back to school, but if I did I would want to be a War History/Military History teacher for high school. I would rather work on the history part first before actually getting a teaching degree.

AMU is now regionally accredited, just like any other "real" University. Not trying to say it's automatically going to work for you, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Since it sounds like you want to go the "get a Bachelor's in something and then go for a teaching certificate/degree," I'd poke around and ask a few of the schools you could conceivably be doing the teaching thing at and see if they'll accept credits/a degree from AMU...the school that eventually hires you really isn't going to care where you got your bachelor's from, they're going to care who gave you your teaching certificate/degree. As long as that school is willing to accept credits/a degree from AMU, I'd say you're good to go.

However, I have to ask...are there many high schools out there that have a dedicated Military History teacher? That seems like more of a college level thing, as most of the HS history classes that I'm aware of tend to be more general stuff, like American History or World History or something like that.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

miseerin posted:

We had this debate in another thread (it's on the first or second page, the title deals with education I think.)

The consensus from prior military civilians (i.e. dudes who got out and are now in the real world) was that employers don't care where you got your degree from unless it's like an Ivy League class place, or an absolute unknown fly by night diploma mill.

The consensus from military people (it seemed to me -- I could have mis-interpreted) was that you shouldn't go to a place you haven't heard of (i.e. a real world school that you could visit, which might have an online component, like OU or ERAU.) This is because many military people do fall prey to no poo poo shady places that take your money and give you a worthless degree.

Overall opinion on AMU seems mixed. I have at least a few officer friends getting Masters' from it, and at least a few enlisted getting BS degrees from it. Overall I would say it's ... in my personal opinion you could do better -- BUT -- it's not a fake rear end diploma mill that is worthless. It appears to be a more or less legit place.

Anyone wishing to tell me to eat turds is welcome to comment, this is just what I observed from that long rear end thread we just had.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

How many pull-ups should I be able to do before talking to a Marine Corps OSO?

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

However, I have to ask...are there many high schools out there that have a dedicated Military History teacher? That seems like more of a college level thing, as most of the HS history classes that I'm aware of tend to be more general stuff, like American History or World History or something like that.

Thank you and Slippery.

I know the school I graduated from's Anthropology teacher got it to be a class by writing a mock-lesson plan/curriculum for a year, and they let it be a credited class. So it's possible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slippery posted:

Overall opinion on AMU seems mixed. I have at least a few officer friends getting Masters' from it, and at least a few enlisted getting BS degrees from it. Overall I would say it's ... in my personal opinion you could do better -- BUT -- it's not a fake rear end diploma mill that is worthless. It appears to be a more or less legit place.

And this makes me wonder why more people don't consider UMD's distance learning program. It's popular among military and civilian students and gives you the exact same degree as if you were to sit in class at College Park.

e: From reading this forum and talking with professors, a good rule of thumb is to avoid any college that has a campus on a military base. They are, more or less, diploma mills. If you are interested in becoming a highschool teacher, you will eventually have to pursue a master's degree. Very few worthwhile master's programs will accept a certificate from a diploma mill.

psydude fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 5, 2010

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

miseerin posted:

Thank you and Slippery.

I know the school I graduated from's Anthropology teacher got it to be a class by writing a mock-lesson plan/curriculum for a year, and they let it be a credited class. So it's possible.

That's awesome...wish they had that at my high school.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

psydude posted:

And this makes me wonder why more people don't consider UMD's distance learning program. It's popular among military and civilian students and gives you the exact same degree as if you were to sit in class at College Park.

e: From reading this forum and talking with professors, a good rule of thumb is to avoid any college that has a campus on a military base. They are, more or less, diploma mills. If you are interested in becoming a highschool teacher, you will eventually have to pursue a master's degree. Very few worthwhile master's programs will accept a certificate from a diploma mill.

What do you mean by 'has a campus?' If you mean 'has an office at the education center and offers classes at a base' this is not correct. At most AF bases for example there will be Troy State, ERAU and maybe Regis (and others) that have offices there, offer classes/degrees there with their professors teaching in Education Center classrooms, etc. Those places are not Ivy League by any stretch but they are not diploma mills, they are real schools. (ERAU has an actual campus, it's actually a sort of known place!)

(As for UMD, I haven't seen them everywhere, some AF bases do have distance learning through UMD (where actual professors come and teach in a classroom) but not all do. Of course if you mean 'over the internet' you're right, UMD is a good school.)

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

psydude posted:

A diploma mill gives out a fake degree from a real college and a degree mill gives out a real degree from a fake (read: non-accredited) college. Neither applies to (most?) satellite campuses on military bases. Just because it carries a negative stigma based on the military's inherent appeal to authority does not mean it is not a viable option for members. Also, UMUC falls under the same category you just derided.

Here's what it comes down to: Are you staying in gov't and not ambitious enough to go beyond O-5 or GS-15? If so, a degree is a degree is a degree no matter where you got it from for non-science related jobs, at both the bachelor's and master's level. Your work experience is what will matter. Learn the scams too, there are GS-14s out there with no degree, and GS-15s with an associate's. That's, in grover terms, being an O-5 and O-6 with no and some post-high school education. Think about that.

Are you getting out of gov't? If you got an accredited BA, once again, nobody gives a gently caress if you have a resume that backs up your experience. Master's would still matter, but the impetus is shifting away from that slowly but surely, at least in gov't related private sector jobs.

If you're that concerned with what school you have put down on your undergrad, which is the equivalent of a HS diploma nowadays, then your resume sucks in the first place and have far more underlying problems to worry about. Learn how to write a resume, for starters.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

revenance posted:

Are you getting out of gov't? If you got an accredited BA, once again, nobody gives a gently caress if you have a resume that backs up your experience. Master's would still matter, but the impetus is shifting away from that slowly but surely, at least in gov't related private sector jobs.

This is, honestly, where your undergraduate school does make a difference. Certain programs at certain schools are going to have much better industry connections than other programs. In many cases, this can mean the difference between getting an internship and not getting an internship, which, of course, affects your resume. And that is what is going to make the difference between your undergraduate degree simply being another highschool diploma or your undergraduate education actually setting you up for success.

e: In these discussions, I always wonder why more people don't chime in with "Go to your local community college."

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 5, 2010

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

psydude posted:

This is, honestly, where your undergraduate school does make a difference. Certain programs at certain schools are going to have much better industry connections than other programs. In many cases, this can mean the difference between getting an internship and not getting an internship, which, of course, affects your resume. And that is what is going to make the difference between your undergraduate degree simply being another highschool diploma or your undergraduate education actually setting you up for success.

e: In these discussions, I always wonder why more people don't chime in with "Go to your local community college."

Once again, if after being in the military your strongest resume bullet or network connection is which school you went to for undergrad, you done hosed up. If you didn't set yourself up for success in the 4+ years of service then going to a bigger name school so people can ooh and aah for the few seconds they glance over your resume isn't going to do much good, and if you haven't made any network connections in the 4+ years of service then you weren't that good at your job.

Maybe people don't mention CC because it's an AA, which is a complete non-starter? A bachelor's from any accredited place will check the bachelor's box...and an associate's...won't. Not a hard concept, so that's why most people don't wonder why, I suppose. v:shobon:v

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

revenance posted:

Maybe people don't mention CC because it's an AA, which is a complete non-starter? A bachelor's from any accredited place will check the bachelor's box...and an associate's...won't. Not a hard concept, so that's why most people don't wonder why, I suppose. v:shobon:v

They offer night classes closeby at a very affordable rate. After completing the coursework there, you can transfer those credits to any accredited university (shocker: even if you received an AA!). Considering most people in the military are not going to college full time, and therefore won't complete their for year degree during their term of enlistment, I don't see why it's not a viable option if your enlistment is up.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

psydude posted:

They offer night classes closeby at a very affordable rate. After completing the coursework there, you can transfer those credits to any accredited university.

No, you can sometimes transfer some of those credits to some accredited universities. And generally only those that you just railed against. And why go to CC when you can CLEP?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

revenance posted:

No, you can sometimes transfer some of those credits to some accredited universities. And generally only those that you just railed against. And why go to CC when you can CLEP?
No, CLEP is more widely accepted at those institutions I just railed against. I can almost guarantee that any community college coursework will transfer to a public university in that same state.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

psydude posted:

No, CLEP is more widely accepted at those institutions I just railed against. I can almost guarantee that any community college coursework will transfer to a public university in that same state.

Yes, CLEP is the equivalent of CC in most places. You can guarantee it all you want, it doesn't make it true. It also doesn't make CLEP worth any less than CC credit either. You still haven't made a cogent argument against the institutions you railed against, regardless.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

revenance posted:

You still haven't made a cogent argument against the institutions you railed against, regardless.

This is really a discussion for a different thread.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
[Tell] me about PMDRA.

In the past three years I've been deployed a total of 21 months. How many admin days do I get?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

https://minuteman.ngb.army.mil/PDMRA/

That is the calculator.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

psydude posted:

Yup, I go through UMD online. It's been great for me. I picked it because I could transfer my Montgomery College (lol) credits there easily, but it's turned out to be the best possible online school I could think of.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This is the quick questions thread. If it involves this amount of discussion, spin it off into another thread.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010

kombatMedik posted:

Got a quick question-

A friend of my sister is enlisting Active Army. He screwed up a little bit in the past, and had to sign a moral waiver in order to enlist. (He was arrested for Criminal Mischief and Breach of Peace). The recruiter called him today, and told him that since he signed a moral waiver, he now only has a 7 day window to enlist.

I've never heard of anything like this, and it smells of recruiter bullshit. Anyone hear anything like this?

I'm not in the military, but my Army recruiter told me that he can reserve any thing (MOS, bonuses, etc) for me for as long as I go down to Meps to swear in within 7 days.

So that recruiter is bsing and totally skewing what the 7 day thing actually is.

Or, my recruiter is bsing me. :P

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

25 lighters posted:

I'm not in the military, but my Army recruiter told me that he can reserve any thing (MOS, bonuses, etc) for me for as long as I go down to Meps to swear in within 7 days.

So that recruiter is bsing and totally skewing what the 7 day thing actually is.

Or, my recruiter is bsing me. :P

I haven't been in long, but I have an awesome recruiter who gives me no bullshit. I'm pretty sure what he's telling you is bologna. I had a 91B waiting for me whenever I was ready to enlist. In my case, I was ready to enlist the week before he told me this, but I still didn't have a "window". I think that's him trying to wrangle up his recruits as quickly as possible.

Also, I don't know what "(MOS, bonuses, etc)" means, did he say you could pick your own bonus? Yeah.... not exactly true. 91B is a no sign-on bonus MOS, no matter what, when you first join, I'm almost certain.

Again, don't grill me if I'm wrong, because I've been enlisted since only April. I'm just telling you what my experience has been.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Army or USMC for officer if looking to get infantry first choice, MI second choice? Already done lots of my own research plus currently leaning USMC as my Aunt, Uncle and their son, A & U are officers son is enlisted, are all in the corps but I am curious as to other anecdotal or fact backed opinions.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010

miseerin posted:

I haven't been in long, but I have an awesome recruiter who gives me no bullshit. I'm pretty sure what he's telling you is bologna. I had a 91B waiting for me whenever I was ready to enlist. In my case, I was ready to enlist the week before he told me this, but I still didn't have a "window". I think that's him trying to wrangle up his recruits as quickly as possible.

Also, I don't know what "(MOS, bonuses, etc)" means, did he say you could pick your own bonus? Yeah.... not exactly true. 91B is a no sign-on bonus MOS, no matter what, when you first join, I'm almost certain.

Again, don't grill me if I'm wrong, because I've been enlisted since only April. I'm just telling you what my experience has been.

Yeah you're probably right. He just said, when he gets a open 68W slot he'll call me and reserve and I have 7 days to enlist. I believed him because it took him about a month to get the open slot till he called me. He never said I could pick my own bonus, I am just saying what ever else he can get on your contract, must be taken down to MEPS within the 7 days of reserving.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Minto Took posted:

buy a pull up bar that hangs on a door frame. Do them everytime you walk by it.
I don't know about officer, but if I had gone to boot doing atleast 15 my life would have been a lot easier.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Minto Took posted:

You should be able to do 20 for your PST. That was the general consensus I got from my OSO and my SSgt. Both said sit-ups and pull-ups should be maxed and considered free points.

JH Pufnstuf
Apr 27, 2005

You do not talk to me like that! I am a Division Manager!
If I can only run a 19:00 2-mile right now should I wait to enlist when I am capable of running a sub-9:00 mile? How strict are they about the 8:54 requirement at MEPS?

e:

kombatMedik posted:

what branch? I'd assume Army from the 2 miles...

They don't do it at MEPS, as far as I know. You go to MEPS, do your poo poo, then go to basic. For the first 10-14 days you spend it getting your gear, filling out your paperwork, hating your life, and doing the initial entry APFT.

They were very strict about the run time when I went through, they forced a guy to go to fat camp because he missed the cutoff time by 3 seconds. He passed it the next time he took it though, so no biggie.

Just keep running, you'll get there.

Awesome. Thanks.

JH Pufnstuf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

JH Pufnstuf posted:

If I can only run a 19:00 2-mile right now should I wait to enlist when I am capable of running a sub-9:00 mile? How strict are they about the 8:54 requirement at MEPS?

what branch? I'd assume Army from the 2 miles...

They don't do it at MEPS, as far as I know. You go to MEPS, do your poo poo, then go to basic. For the first 10-14 days you spend it getting your gear, filling out your paperwork, hating your life, and doing the initial entry APFT.

They were very strict about the run time when I went through, they forced a guy to go to fat camp because he missed the cutoff time by 3 seconds. He passed it the next time he took it though, so no biggie.

Just keep running, you'll get there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MEPS is just a physical. When you get to BCT, you'll actually be in-processing in a separate area (called Reception) first. There, you have to pass a mini-PT test, I think it's roughly eight-eight and a half minute mile. If you pass, you go on to Day 0 of Basic Training. If you fail, it's fat boy program before you can even start Basic.

Your first week in Basic you'll have a full PT test; you'll go through three more before the one that really, really matters- the EOC (End of Cycle) PT test. You must pass that to go onto AIT (job school).

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Hagetaka posted:

the EOC (End of Cycle) PT test. You must pass that to go onto AIT (job school).

Apparently not anymore. :effort: :btroll:

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010
Can anyone give me a blow by blow on reception. Do they draw blood, blood pressure, hearing, visual, etc...

BTW going to Ft. Knox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How far in advance do you generally find out about deployments?

• Locked thread