Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mine apparently are still a year or two down the road from becoming a problem, so I'm not Dental Class 3, but I get x-rays slightly more often. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pandasmores posted:

Usually they set up an appointment as soon as they can and give you a few days of SIQ with some narcos to help you sleep. Luckily had all five of mine pulled before I left for boot. For some of the guys here if they're going on deployment and need them pulled I've seen the Dental dudes schedule the appointment before they leave.

Ya for us the base dental units aren't equipped or something to do it, so they send you into the nearest good dentist's practice to get it done. So most of the time it's scheduled before deployment but the odd chance the cocky dentist is booked, it's scheduled for when he can get around to it.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
I've got HM on my contract and I ship in two months, I want to go FMF at a-school.
Any advice?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh boy

Wish I could find all my old posts about HM/FMF easily

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Does archery have a practical use in the military, or is it just something as a hobby/recent pop culture phenomenon?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Benny the Snake posted:

Does archery have a practical use in the military, or is it just something as a hobby/recent pop culture phenomenon?

If you don't have line of sight to part of your squad in the middle of a firefight, but need to communicate with them, a bow and arrow can work as a delivery system for a field expedient Tin-Can Phone Handset.

Attach string to can, attach can to arrow, nock and fire.

Beware of enemy combatants armed with scissors.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Victor Vermis posted:

If you don't have line of sight to part of your squad in the middle of a firefight, but need to communicate with them, a bow and arrow can work as a delivery system for a field expedient Tin-Can Phone Handset.

Attach string to can, attach can to arrow, nock and fire.

Beware of enemy combatants armed with scissors.

We plan to replace our rifles with bows due to the recent tightening of O&M funds.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The rock and sling makes an apt replacement for an M203.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Benny the Snake posted:

:stare: I want to know what inspired this question.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

I've got HM on my contract and I ship in two months, I want to go FMF at a-school.
Any advice?

Then you should have had them put FMTB Camp Pendleton in your contract prior to signing it. Not to fear though, they opened a shitload of billets to FMTB so you'll probably get one or two when you are almost through a school. I don't mean A-school, I mean you'll likely get one even if you get shoved into a c-school that will have nothing to do with FMF poo poo. If you don't go to a C-school and you pick FMF orders to anything like MLG or MAW we will judge you. Division is the only thing to go to unless you're a girl because it at least gives you a chance at being a sick HM what we all imagine the guys with their faces lining the hospital walls as Medal of Honor recipients were. Hell a lot of those dudes are pharmacy techs.

Why do you want to go FMF?

EDIT: If you go to Lejeune me and Christoff are judging you.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

:stare: I want to know what inspired this question.

Rambo was on Spike lastnight, I think thats the culprit

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Booblord Zagats posted:

Rambo was on Spike lastnight, I think thats the culprit
Yep.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

Then you should have had them put FMTB Camp Pendleton in your contract prior to signing it. Not to fear though, they opened a shitload of billets to FMTB so you'll probably get one or two when you are almost through a school. I don't mean A-school, I mean you'll likely get one even if you get shoved into a c-school that will have nothing to do with FMF poo poo. If you don't go to a C-school and you pick FMF orders to anything like MLG or MAW we will judge you. Division is the only thing to go to unless you're a girl because it at least gives you a chance at being a sick HM what we all imagine the guys with their faces lining the hospital walls as Medal of Honor recipients were. Hell a lot of those dudes are pharmacy techs.

Why do you want to go FMF?

EDIT: If you go to Lejeune me and Christoff are judging you.

I tried to get it in my contract but the recruiter and Rating petty officer at meps said it doesn't work that way anymore, You have to make selection at HM A school.
I am going for FMF to get green side with the marines, I'm 26 so I don't have any delusions about serving and "Getting some".
I've always wanted to get medical training and do foot patrols in the desert butt holes of the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sounds like a good plan. I hope you enjoy sitting at a clinic handing out motrin!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Pandasmores posted:

Luckily had all five of mine pulled before I left for boot.

you disgust me you loving mutant

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Do you have access to a gym while in HM A school?
I'm pretty fit now but I need to keep working on it to get to marine corps standards.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Wokrider posted:

I'm pretty fit now but I need to keep working on it to get to marine corps standards.

Lol, USMC standard is about how many can's of skoal you can fit in your pockets without leaving a ring in your fuckin cammies

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

Yeah, there's a pretty sweet gym past the Army pods that everyone would go to, there's even a pool if you're feeling motto enough. If you don't leave A/C school swole you're doing something wrong because you have a shitload of free time. One dude got super fit and didn't do a drat thing outside of school apart from studying and becoming a chiseled Greek god and now he's debt free from all the savings. Plus it saves you from making stupid decisions like a lot of idiots do. Marine Corps standards aren't that high. Do pull-ups and run a lot and do more push-ups than 70 and you'll look great among your classmates. The problem is keeping it up after school because you'll probably end up in some shithole like Lemoore where I'll laugh at you at Command Indoc when I give the restraint training.

Remember this though: Throughout your entire naval career, whether it's the 5 years or you extend for more, as long as you don't rape someone, get a meme made out of you, and can tactfully do things like skate or call out bullshit, you'll likely do fine. There's nothing to stress about. I have a friend that went Diver, found out he was anemic, got booted over to HM, went Recon out of A school, rang the bell, and ended up here in Lemoore. Now the kid's going to Rhode Island after this and getting out, still getting Blue Jacket and all that fancy poo poo with evals. He's hosed up, but skates so well he should be in the Olympics. Bless his little heart.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

Yeah, there's a pretty sweet gym past the Army pods that everyone would go to, there's even a pool if you're feeling motto enough. If you don't leave A/C school swole you're doing something wrong because you have a shitload of free time. One dude got super fit and didn't do a drat thing outside of school apart from studying and becoming a chiseled Greek god and now he's debt free from all the savings. Plus it saves you from making stupid decisions like a lot of idiots do. Marine Corps standards aren't that high. Do pull-ups and run a lot and do more push-ups than 70 and you'll look great among your classmates. The problem is keeping it up after school because you'll probably end up in some shithole like Lemoore where I'll laugh at you at Command Indoc when I give the restraint training.

Remember this though: Throughout your entire naval career, whether it's the 5 years or you extend for more, as long as you don't rape someone, get a meme made out of you, and can tactfully do things like skate or call out bullshit, you'll likely do fine. There's nothing to stress about. I have a friend that went Diver, found out he was anemic, got booted over to HM, went Recon out of A school, rang the bell, and ended up here in Lemoore. Now the kid's going to Rhode Island after this and getting out, still getting Blue Jacket and all that fancy poo poo with evals. He's hosed up, but skates so well he should be in the Olympics. Bless his little heart.

Yeah I'm pretty much on planning to live on base and get swole like a mother fucker and pay off my school loans.
I was one of those fat kids with bitch tits my entire life, I went to the navy recruiter and they were like haha no way fatty war time is over.
So I got super loving motto and lost fifty five pounds and got my HM contract.I ain't ever going back to that lovely fat boy lifestyle.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Did we fund the Kurds in Iraq more then the IA and/or were they considered better allies? Watching this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MfMDTm6dk) and the Kurdish forces they show in the first few minutes seem a lot more organized, professional looking and better equipped then similar footage I've seen of the Iraqi Army.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I know we sat just out of the way (close enough to see impacts) and watched Turkey bomb the poo poo out of them.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Also pretty much all the King Airs the Army uses for ISR are contractor maintained and operated.

Although they're supposed to get part of the MC-12 fleet when the USAF divests them next year, so maybe those will be green-suit operated.

The Guard were supposed to get C-27s to replace their Sherpas but lol at how that turned out.

The Army has all sorts of different fixed wing ISR platforms. All are contractor maintained, the Army doesn't have any fixed wing mechanics, but quite a few are green suit operated. I personally flew on the ARL, which is a heavily modified Dash 7. The Army has a whole bunch of those.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I know a few Army pilots on Huachuca who fly RC-12s. But they're all maintained by contractors

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My grandfather served in the European theater in the second World War. He passed a few years back and never really spoke much of the experience. We have his medals and among them is a Bronze Star. I've searched around online to see if there was any information concerning the circumstances for its awarding, but I cannot find him anywhere. Is there a resource or an office with the Armed Forces that I could use/contact for this information? No one in the family knows anything about them and it's something that's bothered me of and on for years.

His unit can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/102nd_Infantry_Division_(United_States) I've attempted contacting a rep via their website but looking around the other year I found that the listed contact had passed away a bit before.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You could try contacting these guys to get his personnel records. A medal citation should be in there. A lot of records were lost in a huge fire in 1973 though, so they may not have survived.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll try and get something out of them, thanks! Any idea what would warrant an ammo truck driver getting a Bronze Star? He never mentioned anything of interest happening except getting occasionally shot at.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
A bronze star is a great honor but honestly, they aren't rare at all. Nowadays they are simply given to members of the military of a certain rank upon completing a deployment. If there is a V device along with the medal that indicates it is for valor. Aka doing something heroic.

I'm not saying your grandfather didn't do something exciting to earn the medal, but it's possible the story behind it may be completely mundane.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That was what I fugured. I have a few other medals here, but the star was the only one that I knew of that was of particular note. His little ribbon pins things and the bits of cloth for the shoulders of the uniform are here too. Also a medal for good conduct too.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Warbird posted:

That was what I fugured. I have a few other medals here, but the star was the only one that I knew of that was of particular note. His little ribbon pins things and the bits of cloth for the shoulders of the uniform are here too. Also a medal for good conduct too.

you should snap a picture of his Ribbon rack if it is still together, or just the medals if they are hanging out. You never know, a lot of the old school guys don't like to talk about war stuff with family, and your grandfather may have been downplaying poo poo.

That Good Conduct Medal is your standard "congratulations, you didn't gently caress up too badly in 3 years" medal. Everyone gets one or more as long as you aren't a dirtbag.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

How common is it for army officers to ETS at 0-1 or 0-2? I ask because I thought most officers usually leave at something at O-3, but I know two people (one a college friend who went through OCS in 2007, did a tour with the 82nd as a platoon leader in Iraq in 2009, and left as an 0-2 in late 2010 or early 2011, the other a coworker who got an honorable discharge as an 0-1.) I'm not suggesting that either of them were lovely soldiers, officers or people, I'm just curious about what the circumstances might have been.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

suboptimal posted:

How common is it for army officers to ETS at 0-1 or 0-2? I ask because I thought most officers usually leave at something at O-3, but I know two people (one a college friend who went through OCS in 2007, did a tour with the 82nd as a platoon leader in Iraq in 2009, and left as an 0-2 in late 2010 or early 2011, the other a coworker who got an honorable discharge as an 0-1.) I'm not suggesting that either of them were lovely soldiers, officers or people, I'm just curious about what the circumstances might have been.

Generally officers will have a commitment of 4 years or longer. So that's O-3, unless they missed a promotion or left early for some reason. It shouldn't take more than 4 years to make O-3...the promotions are literally automatic (aside from brief periods of time where downsizing hosed things up, but that only lasted a few months in the AF and probably didnt happen at all for the others).

It could be disciplinary issues of some kind, or medical. Those are usually the big ones.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah, a lot of officers who get out before O-4 seem to be medical. My brother got out as an O-2 because he literally broke his knee at FAC school and it needed 3-4 years to heal enough where he could run on it. His wife got out after only a year and a half as an Army Veterinarian when she had her hip broken by a parade horse. Another person I know got out as an O-2 because she got knocked up by her husband 3 times in 3 years and the Army just gave up on her ever actually deploying and offered her an honorable to just leave.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Interesting. I've fallen out of touch with the first guy, and I'm not going to pry into the second's details. Thanks for the responses.

Edit: I should add that I wouldn't be surprised if the first guy got kicked out because someone found out about all the weed he smoked in college and ratted him out for fraudulent enlistment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I doubt it was that...it takes a fair amount of effort to boot an officer. Hell, discharging an idiot junior E is a pain in the rear end.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Think about every retard who posts here: they all get promoted on time. Your friends are bigger, dumber retards then all of GIP put together since they didn't get promoted. Its almost physically impossible not to, they probably murdered someone, did tons of drugs, or something else retarded.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

anne frank fanfic posted:

Think about every retard who posts here: they all get promoted on time. Your friends are bigger, dumber retards then all of GIP put together since they didn't get promoted. Its almost physically impossible not to, they probably murdered someone, did tons of drugs, or something else retarded.

This is true. I'm an idiot and even I made E-5 in less than 6 years.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

I doubt it was that...it takes a fair amount of effort to boot an officer. Hell, discharging an idiot junior E is a pain in the rear end.

Not nowadays man. When I was ETSing in the winter of 2010 I would go wait for appointments in rooms with about 50 people. They would separate us by voluntary ETS and people being chaptered. The chapters outnumbered us by about 40 to 3. People were getting booted for PT, drug tests, over-weight, being late, all the things that used to be basically ignored. It was cool because we got to go first and then go home and be drunk by 11.

holocaust bloopers posted:

This is true. I'm an idiot and even I made E-5 in less than 6 years.

Uhhhh what branch were you again?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gleep gloop posted:

Not nowadays man. When I was ETSing in the winter of 2010 I would go wait for appointments in rooms with about 50 people. They would separate us by voluntary ETS and people being chaptered. The chapters outnumbered us by about 40 to 3. People were getting booted for PT, drug tests, over-weight, being late, all the things that used to be basically ignored. It was cool because we got to go first and then go home and be drunk by 11.

I'm talking about the paperwork side. It sucks, and the process (if the person wants to contest it, and ours did) can take long enough that it's often just easier to let them finish their term answering phones and doing bitch work so nobody else has to.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gleep gloop posted:

Uhhhh what branch were you again?

AF. 5-7 years is about when most people make E-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

holocaust bloopers posted:

AF. 5-7 years is about when most people make E-5.

drat dude. A ton of us in the army made E5 in less than two years.

• Locked thread