Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

grover posted:

I think you're confusing Regicide (Army E-1) with m0tbaille/Amanda Hugnkiss (Navy O-1). It's OK, happens all the time!

Oh God I did confuse the two, I apologize, sorry everyone :(

quote:

Navy's solution is a web-based system you're supposed to use if a hurricane or something hits so that your boss knows you're not dead (yet).

USAF has that too, it's not terrible (I mean it's relatively easy to use and works pretty well most of the time)

Slippery fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Restriction to post is usually something given under non-judicial punishment (Article 15). Doing it as punishment for being out of regs under AR 600-9 sounds like a colossal dick move, and could have been illegal. Yeah, JAG should definitely be consulted.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

This is Korea though. Isn't that different?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'm pretty sure the command can restrict you to post for anything they please.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

This is Korea though. Isn't that different?

I missed that. Yeah, OCONUS is definitely a different playbook.

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

Slippery posted:

Dude that's from a Jessica Simpson movie and in closing you are dumb

sorry i haven't F5'd my imdb.com listing of has been early 2000s celebrities recently to see what was she was up to

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
About when do you find out your OBC date if you're commissioning on time?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
"You're not on restriction, but I order you not to leave post without permission."

It's not really that hard.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

psydude posted:

About when do you find out your OBC date if you're commissioning on time?

After you get your duty station, so March/April.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Oh wait you aren't going active. You need to talk to the unit you are going to and get them to get you a class date.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh wait you aren't going active. You need to talk to the unit you are going to and get them to get you a class date.

Really? Does this mean I have some kind of a say in when it will be?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, moreso than active. You kinda have a choice in active though too and can request OBC dates.

But you have to get in touch with your gaining unit S1 or S3 shop or XO and talk to them about when they want to send you. There is pretty much no rush since you aren't going active because you will still drill and poo poo just like you would if you were a graduate. Just depends on if you want to get out of AT that summer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OK, thanks. I'm trying to get an early date because I'd like to start grad school in the spring of 2012, but of course that all depends upon when they send me.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

psydude posted:

OK, thanks. I'm trying to get an early date because I'd like to start grad school in the spring of 2012, because I think this whole war on terror is going to be over by then.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No, I expect to be deployed sooner or later, especially with the upcoming troop surge and the need for route clearance. Since I'll know about it ahead of time, though, I'll just do as much as I can and then finish when I come back. Don't be hatin'.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 19, 2010

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

Cage Kicker posted:

"You're not on restriction, but I order you not to leave post without permission."

It's not really that hard.

Well I got confirmation from the person who complained about it last year... they can't restrict you to post and my buddy went to JAG and they called the CSM of the Battalion so yeah. I don't think "can't take away from, but you can add to!" applies here.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Regicide posted:

Well I got confirmation from the person who complained about it last year... they can't restrict you to post and my buddy went to JAG and they called the CSM of the Battalion so yeah. I don't think "can't take away from, but you can add to!" applies here.

AR 600-8-10 says the commander can restrict a soldier to post. Your local JAG has an interesting take on the regulations.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

GreenMeat posted:

AR 600-8-10 says the commander can restrict a soldier to post. Your local JAG has an interesting take on the regulations.

Quote please.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Army/ex-military:

How can I check to see if my security clearance is still active or if it's been stopped for lack of use or whatever?

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10977.htm#19 The Department of State has a customer service # to determine it, but will that apply to me?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Regicide posted:

Quote please.

GreenMeat posted:

No, NCOs don't have that authority, at least in the Army:

AR 600-8-10 posted:

5–27. Rules to grant regular pass
a. A short, nonchargeable, authorized absence from post or place of duty during normal off duty hours is a regular pass. Non-duty periods of absence, other than the established or normal duty hours are considered as a pass period, to include official holidays (see table 5–1). For example, a regular pass might extend from Friday after duty until the beginning of duty on the following Tuesday.
b. The unit commander is the approval authority.
c. A soldier remains in an available-for-duty-status during normal off duty hours unless absence is authorized.

From the bottom of the previous page. Jesus, you should be stuck in your room until you learn to read a drat regulation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the commander couldn't put it on memorandum that an NCO could act as his/her authority for doling out a restriction also. Although honestly, for a 600-9 failure being stuck on post in your room shoveling doritos and playing video games probably ain't helping.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Suspension of pass privileges is a good way for a commander to motivate a soldier without resulting to NJP, but in my experience it's not used often. A bar to reenlistment is also good. It doesn't have to involve NJP, and if the soldier reforms and the CO lifts the bar, there's no permanent record in the soldier's file. if the soldier persists in shitbaggery, then the bar stays, the soldier ETSs, and there's a code in his DD214 that disallows later enlistment.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
Anyone get their free glasses through NOSTRA? I'm in a remote location (meaning NOSTRA will fill my order and mail the glasses to me). I'm wondering how long it will take for it to be processed.

Also, any luck getting accessory coatings like anti-reflective? I'm requesting it on the basis that "I get headaches if I am in front of a computer too long without AR coating, and I primarily write reports"... but we'll see if I get it or not.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

From the bottom of the previous page. Jesus, you should be stuck in your room until you learn to read a drat regulation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the commander couldn't put it on memorandum that an NCO could act as his/her authority for doling out a restriction also. Although honestly, for a 600-9 failure being stuck on post in your room shoveling doritos and playing video games probably ain't helping.

We have already been over that. Going out to lunch off post, or what have you could hardly be considered a pass? Come on.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Inversely, if the commander didn't tell you that you can leave post, then it stands to reason that the "approval authority" didn't "approve" you leaving post.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Regicide posted:

We have already been over that. Going out to lunch off post, or what have you could hardly be considered a pass? Come on.

-Edit, I think I got this wrong.

After re-reviewing the regulation, it looks like a regular pass is any time you're not on duty. So weekends and evenings you're on a regular pass period.

One question I would have is para 5-27 d.

d. A regular pass begins and ends on post, at duty location, or at the location from where soldier normally
commutes to duty
. Soldier must be physically at one of these locations when departing to or returning from a regular
pass.

Is this stating that passes may begin and end at the Soldier's residence?

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 20, 2010

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

grover posted:

First off, banks suck rear end. Even bad credit unions are better than good banks.

Navy Federal Credit Union is OK-to-good depending on what you need. They're not necessarily the BEST rates out there, but they're pretty good and certainly beat any bank hands-down. I financed my mortgage through them, as well as the equity loans that financed my addition. I found their car rates to be rather high, though; they advertised good rates, but won't actually GIVE you those low rates. I couldn't even figure out why, as no amount of lying about my credit rating or other things about the car on their online form would return the low rates they advertised on their front page. I ended up financing my through my other (non-federal) credit union instead which had a slightly higher advertised rate but actually GAVE me that rate without any hassle when I submitted the loan paperwork.

Their debit card is a bit finicky; not all places will accept it. You have to carry separate Navy FCU debit and check cards.

I've had good experiences with 'em. Most everyone else here (that isn't new), generally swears by either Kitsap Federal CU, or USAA, however.

The interest on my Suby was pretty high, but it wasn't any higher than I was expecting (rebuilding from lovely credit).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I've had good experiences with 'em. Most everyone else here (that isn't new), generally swears by either Kitsap Federal CU, or USAA, however.

USAA is fantastic, however the lack of brick and mortar locations can be problematic. I have a second credit union that I use for depositing checks and cash.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

psydude posted:

USAA is fantastic, however the lack of brick and mortar locations can be problematic. I have a second credit union that I use for depositing checks and cash.

I agree that cash can be problematic, but if you trust in the internet enough to do it, the USAA website's check deposit process is amazingly quick and easy. Also, you don't have to wait for the check to clear either. As soon as its scanned in the money posts.

If you don't have a scanner, but have an android phone, the USAA app lets you take pictures of the check and deposit it that way. I've never used that functionality, but I've been told it works great as well.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
They also have an app that works on the iPhone. It is fantastic, I can deposit checks, transfer money, and it has a few nifty features like an ATM locator and savings calculator.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

USAA does actually have some physical locations some places.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

USAA does actually have some physical locations some places.

Odds of me being in Texas of my own accord and not under law enforcement custody:

0%

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Odds of me being in Texas of my own accord and not under law enforcement custody:

0%

Austin is quite nice.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

lnav vnav usatoday posted:

Austin is quite nice.

I've been there and stand by my previous statement.

Dr Pibb
Apr 29, 2006
I'm totally gonna use this MD to write illicit prescriptions of Coke.

ManMythLegend posted:

I agree that cash can be problematic, but if you trust in the internet enough to do it, the USAA website's check deposit process is amazingly quick and easy. Also, you don't have to wait for the check to clear either. As soon as its scanned in the money posts.

If you don't have a scanner, but have an android phone, the USAA app lets you take pictures of the check and deposit it that way. I've never used that functionality, but I've been told it works great as well.

The asterisk following that statement should be only if you have a homeowners insurance policy, car insurance policy or a credit card through them as well. I only have a checking and savings account through them, so I can't use Deposit@Home or Deposit@Mobile.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Dr Pibb posted:

The asterisk following that statement should be only if you have a homeowners insurance policy, car insurance policy or a credit card through them as well. I only have a checking and savings account through them, so I can't use Deposit@Home or Deposit@Mobile.

I did not know this. That's interesting, I wonder why they would do that.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
If you are given 24 hour quarters, how long do you have quarters for? 24 hours, or until first formation the next day?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Regicide posted:

If you are given 24 hour quarters, how long do you have quarters for? 24 hours, or until first formation the next day?

The way we do it is you get the rest of the day off from whatever day you were on quarters for and then the following day (that's the 24 hours). You show up for work normally the day after that. Of course, that's assuming that your original appointment is later in the day (it always is here, we don't have sick call, so the earliest you can get in to see a doc is usually late morning/early afternoon.) If you've got sick call first thing in the morning, I'd imagine that the 24 hours would be the day you went in and you'd be expected to show first thing the following day.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you've been given 24 hours of quarters those 24 hours are yours. Unless the medic/PA writes it differently you are in the clear. Just notify your chain of command what time your quarters are up and you should be good.

edit: If you're flagged for being a fatass I'd refrain from answering these questions and lose some weight.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
I'm not asking for myself. A buddy of mine got quarters at 11am yesterday and they called him as "out of ranks" for report since he assumed 24hr quarters meant until 11am today. Apparently our chain of command disagreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Hey, for clearance checks, they talk to your family as well as the people, right? Apparently I passed my nuke clearance, but I was curious about that.

• Locked thread