Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Name Is Jonas
Apr 11, 2007
Stealing this idea from GWS (and maybe some others, but I only frequent a couple). If you have a question that needs and answer but doesn't deserve a thread, post it here to save some room. Be sure to mention which branch was we all know things are absolutely the same in this Joint Operations Environment we all live in today.

I'll start it off, since I tried figuring it out for myself.

(Air Force)

How do you calculate what your leave would sell for instead of taking terminal? I'm contemplating selling my leave since I'm not near what I want in my savings account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Do you have BAS/BAH. If so it doesn't go into your calculation of selling leave. That's why terminal leave is almost always better. Also, any benefit (like medical if you need it) you still have while you're on terminal leave.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
From what I have seen on the internet I qualify for everything for Green to Gold minus the time in, I will be right around 19 months in (24 required) but it is waiverable. Who should I talk to in my unit to try and get the ball rolling with this?

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gsxr posted:

From what I have seen on the internet I qualify for everything for Green to Gold minus the time in, I will be right around 19 months in (24 required) but it is waiverable. Who should I talk to in my unit to try and get the ball rolling with this?

What was your ACT/SAT score? Was your HS GPA a 2.5? What school do you want to go to, and do you realize you need to be accepted there first? Can you get a favorable recommendation from your company commander and the first field-grade officer in your chain of command? Have you passed a PT test in the past six months?

Depending on your answers you should start to put the packet together while simultaneously notifying your first line supervisor of your intent. If he gives you poo poo continue to work up your chain in order to get the packet put in.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Like I said, all of my scores are good to go, looks like I will need to take a PT test again once we re-deploy, no worries on that though. I will start to notify my chain of command of my intent as well as start to browse schools and such thanks for your help.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 29, 2010

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Why'd you start this thread now no one will be able to start threads in GiP.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Like the finance thread, this one is under "minimum derail" conditions. Make it a question, an answer or a discussion about the answer, please.

My Name Is Jonas
Apr 11, 2007
On mine...

Yeah, I did the Pre-Separation Worksheet tonight. I said 'gently caress it' and took the Terminal. I'll be back in the States July 16th!

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
What are the worst reasons to join the military?

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Busket_in_Posket posted:

Your girlfriend/boyfriend is in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
To be a SEAL/sniper/Green Beret/Delta/TF 141/general.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Busket_in_Posket posted:

Can't find a job.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Busket_in_Posket posted:

Got nothing better to do

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

I got the internet going nuts.

Busket_in_Posket posted:

4 in the Corps or 10 in the pen.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Busket_in_Posket posted:

To be an Army of one.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Got my Admiralty Interview Board in 2 weeks. 3 day interview in front of an admiral and two other RN or RM officers. Going in for Jungly (helicopter that flys the marines around) pilot. Last step before joining Intial Officer Training at Dartmouth.

Hoping for some quick advice from anyone who's done the AIB or even the Army or RAF versions. Hell, I guess any advice regarding this sort of interview would be awesome.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Orange Someone posted:

Hoping for some quick advice from anyone who's done the AIB or even the Army or RAF versions. Hell, I guess any advice regarding this sort of interview would be awesome.

Could you describe it a little more? I'm sure the US goons, officer type, (or at least me) would be able to give you some advice if we've got a little bit better idea of what exactly it is.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Orange Someone posted:

Got my Admiralty Interview Board in 2 weeks. 3 day interview in front of an admiral and two other RN or RM officers. Going in for Jungly (helicopter that flys the marines around) pilot. Last step before joining Intial Officer Training at Dartmouth.

I completed a board interview which contained a panel in order to apply for Army Warrant Officer Flight Training. If it is anything like the Army, here is how mine went:

1. Walked into the room, general introduction, stated my name and what program I was applying for.

2. From there they went into my letters of recommendation(s). Asked how I knew the individuals.

3. Since I had previous aviation experience, we discussed how working in the civilian sector as a pilot would help prepare me for my Army career.

4. Asked a few questions about the airplane I was most current in (general systems info, just to guage my BS meter I guess).

5. Asked why I wanted to join the Army and leave civilian flying.

I was well received at the board, and they went on to recommend me and I made it into the program. Here is the advice I have to offer:

1. Sit down, make sure to unbutton your suit coat before you sit in the chair.
2. Make sure your hands are dry before you shake anyones hand, brush them off on your pants before entering. Nerves make some people sweat.
3. When you sit down, place your hands on your knees and keep them there.
4. Place your feet square on the ground and do not move them, fidget, etc.
5. Be confident in your answers but not a smug rear end in a top hat.
6. Have some reason other than "I WANT TO BE PILOT" when they ask why you want to serve. No poo poo you want to have one of the best jobs in the service.
7. Try to pause before answering each question, to show some sort of thought process went in before you open your mouth and poo poo out a bunch of information.
8. Answer the questions they ask ONLY, do not go off on a tangent about how your grandmother doesn't like cream in her coffee. If they want more, they will probe you.
9. Relax as much as possible.

Other than that, good luck. These are general suggestions that should help you in any type of interview situation. Really helped me out though.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Busket_in_Posket posted:

To kill people

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Busket_in_Posket posted:

You suck at everything and want a steady paycheck.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
How easy is it to establish residency in new states where you intend to live after serving? I'm trying to think long term so that when I apply for schools once I get out, I don't have to deal with paying the gap between in state and out of state tuition rates.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Quarterly Prophet posted:

How easy is it to establish residency in new states where you intend to live after serving? I'm trying to think long term so that when I apply for schools once I get out, I don't have to deal with paying the gap between in state and out of state tuition rates.

Depends on the state. Generally speaking you need to have a driver's license in the state, have your vehicle registered in the state, be registered to vote there, own/rent property there, or some combination of all of the above.

However, it's worth mentioning that many states have additional/different requirements between establishing legal residency and establishing residency for the purposes of in state tuition. I'd recommend looking on the Secretary of State's website for whatever state you are interested in and poking around the website of the school you want to go to...most (decently sized) schools' websites have a pretty good FAQ section on what it takes to get in state tuition there.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Quarterly Prophet posted:

Like iyaayas said, it varies from state to state but isn't super difficult or anything in most cases.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Thanks lnav vnav usatoday. That's helpful, although I am terrible at interviews.

iyaayas01 posted:

Could you describe it a little more? I'm sure the US goons, officer type, (or at least me) would be able to give you some advice if we've got a little bit better idea of what exactly it is.

Two/three day process involving varied tasks culminating in a Board-like interview. Starts with written exams testing coherency, general english, Naval Knowledge, comphrension and such like. Moves on to practical leadership tasks (getting across a bottomless chasm, building a bridge over a bottomless chasm, ferrying a dummy across a bottomless chasm), a leaderless task (like the leadership task, except they don't assign a leader) and a bleep test.

Then there's a planning exercise and the Board interview on the last day.

This is it in more detail

Not really sure how it corresponds to the US system, but this basically decides who goes into Basic Officer Training (which is about 1 year long, most people already have a degree when they go in).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Alright, first thing that stands out to me...does the RN training pipeline have an official "six problem solving steps" checklist or any bullshit like that? Reason I ask is that over here, when you're in the more rudimentary stages of training they expect you to use that checklist (each service usually has its own version) whenever you're doing a leadership/problem solving exercise like the "bottomless chasm" stuff you described. This stuff is of course pretty much useless in the real military (at least in rote form...there is a great example of it being used inappropriately in the new Battlestar Galactica, with Lt Crashdown...but I won't get any further into that.) However, they generally do expect you to use it, even if you are only giving lip service to certain steps...for example, the first step in AFROTC's was "identify the problem." Even if the problem was blindingly obvious ("Get all of your team and these ammo cans from one side of the chasm to another") you still had to say "The problem is to get ourselves and these cans from here to over there" otherwise they would mark you down. Plus, since it sounds like this is a "induction" type selection thing, if you know something like that it shows that you did your research (i.e., you care a lot about getting in) and might set you apart.

On the "leaderless" task, try and step up to be the leader...but don't be a douche about it, which brings me to my next point. On the tasks where you aren't a leader, be a good follower. A lot of times in situations like this where you have a bunch of officer candidates on a team, you get the "too many chiefs/not enough indians" problem and everyone starts talking over each other and trying to take charge. You can set yourself apart by demonstrating that you know how to be a good follower as well as a good leader. Finally, if that does happen when you are in charge, don't be afraid to (politely) put them back in their place and reassert command.

Beyond that, good interview tips were pretty much covered. Just want to footstomp the confident without being smug thing, pausing before you answer, and having an idea of why you want to get into the program. Confident without being smug is important because, as I'm sure you've heard all the platitudes before, you can pull off a lot when you act and sound confident. That's what they're looking for in an officer. Pausing before you answer will do a couple things...it'll a) make you look smart, and b) hopefully make you sound smart by giving you a few seconds to format your answer in a form that sounds intelligent instead of verbal diarrhea. Finally, having an idea of why you want to get in...you don't necessarily need to have some super thought out answer, but you do need to have a little bit of thought behind whatever your reason is. For example, when I did my AFROTC scholarship interview, my answer for why I wanted in was that I wanted to serve my country. It sounds cliche, but it was the truth...however, I got away with that unoriginal of an answer because I had a "because" and then some :words: after it.

Last thing, it sounds like you're already doing this, but make sure you're getting the academic/test portion of things covered...those are easy points. Not sure if there are any of in the UK, but here there are study guides for the various military qualifying tests available in bookstores and such. Might want to look at grabbing one of those if you haven't already.

Hopefully that helped.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 31, 2010

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I know you can use orders to terminate or suspend a cell phone contract, but does the same rule apply to internet service contracts?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

I know you can use orders to terminate or suspend a cell phone contract, but does the same rule apply to internet service contracts?

Yup. :) Well, it worked for me. Cell phone, internet, cable...I think that was everything I had a contract for. It got me out of everything.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

psydude posted:

It really depends on the service provider. I would just inquire with an email. My money is on that they will let you out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cool. I want to get FiOS, but they only offer the best price with a 2 year agreement, and I'm fairly sure I'll be headed to OBC well before that.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Foreign Language Proficiency Pay--

I am deploying to Afghanistan in about a year. For the last 4 months I've been self-studying Pashto because I tend do random poo poo like that. If I was somehow able to pass a proficiency test before deploying, would I be eligible for Foreign Language Proficiency Pay even though I'm not in a linguist's billet? (I'm a corpsman)

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

sharkbomb posted:

Foreign Language Proficiency Pay--

I am deploying to Afghanistan in about a year. For the last 4 months I've been self-studying Pashto because I tend do random poo poo like that. If I was somehow able to pass a proficiency test before deploying, would I be eligible for Foreign Language Proficiency Pay even though I'm not in a linguist's billet? (I'm a corpsman)

Yes.

The long answer is more complex than yes/no. You must pass at an acceptable level on the DPLT, have an MOS that needs the language, and/or have a critical language. (Pasto is.)

The amount of pay you get is determined by all of these factors and probably a few more I don't know of. I pulled a 2/2/1+ in Chinese which gave me some extra cash while I was deployed as a non-linguist. I didn't get the max amount since I am not a linguist and not in the right AO.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

grover posted:

Can't find a job.

In our current lovely economy this isn't a lovely reason anymore, but only if you plan ahead and poo poo. At least I didn't lie to myself and joined because some bullshit reason like "I feel patriotic and I want to serve my country! :patriot:".

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ElMaligno posted:

In our current lovely economy this isn't a lovely reason anymore,
No, sorry, it's still a lovely reason.

As is "Oh gently caress, my degree turned out to be worthless and now they want me to start repaying the loans!"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

grover posted:

No, sorry, it's still a lovely reason.

As is "Oh gently caress, my degree turned out to be worthless and now they want me to start repaying the loans!"

It's a job which, like most other jobs, comes with its associated set of risks and benefits, downsides and upsides. As long as you're going into it cognizant of all of that (and if you posted or lurked here you most likely are), I don't see a problem with "I can't find a job and the economy is lovely, I'll join up for a tour and see where I am then."

I'm pretty curious to know (this is my quick question) why it is that you think this, grover.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Joining the military is more than a job; it's a complete lifestyle change. You'd better drat well want that lifestyle change, or you will absolutely find yourself miserable. If you join mostly because you can't find a job, and you're only looking at it because your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc, choices all failed... then you're probably not looking at the military as something you want to do so much as a drastic last resort.

You should be joining the military because you want to, not because you feel pressured by economics. There are way easier ways to earn a paycheck, ways that come with less drastic impact to your life.

See also:

Casimir Radon posted:

You suck at everything and want a steady paycheck.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

grover posted:

You should be joining the military because you want to, not because you feel pressured by economics. There are way easier ways to earn a paycheck, ways that come with less drastic impact to your life.

For example, you could become a civilian contractor like Grover.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

grover posted:

You should be joining the military because you want to, not because you feel pressured by economics.

What if its both? I always wanted to join the Coast Guard AND was feeling pressured by the economy. So for me its both business and pleasure, I am becoming a better person, saving lives AND getting a paycheck. So whats to hate about my job?

(Ask me again in 6 months)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

ElMaligno posted:

At least I didn't lie to myself and joined because some bullshit reason like "I feel patriotic and I want to serve my country! :patriot:".

hurf yeah a desire to serve is sure bullshit, you got it nailed

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slippery posted:

hurf yeah a desire to serve is sure bullshit, you got it nailed

I mean that more in the way that "I did not lie" rather than "hurr hurr patriots are morons hurr", I apologize if that didn't came out right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

ElMaligno posted:

I mean that more in the way that "I did not lie" rather than "hurr hurr patriots are morons hurr", I apologize if that didn't came out right.

Aww, it's cool, nobody ever apologized to me before :shobon:

Sorry I might have come off a little crusty there, my bad.

• Locked thread