Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cenen posted:

Since I didn't join the Army I doubt I'll ever wear an ACU patrol cap. Anyone have guidance for the MULTICAM BASEBALL CAP?

Wear it with an Affliction t-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Cenen posted:

Since I didn't join the Army I doubt I'll ever wear an ACU patrol cap. Anyone have guidance for the MULTICAM BASEBALL CAP?

The Air Force calls their uniform headgear a "baseball cap"?

At least pretend to be a part of the world's mightiest military, ffs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
No, they don't. The wear rules are the same as the ABU cap. Don't be a oval office.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
All I'm saying is that there are a billion results for the multicam baseball cap. It's different from the patrol or boonie and its authorized for the unit we are going with. It's literally called the "multicam baseball cap".

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

No, they don't. The wear rules are the same as the ABU cap. Don't be a oval office.

He's not talking about the ABU/multi-cam patrol cap, he's talking about a literal baseball cap in multi-cam. Typically the only people you see wearing it in the USAF is "cool dudes" like PJs or whatever that don't really pay attention to uniform regs anyway. Which leads me to...

Cenen, if the unit you're going with is authorized to wear that then I don't think it's going to be the type of environment where anyone is whipping out 36-2903 to correct you on uniform infractions. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if you're ever caught in an actual approved in the AFI uniform combo this entire deployment you're doing it wrong.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If that's what he's actually talking about, then the fact that he's even asking me the question leads me to doubt he's authorized. That's one of those things that isn't (or at least it wasn't) even addressed in the regs because nobody in the position to go that route cared about those regs.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Some SOCAFRICA LTC wrote some poo poo we could show up in and the "optional multicam baseball cap is authorized" so yeah. I'm asking since I've never rolled with these kind of people before, sounds like no one here really had either I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pretty sure you're the first one here to go to AFRICOM, so yeah.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cenen posted:

Some SOCAFRICA LTC wrote some poo poo we could show up in and the "optional multicam baseball cap is authorized" so yeah. I'm asking since I've never rolled with these kind of people before, sounds like no one here really had either I guess.

If it's SOC-anything don't worry about uniform regs, I wasn't joking when I said if you were wearing an actual approved uniform combo once the entire trip you were doing it wrong.

The last something-SOC people I interacted with wore jeans and t-shirts with beards and carried Glocks, and this wasn't out in the middle of nowhere, this was on KAF.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

My Name Is Jonas posted:

Stealing this idea from GWS (and maybe some others, but I only frequent a couple). If you have a question that needs and answer but doesn't deserve a thread, post it here to save some room. Be sure to mention which branch was we all know things are absolutely the same in this Joint Operations Environment we all live in today.

I'll start it off, since I tried figuring it out for myself.

(Air Force)

How do you calculate what your leave would sell for instead of taking terminal? I'm contemplating selling my leave since I'm not near what I want in my savings account.

I think there's an online calculator for that. I know it's a percentage of Pay less BAH. your command career counselor should know. Also, everyone will tell you not to sell it because ZOMG you make more money taking the leave. This is true only if you do not have follow on employment lined up...because if you have no job, you may as well take the leave. If you have a job lined up and can start asap, sell the leave.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

iyaayas01 posted:

If it's SOC-anything don't worry about uniform regs, I wasn't joking when I said if you were wearing an actual approved uniform combo once the entire trip you were doing it wrong.

The last something-SOC people I interacted with wore jeans and t-shirts with beards and carried Glocks, and this wasn't out in the middle of nowhere, this was on KAF.

show up in correct uniform for check in so you're not "that guy" and then go by what everyone else your rank is wearing.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hey, N4I, I am seeing a lot of repeat questions (a lot about med boards, PEB, VA claims etc.) I was a jag, did defense, legal assistance, and PEB hearings, and have a lot of info on these topics...as penance for my poo poo post, would you mind if I created a legal resources and FAQ thread?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ActusRhesus posted:

Hey, N4I, I am seeing a lot of repeat questions (a lot about med boards, PEB, VA claims etc.) I was a jag, did defense, legal assistance, and PEB hearings, and have a lot of info on these topics...as penance for my poo poo post, would you mind if I created a legal resources and FAQ thread?

Absolutely make something like this.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Absolutely make something like this.

k. If the mod confirms it's cool, I'll get something up today. Basic Answers to FAQs, and if people have additional questions, I can provide other answers if I have them and resources. etc. if I don't.

...but it seems like this is something that could be useful, esp. since I'm seeing a lot of the same questions popping up both here and in other vet forums I visit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You don't need mod approval to post a thread, especially if it's one that is full of useful information. As with everything else on this site: :justpost:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't need mod approval to post a thread, especially if it's one that is full of useful information. As with everything else on this site: :justpost:

yeah, but my last post was a poo poo post...so I'm trying to tread lightly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Seriously don't sweat it. Just be willing to maintain/update it as new ideas/FAQs/resources come up.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

cool. It's up. I started with some basic PEB vs. VA, what good is a Congressional Complaint? and "why is my ex allowed to take part of my pension?" questions. I'll check in fairly regularly, and if there are other law types here who want to chime in, their input is welcome too.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cenen posted:

posting from the future to say enjoy your ebola o7

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Quick question for those who would know: I served in the peacetime Marine Corps Reserve and was never activated. I know I'm not a veteran, as I never got a dd214, but is there a word for what I am now that I'm out?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Spiderjelly posted:

Quick question for those who would know: I served in the peacetime Marine Corps Reserve and was never activated. I know I'm not a veteran, as I never got a dd214, but is there a word for what I am now that I'm out?

A better person.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

zombie303 posted:

A better person.

Yeah, I suppose. Can I say that the Marine Corps sucked in this forum without pissing a bunch of devil goons off? Cause it did.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
heh

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Spiderjelly posted:

Yeah, I suppose. Can I say that the Marine Corps sucked in this forum without pissing a bunch of devil goons off? Cause it did.

Welcome to the fold, my child.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Spiderjelly posted:

If I remember correctly, you're technically a veteran with 100 days of service or some poo poo, and all the Marine Corps Reservists I know get their DD214s when they end the drill (or at least they're supposed to).

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I got a DD214 as the first thing when I joined the reserves since I was being discharged from active duty. I've used it to qualify for a lot of veteran stuff like using only my income for financial aid instead of my parents.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Pandasmores posted:

If I remember correctly, you're technically a veteran with 100 days of service or some poo poo, and all the Marine Corps Reservists I know get their DD214s when they end the drill (or at least they're supposed to).

Hmmm. I exited the military in a "non-traditional" way. I have a 1A reenlistment code and everything, but I've never seen a DD 214.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Then they hosed up, you should have one. No idea where to get it, but it shouldn't be hard to google.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DaNerd posted:

I got a DD214 as the first thing when I joined the reserves since I was being discharged from active duty. I've used it to qualify for a lot of veteran stuff like using only my income for financial aid instead of my parents.

This is correct. You received a DD-214 when you graduated from bootcamp/mos school.

Pandasmores posted:

all the Marine Corps Reservists I know get their DD214s when they end the drill (or at least they're supposed to).

This is incorrect. You do not recieve a DD-214 at the end of every drill or at the end of AT. You receive a DD-214 at the end of active duty service.

Spiderjelly posted:

Hmmm. I exited the military in a "non-traditional" way. I have a 1A reenlistment code and everything, but I've never seen a DD 214.

If you can login to Marine OnLine you can find digital copies of all your DD-214s.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

If you can login to Marine OnLine you can find digital copies of all your DD-214s.

I tried to do this, but it's asking for my pay entry base date. I have no idea about this and no longer have any of my marine corps paperwork. I'm not even sure what date I started RT. Any easy way to figure it out?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What exactly is a "non-traditional" exit?

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Dead Reckoning posted:

What exactly is a "non-traditional" exit?

They found out about my ADHD and npq'd me for the rest of my contract. I was apparently still in the Marines until '06, even though I stopped drilling in 2000 and stopped remembering that the Marine Corps existed by '01. I checked in with them the first month after I got put on npq and said, "yup, still got ADHD." After that, I just didn't call, and they didn't call me. I got curious a couple of years ago and contacted some Marine records office, and a lcpl there explained what had happened.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spiderjelly posted:

I tried to do this, but it's asking for my pay entry base date. I have no idea about this and no longer have any of my marine corps paperwork. I'm not even sure what date I started RT. Any easy way to figure it out?

That date is usually whatever day you shipped off to basic training, ie your very first day on payroll.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

This is incorrect. You do not recieve a DD-214 at the end of every drill or at the end of AT. You receive a DD-214 at the end of active duty service.

Weird, I wonder why they give the reservists out here theirs at the end of every drill.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Pandasmores posted:

Weird, I wonder why they give the reservists out here theirs at the end of every drill.

A stupid misinterpretation of some NAVPERS instruction? How does anything get done in the Navy/military?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

What. At least Army side, you only get a DD-214 for being on active orders for more than 30 days AFAIK.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DoktorLoken posted:

What. At least Army side, you only get a DD-214 for being on active orders for more than 30 days AFAIK.

I don't think this is correct either. You could have an AT that lasts longer than 30days. You shouldn't get one unless you are called to active duty under Title 10 orders.

This is how you get a new one if you lost yours.
https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Spent the evening drinking as I finished up midterms so, I do not have appropriate regs backing up the following so YMMV until I give a poo poo and read this again. Also, this is Navy Reserve side if for some reason the NGB does something completely stupid (likely).

AT is normally 12-14 days. Extended AT allowed up to 29 days per the TYCOM, I think.

While on ADT order, once you cross the 90 day threshold, you are eligible for a 214 and should contact your nearest MTF to be moved to Tricare Prime (this you should do when you have your order's endorsed as you are basically on AD for Tricare purposes.) If your orders extend beyond 180 days, you should be eligible for a uniform allowance as if you were on AD. Note: These don't stack together if you have back-to-back ADT orders.

Once again, trust but verify.

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Sort of curious about how accurate a movie like zero dark thirty is. Can someone point me in a direction where I could look at this more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ThisGuy posted:

Sort of curious about how accurate a movie like zero dark thirty is. Can someone point me in a direction where I could look at this more?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I remember hearing someone say they were being investigated because the movie was accurate enough that they thought there were Intel leaks.

Whether or not that's true I have no idea. For all I know it was just hype for the movie.

• Locked thread