Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Okay, I'm going to give this a shot. The basic deal is this: you get one point for every UTA you do. One full day of work is two UTAs, hence two points earned. You need a minimum of fifty points per year plus you need to have performed "in a satisfactory manner", ie no AWOL or NJPs, in order for a year of service to count as "good". Twenty "good" years of service means you can retire. I'm pretty sure you need a minimum amount of points for retirement in addition to the 20 "good" years. If you retire at 20 years, your half pay is based off of your drill pay and payment starts at age 60. If you retire at age 60, you get the regular 3-year average off of the pay charts that active duty gets.

I'm not really sure how it works out for guys coming off of active- you can ask your Readiness NCO about points transfer. I did about a six month stint for active duty training last year, and I received 158 points before the fiscal year cut off- it looks like about a point per day, but your mileage may vary.

About.com has a pretty good article about it here:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/reserveretirmentpay/a/reserveretire.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

Here's a razor and a Nine Inch Nails album, go figure it out.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Isaac Asimov posted:

Just in case anyone cares, I got refrad(nondeployable status) from IRR as soon as a doctor saw my prescription list. I'm flying home Friday.

:coal:

Congrats, did you get to keep your hair?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Alright, I've got one. Hit two years TIS last month. I haven't deployed yet- I got into my guard unit when it was in rear detachment mode as a non-qual, and I've been in the same company as a PL ever since. (finished OBC and such last year, returned to unit afterwards) Our next scheduled deployment is in 2012 to Kuwait, so it looks like I'll be behind my peers deployment-wise and experience-wise. How hosed am I for making captain when my first in-zone board is convened?

EBB fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 6, 2010

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Why don't you talk to the AG and see if you can get to a deploying unit?

Probably nor hosed considering the guard is still very short on Os

Our battalion is hovering around 60% strength with more leaving in the next year or so, they're not really letting people leave to deploy with other units.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Those of us who are cool have 6 years select reserve/2 years IRR.

:c00l::hf::c00l:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Busket_in_Posket posted:

Edit: DOES A CAV SCOUT GET A CAPE

Only if you buy one. Also, each cape comes with a mustache and the ability to look like a douchebag.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Yeah man it's fine I went ahead and reenlisted for recruiting school and it turned out fine no regrets here

Adding another twenty to the suicide pool. :coal:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

STOP RESISTING! *WHACK!* STOP RESISTING! *POW* STOP RESISTING! *curb stomp*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

grover posted:

I cornered the person in charge of naval messaging and beat them with a teletype machine until, smashed to a bloody pulp, they agreed to ditch the loving all-caps poo poo.

It'll take about 2 years, but you can thank me later.

ALARACTs need more paragraphs and line breaks. That poo poo hurts my eyes to read.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Regicide posted:

I gave him advice too. 8-)

He's doomed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

kombatMedik posted:

Edit: If your unit gets new supplies all of a sudden, pack your bags. We got a brand new LMTZ painted DCU colors one January. That September, we were mobilizing.

This. We all new poo poo was on when we picked up around 30 of those fancy new thermal imaging scopes a couple months ago.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Rrail posted:

BRADLEY MANNING DID NOT NEED A TOP SECRET CLEARANCE TO NEARLY BRING THIS WHOLE COUNTRY DOWN.

Not so loud, all some of us have hangovers.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

True operators in Iraq drank:

Just keep it away from Charlie Sheen.

That poo poo's still funny right? Are Charlie Sheen jokes still okay? Aw gently caress it, even I know that poo poo is lame now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Theoretically yes, but why would you want to do it that way? Stick it out till the boards get less competitive and then go officer from the get-go.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

overdesigned posted:

I like Canadians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRIriU1ApVc

These men are my heroes. This is how fieldcraft should be taught.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Rrail posted:

Nope, I know what a night vision scope looks like Deathy. THANKS FOR ASSUMING I'M RETARDED.

We signed up for the military, we're all retarded.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Roving Reporter posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not. Just make sure you tell them the details just to be sure.

The US never prosecutes sex crimes which Americans commit abroad in non-extradition treaty countries.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wrap a bit of gauze lightly around it, and tie your shoelaces loosely. Generally, give your toenail time to grow back and avoid irritating the flesh underneath.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm writing an ARCOM for one of my E6s who is ETSing. What dates should I put under "period covering"?

E: Also, any suggestions for writing the citation? I can't find any retirement/ETS citation examples.

E2: Found these two, what do you think?

FOR EXCEPTIONALLY MERITORIOUS SERVICE AND PERFORMANCE WHILE SERVING AS THE/A ___________________. (RANK/NAME’S) DECISIVENESS (or LEADERSHIP), EXPERTISE, AND PROFESSIONALISM DIRECTLY ENHANCED THE COMBAT READINESS OF HIS/HER UNIT AND REFLECT GREAT CREDIT ON HIMSELF/HERSELF, THE “TEAM OF WINNERS” BRIGADE, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY.

FOR EXCEPTIONALLY MERITORIOUS SERVICE AND PERFORMANCE WHILE SERVING IN A VARIETY OF POSITIONS CULMINATING AS THE _____________. HIS/HER LEADERSHIP, EXPERTISE, AND PROFESSIONALISM IS OF THE HIGHEST CALIBER AND DISTINCTION, AND THUS, IT IS WITH GREAT HONOR THAT WE RECOGNIZE THIS SOLDIER’S SERVICE TO HIS/HER COUNTRY OVER THE PAST _______YEARS. __________SELFLESS SACRIFICE REFLECTS GREAT CREDIT UPON HIMSELF/HERSELF, THE “TEAM OF WINNERS” BRIGADE, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY.

EBB fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 13, 2011

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, it's just boilerplate I dug up and modified afterwards. I checked back with the unit, and we're going with entrance date to ETS date for the award, and I wrote bullet points based off of old NCOERs and my own observations since I wasn't deployed with him.

We shot for an MSM at first, but the BN XO said it wasn't going to happen. Based off of what I saw and comments from others, I can see why. My guy is a great soldier, but it would be very difficult to make a strong enough case. I would have shot for it anyways even though it would probably be downgraded, but I was flat out told to write it for an ARCOM. I know the form is going to get tweaked once I kick it up to the company commander, but I don't really see an ARCOM getting rejected for his ETS award.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:catstare:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's a lovely situation. I could put him in for an MSM, but it wouldn't even make it to the BC- my CO would kick it back for a re-write first. I'm a 1LT with no friends in staff and no staff time under my belt, meaning no options on the political side. What the gently caress am I supposed to do?

HCT, I know you're pissed, but that's how things are right now and I can't change it. Cut me some slack here, I'm not out to gently caress a good NCO out of an award.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Crushed, my nigga. :cheers:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Ah so gently caress. For an appeal for my recruiting thing I need an endorsement by the first General Officer in my chain of command. That dudes in Aberdeen. Any ideas on how to go about this?

edit: Also any of you officer or SNCOs want to write me a letter of recommendation :(

Dear Sir or Madam,

You should totally hire HCT, he is chill as gently caress.

Sincerely,

Captain Skinboat

PS: gently caress you.

Dictated but not read.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, I'd say T-62 as well. It has the cast dome turret, and the slightly flattened top means it's not a T-55.

E: Also, if you look real hard you can see the bore evacuator halfway down the gun tube.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep glop posted:

Oh I use the poo poo out of the vet card when it comes to police. $210 ticket and 4 points for 61 in a 40? Nah dawg $54 and no points, mad respect for the Army.

:whatup:

I got caught doing 83 in a 65 a week ago, cop dropped it to "Failure to Obey a Traffic Control Device". $45 ticket.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Slather polish on shoes. Put shoes in oven on low heat, polish melts into leather's pores. Use buffer brush to knock off excess polish.

For your appetizer, lightly toasted parade gloss. Your main will be getting shouted at by cadre with a dessert of tears and scrubbing toilets.

My uncle was in the Irish Army- he actually sprayed black spray paint on his shoes before formation one day.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep glop posted:

Need some more goon help here. Im looking to transfer NG units. I live in NJ but joined the PA guard after leaving active. My unit's armory moved so it's now a three hour drive for me and frankly isn't worth it. I'm not MOSQ in my unit yet, in a 13M in an MI company currently. The command is terrible, and it really is making me hate the guard. What can I do to possibly transfer to the NJ guard? I know I have to speak to my unit to but I have a feeling they'd try and dick me over.

Aren't you on the DMD? I thought you couldn't transfer if you were locked in for deployment.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Question about prescription meds. My private health provider has me on Valium. Other than bringing my prescription papers to drug screenings, do I need to do anything else in terms of notifying people? They're going to find out this weekend anyways, I have an SRC.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

combatarms.jpeg

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

No.

Yes there is. Just asking about it gets you put on double secret probation. :ssh:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Grampybone posted:

Go AWOL.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep glop posted:

Hypothetically, if I was ballin', would they let me rent an Abrams to joy ride in?

It takes eight gallons of jet fuel just to turn the damned engine on. Hope you have good credit!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

I find it cool that Captain America is apparently his own branch and that nwin's dad got to work with him.

The Adjutant General corps has to have something going for them.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

25 lighters posted:

What's up everyone. I start EFMB in a couple weeks and our battalion has been doing train up for it. Night land nav is killing me, we did one course which I failed miserable (1/5 points). We do another in a couple days. Just looking for some tips to help me through. I already been googling around and got some good tips.

In case you're wondering how I failed, I was treating this like I do usual day land nav (which I do fine), plot all points and just shoot a azimuth and walked.

One tip that helped me for night land nav was to look at the treetops and use a modified daytime compass-to-cheek method. Cheek your compass and get on the right azimuth, but instead of aiming at a tree trunk aim at a tree top. If you have enough visibility to see the top off the tree, it's a fairly good way of staying in a straight line.

Other than that, just use common sense. It's hard to terrain associate during night nav, but orienting your map and looking for prominent landmarks helps.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Planning follows the orders process with AAR following execution. As for getting the tank going, there's a checklist.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If the scouts survive long enough to point out the OPFOR before getting zapped, they've done their job. :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I like shoving the NBC hose into my jumpsuit as makeshift air conditioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The best part of riding in a tank is taking an old pair of earbuds and cutting off the buds. Then you can wrap the exposed wire leads into your charlie box input and pipe your mp3 player through the intercom into everybody's helmets.

• Locked thread