Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Too Poetic posted:

Wait, are scars actually an issue? I have a scar on my forearm from when I was like 4 and there is no way in hell I'd be able to get medical records for that. It's not exactly something I could lie about either since it's a big scar and you can see where the stitches went as well.

Plan on enlisting Army if it matters.

Just tell them you have no medical data on it and no way of getting it. They will then have you fill out a form explaining what happened. Viola you are done. They will tell you they need you to get your records but if you stick to your guns no problem. You won't have any problem. Or just don't say shot about it, at MEPS they will document it, and it is no problem. Scars aren't a big deal.

For the flight guy...in the Army, if you are a strong candidate, an ETP(exception to policy) cam be given in order to get the program. Our cut off is 74 inches. I have heard of people as tall as 77 inches getting the ETP. It's basically a waiver. What we have to do is meet with the person who approves our medicals(the main dude) and sit in the aircraft showing him that height will not be an issue. Once you do it once and it gets approved, you're good to go. Not sure if that helped..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I've had hemroids for a few years. Embarrasing question. Have not went to the doctor, should I document it?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

No.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Boo This Man posted:

I've had hemroids for a few years. Embarrasing question. Have not went to the doctor, should I document it?
No, it's just hemorrhoids, it's not exactly debilitating. Stop washing your rear end in a top hat with soap and see if they go away.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Is there any quick way to find out what ribbons and awards you have via NKO or an easily accessible source?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Null Integer posted:

Is there any quick way to find out what ribbons and awards you have via NKO or an easily accessible source?

Dunno about NKO, but I know the Air Force has exactly that feature on our vMPF (thing available on our version of NKO.) Of course, it's generally not that accurate, but I guess it's better than nothing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Null Integer posted:

There is an awards tab on BUPERS? I think, however, I haven't had much success with it being accurate.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

There is an awards tab on BUPERS? I think, however, I haven't had much success with it being accurate.

Found it, its the [ODC, OSR, PSR, ESR] option in BUPERS. Problem is it doesn't list service or good conduct awards, so my friend finding out about his GWOT is hosed until he gets a hold of his physical record.

Thanks for the help.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Another option he can try is, in our case anyways, our Personnel Department kept a list of all of the unit awards and dates on board for requirement on their front counter.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

My Name Is Jonas posted:

Anyone seen the subtitled Hitler clip about Maintainers? It has Hitler going on about how much Barksdale sucks, etc etc? I can't find a link anywhere for it.

This'n?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nginHVeaMSc

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This one's also pretty good: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1440317170980&ref=mf (requires FB, but worth watching).

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Null Integer posted:

honestly online poo poo is terrible for the navy, best bet is asking your command/checking service record......i had to go to my old ship to get proof i had certain things for my dd214 though. i think you can get away with your ND and GWTSM without anyone fussing though!!!

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I want to go through the appropriate channels to set up a short interview (face-to-face or via email) with an Afghan National Army officer.

None of what we would be discussing is sensitive, I want to get his perspective on a paper I have to write about Afghan culture for my BOLC class.

Who should I contact?

My Name Is Jonas
Apr 11, 2007

Busket_in_Posket posted:

This'n?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nginHVeaMSc

Yeah, found it a couple days ago. Thanks anyway.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Null Integer posted:

It's not really easily accessible at home unless you have a CAC reader, but all your service record information is available online through NSIPS.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
So my fiance just broke his femur and is in surgery right now getting a rod placed inside the bone. The dr said when he was in the army like 10 years ago the policy was that they would not accept people with a rod in his leg and that he would either have to get a waiver or get it removed in 1-2 years. Is what he said still the case in the military?

Delicious Yams
Feb 10, 2010

by T. Finn
The 40-501 form (https://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r40_501.pdf) should be able to answer that. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thanks. If I cannot find anything in that we will call his recruiter tomorrow.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Awesome Kristin posted:

Thanks. If I cannot find anything in that we will call his recruiter tomorrow.

Keep in mind he probably doesn't know or will make some poo poo up off the top of his head. You might have to dive fairly deep into MEDCOM to find an answer.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
A

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 12, 2013

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

aunaturale posted:

How much free time do soldiers on base get? How much does this answer vary by regiment, base, and CO?

There was a poster stationed in Germany complaining how despite official hours his unit was running drills late into the night and started doing whatever it is that US forces in Germany do before the crack of dawn. People generally told him to suck it up and that he doesn't have it that bad.

Then you find all the nice people who manage to answer questions in these threads, talk poo poo in D&D, and even chill in BYOB. So I'm wondering how widespread full-day workdays are.

Depends on a lot of things.

Your MOS, rank, unit and command, mission, deployment status, duty station, etc.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

aunaturale posted:

How much free time do soldiers on base get? How much does this answer vary by regiment, base, and CO?

There was a poster stationed in Germany complaining how despite official hours his unit was running drills on weekends and getting up before schedule to start doing whatever it is US forces in Germany do and doing it until nightfall. People generally told him to suck it up and that he doesn't have it that bad.

Then you find all the nice people who manage to answer questions in these threads, talk poo poo in D&D, and even chill in BYOB. So I'm wondering how widespread full-day workdays are.

It's going to vary wildly by service, job (MOS/AFSC), and rank (edit: and everything else mentioned above). For example, I'm in the Air Force, in maintenance, and an officer. I nominally work 7-4 5 days a week, but I'm usually in from about 6:30/6:45 till 5/5:30ish, depending on what's going on. I've got guys that are gonna get called in on standby this weekend, so I'll probably pop by and see them. Contrast this with a junior airman in something customer service related (MPF, Finance) who probably works 8-4 5 days a week, period, or a TSgt in maintenance who's working 12s because of an exercise or inspection or stupidity on the part of someone else.

Then you've got the other services, which (as I said above) are going to vary considerably based on a whole host of factors.

Edit: Also, when someone's posting in the "middle of the day," worth remembering that depending on their MOS/AFSC, they could be a shift worker...I was working swings all last week, for example, so between the time difference (I'm in Alaska) and the shift change, I was posting stuff at noon Eastern time, but I was still working an 11 hour day.
So yeah, it's going to vary a lot. It's not like there's some set amount of hours everyone in the military is supposed to work.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
A

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 12, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

aunaturale posted:

I guess I should have been much clearer in my wording.

I'm obviously not supposing that somehow there is a norm for free time that hold for all jobs, branches, units, etc. I'm more curious that, given that you are given an official work schedule for your MOS and deployment, how much trust can you put in it?

...depends on your MOS/service, again. Seriously...for example, if you work personnel or something, you're far less likely to have something break and get to work a 14 hour shift when you were promised an 8, as opposed to maintenance where this happens more often.

Since you mentioned deployment, are you talking about day to day schedule (like the example above) or week to week/month to month whether you are deployed or not schedule?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Non-mil goon here who just loves learning about hardware. I know about HUDs and poo poo in aircraft, but what do they call it when the display is inside the helmet, what is that device called. Is it part of the visor, or some fold down screen thing.

Does that even exist or am I going mad?

Are they better than HUDs? I know with some craft you can look off in a different direction to that of travel and aim weapons and the like, yeah?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

aunaturale posted:

I guess I should have been much clearer in my wording.

I'm obviously not supposing that somehow there is a norm for free time that hold for all jobs, branches, units, etc. I'm more curious that, given that you are given an official work schedule for your MOS and deployment, how much trust can you put in it?

Navy Side of the House: Hahahahaha, no. Our general working hours are set like a bank when we are in port, but they apply when there is basically nothing going on.

There is hardly ever not something going on for some sectors. And if theres not anything going on, then your painting. If thats done theres touch ups, etc. There is always something that someone else wants done. What's this boil down to? Are working hours are hardly static. I leave the house at 6AM, I get home about 4:30PM. I might work until 3:30, I might work until 5 or later. Sometimes I come in on Saturdays. The only time I schedule anything are on leave days practically, because I have no faith that I can keep an appointment after hours.

Deployment/Underway time is the same way. The bill of goods you are sold typically gets thrown out the window pretty quickly.

And then there is shipyard time, which, suffice it to say, was such a miserable experience regarding mismanagement and work hour modification that my mind has taken steps to block it from my consciousness.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

thehustler posted:

Non-mil goon here who just loves learning about hardware. I know about HUDs and poo poo in aircraft, but what do they call it when the display is inside the helmet, what is that device called. Is it part of the visor, or some fold down screen thing.

Are they better than HUDs? I know with some craft you can look off in a different direction to that of travel and aim weapons and the like, yeah?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet_mounted_display is what you're looking for.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

SquirrelyPSU posted:

And then there is shipyard time, which, suffice it to say, was such a miserable experience regarding mismanagement and work hour modification that my mind has taken steps to block it from my consciousness.

Every time I try to remember the few months of drydock I black out. :shobon:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Can you fly in the army as an officer or do you have to go in as a WO? And if the latter can you move up to Officer at some point?

Thanks for the quick response!

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 29, 2010

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Yes you can be a pilot as an army officer but you fly less. You can go to Officer as a Warrant Officer but isn't typical. You also might not be a pilot anymore.

Transgendered Squirrel
Aug 14, 2004

by Peatpot

thehustler posted:

I used a HUD when my battalion beta tested Land Warrior in 2007-08. It was decent, but it seemed like 1980s technology for the display. I guess that was meant to make it durable, but it took up some helmet realestate. It performed well, as did most of the land warrior system.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Legal/Separation question:
The other day I was driving to work. I feel asleep momentarily at the wheel, woke up off the road and attempted to correct but due to the grade and condition of the ground I wasn't able to and ended up hitting some small trees and then tipping my jeep over. Now, because I am in Virginia and they're tough on traffic violations this is a reckless driving ticket(misdemeanor). I received this ticket on base but it's a violation of state code so somehow someway it's going to be tried by a Federal Court.

I'm an activated reservist and I was in the process of demobilizing. As in, friday I was going to start terminal leave. However, now I'm in a legal hold status.

Is this grounds for a hold status? I wasn't drunk and nor had I been drinking. I offered to blow but they declined. I did not sustain any injuries nor was anyone else injured. No property other than my own was damaged. As far as I can tell, I'm not in violation of any article of the UCMJ or Federal Law and it's not a felony offense in the state of Virginia.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Why do they play music at random hours of the day? Is there any historical significance or is it just a dude dropped in his magazine on the sound board? I'm mostly curious why I'm hearing poo poo at 23:30 every night.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iceslice posted:

Why do they play music at random hours of the day? Is there any historical significance or is it just a dude dropped in his magazine on the sound board? I'm mostly curious why I'm hearing poo poo at 23:30 every night.

You're probably hearing Taps, signifying the end of the day/lights out (at some point in history). In the morning there's Reveille usually followed by To The Colors, in the afternoon there's Retreat usually followed by the national anthem. Timings are a little different based on location and service. At my base they're at 7:30 AM, 4:30 PM, and sometime around 10 or 11 PM (I live off base, so I don't know exactly). On the other hand, the Navy detachment here does their own Reveille at 8...they're weird.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

iceslice posted:

If it's before Taps, it's probably Tattoo.

Tattoo originated during the Thirty Years War, 1618-1648, and in German was called "Zapfenstreich." At 9:00 P.M., as the call was sounded, all bungs (zapfen) had to be replaced in their barrels, signifying the end of nightly drinking. The provost guard then drew a chalk line (streich) across the bung so that it could not be reopened without evidence of tampering. Tattoo is the longest U.S. Army call, consisting of twenty- eight measures. The first eight are from the French call "Extinction de Feux" and the last twenty measures are from the British "First Post" - in turn adapted from an old Neapolitan Cavalry call "Il Silencio".

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/22tattoo.mp3

GreenMeat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 30, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Does any service other than the Marines have music to signify when the chowhall is open?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Veins McGee posted:

Does any service other than the Marines have music to signify when the chowhall is open?

The Army plays Mess...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/20mess.mp3

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Veins McGee posted:

Yep! The call to chow. I don't know what the exact name is, but I hear it every day at 0630 and 1130.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

GreenMeat posted:

The Army plays Mess...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/20mess.mp3

"Piggies, Piggies, Piggies, come and get your chow!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Veins McGee posted:

On board ships, the Navy uses Boatswain pipes to signal certain events such as watch turnover, reveille, flight quarters and, wait for it..... Chow.

• Locked thread