Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Original name guy
Jul 11, 2013

Carteret posted:

Did you ever go to sick call for it? This is important.

I went 2 or 3 times, only was ever shown to coremen, so is it even on record in that case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Original name guy posted:

I went 2 or 3 times, only was ever shown to coremen, so is it even on record in that case?

The corpsman may or may not have inputted your stuff into AHLTA. If you were on a ship it's usually not the case, they usually just give you stuff and send you on your way. If you went to the actual hospital you have a likely chance that it's in there.

I believe that as long as you got out within the last 180 days you can still get seen as long as it wasn't dishonorable, but I can't recall the exact instruction off the top of my head.

Original name guy
Jul 11, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

The corpsman may or may not have inputted your stuff into AHLTA. If you were on a ship it's usually not the case, they usually just give you stuff and send you on your way. If you went to the actual hospital you have a likely chance that it's in there.

I believe that as long as you got out within the last 180 days you can still get seen as long as it wasn't dishonorable, but I can't recall the exact instruction off the top of my head.

So should i just head the nearest VA health place and ask about it then?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Original name guy posted:

So should i just head the nearest VA health place and ask about it then?

That'd be my best bet, but they don't have access to the same information as a military hospital would. Find the VA Rep and ask them if there's any way you could request your medical record from the nearest hospital if they need proof/if you want to verify it was put into the system. Couldn't hurt.

Original name guy
Jul 11, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

That'd be my best bet, but they don't have access to the same information as a military hospital would. Find the VA Rep and ask them if there's any way you could request your medical record from the nearest hospital if they need proof/if you want to verify it was put into the system. Couldn't hurt.

will do, thanks

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
My VA claim finally finished. But now it's showing a new claim, of 'Claim Type: Retired Pay Waiver or Election'. I got the bigass envelope in the mail, but it doesn't have any kind of waiver thingy. So what the heck do I do now? I called the VA help line and they didn't even know what the claim type was.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Not sure if this belongs here but does anyone know anything about what are the non-deployable units at Fort Gordon? Say for example the 706th Military Intelligence Group NSA/CSS. If I get stuck stateside, that would be a total bummer.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

popejackson posted:

Not sure if this belongs here but does anyone know anything about what are the non-deployable units at Fort Gordon? Say for example the 706th Military Intelligence Group NSA/CSS. If I get stuck stateside, that would be a total bummer.

WTB and AIT cadre!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

popejackson posted:

The only time you're going to become non-deployable is if you becoming attached to a TRADOC unit or get hurt real bad. Also keep in mind the war is about done so you probably won't be deploying anyway. Furthermore, from what I've heard so long as you aren't a drill sergeant/instructor being part of TRADOC can be pretty chill.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Your shop can veto you deploying if they pull a "mission essential/critically manned," card when you're working NSA/CSS or direct support for any ongoing operations so hope neither of those two are the case. Usually they don't, but it happens. Either way the wars are ending, like Gleep said, so it's not likely to happen anyway unless you really hunt for it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I'm a contractor and I have a question about my return home route.

So I arrive in Dubai from Afghanistan, and then from Dubai I am supposed to take an Etihad bus to Abu Dhabi (the ticket is already booked) for my next flight. My question is where do I find this bus (it is listed as XNB on the boarding pass.) I searched around and found a few people asking the same question but the answers were always a clusterfuck. I suppose I'll have to take a taxi to where I catch the bus but I can't find a goddamn address for where I need to go.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Alright figured out it, I'll just take the metro to the Etihad bus station. Looks like I'll actually get to see Dubai for a few hours this time.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Glad you got it figured out man; Dubai can be a pain since the terminal that does arrivals/departures for Afghanistan is a long ways away from the main area.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
(USMC, but any branch/country really)

I just bought a Ka-Bar knife off Amazon. It's a very fine knife and easily is the best I own.

The scabbard however has a prominent EGA on it along with "USMC". I covered it up with duct tape and will probably look to sandpaper off that stuff as I don't feel right about it otherwise.

The question is: Do you guys even give a poo poo if you see some goon traipsing around with stuff that has your logos on it?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
You're not stealing valor, nobody in their right mind will care.

Don't ruin the finish if it looks cool, that's just dumb; enjoy stabbing poo poo or whatever novelty you bought it for without worry.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

skooma512 posted:

(USMC, but any branch/country really)

I just bought a Ka-Bar knife off Amazon. It's a very fine knife and easily is the best I own.

The scabbard however has a prominent EGA on it along with "USMC". I covered it up with duct tape and will probably look to sandpaper off that stuff as I don't feel right about it otherwise.

The question is: Do you guys even give a poo poo if you see some goon traipsing around with stuff that has your logos on it?

I was gifted a K-Bar by my uncle when I got out of Boot. It was used three times to open MREs and once to get a headphones out of their retarded packaging. Then it got stolen by an Air Force dude in the barracks at Edwards which prompted me to steal a bunch of dudes' brand new Air Force cammie bottoms from their balconies and turn them in to swim shorts.

So unless you're using my stolen knife, I sure as gently caress won't care.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When did Vasudus step down as a mod?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Anatharon posted:

When did Vasudus step down as a mod?

Couple weeks back pending the results of his trial.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

lol

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gleep gloop posted:

What?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

go look at the QCS thread about Vas.

e: actually it got gassed

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625695

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

I was gifted a K-Bar by my uncle when I got out of Boot. It was used three times to open MREs and once to get a headphones out of their retarded packaging. Then it got stolen by an Air Force dude in the barracks at Edwards which prompted me to steal a bunch of dudes' brand new Air Force cammie bottoms from their balconies and turn them in to swim shorts.
Congratulations on your retarded looking swim trunks.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

mr nice is a little probation happy, i think

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here happen to have any direct experience with the "Track" program offered through WWP?

The only way to get a direct one-on-one with anyone in WWP that I've seen is to apply and I'm not exactly keen to submit all of the release waivers to them just yet.

For those who've never seen it:

The "Track" program offered by WWP is a program for disabled vets that helps them get back into/start school after their service. It's 1 year long, takes place in FL or TX and pays a living stipend as well as relocation fees (A U-Haul) and help finding a place to live prior to the program kicking off. They work hand in hand with Voch Rehab through the VA as well to accomplish all of it.

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/programs/track.aspx

I'm looking for any personal experiences and they don't need to be campus dependent.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

OK security clearance question.

I am a contractor with a Secret clearance. I am planning on marrying a foreign national, either later this year or early next year. I understand that while I have a job I just send the marriage certificate to my security officer at the company and she handles the rest.

But what happens if I marry a foreign national, while I have a security clearance, and I don't have a job (which may be the case if we have to wait until next year?)

I'll still be inactive reserve at that time, so maybe I could contact my IRR counselor?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's probably a good place to start. Your clearance status is maintained by a security manager somewhere, and ultimately that's the person who needs the info.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I have a question. I don't know if it really fits here but damned if I know where it fits anywhere else either.

Why do people fake/pretend to be in the military, past or present? I mean, really. Especially in public. It's like wearing a god drat clown mask, or at least that's what it feels like to me. I was in the Air Force for almost 10 years and the only time I even mention it is if someone asks or if I'm at the VA hospital talking to someone about where I've been (lol, England, Illinois, Germany - in that order, I never even deployed). Pretty much everyone there wants to ask so I answer. That's really it aside from a few silly anecdotes about dumb poo poo that I did in Europe.

I just don't get this. Why would you even WANT to make up this bullshit? Is there some sympathy card you're playing for? You want people to think you're some kind of star? I feel like a god drat idiot for staying around as long as I did, so I definitely don't get that part... and the AF threw me 52 thousand dollars to stay in! Hell, why else do you think I signed that stupid piece of paper.

I dunno, I just really don't get it. And the worst part is they always say they were some kind of weird spec ops super seal marine ranger phoenix raven fuckass, special this special that, like they served in twelve world wars and sure as gently caress shot EVERY ONE OF YOU RIGHT IN THE HEAD from five thousand yards. Ugh. Why do these people exist?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

People that were never in/have no concept of the military have this weird guilt complex where anybody who served is a pillar of hooah/oorah/hooyah/(whatever dumb poo poo the af says) that literally sacrificed everything to go defend freedom and save babies from brown people. It's residual guilt from how lovely vets were treated following Vietnam combined with 9/11 never forget jingoism. Because of this group's endless compulsion to support the troops (whatever that means) a cottage industry of fake mil grifters has formed to reap these benefits.

Either that or dumb kids play too much CoD and want the honor and prestige that comes with state-sanctioned murder without actually going and doing it. Or both. I don't know.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
People will pretend to do / be anything they imagine is more exciting or glamorous. It's not limited to the mil at all.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I guess that's what I don't get about it. There's really NOTHING glamorous about the military... at least not from my perspective, and I've been there. Maybe it's some weird shiny thing for people who just don't know how much it sucks. I don't know, it's just really goddamn weird to me.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Honestly, the fakers that have never been in weird me out less than the active duty who have huge moto boners to compensate for their desk jobs.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Fenrir posted:

it's some weird shiny thing for people who just don't know how much it sucks.

Ding ding ding.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Im doing research for a campaign analysis in grad school, writing about the Guadalcanal campaign of 1942-43. As part of my appendices, I need to include orders of battle for the battles I'm focusing on (specifically, the Battle for Henderson Field and Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands).

Where on earth can I find this sort of stuff? I'm non-military and completely unfamiliar with this sort of stuff, but the professor gave us absolutely nothing to go on, no resources, not even a really strong understanding of what order of battle is made up of. Do you guys have any more familiarity and maybe any idea where I could look something like this up?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Here would be a starting point. Obviously I'd cross reference, but if you dont even know what an Order of Battle is this is more than you have currently.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
An order of battle is basically the breakdown of forces involved. At the bare minimum, you want rough numbers of personnel, number and types of aircraft, ships, boats, other vehicles, and major units. For both sides. More detail is probably better, so long as you can package and present it properly. The "how" depends on your program, professor, and the focus of the paper.

What's your degree? In general, primary sources are more valued than secondary. Primary=firsthand accounts, reports, letters, etc. Secondary=articles and books written by others later, adding the authors' opinions and poo poo into the mix.

For something like this (I have no idea how long the paper is or when you need to be done researching) I'd look for memoirs, most of which were probably written by senior officers, and I'd look for no-poo poo after action reports written by the tactical leadership...the NCOs and junior officers who were on the beaches. There are a ridiculous amount of that kind of document, and most or all is declassified (all of it should be)...it may not all be readily available, but that's a high profile event so it should be. Throw in a couple of decent books...try seeing if the Marines have a list of recommended books to read. They have a massive hard on for this battle, so I'm sure they've got a few decent books.

Always check the sources of any books/articles you use. That helps track down primary sources and even good secondary sources.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 29, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Honestly, the fakers that have never been in weird me out less than the active duty who have huge moto boners to compensate for their desk jobs.

This isn't even limited to dudes outside. I went to some combat medicine training in Camp Pendleton and there were some dudes that were in for like 6 months trying to get laid by saying they just got back from combat deployments and poo poo out in town. Why the hell you'd use military experience to pick up disgusting chicks in military towns is beyond me.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
For the Guadalcanal OB question, I'd try and get your hands on this book. It's a secondary source so I wouldn't cite it directly unless you have to, but from what I understand it is written in a very scholarly fashion, so you should be able to go through the notes and find the primary sources that Frank used as sourcing for any OB related discussion in his book.

e: Might be worth asking the question in the MilHist thread over in A/T.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 29, 2014

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pandasmores posted:

This isn't even limited to dudes outside. I went to some combat medicine training in Camp Pendleton and there were some dudes that were in for like 6 months trying to get laid by saying they just got back from combat deployments and poo poo out in town. Why the hell you'd use military experience to pick up disgusting chicks in military towns is beyond me.

A good friend of mine, RIP, came home telling us stories about how he'd already been to Iraq and bagged his first confirmed kill after he got home from boot/AIT. The guy ended up becoming a Cav Scout but at the time the rest of us were already Marines with 1-2 pumps under our belts. It was worth a quick pathetic laugh but we let him play his game to the womenfolk as long as he didnt involve us.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If you aren't collecting BAH/BAS there's a cutoff for how much leave you have to take in order to collect BAH, correct? I know you get reimbursed BAS. But I think I remember hearing to get BAH you have to take 2 weeks minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Christoff posted:

If you aren't collecting BAH/BAS there's a cutoff for how much leave you have to take in order to collect BAH, correct? I know you get reimbursed BAS. But I think I remember hearing to get BAH you have to take 2 weeks minimum

I've never heard of this. Ever.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. BAS, maybe, for food allowance due to a chow hall not being around but I highly doubt they would give you BAH.. ever.. Especially not just because you took some leave.

• Locked thread